ADVERTISEMENT

Compare the play calling and results in the

Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Jun 9, 2002
Red zone of the Iowa game and the OSU game. One when we were behind in one instance and when we had the lead in the other. The philosophy of this team has been, according to our coaches, big plays and scoring are what matters most and is what this team is all about.

The deviation from this philosophy, one which has proven remarkably successful, is the thorn in my craw today. It will go away. But this team and it's skilled players are all about playing balls out. Let's hope we do that the rest of the way.

Last edited:
Red zone of the Iowa game and the OSU game. One when we were behind and one when we had the lead. The philosophy of this team has been, according to our coaches, big plays and scoring are what matters most and is what this team is all about.

The deviation from this philosophy, which has proven remarkably successful is the thorn in my craw today. It will go away. But this team and it's skilled players are all about playing balls out. Let's hope we do that the rest of the way.
Franklin eluded to that in his post game conference. About deviating from who we are.

But yesterday was about "taking what is given." Underneath stuff was there ALL DAY! Schiano gambled, and won, that we wouldn't throw short underneath stuff, that we would still look for deep balls. Double Hi-Safety...they were giving us 5-8 yd stuff anytime we wanted it. Could it be that Trace doesn't throw that ball well? Gesiecki should have caught at least 12 balls...Hamilton should have had 6-8 catches..it was there for the taking and it would have slowed down the pass rush..

But yesterday was about "taking what is given." Underneath stuff was there ALL DAY! Schiano gambled, and won, that we wouldn't throw short underneath stuff, that we would still look for deep balls. Double Hi-Safety...they were giving us 5-8 yd stuff anytime we wanted it. Could it be that Trace doesn't throw that ball well? Gesiecki should have caught at least 12 balls...Hamilton should have had 6-8 catches..it was there for the taking and it would have slowed down the pass rush..

That might be true, IDNK as it was hard to see on tv. One thing I did see though was Blacknall was open on multiple occasions.
I keep hoping for his breakout game this year and there is still a chance but I have a feeling he might be one of the players that chooses to take his chance in the draft.

That might be true, IDNK as it was hard to see on tv. One thing I did see though was Blacknall was open on multiple occasions.
I keep hoping for his breakout game this year and there is still a chance but I have a feeling he might be one of the players that chooses to take his chance in the draft.

Blacknall is in his final year

With a 15 pt. 4th quarter lead, we went conservative offensively and defensively and it cost us the game. Over and over, we handed the ballot Barkley for losses. He had no chance to even get back to the line of scrimmage. Win or lose, Moorhead had to put it on McSorley's shoulders. That was the only chance we had of generating any offense. For me, the glow has faded on Moorhead.

I don't think Trace has done a good job of looking for the 5-8 yd stuff all season long. He may have formed some bad habits when he had to throw long bombs to bring us back from behind all last season. Schiano recognized this

JJ running underneath in that range is a nightmare for the D.

Those routes were exactly how Oklahoma beat OSU. Short throws underneath that, on occasion, their WRs took for big gains.

JJ running underneath in that range is a nightmare for the D.

Juwan is probably another year away from being the stud WR we need. On the final play, he ran a 12 yard route when we needed 15. McSorley did overthrow him, but he's probably tackled a yard shy if he caught it.

Disappointed we didn't let Gesicki split the safety's. No quick slants. Should have kept throwing.

Juwan is probably another year away from being the stud WR we need. On the final play, he ran a 12 yard route when we needed 15. McSorley did overthrow him, but he's probably tackled a yard shy if he caught it.

Disappointed we didn't let Gesicki split the safety's. No quick slants. Should have kept throwing.
Good points. JJ's talent is so obvious though. Witness the 3rd down play when PSU was at their own 1 and he caught the ball, ran over his man, then took a big shot from the safety on the sideline and was still standing after he went OOB with the 1st down at the 20.

Last edited:
When they showed the last play again, I don’t think I saw anyon receivers past the first down line.

Reactions: mn78psu83

Throughout the game I don't understand why we didn't throw more on first down. I don't knw if anyone keeps trac but it seemed to me 80% of first downs were runs with the read option where McS and Barkley were caught in the backfield with the result being lost yardage and then we had 2nd and long situations that the team has to battle back from. I think throwing more on first downs for the underneath stuff would have helped loosen things up.

And if we had gone empty on those first downs with Barkley as a slot..it would have been a field day...
Totally agree...Barkley should have been placed outside when it was obvious that Ohio State was selling out to get to the mesh point.
As I see it, the Moorhead offensive scheme relies on creating uncertainty (delays in action by defenders) to be successful. If a team sells out by focusing on this small hand-off area, you need to re-establish some other option to worry about so that this defensive approach has consistently bad consequences to the opponent. If you focus on that exchange spot, both McSorely AND Barkley are at risk for loss.

This is especially evident with Barclay as his full running ability is sacrificed because everyone knows where the ball will be. Multiple defenders and next to him in the backfield many times even before the exchange.

We need better infuse new offensive threat options which expand the territory to defend from the limited exchange area used in our current RPO scheme when we play teams with elite athletes on defense.

Last edited:
Who
Totally agree...Barclay should have been placed outside when it was obvious that Ohio State was selling out to get to the mesh point.
As I see it, the Moorhead offensive scheme relies on creating uncertainty (delays in action by defenders) to be successful. If a team sells out by focusing on this small hand-off area, you need to re-establish some other option to worry about so that this defensive approach has consistently bad consequences to the opponent. If you focus on that exchange spot, both McSorely AND Barclay are at risk for loss.

This is especially evident with Barclay as his full running ability is sacrificed because everyone knows where the ball will be. Multiple defenders and next to him in the backfield many times even before the exchange.

We need better infuse new offensive threat options which expand the territory to defend from the limited exchange area used in our current RPO scheme when we play teams with elite athletes on defense.
Who is this "Barclay" guy. Is he that banker?

Red zone of the Iowa game and the OSU game. One when we were behind in one instance and when we had the lead in the other. The philosophy of this team has been, according to our coaches, big plays and scoring are what matters most and is what this team is all about.

The deviation from this philosophy, one which has proven remarkably successful, is the thorn in my craw today. It will go away. But this team and it's skilled players are all about playing balls out. Let's hope we do that the rest of the way.
Let's also realize that some times the other guys is good enough to force you out of your philosophy. But I would have liked to see a play to the sides at least once during that series. Three times up the middle: Shades of Woody and Joe.

Totally agree...Barclay should have been placed outside when it was obvious that Ohio State was selling out to get to the mesh point.
As I see it, the Moorhead offensive scheme relies on creating uncertainty (delays in action by defenders) to be successful. If a team sells out by focusing on this small hand-off area, you need to re-establish some other option to worry about so that this defensive approach has consistently bad consequences to the opponent. If you focus on that exchange spot, both McSorely AND Barclay are at risk for loss.

I agree. BTW, Barkley is a RB, not a banker.

When the offensive line doesn't run block or pass block the play calling is irrelevant. Nothing will work. That's what happened in the fourth quarter.

When the offensive line doesn't run block or pass block the play calling is irrelevant. Nothing will work. That's what happened in the fourth quarter.
here's the problem, I think the OL blocks the plays like the coach draws them up.

here's the problem, I think the OL blocks the plays like the coach draws them up.
In the fourth quarter our offensive line didn't block anyone. The last 2 plays when we were trying to get into field goal range there were 4 lineman hanging on McSorley about the time the snap got to him. I doubt the coaches drew it up that way.

In the fourth quarter our offensive line didn't block anyone. The last 2 plays when we were trying to get into field goal range there were 4 lineman hanging on McSorley about the time the snap got to him. I doubt the coaches drew it up that way.
Okay here are 3 plays in the 4th qtr that could be in question
play 1- we leave the end man on the LOS alone, QB and RB are suppose to read this. 74 pulls around and is suppose to turn up the hole and seal, the DE is not his man, they 'Read' him. Look earlier in the game, we run this play exactly the same way , but with a better read. (now why on earth you have 74 pulling is another conversation), this is exactly run the way it is drawn up. Result loss of 9, now 2nd and 19, Iowa defended us the same way.
play 2- the LT DT loops out 70 figures his guy is inside, 77 cant cut off the DT and the DT makes the play. I dont think the coaches drew it this way, I think 77 could have made a better block. That said, if we ZONED blocked the play (which we didnt) 70 and 77 both would have been on the DT and prevented any quick penetration, at worse it would be a no loss play.

upon further further review, 70 and 77 might have tried to zone on that play, but I cant be sure, even if they did, it was not coordinated with the OC.
Play 3- is blocked correctly and gains 8-10 yds which is good, except it was 3rd and 19.

Play 1 is the play I hate, and that's on the coaches put kids in a bad position.

Last edited:

The play-calling is relevant when your opponent knows you're going to run 75% of the time on first down. Saying our guys all of a sudden can't block is a disservice to them IMO. They were trying the same thing over and over again and it didn't work. What was working was designed passes or runs (no RPO) and what has worked in the past is throwing the ball to Gesicki and letting him go get it. This offense has had tremendous success with the so called 50/50 ball - how many did we throw on Saturday? One?

The play-calling is relevant when your opponent knows you're going to run 75% of the time on first down. Saying our guys all of a sudden can't block is a disservice to them IMO. They were trying the same thing over and over again and it didn't work. What was working was designed passes or runs (no RPO) and what has worked in the past is throwing the ball to Gesicki and letting him go get it. This offense has had tremendous success with the so called 50/50 ball - how many did we throw on Saturday? One?
Midway through the second quarter Jack Ham said something like, "Our lineman are getting hammered and the fourth quarter will not be pretty. They will all be gassed." He was right. Both our offensive and defensive linemen were out of gas in the fourth quarter. We needed to sub for them earlier in the game but didn't have any capable subs. We lost this game because of our weak recruiting classes in 2014 and 2015.

This offense is at it's best when we are throwing in rhythm. The FG drive, we hit 3 passes in a row to get to the 7. Then we slowed things down. Should have kept our tempo and slung it.

Agree. Seemed to be playing for the FG there. How do you not throw one ball up, 12, 13 feet in the air, for Geisicki? He's got 6 in. on every guy defending him and he has a better vertical than all of them. Impossible to stop. At that point, I got a sinking feeling and Rose Bowl flashbacks.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Midway through the second quarter Jack Ham said something like, "Our lineman are getting hammered and the fourth quarter will not be pretty. They will all be gassed." He was right. Both our offensive and defensive linemen were out of gas in the fourth quarter. We needed to sub for them earlier in the game but didn't have any capable subs. We lost this game because of our weak recruiting classes in 2014 and 2015.

We beat OSU last year with nearly the same team. I don't know if they were gassed - I'm sure they were tired - but it's not like they were on the field a lot in the second half. We had six possessions in the second half and only two went longer than 4:00 (one was when Bates was injured and we ended up scoring). The other four went for 2:42, 1:34, 1:07, and :23.

This after going into the half up 28-17.

Although not the best punter, Trace is an excellent QB in pretty much all facets of the game. But he's not 6'5" (but Tommy is). Disclaimer: Trace is our QB and should be in when the game is in the balance. But with where things went in the 4th, some of those plays bringing Tommy in could have helped.

A lot of things could have helped, but we don't know more than the coaches and tOSU looked virtually unstoppable in that 4th quarter. Barrett, Hubbard and a few others JUST GOT HOT. Just like Mayfield did v tOSU. Happens sometimes. We've seen it happen in PSU's favor several times.

If that game were played on a neutral field (or if fewer injuries), we'd have probably won.

Edit: I wrote Haskins instead of Hubbard above. Just occurred to me. Corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT