ADVERTISEMENT

COVID gratuitous dumpster fire thread

I don’t do dog whistles. Apparently you’re into those things. I can’t believe you were able to discern my global Marxist racist conspiracy theory tendencies by a single link I posted a couple months ago specifically addressing the increase in suicides and drug overdoses. No more, no less. I was able to hide all of my real feelings for the last ten years and more recently in my replies to Dogwelder, but you smoked me out based on a single link. Bravo to you. It’s divisive people like you that are bringing down this country. No civil discourse is allowed without motives coming into play. It’s a real shame that people can’t debate reasonably divergent opinions and ideas without one side or the other being attacked, not on substance, but on character. Attacking people rather than ideas means you had already lost the argument. You should be ashamed of yourself, but I know you’re not. I see people like you every day in my real life. You make no effort to understand anyone or their ideas. It’s about winning and losing. So just go on believing you’re right about everything and let’s see how your life turns out.
If I didn't want to get made fun of for posting an article claiming covid is a global marxist conspiracy to install a new world order, I would simply not post an article claiming covid is a global marxist conspiracy to install a new world order.

This thread in a nutshell...
giphy.gif

Covid has increased deaths among the elderly in 2020 when many of those people would not have died until 2021 or 2022. I don't know the number but logic tells us that an illness that hits the very sick and elderly will cause excess deaths in the year of that pandemic. That said, since covid as a stand-alone killer (no comorbidities) is relatively rare, I would expect total deaths in 2021 and 2022 to actually drop as a result of 2020. The other thing that needs to be addressed is the larger number of suicides and drug overdoses being seen since the beginning of the pandemic. I don't have any numbers to put on it, but hotlines say calls are running extremely high on those services.
Yeah, Grandma probably would have died next year anyway. That's your attitude? That is moral bankruptcy. There are over 200,000 people in this country who would be alive today if not for the mishandling of this pandemic.

Since the year is only 3/4ths over, I think I will wait for the final count at year end to see exactly how many excess deaths actually occurred over the whole year since that is still subject to change and could go down. Then I will look at the population change, demographics by age, and overall death rate to see how out of proportion they might be. Then perhaps it can be addressed.

You are asking why a team has more losses than last year three quarters of the way through the season, while they are still only on pace for more losses than last year, without looking at total games played, strength of schedule, composition of the roster, and then saying it must be the coaches fault. It is too early to know. Occum can't shave a beard that hasn't grown yet.
Yet the fact is that excess deaths are documented *everywhere* in the world. All countries with COVID-19 outbreaks show peaks of excess mortality this spring. Apply Occam's Razor to this data:

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Yeah, Grandma probably would have died next year anyway. That's your attitude? That is moral bankruptcy. There are over 200,000 people in this country who would be alive today if not for the mishandling of this pandemic.
An influential journal points out that excess deaths can still be zero for 2020. A bunch of expected December deaths can fail to materialize, thereby canceling the current excess deaths.

In particular, it may be that all COVID deaths are of grandmas that would have gotten run over by reindeer Christmas Eve. :)

Last edited:
An influential journal points out that excess deaths can still be zero for 2020. A bunch of expected December deaths can fail to materialize, thereby canceling the current excess deaths.

In particular, it may be that all COVID deaths are of grandmas that would have gotten run over by reindeer on Christmas Eve. :)
Saw on facebook that nursing homes were actually major antifa recruitment centers. Covid might have actually SAVED LIVES in the long run!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
I don’t do dog whistles. Apparently you’re into those things. I can’t believe you were able to discern my global Marxist racist conspiracy theory tendencies by a single link I posted a couple months ago specifically addressing the increase in suicides and drug overdoses. No more, no less. I was able to hide all of my real feelings for the last ten years and more recently in my replies to Dogwelder, but you smoked me out based on a single link. Bravo to you. It’s divisive people like you that are bringing down this country. No civil discourse is allowed without motives coming into play. It’s a real shame that people can’t debate reasonably divergent opinions and ideas without one side or the other being attacked, not on substance, but on character. Attacking people rather than ideas means you had already lost the argument. You should be ashamed of yourself, but I know you’re not. I see people like you every day in my real life. You make no effort to understand anyone or their ideas. It’s about winning and losing. So just go on believing you’re right about everything and let’s see how your life turns out.
Wow!
You are certainly impressedwith yourself.

Yeah, Grandma probably would have died next year anyway. That's your attitude? That is moral bankruptcy. There are over 200,000 people in this country who would be alive today if not for the mishandling of this pandemic

There still would have been a significant # of people dead regardless of how it was handled. We’ll never know what that number would have been if it was handled differently (whether more, less, or about the same).

If this is a GIF War, Cali went nuclear and won. Or he was showing me what the virgins look like on the other side of the white light. Never thought that Arizona State was heaven but what the hell do I know.
If posting a lingerie GIF is going nuclear, then what are you going to call it if lionlover becomes uninhibited and lets loose? :)

• Haha
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Taking things out of context seems to be contagious in this thread.

LOL. Another poster who missed the entire point of a post because he’s blinded by his ideology. I hope everyone on this board can see how some attack those whose opinions differ from their own.
No, you've missed the point of his post. You are incredibly smug and constantly post banal right wing cliches that could have been lifted out of one of Bill O'Reilly's children's books with the confidence of someone who thinks they are a world-renowned political genius. Whenever someone tries to get you expand upon surface level cliche, you throw a tantrum about how you're being attacked and taken out of context.

You talk about being blinded by ideology and yet you're the one on the thread trying to downplay the deaths of 200k Americans because the guy you support is in charge (and no it's not completely his fault). Incidentally, your guy is now in the hospital with the fake marxist virus. For a "science and economics guy," you seem to have an extreme aversion to anything resembling evidence or substance. Maybe that's the marxists' fault too?

You ain't just a Shitin this is a dumpster fire.

Sorry to say it again folks but we have zero chance of a full NCAA wrestling season. I suspect most school presidents will get to the point where they don't even allow practices.

Look no further to the multi billion dollar enterprise that is the NFL. 3 weeks in and they are cancelling and postponing games because of a handful of players testing positive. What happens if those players test positive for 3-4 weeks? The NFL is now screwed as they have set a precedent that makes a viable season nearly impossible as we move in to cold and flu season.

What happens when a few players test positive in the playoffs or for a championship game? What happens if some teams play a full 16 game season while others less?

The only way it was going to work was to treat a positive CV19 test as an injury, and to play on regardless of how many were affected. Now that they have done otherwise they have boned themselves.

Now back to wrestling within enclosed room full of sweaty guys in close contact for hours on end every day. It pains me to think about it, but administrators are the most PC spinless people on earth. They will NEVER take the risk.

Last edited:

Sorry to say it again folks but we have zero chance of a full NCAA wrestling season. I suspect most school presidents will get to the point where they don't even allow practices.

Look no further to the multi billion dollar enterprise that is the NFL. 3 weeks in and they are cancelling and postponing games because of a handful of players testing positive. What happens if those players test positive for 3-4 weeks? The NFL is now screwed as they have set a precedent that makes a viable season nearly impossible as we move in to cold and flu season.

What happens when a few players test positive in the playoffs or for a championship game? What happens if some teams play a full 16 game season while others less?

The only way it was going to work was to treat a positive CV19 test as an injury, and to play on regardless of how many were affected. Now that they have done otherwise they have boned themselves.

Now back to wrestling within enclosed room full of sweaty guys in close contact for hours on end every day. It pains me to think about it, but administrators are the most PC spliness people on earth. They will NEVER take the risk.
?? Splines = a rectangular key fitting into grooves in the hub and shaft of a wheel, especially one formed integrally with the shaft which allows movement of the wheel on the shaft.

FWIW, Cornell has reported some 23,000 tests from 9/28 through 10/1, with two positives and none on 9/30 and 10/1 (over 11,000 tests those two days). Solid leadership, commitment of resources, and a willing school population can beat this thing.

?? Splines = a rectangular key fitting into grooves in the hub and shaft of a wheel, especially one formed integrally with the shaft which allows movement of the wheel on the shaft.

Spline - 2. A length of rubber cord used to hold the screen in place in a window frame. The screen goes in the groove followed by the spline (using a spline tool), which keeps everything tight in the groove.

FWIW, Cornell has reported some 23,000 tests from 9/28 through 10/1, with two positives and none on 9/30 and 10/1 (over 11,000 tests those two days). Solid leadership, commitment of resources, and a willing school population can beat this thing.
I work at a university (has a D1 wrestling program) and we've had good success so far as well. Every student had to pass a test on arrival (40k students) with a less than a 1% positive rate. All students and staff are subject to weekly mitigation testing (over 10k tests a week I believe) and the positive rate has stayed low. We had a couple early scares in the frat/sorority houses right at the beginning of the semester, but the university imposed a strict quarantine. Most importantly, through mitigation testing, the university has yet to track any spread through in person classrooms.

As you said, sound, competent leadership with public buy in can control this thing. We have very strict rules on campus. The problem with the wider public has been buy in. It's not surprising when 30% of the population believes it's either a hoax or not a big deal and we haven't had a consistent centralized strategy from the top. We should have had a national policy from the start instead of the disjointed, disorganized strategy of letting each state do their own thing.

Now back to wrestling within enclosed room full of sweaty guys in close contact for hours on end every day. It pains me to think about it, but administrators are the most PC spinless people on earth. They will NEVER take the risk.

Define “full season.” We already know it’s not starting until at least 1/1 with regular season tournaments unlikely.

But the MLB basically had every problem you listed and yet they have started their playoffs and after the initial scare with the Marlins really haven’t had a ton of interruptions.

Obviously college wrestling isn’t the NFL, MLB or college FB but barring a huge second wave I think NCAA’s happen. Everyone just has to be accepting of the possibility of a positive test knocking you out of the conference tourney or NCAA’s. I could see them changing the rules for allowing some guys who earned automatic qualifier spots to advance if you are forced to miss the conference tourney though. But just more reason we’ll likely see a lot of redshirts this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT