ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Prime

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
How long does coach "Prime" last, he is pulling offers and telling kids to go "portal". Not sure ultra-tough guy stuff flies, kids have options.

Reactions: voltz99
How long does coach "Prime" last, he is pulling offers and telling kids to go "portal". Not sure ultra-tough guy stuff flies, kids have options.
What he is doing seems completely logical given the current college football framework. The framework is the problem, not Sanders.

As far as how long he lasts, if he wins he lasts a long time, if he loses he doesn't.

I like his energy and enthusiasm for the game. Unfortunately if he doesn't evolve with the game he's going to burn alot of bridges. He already made a name for himself at JSU. Now before he gets to Colorado he tells the schools recruits to look elsewhere. Seven have already decommitted. Very late in the game for recruits to start looking elsewhere when you future coach doesn't want you.

Truthfully, I'd rather him pull scholarships and tell kids to portal then just not play them once they got there. Kids are always going to want to play for him because of who he is.

Very late in the game for recruits to start looking elsewhere when you future coach doesn't want you.
But this happens to a lot of kids when coaches move on for any reason. It's the danger of committing early but there's also risk in waiting. The kids and schools are in a tough position but why would they still want to go to Colorado if the new coach doesn't want them? They'd be in the portal in a few months anyway.

It all depends on how well his son plays at quarterback next year. His son was very good playing in the conference they were playing at, but it’s a whole different ball game now. If his son progresses and has a solid year, he may be gone as soon as his kid goes.

It all depends on how well his son plays at quarterback next year. His son was very good playing in the conference they were playing at, but it’s a whole different ball game now. If his son progresses and has a solid year, he may be gone as soon as his kid goes.
Agree and I’m interested to see how he handles the management aspects of a D1 program and all that goes with it. Hope he has good people around him. I watched the Southern game and there’s going to be quite a jump.

Worst case scenario is that there is excitement around their program again. They have had a winning record just a few times over the last 20 years.

I think he will fit in at Colorado because he can tell everyone what to do. He is such an Alpha and the Colorado program is not so he can kind of rule the roost. Issue is if he goes to a school that has a much richer football history he will start to butt heads.

He is such an Alpha and the Colorado program is not so he can kind of rule the roost.
I love Deion and think he is one of the finest football players to ever play the game but it doesn't seem very "alpha" or "competitive" to name someone the starting quarterback without even competing for the spot against current players or recruits. In fact its the opposite of alpha and competitive. If the kid is so good and so much better than everyone else on the roster it should be apparent after a few practices competing against the other athletes in the program.

I applaud his honesty. He didn’t recruit the kids, apparently evaluated the class. Told the ones he knew wouldn’t contribute to look elsewhere. Kept offers/commitments of ones who could fit into his plan. Upfront and honest unlike the many threads I have read about “processing” in the SEC. I would love to see Coach Prime resurrect the Colorado program to the Bill McCartney days. It will be fun to watch either way.

I applaud his honesty. He didn’t recruit the kids, apparently evaluated the class. Told the ones he knew wouldn’t contribute to look elsewhere. Kept offers/commitments of ones who could fit into his plan. Upfront and honest unlike the many threads I have read about “processing” in the SEC. I would love to see Coach Prime resurrect the Colorado program to the Bill McCartney days. It will be fun to watch either way.
There is nothing honest about making assumptions, they are just opinions, whether ill or well formed.
Bill Belicheck and Nick Saban don't go naming starters before actually evaluating players.
College "kids" can develop or change a lot in just an offseason based on their drive, work ethic, growth or things going on in their life. Did Urban Meyer make the 6-7 Ohio State football team a 12-0 team in an offseason with new players or did he just motivate them, coach them and properly place them?

Tom Brady wasn't supposed to be the quarterback , Drew Henson was.
Matt McGloin wasn't supposed to be the quarterback, Paul Jones or Rob Bolden were.
Stetson Bennett wasn't supposed to be the quarterback, JT Daniels was.

There is nothing alpha or wise about marketing or nepotism or favoritism or whatever you want to call it.

I love Deion and think he is one of the finest football players to ever play the game but it doesn't seem very "alpha" or "competitive" to name someone the starting quarterback without even competing for the spot against current players or recruits. In fact its the opposite of alpha and competitive. If the kid is so good and so much better than everyone else on the roster it should be apparent after a few practices competing against the other athletes in the program.
He said his son would have to compete for it. Did you watch the presser?

Reactions: Cap Levi
Neon will last three years after 3 dismal seasons. His mojo is no fit in Boulder. Most of his guys following him are D2. He’s a fish out of water!

He said his son would have to compete for it. Did you watch the presser?
He said "this is your quarterback" then said, "but he's gonna have to earn it."
Seems fair, like a no bid contract.
It is well documented that he announced that Shedur Sanders is the Buffalo's starting quarterback for 2023, mind you the little asterisk that says, "he'll have to earn it." That's like putting the cart ahead of the horse.
Typically in sports you earn it then you become the starter but he's an NFL Hall of Famer so whatever he says is right.
I'm sure the other QB's on the roster feel it will be a real free and fair competition.

Reactions: bluewhiteApos
There is nothing honest about making assumptions, they are just opinions, whether ill or well formed.
Bill Belicheck and Nick Saban don't go naming starters before actually evaluating players.
College "kids" can develop or change a lot in just an offseason based on their drive, work ethic, growth or things going on in their life. Did Urban Meyer make the 6-7 Ohio State football team a 12-0 team in an offseason with new players or did he just motivate them, coach them and properly place them?

Tom Brady wasn't supposed to be the quarterback , Drew Henson was.
Matt McGloin wasn't supposed to be the quarterback, Paul Jones or Rob Bolden were.
Stetson Bennett wasn't supposed to be the quarterback, JT Daniels was.

There is nothing alpha or wise about marketing or nepotism or favoritism or whatever you want to call it.
I appreciate your thoughts. I would say then, based on your post, recruiting itself as a whole is an assumption. Why would Saban not take more 3 star or lower recruits to “develop”? Because he’s assuming they won’t help Alabama win. Sure the Brady/Henson situation fits your narrative, but the most of the time it is a very clear difference in skill set and talent, coaches don’t have the luxury in most cases of developing mass portions of the roster. (Old model: take project players -Practice for 2 years compete for starting spot as junior/senior), especially now in the world of NIL and portal. They absolutely need a bulk of play now guys.
Currently going through the recruiting process for a different sport with my son. I can say I appreciate the coach who tells him, we have other options or you aren’t what we are looking for…. I view the coach prime situation the same, why should he be obligated to take guys that he doesn’t want? They were recruited by a different regime, they have not signed a letter of intent. They are free to move/de-commit at anytime if they found a better fit or situation. No one would have an issue if a kid de-commits from Colorado after Karl Dorel was fired.

From Jason Whitlock:

“I predicted wrongly that Deion would not leave Jackson State for Colorado, I didn’t think it was a good enough job and it kind of shocked me and surprised me. It speaks to Deion’s desperation to get away from Jackson State. He didn’t want to struggle anymore, so he’s run off to Colorado where he can get better facilities, a bigger paycheck, and access to better athletes. My number one takeaway— as Black people, we would rather beg than build our own. That’s what this whole Deion Sanders situation truly illustrates. Rather than build our own great program, dynasty, legacy, and platform, we would rather go beg White people to give us access to their platform. You won’t hear one Black celebrity going ‘I’m mad Deion left Jackson State because I was going to donate $50 million to Jackson State’s football program in order to keep that thing rolling.’ You won’t hear P. Diddy say that, you won’t hear LeBron James say that, you won’t hear Dr. Dre, who gave $70 million to USC, say that, you won’t hear Oprah Winfrey, you won’t hear any of the alleged ‘pro-Blacks’ talking today about donating money to Jackson State. You know why? Because we think the White man’s ice is colder, and we don’t believe in building anything of our own. Anything that is ‘all-Black’, we don’t think is any good, so we don’t build it, we don’t invest in it, and we certainly don’t support it over the long haul… I don’t think Deion Sanders is going to be successful at Colorado. I HATED his speech to his players at Colorado yesterday. This guy thinks he’s Jesus Christ. Coaches need to talk about ‘WE’ not ‘I’. I don’t see this working over the long haul. I think it’s great what he did at Jackson State, he recruited more talent than everyone at Jackson State and that’s why he won. In the Pac-12 he will not recruit more talent than everyone else. He’s actually going to have to coach, motivate, and lead. Promising your son and other players jobs before a practice has even been played?? Doesn’t work for me… He doesn’t want to do the hard work of turning Jackson State into a premiere football institution and I think he had a chance to do that if the Black celebrities who love to talk about how ‘pro-Black’ they are had dumped their money in Jackson State. What Deion is leaving for is what Black people do all the time. ‘I want to go work at that White institution where their White alumni actually support that institution.’ Black people, we don’t support our own institutions. He said Jackson State was crime-ridden, Deion wanted out of there as fast as possible, and that’s what is irritating people… [Discussing Deion’s introductory meeting with Colorado players] I would have walked out. This guy is making it all about him, this is idolatry at the highest level. It’s self-idolatry. This will not work. No head coach who has had any kind of success gave that kind of speech. Coaches don’t talk that way, it’s about the kids. It’s all inappropriate, Deion doesn’t play by any set of rules, you can do that at the SWAC [conference]. He’s about to get eaten alive by Pac-12 coaches that are irate that he’s going to be trying to entice their kids to get into the transfer portal. This is not going to work. I would have walked out of that meeting, DUECES, Deion.”

From Jason Whitlock:

“I predicted wrongly that Deion would not leave Jackson State for Colorado, I didn’t think it was a good enough job and it kind of shocked me and surprised me. It speaks to Deion’s desperation to get away from Jackson State. He didn’t want to struggle anymore, so he’s run off to Colorado where he can get better facilities, a bigger paycheck, and access to better athletes. My number one takeaway— as Black people, we would rather beg than build our own. That’s what this whole Deion Sanders situation truly illustrates. Rather than build our own great program, dynasty, legacy, and platform, we would rather go beg White people to give us access to their platform. You won’t hear one Black celebrity going ‘I’m mad Deion left Jackson State because I was going to donate $50 million to Jackson State’s football program in order to keep that thing rolling.’ You won’t hear P. Diddy say that, you won’t hear LeBron James say that, you won’t hear Dr. Dre, who gave $70 million to USC, say that, you won’t hear Oprah Winfrey, you won’t hear any of the alleged ‘pro-Blacks’ talking today about donating money to Jackson State. You know why? Because we think the White man’s ice is colder, and we don’t believe in building anything of our own. Anything that is ‘all-Black’, we don’t think is any good, so we don’t build it, we don’t invest in it, and we certainly don’t support it over the long haul… I don’t think Deion Sanders is going to be successful at Colorado. I HATED his speech to his players at Colorado yesterday. This guy thinks he’s Jesus Christ. Coaches need to talk about ‘WE’ not ‘I’. I don’t see this working over the long haul. I think it’s great what he did at Jackson State, he recruited more talent than everyone at Jackson State and that’s why he won. In the Pac-12 he will not recruit more talent than everyone else. He’s actually going to have to coach, motivate, and lead. Promising your son and other players jobs before a practice has even been played?? Doesn’t work for me… He doesn’t want to do the hard work of turning Jackson State into a premiere football institution and I think he had a chance to do that if the Black celebrities who love to talk about how ‘pro-Black’ they are had dumped their money in Jackson State. What Deion is leaving for is what Black people do all the time. ‘I want to go work at that White institution where their White alumni actually support that institution.’ Black people, we don’t support our own institutions. He said Jackson State was crime-ridden, Deion wanted out of there as fast as possible, and that’s what is irritating people… [Discussing Deion’s introductory meeting with Colorado players] I would have walked out. This guy is making it all about him, this is idolatry at the highest level. It’s self-idolatry. This will not work. No head coach who has had any kind of success gave that kind of speech. Coaches don’t talk that way, it’s about the kids. It’s all inappropriate, Deion doesn’t play by any set of rules, you can do that at the SWAC [conference]. He’s about to get eaten alive by Pac-12 coaches that are irate that he’s going to be trying to entice their kids to get into the transfer portal. This is not going to work. I would have walked out of that meeting, DUECES, Deion.”
Wow !

From Jason Whitlock:

Wow.

One of the problems with success is that those left behind suggest that you 'abandoned" them. I am not a big Prime fan but he elevated Jackson State. So rather than celebrate that, which would cause more talent to want to take on such a task, he gets trashed for leaving. So why would the next coach want to take that Jackson State job knowing they will get trashed if they are successful and leaving? And when I mean "trashed", I don't mean people being upset you were money motivated but that you turned your back on your people.

I know lots of pro-athletes really struggle because their old friends bring them down. Often, they bring bad women, drugs, and habits with them to parties and such. When they get disinvited, they lash out.

Wow.

One of the problems with success is that those left behind suggest that you 'abandoned" them. I am not a big Prime fan but he elevated Jackson State. So rather than celebrate that, which would cause more talent to want to take on such a task, he gets trashed for leaving. So why would the next coach want to take that Jackson State job knowing they will get trashed if they are successful and leaving? And when I mean "trashed", I don't mean people being upset you were money motivated but that you turned your back on your people.

I know lots of pro-athletes really struggle because their old friends bring them down. Often, they bring bad women, drugs, and habits with them to parties and such. When they get disinvited, they lash out.
Even though the Colorado program has been standing on one leg for a while, its got history and its a great, great place. If you've never been to Colorado or Boulder, it is a must see in America. I was fortunate enough to live in Summit County for a little while and man is it awesome there. The best.
Deion needs to be more of a professional in this role, which he hasn't shown. Colorado could be the real deal. I think from a long term perspective Colorado has a greater upside than Nebraska and possibly even the Oklahoma teams. The brash bullishness that may work at the lower level is gonna get hammered hard when Lincoln Riley & Chip Kelly come town with teams. I don't think that $hit is gonna work at this level, there are too many other good players and coaches. Deion was a big fish in a small pond at Jackson State, not that case any more.
Was trying to come up with some names of former great players who became good head coaches and these are the only ones I could come up with....
Art Shell
Steve Spurrier
Mike Munchak
Mike Ditka
It appears to be a rare feat for a great player to become a good coach.

Reactions: Obliviax
Coach Mac was your classic hypocritical religious dirtbag.

Mike Vrabel
Tom Flores
Jim Harbaugh
Chuck Noll
I would call those guys just regular players like so many other coaches. The guys I outlined are Hall of Famers for playing ability and/or Heisman trophy winners. Deion Sanders in not only a Hall of Famer but he would be considered by many the best player to ever play his position and possibly the best player to ever play at his college.

Vrabel and Harbaugh were good but they weren't even pro bowl type players let alone great HOF players. They both made one pro bowl each respectively in their career.

Dick Lebeau was a great player but never a good head coach. I think there are a lot of these types.

Last edited:
Coach Mac was your classic hypocritical religious dirtbag.
Bullshit.

I don't know how the USA got caught up in denigrating religious people.

Fact is, Bill McCartney did some great stuff. His daughter got pregnant by the start QB. She white, him black. It was quite the controversy because the coach was very religious and embarrassed his daughter was impregnated out of wedlock. Worse, the QB name Sal Aunese was diagnosed with terminal cancer. The McCartney family had an epiphany both in terms of their views of extramarital sex and race.

Unfortunately, he was against gay marriage but so was Barak Obama, Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden at the time. (check comments on the defense of marriage act or DOMA). Times change.

With McCartney's epiphany, he started a national program with his "Promise Keepers" campaign in 1996 named "Break Down These Walls". The message was to focus on common needs not differences between race and religion. I attended the 'Break Down These Walls" conference with a friend who admittedly was racist based on his experience in the Vietnam War. It was a multi-day event at three rivers stadium. At one point, I left to use the restroom at a most unfortunate time. A speaker was urging people to break down their preconceived notions. When I walked back to my seat, my friend and a black man near us were hugging and crying. My friend was apologizing and the black man was apologizing back. People were doing that all over the stadium and crying. I believe the attendance was in the low 20,000 for the event. Those two people later became facebook friends and keep in contact.

So enough with the out-of-context character assassination and cherry-picked bullshit. McCartney was a flawed man who saw past his flaws to do good nationwide and the complaints about his 1996 beliefs are way out of context.

I want to see how these Florida kids handle Boulder in November....
Washington had great success a couple of decades ago, recruiting kids out of LA to a kinder, gentler University of Washington in Seattle. Perhaps that will be his move. Regardless, you'd play for a HoFer legend who is really well connected to the NFL and the entertainment industry surrounding the NFL.

Bullshit.

Fact is, Bill McCartney did some great stuff. His daughter got pregnant by the start QB. She white, him black. It was quite the controversy because the coach was very religious and embarrassed his daughter was impregnated out of wedlock. Worse, the QB name Sal Aunese was diagnosed with terminal cancer. The McCartney family had an epiphany both in terms of their views of extramarital sex and race.

Unfortunately, he was against gay marriage but so was Barak Obama, Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden at the time. (check comments on the defense of marriage act or DOMA). Times change.

With McCartney's epiphany, he started a national program with his "Promise Keepers" campaign in 1996 named "Break Down These Walls". The message was to focus on common needs not differences between race and religion. I attended the 'Break Down These Walls" conference with a friend who admittedly was racist based on his experience in the Vietnam War. It was a multi-day event at three rivers stadium. At one point, I left to use the restroom at a most unfortunate time. A speaker was urging people to break down their preconceived notions. When I walked back to my seat, my friend and a black man near us were hugging and crying. My friend was apologizing and the black man was apologizing back. People were doing that all over the stadium and crying. I believe the attendance was in the low 20,000 for the event. Those two people later became facebook friends and keep in contact.

So enough with the out-of-context character assassination and cherry-picked bullshit. McCartney was a flawed man who saw past his flaws to do good nationwide and the complaints about his 1996 beliefs are way out of context.
I denigrate not religious people, but religious phonies and adherents of the “prosperity gospel”. I have a ton of respect for people who actually practice what they preach - it’s been churches and young religious teenagers who have spent lots of time providing respite time for my special needs sons on their own dime and time, for example.

I will take your word on his good works and his ability to humble himself and change - I just remember not appreciating being lectured to by guys who needed to clean up their own house first, so to speak.

I can tell you why...It's the insistence that others should live by the laws of another's faith. It's ridiculous and deserves ridicule when pushed out. Faith is inside and personal, no need to push it out to those who have their own. I can assure you, yours isnt better than theirs....Contrary to popular belief.
Other people have faith and spiritually of their own, they don't need yours. There are plenty of great avenues to spread your beliefs inside one's faith eco chamber. I'm sure if someone needs your faith, they'll ask.
When I say "you" I'm not directly referring to you.

I denigrate not religious people, but religious phonies and adherents of the “prosperity gospel”. I have a ton of respect for people who actually practice what they preach - it’s been churches and young religious teenagers who have spent lots of time providing respite time for my special needs sons on their own dime and time, for example.

I will take your word on his good works and his ability to humble himself and change - I just remember not appreciating being lectured to by guys who needed to clean up their own house first, so to speak.
you mean people you disagree with.

There are dishonest people all over. Recently, we learned the govt, in collaboration with the CDC and WHO repeatedly and knowingly lied to all of us. The FBI conspired with Twitter and Facebook to influence national elections. The Trump Organization was found guilty of misstating its tax position.

We are on our own. I try not to bundle people or organizations together. There are good and bad in everything. I have had several interactions with people in Bill McCartney's sphere and he is a flawed but good guy. He's made a difference in a life that has not been a bed of roses (his wife died of cancer and suffered with depression, he now has dementia).

To me, there are three groups of people. The people that try to do good. The people that sit on their asses. The people that take advantage of. I will never get angry at people that TRY to do good no matter the outcome, as long as their ambitions were pure.

I can tell you why...It's the insistence that others should live by the laws of another's faith. It's ridiculous and deserves ridicule when pushed out. Faith is inside and personal, no need to push it out to those who have their own. I can assure you, yours isnt better than theirs....Contrary to popular belief.
Other people have faith and spiritually of their own, they don't need yours. There are plenty of great avenues to spread your beliefs inside one's faith eco chamber. I'm sure if someone needs your faith, they'll ask.
When I say "you" I'm not directly referring to you.
how is that different from govt? How is that different from you place of business?

There is an entire thread on people complaining about Primetime. Who are we to tell him how to live?

So why are you taking religions out of context? Sound like just more bigotry to me.

Reactions: psu00
I would call those guys just regular players like so many other coaches. The guys I outlined are Hall of Famers for playing ability and/or Heisman trophy winners. Deion Sanders in not only a Hall of Famer but he would be considered by many the best player to ever play his position and possibly the best player to ever play at his college.

Vrabel and Harbaugh were good but they weren't even pro bowl type players let alone great HOF players. They both made one pro bowl each respectively in their career.

Dick Lebeau was a great player but never a good head coach. I think there are a lot of these types.
Tony Dungy.....

He said "this is your quarterback" then said, "but he's gonna have to earn it."
Seems fair, like a no bid contract.
It is well documented that he announced that Shedur Sanders is the Buffalo's starting quarterback for 2023, mind you the little asterisk that says, "he'll have to earn it." That's like putting the cart ahead of the horse.
Typically in sports you earn it then you become the starter but he's an NFL Hall of Famer so whatever he says is right.
I'm sure the other QB's on the roster feel it will be a real free and fair competition.
Allar is our starting QB next year but he'll have to earn it. That's true everywhere.
The other QBs should portal. He wasn't the guy that recruited them and they weren't exactly successful before his arrival.

Allar is our starting QB next year but he'll have to earn it. That's true everywhere.
The other QBs should portal. He wasn't the guy that recruited them and they weren't exactly successful before his arrival.
JT Daniels gets that a lot.

how is that different from govt? How is that different from you place of business?

There is an entire thread on people complaining about Primetime. Who are we to tell him how to live?

So why are you taking religions out of context? Sound like just more bigotry to me.
Keep buying it. Keep trying to find those nuggets of justification.
I went to a lot of days and catholic church and ccd in my life. I don't need to tell anyone they should live by my faith, nor do I need them to tell me how great theirs is. I know its really hard to understand but this isn't a contest. There used to be a lot priests telling little boys how they should live too.

Primetime is the best, but in athletics you should never name anyone starter without a competition for such a title. That's all on Prime, I have him as a top 10 football player of my lifetime.

Keep buying it. Keep trying to find those nuggets of justification.
I went to a lot of days and catholic church and ccd in my life. I don't need to tell anyone they should live by my faith, nor do I need them to tell me how great theirs is. I know its really hard to understand but this isn't a contest. There used to be a lot priests telling little boys how they should live too.

Primetime is the best, but in athletics you should never name anyone starter without a competition for such a title. That's all on Prime, I have him as a top 10 football player of my lifetime.
Oh...OK, I guess it is OK to be bigoted and prejudiced against churches, white people, and old people (if white) but not against anyone else.

giphy.gif

Reactions: bison13
From Jason Whitlock:

I had hoped he would stay and build something great. Do something no one else has. That was bordering on epic.

Now he can join a long list of other coaches who have resurrected a CFB team from the dead. If he succeeds.

Reactions: bison13
Oh...OK, I guess it is OK to be bigoted and prejudiced against churches, white people, and old people (if white) but not against anyone else.
Ahhh yes, the victims. Let's not forget about the victims.

I'll never forgive the church for mass being at the same time as the Penn State Football Story pre-internet, which if I recall was 11AM in the greater Pittsburgh area.

• Haha
Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT