ADVERTISEMENT

Black Knight Invitational 11/19 on Flo

Hoping Levi now goes tomorrow at Black Knight. Basch seems to think it was Teemer that pulled out
Conceivably both withdrew, but if only one did, Teemer withdrawing makes more sense.

The event is avoiding intra-conference matches. So had Levi withdrawn, they could've gone to #2 Franek or #3 Robb and still had a marketable matchup. (#6 Lewan is not an appealing match for any opponent.) Had Teemer withdrawn, next up would be #5 Andonian (we saw how that went) or #7 Mauller.

Or Levi withdrew and the anti-Iowa conspiracy theory is true.

2 negatives = a positive. So you’re really saying Rutgers IS closing in on PSU.

PERENNIAL. BOOM!!
I'm still struggling to figure out how you consider yourself a perennial top ten program when you haven't beaten a top 10 team in a dual meet in 8 years,

Reactions: danoftw
Here’s that announcement from flo. Levi seemed to be adding knee protection as the journeyman progressed. Hope he’s ok.

Watching his first match live I cringed very early in the first period at what I thought should be called PD on Levi, but wasn't. He was definitely favoring it right after; and then came out taped for his next bout. Based on what I saw, would not be surprised if it's him that has been pulled.

Conceivably both withdrew, but if only one did, Teemer withdrawing makes more sense.

The event is avoiding intra-conference matches. So had Levi withdrawn, they could've gone to #2 Franek or #3 Robb and still had a marketable matchup. (#6 Lewan is not an appealing match for any opponent.) Had Teemer withdrawn, next up would be #5 Andonian (we saw how that went) or #7 Mauller.

Or Levi withdrew and the anti-Iowa conspiracy theory is true.
I would suspect both withdrew. Andonian vs. either guy is must-see.

Reactions: jrod65
I'm still struggling to figure out how you consider yourself a perennial top ten program when you haven't beaten a top 10 team in a dual meet in 8 years,
Reportedly, Scott Goodale was just heard muttering, "shut up, Matter, I'm tired of your nonstop chatroom crap."

Wait, someone else is reporting it was, "shyte clump, what's the matter with my mired program and its nonstop wrestling room crap."

Reactions: Brian LB-U
Actually, Rutgers should do well in this tournament. With half our team off to the All-Star event, they will have the top-ranked wrestler at 6 weights.

141 going to be juicy with Beau, Kasak and Evan’s all in the brackets.

MM with the 7 seed😀! BearClaw and Lee also in brackets

We should have our answer at 125 after today as well with Howard/Davis. Guessing McHenry hurt?

Reactions: mcpat and hlstone
Going to have to tune in to watch Nagao. Still sore over him leaving but glad he’s in a good spot and healthy. Will always cheer him on.

Side note for those interested, the true freshman that we managed to replace Nagao with is an absolute stud. Unranked recruit was initially committed to D2 St. Cloud State but flipped shortly after we had an opening. He’s undefeated so far with a tech over SDSU’s starter and just beat #16 Kurt Phipps from Bucknell pretty handedly last night. I think he can AA as a true freshman. Tyler Wells is his name.
Cael wants that kid too "0)

• Haha
Reactions: pish69
We should have our answer at 125 after today as well with Howard/Davis. Guessing McHenry hurt?
Howard, Steen, and Davis got the 4-5-6 seeds, respectively.

Which means we'll likely get Howard vs. Steen in the quarters (Round 2). And a finals match with Davis is plausible -- the Howard/Steen winner would get Army's Berginc in the semis (not easy but doable); Davis would get MSU's Lujan in the semis.

133: Nagao got the 1 seed, and a likely finals trip against Rutgers' Shawver. Should be a good one there.

Shunk opens with the 7 seed Kunz (N. Colorado). If he wins, then he gets Shawver next.

149: Heard is the 5, Pierce the 7. This weight is pretty bad, nobody of any note at all. Pierce has a decent shot at the finals -- 2 seed Butler (Rutgers) has a career losing record.

157: no PSU entries.

165: Lee and Bearclaw got the 4-5 seeds, will meet in the quarters. Winner gets MSU's Fish, who finished R12 at nationals last year.

Mesenbrink gets Binghamton's Cassella in the quarters. Cassella has won 1 match in 2 NCAA tourneys. That's his hardest match until the finals.

Reactions: hlstone and danoftw
174: Dunbar got the 4, Borden got the 6.

1-seed DJ Shannon is a RS JR whose best season was 7-10. Perhaps not the strongest weight.

I’m a little surprised seeing Beau at both these early season tournaments.

184: Barr got the 4 and opens with former PA state champ Kyle Swartz, who went 5-16 last year at 197 (which is surprising, because he was a little better than Ball in HS). Barr should reach the semis, where he'll get BInghamton's 3x NQ Nolan -- good early-season match for Barr.

Kelly is unseeded, opens with N. Colorado's 6-seed Donahue. MSU 4x NQ Malczewski is the 2 seed.

No PSU entries at 197 or 285.

So, confirmed, no Levi. Let the wild injury speculation and and weight theories begin. Will Levi and MM be swapping weights? Does Levi's knee mean he is out until January?

Heads up, to the extent this matters: the seeds on FloArena's live page do not match the seeds in the brackets. The actual matches are the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT