ADVERTISEMENT

COVID gratuitous dumpster fire thread

What mat will Pletcher vs Carton be on?

Beat me to it.

I rarely get on here any more. Not enough wrestling news LOL.

I only step in on COVID when 100% disproven scientific information is disparaged, with or without political slant.

But overall, it's just awful how lies and disinformation and wacky conspiracy theories spread on this new-fangled internet thing. I can't be a part of that crap.

Reactions: nitlion6
We have to also remember that the numbers being put out there by any organization are the absolute worst case scenario for the infected to death ratio. The infected category reflects only those people who have been tested and tested positive. That category does not include those who were sick and did not get tested but would have been positive, as well as those who were not sick but would have tested positive. In other words, the denominator in the equation should be much larger. Several peered reviewed studies have been conducted that show that there are 10x as many infected that fall into those last two groups than those who have been confirmed as infected. So in essence, the chart above should have the decimals moved to the left by one position to provide a more accurate death ratio picture. It doesn't change the relative ratios per age group, but it certainly changes the scare factor.

... and my comments don't even address how the deaths are counted, such as counting a motorcycle accident death as a covid death because the person tested positive posthumously. Not really a covid death.
Do you think the motorcycle incident (did it actually even happen?) is the norm or the exception here?

Reactions: Dogwelder
Ok, you asked for it

NFL players and coaches tested daily
Refs twice a week
Over $1 million in fines after the first 2 weeks for coaches not wearing a mask on the sidelines... outdoors, because they might infect who?

To each his own but the mind control is a bit over the top

98% of the public is wearing cloth masks that are nowhere near M95

But if that makes you feel safe, sorry to bust your bubble

Last edited:
Do you think the motorcycle incident (did it actually even happen?) is the norm or the exception here?
I believe it’s more the norm than you think with Covid. Many states are classifying deaths where Covid is involved in any manner of importance as a Covid death, even if the person was deep into copd or heart disease or cancer. That’s not normal. When my first wife died, she had lung cancer but in the final few days developed pneumonia. The pneumonia killed her but her death certificate says she died of lung cancer. That’s normal protocol. A common cold can kill someone in poor health but no one ever says they died of the common cold. They died from complications of (insert disease here).

I believe it’s more the norm than you think with Covid. Many states are classifying deaths where Covid is involved in any manner of importance as a Covid death, even if the person was deep into copd or heart disease or cancer. ...
The real question is:

How do we explain that 274,000+ more people have died this year in the US compared to other recent years that had no COVID?

If I hear a person explain possible answers to this question, then I will know whether that person is science minded or merely says sciency words here and there.

Last edited:
The real question is:

How do we explain that 274,000+ more people have died this year in the US compared to other recent years that had no COVID?

If I hear a person explain possible answers to this question, then I will know whether that person is science minded or merely says sciency words here and there.

I'd say it is continuing a trend that began in 2014 and has not stopped yet:
United States - Historical Death Rate Data
YearDeath RateGrowth Rate
20208.8801.120%
20198.7821.120%
20188.6851.220%
20178.5801.240%
20168.4751.270%
20158.3691.270%
20148.2641.290%

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/death-rate

We have to also remember that the numbers being put out there by any organization are the absolute worst case scenario for the infected to death ratio. The infected category reflects only those people who have been tested and tested positive. That category does not include those who were sick and did not get tested but would have been positive, as well as those who were not sick but would have tested positive. In other words, the denominator in the equation should be much larger. Several peered reviewed studies have been conducted that show that there are 10x as many infected that fall into those last two groups than those who have been confirmed as infected. So in essence, the chart above should have the decimals moved to the left by one position to provide a more accurate death ratio picture. It doesn't change the relative ratios per age group, but it certainly changes the scare factor.

... and my comments don't even address how the deaths are counted, such as counting a motorcycle accident death as a covid death because the person tested positive posthumously. Not really a covid death.

Do you seriously believe that even though many nurses and first responders can't get tested that someone who dies in a Motorcycle accident gets randomly tested for Covid-19?? Seriously .....your post defies facts and logic. But.....somehow you will get likes for this nonsensical idea :(

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
I'd say it is continuing a trend that began in 2014 and has not stopped yet:
YearDeath RateGrowth Rate
United States - Historical Death Rate Data
20208.8801.120%
20198.7821.120%
20188.6851.220%
20178.5801.240%
20168.4751.270%
20158.3691.270%
20148.2641.290%

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/death-rate
Imagine this. The UN had predicted that Joey Chestnut would eat 100 hot dogs at the 2020 BWI competition, and he actually goes on to eat 110 hot dogs at that competition. Somebody asks me to explain the 10 excess hot dogs that Joey Chestnut ate at the 2020 BWI competition that were above the UN’s prediction. And I reply:

“I'd say the 10 excess dogs is continuing a trend that began years ago. See the chart:

2015: 95 actually eaten
2016: 96 actually eaten
2017: 97 actually eaten
2018: 98 actually eaten
2019: 99 actually eaten
2020: 100 predicted to be eaten”

Would my reply be science minded? :)

Brother Ski, The page you cite that has the data you quote has the following warning in a big red rectangle near the top:

“NOTE: All 2020 and later data are UN projections and DO NOT include any impacts of the COVID-19 virus.”

In other words, you just gave a table of actual deaths for 2019 and before 2019, plus the predicted deaths for 2020.

In other words I just asked how we should explain the 274,000+ excess deaths above the Year2020 predicted deaths, and you replied that the Year2020 predicted deaths already explain the 274,000+ additional deaths that were not predicted. Oops! 🤔

Last edited:
I once died of COVID. It was even worse than when I died of motorcycles. FWIW.
In related news ... an out-of-control SUV went all homicidal in New York the other day. Neighbors expressed shock, saying the SUV always seemed so in-control. Reportedly the SUV looked feverish right before jumping the curb, leading to speculation that COVID may be to blame.

zoTtg8J.jpg

In related news ... an out-of-control SUV went all homicidal in New York the other day. Neighbors expressed shock, saying the SUV always seemed so in-control. Reportedly the SUV looked feverish right before jumping the curb, leading to speculation that COVID may be to blame.

zoTtg8J.jpg
SUVs don’t kill people. Electrons kill people.

Reactions: nerfstate
The real question is:

Covid has increased deaths among the elderly in 2020 when many of those people would not have died until 2021 or 2022. I don't know the number but logic tells us that an illness that hits the very sick and elderly will cause excess deaths in the year of that pandemic. That said, since covid as a stand-alone killer (no comorbidities) is relatively rare, I would expect total deaths in 2021 and 2022 to actually drop as a result of 2020. The other thing that needs to be addressed is the larger number of suicides and drug overdoses being seen since the beginning of the pandemic. I don't have any numbers to put on it, but hotlines say calls are running extremely high on those services.

Do you seriously believe that even though many nurses and first responders can't get tested that someone who dies in a Motorcycle accident gets randomly tested for Covid-19?? Seriously .....your post defies facts and logic. But.....somehow you will get likes for this nonsensical idea :(
Hand waving and ad hominin attacks is never a good look.

Covid has increased deaths among the elderly in 2020 when many of those people would not have died until 2021 or 2022. I don't know the number but logic tells us that an illness that hits the very sick and elderly will cause excess deaths in the year of that pandemic. That said, since covid as a stand-alone killer (no comorbidities) is relatively rare, I would expect total deaths in 2021 and 2022 to actually drop as a result of 2020. The other thing that needs to be addressed is the larger number of suicides and drug overdoses being seen since the beginning of the pandemic. I don't have any numbers to put on it, but hotlines say calls are running extremely high on those services.
For me, my main question is what caused the excess deaths. So from your post, I interpret that you are not a blind denier. You admit that COVID is causing excess deaths, and in unknown numbers so are excess suicides and excess overdoses causing excess deaths.

That’s a good start. We already agree on a lot. 👍

Last edited:
I will point out again that the data Dunke posted shows that COVID has significantly and somewhat similarly increased diagnosed adult deaths across EVERY age bracket, percentage wise.

Old adults already die more in normal years than do not-so-old adults. So old adults naturally contribute more numbers to a somewhat similar, somewhat across-the-board percentage increase in this special year. But a big increase in old-people death does not mean not-so-old adults should not feel offended that COVID is increasing their deaths by a factor of ~2 to ~10 percent, despite extreme shutting down.

My tax bracket analogy is pretty helpful. Let’s say that deaths are a tax, and age brackets are the tax brackets. Then let’s say old people (age 65+) already have a much higher tax rate than less old people. Then the COVID Tax Reform arrives and increases my tax by a factor of 9.5% (age 45-54 bracket) and raises the old people’s tax by a factor of 11% (age 65+ bracket). In absolute numbers, the old people are paying way more increase than people like me. But I’m still suffering my tax increase, and I should not be dismissive of the COVID Tax Reform as merely a “tax increase for old people”.

Last edited:
Can we have this thread deleted or moved somewhere. It is killing the other threads that are actually about wrestling. :( I know COVID is still happening, I am definitely aware and not minimizing its threat, but the arguing with people who choose to not get it is a waste of time.

Reactions: naddabluechip
For me, my main question is what caused the excess deaths. So from your post, I interpret that you are not a blind denier. You admit that COVID is causing excess deaths, and in unknown numbers so are excess suicides and excess overdoses causing excess deaths.

That’s a good start. We already agree on a lot. 👍
No one can deny the reality that covid has contributed to the deaths of many people. The question lies in how much it has contributed in those 206,000 death cases so far. Someone in the end stages of cancer didn't have long to live anyway so to blame covid for that death is more of a stretch to me than say someone with hypertension who may have had another 5-10 years before death. Now I would call that a covid death because controlled hypertension is not a death sentence in the near term. There is no definitive answer to your question as to how many true covid deaths there have been, nor what the actual infection and death rates are. I'm sure someone will get their doctorate answering those questions.

I will point out again that the data Dunke posted shows that COVID has significantly and somewhat similarly increased diagnosed adult deaths across EVERY age bracket, percentage wise.

Old adults die more than in normal years than not-so-old adults. So old adults contribute more numbers to a somewhat similar, somewhat across-the-board percentage increase. That does not mean not-so-old adults should not feel offended that COVID is increasing their deaths by ~2 to ~10 percent, despite extreme shutting down.
I don't disagree that covid has increased deaths across all age brackets, but disproportionally among the elderly. Likewise, suicides and drug overdoses tend to affect the younger age groups disproportionally.

Can we have this thread deleted or moved somewhere. It is killing the other threads that are actually about wrestling. :( I know COVID is still happening, I am definitely aware and not minimizing its threat, but the arguing with people who choose to not get it is a waste of time.
Ha ha. Are you being facetious? This is the dumpster fire thread! All you have to do is not click on this one thread! It should be easy unless your name is Pandora Sansvolition. :)

Last edited:

Quoting FOX35 Orlando as a source pretty much says everything that needs to be known about you.

• Haha
Reactions: matter7172

YES....I actually read the article. It says that a medical examiner was allegedly ask if someone in their 20's could have factors which might increase Covid susceptibility. the very next sentence says "it is unclear whether or not his death was removed from the overall count in the state. Classic Fox News.

YES....I actually read the article. It says that a medical examiner was allegedly ask if someone in their 20's could have factors which might increase Covid susceptibility. the very next sentence says "it is unclear whether or not his death was removed from the overall count in the state. Classic Fox News.
You missed the point apparently, which wasn't necessarily about a motorcycle death, but about the FACT that many jurisdictions have changed the protocols for cause of death to lean more heavily on covid as the cause. The train-of-thought in my post was pretty self evident. I apologize if I wasn't more clear.

SUVs don’t kill people. Electrons kill people.
Exactly right. If a person is killed by gunfire, why do people always blame the triggerman and/or the gun when the physical laws of nature did the dirty work of throwing the bullet into the victim. Maybe Mother Nature should be charged with murder.

"In other words I just asked how we should explain the 274,000+ excess deaths above the Year2020 predicted deaths, and you replied that the Year2020 predicted deaths already explain the 274,000+ additional deaths that were not predicted. Oops! 🤔 "

I venture to say we'll never see this addressed. But I like to rely on Occum's Razor in the meantime.

2 things about this blast from the past (try to deal with the VHS grain, and give it a watch!):
  1. It was a huge deal for me as a kid. I have the match mapped out in my mind.
  2. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the only media available to me at the time was the newspaper. So the mapping is clearly that of the imagination.
Was anyone there? Or does anyone remember if there was local radio coverage? 88 is before Byers, right?

You missed the point apparently, which wasn't necessarily about a motorcycle death, but about the FACT that many jurisdictions have changed the protocols for cause of death to lean more heavily on covid as the cause. The train-of-thought in my post was pretty self evident. I apologize if I wasn't more clear.
I understand what you are saying. I am questioning how you can logically argue that your "Facts" are indeed Facts. In Florida....a health official was fired because.....according to her.....she was fired for refusing to downplay the Covid numbers and went public about it. Governor says she was fired for being a bad employee. Who is lying? Well.......in an incredible coincidence ...the number of people listed as dying from pneumonia in Florida suddenly increased to 20% higher than the past 5 year average. So the evidence in Florida seems exactly the opposite of your claimed "facts". As emails are coming forward it points directly to instructions to health officials to downplay the numbers ...again.....the exact opposite of your claimed "facts"

"In other words I just asked how we should explain the 274,000+ excess deaths above the Year2020 predicted deaths, and you replied that the Year2020 predicted deaths already explain the 274,000+ additional deaths that were not predicted. Oops! 🤔 "

I venture to say we'll never see this addressed. But I like to rely on Occum's Razor in the meantime.

Since the year is only 3/4ths over, I think I will wait for the final count at year end to see exactly how many excess deaths actually occurred over the whole year since that is still subject to change and could go down. Then I will look at the population change, demographics by age, and overall death rate to see how out of proportion they might be. Then perhaps it can be addressed.

You are asking why a team has more losses than last year three quarters of the way through the season, while they are still only on pace for more losses than last year, without looking at total games played, strength of schedule, composition of the roster, and then saying it must be the coaches fault. It is too early to know. Occum can't shave a beard that hasn't grown yet.

The real question is:

Chicago?

Reactions: PASLP2
ADVERTISEMENT