ADVERTISEMENT

Collegiate Duals 2.0

A few recent headscrathcers in free and folk aside, he is still my choice for a national championship this year, by a wide margin.

Maybe losing to Austin Gomez is a headscratcher. Ask RBY what he thinks.

But I'm not gonna let you call his 2 close losses to the clear, and incredibly talented World Champ a headscratcher. Sorry!

Yanni is starting to look like a mere mortal these days, at least just a little bit.

He won't hit his peak until he's been in the NLWC for a couple of years. It won't surprise me at all if that happens. I have always said he is Gumby dammit, and with all that talent he could become a world champ, unless Nick Lee has anything to say about it

A few recent headscrathcers in free and folk aside, he is still my choice for a national championship this year, by a wide margin.

Don't expect to see Yanni competing for the NLWC.

ISU can and will imo beat Cornell if Yani is a no go. I think Cornell will beat us in a close dual if Yani wrestles. ISU could win 4 0f 10 against PSU without anyone being too surprised. 125, and 165 are very likely with 141,149,and 197 all doable. The problems mount for ISU when you start figuring team points. 184 where ISU is very good PSU has an animal of another species. 285 ISU has a solid gamer who would need a great showing to avoid bonus, 133 we can avoid bonus only if RBY decides not to stay in killer mode. 174 God himself would struggle to help us not get pinned or teched. The dual won't end up close but 141,149, and 197 will make it a great watch. I will tell you this version of ISU wrestling has a bunch of guys who show fight at most every weight and I'm very proud of the progress our staff had made with this team. PSU is just better.

Understood..and if we were wrestling Sacred Heart at their place, I'd expect him to stay home. This is a cool event and in NO which is a fun place to be. Like I said I'd be shocked if he missed this.

As far as weight cut..I don't buy it. RBY is one of the most disciplined atheletes (as are most PSU guys). These kids are elite atheletes..this isn't PD3 we're talking about:)
Rby talked about the weight cut himself. Said it was tougher on him doing multiple events and wasn’t interested doing that in the early season.

Reactions: mcpat
Quote from RBY in recent article on pennlive.com. I hope he does wrestle, just saying I wouldn’t be shocked if he doesn’t.

“Double weigh-ins, what’s the point of that,” Bravo-Young said Tuesday. “Right now there’s no need. I’m getting a little bigger for the weight, too, so I don’t really have to waste my time trying to make weight twice. We have some Big Ten duals I know are back-to-back and I’ll be in those, so it just goes on and on. We have a plan so when I feel like wrestling I can wrestle. I don’t think a dual in November means too much to me. All the fans that say ‘where am I’; I’m good, I’m training hard, I’m having fun.

“The dates are flexible but all Big Ten duals I’ll probably be in when they need me,” he added. “I’m here for the big show (the NCAAs). I really don’t have much to prove in my eyes; I’m here and back for the team. When I want to go out there and wrestle, I’m gonna put on a show. That’s what a fifth-year does. I think I earned that right, too. I’ll just pick and choose; I’ll probably wrestle this Sunday (against Oregon State at 2 p.m. Sunday in Rec Hall) and I’m excited for that.”

I'm looking forward to seeing our new starters (I include Beau at 141) face tougher competition. Kaylor at 125 and Humphreys at 157 are the only top-10 kids any of them have seen so far.

Van Ness, in particular, will get a good test. Sherman #14, Lovett #20, and then either Yanni or Johnson #5.

I didn't realize that Sherman hasn't wrestled so far this year. Anyone else think it would be a bit weird for Sherman to come out of the wood work now, as opposed to easing into the season, before or after the Collegiate Duals? That's getting thrown into the fire.

Maybe losing to Austin Gomez is a headscratcher. Ask RBY what he thinks.

But I'm not gonna let you call his 2 close losses to the clear, and incredibly talented World Champ a headscratcher. Sorry!
I think the head scratching freestyle loss was the 10-3 defeat to Mongolia. I’m pretty sure almost everyone had Yianni winning that match and instead it wasn’t even really that competitive. I’m sure he was focused on his rematch with Amouzad but he looked pretty bad against Mongolia. I will say that I thought he wrestled a really good match against Amouzad though. Smart game plan and did a great job of not giving up points from the underhook and over under position which is where Amouzad kills everyone

Understood..and if we were wrestling Sacred Heart at their place, I'd expect him to stay home. This is a cool event and in NO which is a fun place to be. Like I said I'd be shocked if he missed this.

As far as weight cut..I don't buy it. RBY is one of the most disciplined atheletes (as are most PSU guys). These kids are elite atheletes..this isn't PD3 we're talking about:)
RBY may still be able to travel with the team. He did go to Lehigh, which I know is much closer to SC than NO is. Or maybe he will only wrestle one of the two days, JB said he might only wrestle one day for weekends with two. Of course maybe there is a weight allowance for a two day tourney versus Friday/Sunday Dual meets.

RBY may still be able to travel with the team. He did go to Lehigh, which I know is much closer to SC than NO is. Or maybe he will only wrestle one of the two days, JB said he might only wrestle one day for weekends with two. Of course maybe there is a weight allowance for a two day tourney versus Friday/Sunday Dual meets.
He was at Lehigh because they were already on the road. He wrestled that Friday against Rider.

If he makes the trip, he'll be wrestling. They not going to take him to NO for some Cajun cooking and a sun tan

Quote from RBY in recent article on pennlive.com. I hope he does wrestle, just saying I wouldn’t be shocked if he doesn’t.

“Double weigh-ins, what’s the point of that,” Bravo-Young said Tuesday. “Right now there’s no need. I’m getting a little bigger for the weight, too, so I don’t really have to waste my time trying to make weight twice. We have some Big Ten duals I know are back-to-back and I’ll be in those, so it just goes on and on. We have a plan so when I feel like wrestling I can wrestle. I don’t think a dual in November means too much to me. All the fans that say ‘where am I’; I’m good, I’m training hard, I’m having fun.

“The dates are flexible but all Big Ten duals I’ll probably be in when they need me,” he added. “I’m here for the big show (the NCAAs). I really don’t have much to prove in my eyes; I’m here and back for the team. When I want to go out there and wrestle, I’m gonna put on a show. That’s what a fifth-year does. I think I earned that right, too. I’ll just pick and choose; I’ll probably wrestle this Sunday (against Oregon State at 2 p.m. Sunday in Rec Hall) and I’m excited for that.”
I read that and wish Evans was making 133 this year. Maybe he grew out of the weight. He is fun to watch and pretty darn good.

He was at Lehigh because they were already on the road. He wrestled that Friday against Rider.

If he makes the trip, he'll be wrestling. They not going to take him to NO for some Cajun cooking and a sun tan
I assumed they would go home after the Rider meet instead of staying away a whole weekend when that close to home. But you may be right. I also think it is possible he could make the trip without wrestling one or both days. I think he has earned the right to make the trip no matter what, but that is just my thinking.

Reactions: hlstone
Liver failure. While it is impossible to have too much fun, Nawlins' is a place that affords too many opportunities to have a shit load of fun. Liver failure. Stay in PA and travel to the queen city to have fun.
Yep, pretty much. 😂

• Wow
Reactions: diggerpup
I assumed they would go home after the Rider meet instead of staying away a whole weekend when that close to home. But you may be right. I also think it is possible he could make the trip without wrestling one or both days. I think he has earned the right to make the trip no matter what, but that is just my thinking.
Shak had earned the right too travel with team too Arizona,so yeah.

I couldn't be more excited for the Collegiate Duals. I am very interested to see an Iowa State vs Penn State match. I really wanna see Van Ness vs Paniro, Facundo vs Carr, and Bartlett vs Swiderski. Or if PSU faces Cornell that RBY vs Vito will be electric. Which individual matchup is most intriguing to you?
Let's watch some wrestling!!

Reactions: diggerpup

I couldn't be more excited for the Collegiate Duals. I am very interested to see an Iowa State vs Penn State match. I really wanna see Van Ness vs Paniro, Facundo vs Carr, and Bartlett vs Swiderski. Or if PSU faces Cornell that RBY vs Vito will be electric. Which individual matchup is most intriguing to you?
Let's watch some wrestling!!
Facundo vs carr I want to see where he's at with top notch competition the other two are just as good I guess. Why do I have to choose lol

Definitely want to see this match and if we see Cornell I really want to see Facundo vs Ramirez. Also RBY vs Vito and SVN vs Yianni of course

Yianni’s wrestling bores me. He dives in on a leg and most of the time he wins a scramble. I think he’d win a 6-3, 8-5 decision against SVN, and I’d come away having learned nothing.

I’m much more interested in how SVN does against Paniro or Sherman. Can he win those quarter final, R12 type of matches against good wrestlers who aren’t at the potential 4x-er level.

Reactions: hlstone and pish69
Yianni’s wrestling bores me. He dives in on a leg and most of the time he wins a scramble. I think he’d win a 6-3, 8-5 decision against SVN, and I’d come away having learned nothing.

I’m much more interested in how SVN does against Paniro or Sherman. Can he win those quarter final, R12 type of matches against good wrestlers who aren’t at the potential 4x-er level.
I’m just interested to see if SVN pace and pressure can work on someone as good as Yianni. Plus, getting his hands on Yianni and feeling how he scrambles will benefit him if they meet up later. I think SVN gets by Sherman not easily but in a controlled match. Paniro is definitely one of the best potential match-ups. What do people think about Facundo vs Ramirez?

You haven't seen Yianni wrestle for a year or two if that is what you think his wrestling is all about.

You haven't seen Yianni wrestle for a year or two if that is what you think his wrestling is all about.
Cornell%20Defender.png

You can't help youself can you?

I’m just interested to see if SVN pace and pressure can work on someone as good as Yianni. Plus, getting his hands on Yianni and feeling how he scrambles will benefit him if they meet up later. I think SVN gets by Sherman not easily but in a controlled match. Paniro is definitely one of the best potential match-ups. What do people think about Facundo vs Ramirez?
I think Facundo will be in on multiple shots, will finish fewer than he doesn't, will win by 3 or 4 points and collectively the board will bitch because he can't finish his shots.

Reactions: zzs006
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT