ADVERTISEMENT

Black Knight Invitational 11/19 on Flo

No PSU entries at 3 weights, and only 1 of our starters after 141 -- so Rutgers has a chance to win the event.

Brace yourselves for the Rutgers Beat Penn State headlines -- BOOM!
And then there’s SHP. He’ll feast on it for months

Looks like WOWY out of State College is going to be doing the wrestling, for any of you that have technical differences with LionVison.

Farmer, Davis' next opponent, is 6-1 this year with a MD over Dylan Ryder (who majored Howard last week) and a decision over Max Gallagher (another Howard loss). Ranked 44 by wrestlestat. Should be interesting...

Howard vs Steen, on deck mat 5, should be interesting. And I wouldn’t have thought so eight days ago.

Reactions: pish69
Farmer, Davis' next opponent, is 6-1 this year with a MD over Dylan Ryder (who majored Howard last week) and a decision over Max Gallagher (another Howard loss). Ranked 44 by wrestlestat. Should be interesting...
Davis 11-1 over Farmer.

Telling that Farmer took neutral to start the 3rd. Didn't want any more time on bottom against the true freshman.

A pretty good test for Davis and a very good result. I know that people are hand-wringing over our 125 situation, but this is the first time in a good long while that PSU has several decent options. If Steen were the guy, he's going to be arguably better than last year, maybe a 50/50 type of guy and a possible NQ. Obviously nobody really knows what's going on with Robbie Howard, who clearly doesn't seem himself, but he's hardly chopped liver and I'd guess that if he stays healthy he'll overcome some of the conditioning stuff and mental stuff. And, apparently Davis is looking pretty darn good. And, that's without even considering McHenry or possibly a 133 that might be able to make weight at 125. Like I said, multiple acceptable options, maybe even a couple of pretty good ones.

Davis wins 11-1 with almost 3 minutes of riding time.

There will be little debate once this tournament is over who our 125 starter should be.

0-0 after one. Steen vs Howard. Only real action was initiated by Steen.

Howard quick escape, 1-0 Howard. 7 secs RT for Steen. Break in action. Eye poke maybe.

A pretty good test for Davis and a very good result. I know that people are hand-wringing over our 125 situation, but this is the first time in a good long while that PSU has several decent options. If Steen were the guy, he's going to be arguably better than last year, maybe a 50/50 type of guy and a possible NQ. Obviously nobody really knows what's going on with Robbie Howard, who clearly doesn't seem himself, but he's hardly chopped liver and I'd guess that if he stays healthy he'll overcome some of the conditioning stuff and mental stuff. And, apparently Davis is looking pretty darn good. And, that's without even considering McHenry or possibly a 133 that might be able to make weight at 125. Like I said, multiple acceptable options, maybe even a couple of pretty good ones.
Davis majored Steen last week. He’s the guy moving forward, no doubt in my mind unless McHenry comes back healthy since we haven’t seen him

Steen shoots, gets in deep but Howard defends. Howard tries a throw but Steen defends. 1-0 Howard on the escape after two.

Steen reversal. Howard escape. 2-2 after three. 7 secs adv for Steen.

Davis majored Steen last week. He’s the guy moving forward, no doubt in my mind unless McHenry comes back healthy since we haven’t seen him

That's obviously the assumption that anyone would draw after what we've seen so far, my point being that we're not in desperation mode at 125 like we've been so frequently in the past.

Reactions: danoftw
That's obviously the assumption that anyone would draw after what we've seen so far, my point being that we're not in desperation mode at 125 like we've been so frequently in the past.
Hell. We can take -20 points at 125 this year and still blow away the field. It’s not desperation mode at all. It’s just shocking to me that a seemingly healthy Howard is so lost. I watched this kid in HS a bunch and can’t believe what I’m seeing of him

Evans vs Kasak another interesting wrestleoff

0-0 after one. No action.

Evans escapes in 17 secs. 1-0. Earned it. Kasak stayed with nicely on a standing granby. 1-0 Evans after two.

Kasak escapes in 9 secs. 1-1. Nice single by Evans but Kasak defends. 1-1 after three.

Kasak with a single and then underhook but Evans defends. Snap and shot by Kasak. OOB but stalling on Evans. 1-1 after 1st SV.

Evans escape in 14 secs. Kasak shoots and stalling on Evans as they go OOB. So it’s 2-2 instead of 2-1.

Kasak escapes and wins 3-2. Nice win for the freshman. We are deep at 141.

Last edited:
Evans vs Kasak another interesting wrestleoff

0-0 after one. No action.

Evans escapes in 17 secs. 1-0. Earned it. Kasak stayed with nicely on a standing granby. 1-0 Evans after two.

Kasak escapes in 9 secs. 1-1. Nice single by Evans but Kasak defends. 1-1 after three.

Kasak with a single and then underhook but Evans defends.
Per Byers, sounded like Kasak was more the aggressor in the 3rd period and the first OT. In fact, Evans dinged with a stall point, which essentially decided the bout.

Reactions: mcpat
Conceivably both withdrew, but if only one did, Teemer withdrawing makes more sense.

The event is avoiding intra-conference matches. So had Levi withdrawn, they could've gone to #2 Franek or #3 Robb and still had a marketable matchup. (#6 Lewan is not an appealing match for any opponent.) Had Teemer withdrawn, next up would be #5 Andonian (we saw how that went) or #7 Mauller.

Or Levi withdrew and the anti-Iowa conspiracy theory is true.
El Jefe, it amazes me how you keep up on all the data points. Kudos..

So the kid Pierce wrestled did nothing for the last period but tie up and hold on called for stalling with 3 seconds left should have been called in the first 30 seconds what a joke

Reactions: LOTOlion
Does anyone know if they roll right into the semis or will they break before that starts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT