ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Bassett thread

I think too many folks are making judgement and should not. If you don't like it, don't seek it
So you are okay with a kid disrespecting 7 programs every week? I'm not okay with that. The sport and the PSU program are greater than one selfish kid. If this is who Bo Bassert is, I hope to hell he doesn't pick Penn State. Everyone saying Bo is a great kid, I'm not seeing it in him or his father. I would never want my kid to do this and it is a very big red flag to me. No matter what any of you think, this isn't okay. Wake up. This isn't the Bachelor.

Last edited:
So you are okay with a kid disrespecting 7 programs every week? I'm not okay with that. The sport and the PSU program are greater than one selfish kid. If this is who Bo Bassert is, I hope to hell he doesn't pick Penn State. Everyone saying Bo is a great kid, I'm not seeing it in him or his father. I would never want my kid to do this and it is a very big red flag to me. No matter what any of you think, this isn't okay. Wake up. This isn't the Bachelor.
Some friendly advice. Don’t follow his recruitment. Don’t follow him on social media. Just wait the 10 months that his recruitment will take. You’ll definitely hear when he makes his selection. If it’s PSU, be happy. If it’s not PSU, be happy knowing we will probably win every team title during the 4-5 years that Bo will be in college.

I remember being so sad when Marsteller decommitted. I thought our dynasty was over when it had just got going. Then we had to settle for some bum named Jason Nolf.

Fast forward a few years and Spencer Lee chose Iowa. I thought, welp, that was fun while it lasted. A few years later Spencer gets pinned in the semis. The next year we had TWO 4 time champions.

Don’t waste your time worrying what a soon to be 11th grader does during his recruitment. That’s a recipe for disaster. Trust Cael. That’s clearly a recipe for happiness.

I agree -- let Ohio State have Bo Bassert.

Hopefully we instead get Bo Bassett.

There's a chance PSU gets none of the 3.
It's simple, they either go to PSU or they become finalists but not champs, they become Pan-Am champs but never world team members. There's a reason all of the best guys go to PSU, because just being a top guy isn't enough, you gotta have that secret sauce to become the best.

To be clear......if a new recruit lists his top 5 immediately....he has disrespected 75 college wrestling schools as soon as he posts his 5 finalists. Apparently that is just fine by you. But if he lists all 80 D1 wrestling schools initially and narrows it down weekly instead of immediately......that is such a high crime it eliminates that recruit from consideration by PSU in your mind. Do you honestly believe Bloomsburg was highly offended by having their school's logo on a recruits profile that is seen by thousands upon thousands of people for a full week. Apparently not even being recognized is way worse in your mind. You are on the wrong side of logical analysis on this one. .....PS: I will be so pissed off when UPJ gets eliminated. I will demand that PSU not recruit him for promoting and then dissing my favorite DII school.

the simpsons adult GIF

Not sure why this bothers you? The kid is having fun and I think it’s good for wrestling. I find it disrespecting programs. Wrestlers can only pick one program.
Reading between the lines you have sour grapes with him or it looks like Bo’s dad.
Like stated above quit following then, we want him to PSU.

You must be a troll or just very woke, that you feel for other programs feelings because a HS kid has a list and checking them off.

I am a late 50's white guy. I accept that I do not understand social media, guys with long hair, tattoos and piercings. All these things are essentially noise and really having nothing to do with the person's integrity, abilities, etc. We should try to avoid coming anywhere near the guy who wrote a letter to the editor in the newspaper (about 3 to 5 years ago) that ripped Jonathan Sunderland because he did not fit his image of a PSU football player.

One way to look Bassett's social media is that some high school wrestler now knows that SIU-Edwardsville has a wrestling program. Bassett is not ripping their programs, yes it is to build his social media following which is ultimately money in his pocket.

Bo's list gave some public exposure to programs that generally get very little to none. How does that old saying go, "bad publicity (which is very subjective here) is better than no publicity." When was the last time Gardner-Webb wrestling was part of the wrestling conversation?

The second positive from Bo's listing is it implies initially the number 1 recruit was open minded to every program in the country. Not a bad thing.

The last consideration is just a personal pet peeve of mine. The kid generates income from his social media presence and it simply boggles my mine how some adults are so causal in their willingness to dismiss someone else's (especially a younger person's) earned income.

He is making money publicizing himself, 80 wrestling programs and wrestling in general. For the life of me I have yet to see a single example of a negative.

I am a late 50's white guy. I accept that I do not understand social media, guys with long hair, tattoos and piercings. All these things are essentially noise and really having nothing to do with the person's integrity, abilities, etc. We should try to avoid coming anywhere near the guy who wrote a letter to the editor in the newspaper (about 3 to 5 years ago) that ripped Jonathan Sunderland because he did not fit his image of a PSU football player.

One way to look Bassett's social media is that some high school wrestler now knows that SIU-Edwardsville has a wrestling program. Bassett is not ripping their programs, yes it is to build his social media following which is ultimately money in his pocket.
Great post!

To be clear......if a new recruit lists his top 5 immediately....he has disrespected 75 college wrestling schools as soon as he posts his 5 finalists. Apparently that is just fine by you. But if he lists all 80 D1 wrestling schools initially and narrows it down weekly instead of immediately......that is such a high crime it eliminates that recruit from consideration by PSU in your mind. Do you honestly believe Bloomsburg was highly offended by having their school's logo on a recruits profile that is seen by thousands upon thousands of people for a full week. Apparently not even being recognized is way worse in your mind. You are on the wrong side of logical analysis on this one. .....PS: I will be so pissed off when UPJ gets eliminated. I will demand that PSU not recruit him for promoting and then dissing my favorite DII school.
Everyone knows including him that only a certain few schools are in the running.

Reactions: vhsalum
Bo's list gave some public exposure to programs that generally get very little to none. How does that old saying go, "bad publicity (which is very subjective here) is better than no publicity." When was the last time Gardner-Webb wrestling was part of the wrestling conversation?

The second positive from Bo's listing is it implies initially the number 1 recruit was open minded to every program in the country. Not a bad thing.

The last consideration is just a personal pet peeve of mine. The kid generates income from his social media presence and it simply boggles my mine how some adults are so causal in their willingness to dismiss someone else's (especially a younger person's) earned income.

He is making money publicizing himself, 80 wrestling programs and wrestling in general. For the life of me I have yet to see a single example of a negative.
i don't like it but I get it and won't really say much about it. Certain old ways have gone by the wayside due to social media and I do not think it's a really good thing.

Reactions: Lyons212
there is not disrespect intended. You're saying if I choose a school, then by default I disrespected all the others. Similarly when I put out a list with 5 schools. C'mon. People want to know this and that is why it is happening. we, as adults, spend way too much analyzing others statements, as if they had a whole PR team. No one is perfect and that includes those making these judgements.

we're sure this isn't tongue in cheek? feels like the same energy as when i'm at a baseball game and team gives up a hit in the first inning and i turn to whoever i'm with and say "welp, there goes the no hitter."
Of course it was tongue in cheek, but there is a hint of truth in most every joke. I've known Bo to be a good kid for a number if years and certainly admire what he's done. At the same time this latest shtick has me rolling my eyes. If you post something for attention, then it's fair game for people to have an opinion on it.

Does't change my opinion of him, but I wouldn't do it that way.

Some friendly advice. Don’t follow his recruitment. Don’t follow him on social media. Just wait the 10 months that his recruitment will take. You’ll definitely hear when he makes his selection. If it’s PSU, be happy. If it’s not PSU, be happy knowing we will probably win every team title during the 4-5 years that Bo will be in college.

I remember being so sad when Marsteller decommitted. I thought our dynasty was over when it had just got going. Then we had to settle for some bum named Jason Nolf.

Fast forward a few years and Spencer Lee chose Iowa. I thought, welp, that was fun while it lasted. A few years later Spencer gets pinned in the semis. The next year we had TWO 4 time champions.

Don’t waste your time worrying what a soon to be 11th grader does during his recruitment. That’s a recipe for disaster. Trust Cael. That’s clearly a recipe for happiness.
well this article is just a waste why even mention it till he maybe picks a top 5??

Reactions: Ski
Of course it was tongue in cheek, but there is a hint of truth in most every joke. I've known Bo to be a good kid for a number if years and certainly admire what he's done. At the same time this latest shtick has me rolling my eyes. If you post something for attention, then it's fair game for people to have an opinion on it.

Yep

Making a list......checking it twice (as of Wednesday). You must think that Santa is the Devil 😀

You're correct. Most every joke has a hint (or more) of truth. That's what makes them funny.

But a joke is still a joke. Coach Elliott was having fun.

Am I the only person who finds it disrespectful that programs who are serious about growing their programs are being used as cannon fodder in one young mans attempt to grow his wallet? Is this what we want? Each week he disrespects 7 more programs? I don't like this at all.
Way of the world. Social media makes self-promotion effortless. I don’t partake (other than here and GIA), but young athletes certainly will. Old-school folk raised to be humble won’t like self-hype, but if legal and non-violent, we grin and bear it. Or voice irritation, like you have. Great thing is, as individuals, you’re free to gripe and Bo’s free to build a money-earning “brand” that harms no one, not even the schools he crosses off his list.
The context to Lion wrestling? It’d be great to get him, and exciting to oppose him. The juggernaut moves on, regardless.

Aren’t you that Iowa guy that lost a bet and had to change to a PSU name? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Reactions: Pitteefool
I saw the GW coach as having a bit of fun. When I saw the reaction here I thought maybe I missed some context but after looking at a few more posts on his account, I'm pretty certain this was tongue-in-cheek.

Reactions: psumacw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT