ADVERTISEMENT

Burroughs drama/Willie wantin' some perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you speak the truth, you need to speak the whole truth.

That fan was out of line, but why was there no mention of Burrows' and Manning's actions during and after the previous match? You are disingenuous if you think that wouldn't piss off any fan base.
There are literally dozens of fans next to that dip$hit giving JB a standing ovation. Let's be real here. Quit pandering.

Reactions: SUPERTODD
The Olympic trials is why I came today. This is just bonus material!
How was your suspension?

close-door-the-office.gif

How was your suspension?

close-door-the-office.gif
Unfortunate that happend right before nationals. I like the back and forth during that tournament. I think it was because I said "crap" when Johnstownsteel said he was going to post more on themat.com
Of all the things over the years that was the feather? Weak

The Olympic trials is why I came today. This is just bonus material!
Nothing wrong with this thread. Stop getting your panties in a bunch. It's a message board for people to state their opinions. Just because you don't agree now it's oooooh this thread is gold lmfao. Save your drama for your Iowa buddies lmfao

Reactions: Ski
Manning is a crybaby and JB is a dick, and I don't give a damn if my own local pastor is their buddy. I always liked Willie Saylor, and am disappointed that he laid into our fans. I'll continue to follow Willie, as he is an excellent commentator for our sport, but this wasn't a good moment for him, or JB, or the few idiots in the crowd that heckled them. With that said, they didn't exactly show any kind of class on their end either.

Nothing wrong with this thread. Stop getting your panties in a bunch. It's a message board for people to state their opinions. Just because you don't agree now it's oooooh this thread is gold lmfao. Save your drama for your Iowa buddies lmfao
I said the thread is Gold. That's it

I don’t know that any of that is how we got here.

We got here when a fan yelled at a guy to retire and his team apparently went in the stands. Then wrestling media called State College dumb for not throwing JB a paradcpuld e.
He didn't just heckle. He heckled because like a lot of people, he took exception to what Burroughs said a month ago. Had Burroughs not made the knee comment, had he not responded to Bo ad hominem, then he
I don’t know that any of that is how we got here.

We got here when a fan yelled at a guy to retire and his team apparently went in the stands. Then wrestling media called State College dumb for not throwing JB a parade.

You think if there wasn't a month long build-up and two personal shots at 2 Penn State legends the guy would have said beans?

He went heel and some guy went WWE.

End this thread. Not condoning stupid things said by fans. PSUs showing in the the NCAA finals made a mockery of the competition. If PSU continues to dominate the sport in this fashion, any thing said by a PSU wrestler or fan will get overblown. Take it as a compliment.

He didn't just heckle. He heckled because like a lot of people, he took exception to what Burroughs said a month ago. Had Burroughs not made the knee comment, had he not responded to Bo ad hominem, then he

You think if there wasn't a month long build-up and two personal shots at 2 Penn State legends the guy would have said beans?

None of us know why this particular individual heckled.

Any comment along these lines is really "why I would've heckled if I were him," or "these are reasons someone in the stands might have heckled."

Reactions: donboy6499

Maybe… But I think what the guy said was closer to beans than something insulting in the first place. It was all a nothing, no lines crossed but folks wanted to tweet out like it was some giant disrespect to JB.

i'll tell you guys right now, i've heard horrible, horrible things in REC and BJC.

the worst was seeing a whole section really ragging on an opposing wrestler's mother.

it was uncomfortable and unconscionable.

and it wasn't isolated. even at PSU Opens over a decade ago.

and i've said the same thing on HR a few years back.

I was next to Mark Hall when there were racial stuff being shouted. i talked to him about it afterward.

it's obviously not the entire fan base, but the good ones need to discourage the crap.
What are these things you heard at Rec? I’ve been to many more matches than you. I toed the line on the team, and as an opponent. Let’s back up your talk.

What are these things you heard at Rec? I’ve been to many more matches than you. I toed the line on the team, and as an opponent. Let’s back up your talk.
Feels a lot like Willie pointing “over there” so we can turn our heads away from the point at hand: what the guy said wasn’t bad last night.

No fanbase is perfect, but what was said in 2014 to someone’s mom changes the irrationality of the media’s response last night and today not at all. You can say the guy did nothing wrong and JB was hurt from losing so he reacted poorly (or his entourage did). It’s really ok.

Reactions: billrag
None of us know why this particular individual heckled.

Any comment along these lines is really "why I would've heckled if I were him," or "these are reasons someone in the stands might have heckled."

I'm a bettin' man. I write options every week. I almost always win, because know how to read the tea leaves.

When the market's up and your stock is down, it's something to do with the stock?

Did <i>anybody</i> yell <i>at any other wrestler</i>?

I'm a bettin' man. I write options every week. I almost always win, because know how to read the tea leaves.

When the market's up and your stock is down, it's something to do with the stock?

Did <i>anybody</i> yell <i>at any other wrestler</i>?
Counterpoint:

If they did, we wouldn’t know. That’s the entire crux of why this is all so stupid.

you can say anything you want.

cheer for anyone you want. root against anyone you want.

but when/if you say scumbag things i'm allowed to say you said scumbag things.

for the umpteenth time, it's not about this one incident.

and if the shoe was on the other foot - if this was an iowa fan, i would be saying the same thing and you'd be agreeing with me.

you're being tribal and defensive.
And you have lost your mind.
First, could you please stop your let me apologize for Mark Manning's and Jordan Burroughs' boorish little boy bullshyt. Manning acts like a clown and is treated like a circus clown and you lecture this entire board for labeling him a clown. Burroughs has been playing the role of a self-centered jackass and then asks ''oh my God, why are people treating me like I am a self-centered jackass''. Burroughs got the fan reaction he ask for.
Second, I have been to hundreds of Penn State matches going as far back as the 1960s and if you are going to tell me you have routinely heard Penn State wrestling fans say creepy, disgusting, hateful things to visiting athletes I am calling you a liar.

I have no idea why you have some bizarre and strange need to lecture lately, but my God could you put the 12 pack down and try and stay focused and not continually move goalposts or broader and/or deepen the subject pond looking for some silly crap to stick.

I remember when wrestling news was hard to find. It’s cool that the small wrestling world has a little Perez Hilton mixed with Morton Downey Jr. type media coverage.
Social media has made a lot of “news” more available but wrestling still seems to drop the ball when it has opportunities like these OTTs to capitalize on gaining a new audience. Tonight’s schedule was brutal and can’t imagine it brought in many new fans. If WBB can have more viewers than MBB for the championship game, wrestling needs to figure it out at the top.

This is the Hawkeye Report 6 years ago.

no one wants to be honest, they want positive PR.
Several posters have said kick the guy out.

What more honesty do you want? To have no idiots at wrestling matches? Several posters have said that there are idiots at every gym. If the goal is no idiots, Godspeed my friend.

But I still think that is all diversion to this event. A guy yelled something innocuous. You think the wrestling community should be better than innocuous. When did y’all get so soft? I’m literally that fan you grow the sport folks want and I’m beginning to think you all just want this to be golf with more bruises. Sorry but that’s not the identity of wrestling or wrestlers.

But you know that, of course. You defended your boy because you had to, and now the implications of it are so ridiculous that you have to keep justifying ridiculous.

And you have lost your mind.
First, could you please stop your let me apologize for Mark Manning's and Jordan Burroughs' boorish little boy bullshyt. Manning acts like a clown and is treated like a circus clown and you lecture this entire board for labeling him a clown. Burroughs has been playing the role of a self-centered jackass and then asks ''oh my God, why are people treating me like I am a self-centered jackass''. Burroughs got the fan reaction he ask for.
Second, I have been to hundreds of Penn State matches going as far back as the 1960s and if you are going to tell me you have routinely heard Penn State wrestling fans say creepy, disgusting, hateful things to visiting athletes I am calling you a liar.

I have no idea why you have some bizarre and strange need to lecture lately, but my God could you put the 12 pack down and try and stay focused and not continually move goalposts or broader and/or deepen the subject pond looking for some silly crap to stick.
The part in bold cannot be underscored enough. I have gone to hundreds of events at Penn State. There is not a more polite fanbase to opposing fans. Willie is lying. We can all opine about the reasons, but the fact he is a liar on this issue should not be dismissed.

The part in bold cannot be underscored enough. I have gone to hundreds of events at Penn State. There is not a more polite fanbase to opposing fans. Willie is lying. We can all opine about the reasons, but the fact he is a liar on this issue should not be dismissed.
I can’t speak to what is/isn’t said. Never been to a wrestling match in SC.

I’m attempting to understand how wrestling wants more fans, but some of the most important folks in the media think it won’t bring in fans that are used to acting like fanatics.

Feels like Augusta National is the goal, which is beautiful and I’ve been to. But I don’t go to Sheetz for filet mignon, and don’t think you’ll ever get a wrestling match without folks being more fanatics than fans.

JB literally engaged in back and forth w CStar about “ending his career”.

CStar’s teammate beats him. Probably ending JB’s career.

Fan yells “your career is ended!”,

OMG how can the fan be so horrible!?!?!!?!

WTF?

Can we not be better than that?

i keep seeing 'but what about fans in other sports? geez you're soft'

how about we just be better humans?
Words I generally didn't think I would write-- I agree with Willie 100%. Don't we hold ourselves to a little better standard? Shouldn't we? I was bummed by JB's head shove, I was bummed by the crowd after the Nolf loss. I became a Penn State fan because of the way the wrestlers wrestle and how they behave on the mat. all the JB/Fan stuff was a little cringy this weekend... I think we can all do better...

Words I generally didn't think I would write-- I agree with Willie 100%. Don't we hold ourselves to a little better standard? Shouldn't we? I was bummed by JB's head shove, I was bummed by the crowd after the Nolf loss. I became a Penn State fan because of the way the wrestlers wrestle and how they behave on the mat. all the JB/Fan stuff was a little cringy this weekend... I think we can all do better...
There’s nothing wrong with holding to a higher standard. I just think there’s a line where you’re trying to hold to an impossible standard.

Look, don’t let Smalls be an illusionist here. If this were 99.9% of wrestlers, he doesn’t tweet a word and no one ever knows it happened. It’s his boy who’s coached by his boys. Again, I wouldn’t say that to a wrestler coming off. I also wouldn’t cover my kids ears.

The response to that is, “Well Burroughs is the goat you don’t treat him like the other 99.9%”. Ok. But my goodness, that’s an opinion, and that’s fine to hold to, but good luck threading that needle of making this anything but a niche sport.

Reactions: Ski and Hotshoe
Again- it was ONE fan that yelled your career is ended! Out of the entire BJC- after a month of JB and Co. taking cheap shots at PSU. The fans didn’t start a We Hate- J B chant. Though, that would have made things interesting 😉

Last edited:
If you believe you can hold individuals to higher standards, good luck with that. I understand what you're saying, but in the end, we're not a police state, and you can't control individual reactions.

As far as someone coming on here, chastising our fan base, then sanctimoniously acting like we need to be better? GTHOOH. Go preach to someone who cares. I've never booed anyone in my life, but we do have a 1st Amendment in this country, and I'm sure as hell not going to blow out of proportion a few fans heckling a wrestler who was an absolute sh&t on the mat. It is what it is, and someone is looking for drama to remain relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT