ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Bassett thread

I have no problem with Bo. He is obviously a hard worker who is not afraid of tough competition. He isn't afraid to lose. He comes across as polite, intelligent and grateful. Of course he promotes himself. He does it better than most. I say good for Bo. Can you imagine the NIL offers he will get if he goes to Penn State? Local boy with local ties. Johnstown and State College could be a Gold mine for "Bo Knows......cars, ice cream, burgers" etc. I guess he would do pretty well at Pitt too. OOPS......I just threw up in my mouth a bit :)

Bo knows Sheetz and Wawa.

it is hard not to judge. Truth is, it is a different day and age and I would assume we would all do this if it were this, seemingly, easy. probably better than walking around mowing lawns :)

Im personally over it: If he comes here, fantastic, if he doesn't, all the best to the kid. One thing about this program: You are encouraged to be exactly who you want to be, and are never judged. There is no cookie cutter personality that you are forced to be. I will not judge this kid, ever, and sincerely hope he succeeds, wherever he goes. If it's not us, we will have to get by with the other generational talents already on the roster or on the way 😂

I agree the day and age has changed. I used to get summer jobs like most. Bo posts a video and gets 100,000 views and paid a few hundred. Guys if we had sons or daughters ranked number 1 and arguably the most popular HS wrestler of all time and in the NIL Era, we would most likely get them an agent too.
I think he would be crazy not to have representation and an agent for his nil/sponsorships. It’s easy to say we wouldn’t do that, but easier to say none of us or our kids could have. As long as he doesn’t start crazy stuff like the Ferrari’s I am fine with him changing the land scape. He definitely isn’t scared to think and do outside the box.

Most, including myself assumed all these videos and people all over him would cause a decline in his wrestling and honest it may have made him better the last year.
I still couldn’t imagine making cash posting videos and having my own Rudis contract and shirt selection at 17 or what he is.

Reactions: zzs006
I agree the day and age has changed. I used to get summer jobs like most. Bo posts a video and gets 100,000 views and paid a few hundred. Guys if we had sons or daughters ranked number 1 and arguably the most popular HS wrestler of all time and in the NIL Era, we would most likely get them an agent too.
I think he would be crazy not to have representation and an agent for his nil/sponsorships. It’s easy to say we wouldn’t do that, but easier to say none of us or our kids could have. As long as he doesn’t start crazy stuff like the Ferrari’s I am fine with him changing the land scape. He definitely isn’t scared to think and do outside the box.

Most, including myself assumed all these videos and people all over him would cause a decline in his wrestling and honest it may have made him better the last year.
I still couldn’t imagine making cash posting videos and having my own Rudis contract and shirt selection at 17 or what he is.
I don't know how things work so I was wondering, is PSU still a "Nike School" and if so, how would that work with Rudis if Bo went to PSU? I'll admit, I never looked at what shoes our wrestlers wear. Are they allowed to wear any brand? Rudis makes shoes right? Or no?

I don't know how things work so I was wondering, is PSU still a "Nike School" and if so, how would that work with Rudis if Bo went to PSU? I'll admit, I never looked at what shoes our wrestlers wear. Are they allowed to wear any brand? Rudis makes shoes right? Or no?
I thought Rudis made both left and right shoes. Anybody know for sure?

PSU definitely has needs at those weights in coming yrs. Question is do those boys want to be part of a dynasty and win championships or be like spencer and go somewhere where its all about them.

This thing about Spencer wanting to be where it was all about him, I don’t believe that. Spencer went where he believed his skills would be maximized.

Bo Bassett is going to go where he believes he is mostly likely going to get the most from his efforts.
Question is, if Bo goes somewhere other than PSU, who else follows him?

I want to say Young and Murin, but I know Young followed nobody. I think he was in 6th grade when he told me he was going to Iowa.
Young committed to Iowa before Kemerer did. Kemerer committed 2 years before Lee did.

Murin and Lee were both the same year (2017). Lee committed 4 months earlier.

Bigger point: the Spencer Lee Tree = Teasdale on-off-on-again, Murin, and a booted DeSanto. PSU got RBY, Nick Lee, Berge, Bartlett ... If Bassett goes elsewhere and others follow him, we'll be OK.

Last edited:
Young committed to Iowa before Kemerer did. Kemerer committed 2 years before Lee did.

Murin and Lee were both the same year (2017). Lee committed 4 months earlier.

Bigger point: the Spencer Lee Tree = Teasdale on-off-on-again, Murin, and a booted DeSanto. PSU got RBY, Nick Lee, Berge, Bartlett ... If Bassett goes elsewhere and others follow him, we'll be OK.
I agree. I'm maybe over thinking here, but I would assume wherever Bo goes then Melvin Miller will as well. Who knows, what if that then makes Jax Forrest want to continue a team with them and go as well. Now you have Bo, Melvin, Jax all in the lineup. Then could it pull Keegan Bassett two years later and then does it also pull Mario Hutcherson as well? Those are all Young Guns kids who are by far the best in the country. Then throw in a kid like Landon Sidun from Norwin? Maybe Munaretto and Stewart from Illinois. My brain is rolling now or maybe I am just overthinking.

I agree. I'm maybe over thinking here, but I would assume wherever Bo goes then Melvin Miller will as well. Who knows, what if that then makes Jax Forrest want to continue a team with them and go as well. Now you have Bo, Melvin, Jax all in the lineup. Then could it pull Keegan Bassett two years later and then does it also pull Mario Hutcherson as well? Those are all Young Guns kids who are by far the best in the country. Then throw in a kid like Landon Sidun from Norwin? Maybe Munaretto and Stewart from Illinois. My brain is rolling now or maybe I am just overthinking.
Way over-thinking. Miller and Keegan might join him. Then again, Mason Gibson is going to Rutgers. Beyond that, ????

Forrest seems bound to OKST regardless of Bassett's decision or anyone else's.

Bassett, Sidun, and Hutcherson are much more likely to go to 3 different schools than all go to one place. Then throw in the odds of the 2 IL kids joining them all at one school ...

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Young Guns was not and is not some monolithic portal to Iowa or anywhere else for that matter. I think Strittmayer plays it down the middle as he should. He loves his kids and gives them honest advice if they ask him for it. I'm sure Jody has a good working relationship with every top 10 head coach.

Reactions: McScoreley
Way over-thinking. Miller and Keegan might join him. Then again, Mason Gibson is going to Rutgers. Beyond that, ????

It's far more likely that Bassett, Sidun, and Hutcherson go to 3 different schools than all go to one place. And that (those 3 + the 2 IL kids) go to 5 schools than all to one.
Are we doomed perchance?

Is it finally time to fire Cael as a preventative measure for the inevitable decline that is to come?

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: SlipperyPete12
If what you describe happens and the school is Iowa (which isn't where Bassett is going) then it is pretty much certain as a group they will earn multiple AA finishes, probably zero NCAA titles and the concurrent group that goes to PSU will out perform then in number of AAs, number of individual titles and team titles.

Bassett, Sidun, and Hutcherson are much more likely to go to 3 different schools than all go to one place. Then throw in the odds of the 2 IL kids joining them all at one school ...
You are right. Bassett could bring Miller and Keegan Bassett with him based off family ties. I don't think Sidun trains at Young Guns and with the Bassett crew so he would probably not be a kid who necessarily follows them. I know Hutcherson is a Young Guns kid and I'm almost positive he trains with Bassett and that crew. Him being an elite upper weight should have him drooling over PSU. Instead of the Munaretto kid from Illinois, go get Joe Bachmann. This is all just over thinking but fun to talk about.

Young Guns was not and is not some monolithic portal to Iowa or anywhere else for that matter. I think Strittmayer plays it down the middle as he should. He loves his kids and gives them honest advice if they ask him for it. I'm sure Jody has a good working relationship with every top 10 head coach.
I guess you are right. I just assumed Strittmatter being an Iowa guy and then Spencer and those other Young Guns kids going there, he had something to do with it. But it makes sense because Welsh, Kilkeary, and Arrington all chose different places.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT