ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

Assuming DT leaves and he has to sell/shutter M2, who do we want to see step into his club owner shoes? I think a club run by Nolf sounds good

Reactions: Goathead88
Assuming DT leaves and he has to sell/shutter M2, who do we want to see step into his club owner shoes? I think a club run by Nolf sounds good
It seems like McKnight is just as active in it, if not more when David was training. Will be an interesting development.

Yes it does.

Again, I just don’t see it. He’d leave like 2-3 separate businesses, he’s not retired from wrestling and is coached by that staff, and if he’s interested in coaching in college he’s developing a fortress for the PSU job someday.

Even the “offer he can’t refuse” seems like it would really have to be a lot of money above and beyond. Other hand, he’d probably like taking a job that would be something on a resume to get the psu job.

I just don’t see it. That he was what seems like a Hail Mary at the end kind of reinforces that.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Yes it does.

Again, I just don’t see it. He’d leave like 2-3 separate businesses, he’s not retired from wrestling and is coached by that staff, and if he’s interested in coaching in college he’s developing a fortress for the PSU job someday.

Even the “offer he can’t refuse” seems like it would really have to be a lot of money above and beyond. Other hand, he’d probably like taking a job that would be something on a resume to get the psu job.

I just don’t see it. That he was what seems like a Hail Mary at the end kind of reinforces that.
I agree with this and you don't say no to an interview. We will see sooner than later.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I think it’s more than possible that JS brought Scott over, likely with a raise, without any admin involvement at all.

As in, “come be my assistant and it gets you a leg up”, and they both believed it to be true without clearing that thought with admin.
IMO highly unlikely that Smith made a hire of that magnitude, with a big enough salary to poach a Power 5 head coach, without AD and possibly university trustee involvement.

Smith was also on year-to-year contracts. Having a school-approved succession plan in place would've been a good way to buy himself time with his bosses.

IMO highly unlikely that Smith made a hire of that magnitude, with a big enough salary to poach a Power 5 head coach, without AD and possibly university trustee involvement.

Smith was also on year-to-year contracts. Having a school-approved succession plan in place would've been a good way to buy himself time with his bosses.
That’s fair. Likely correct.

Still, something’s amiss here (unless they changed leadership in athletics). They put together a school-approved succession plan then got cold feet? Based on what I wonder. By all accounts, Scott has been what he was expected to be. Leadership woke up one day and decided to shoot its shot with “Better”? I would like to be a fly on the wall when the discussion of better options came up in the first place.

Again, not saying the school wasn’t involved, and I don’t know financial status of moving jobs, but it just seems so weird to just pull the rug out a year after it would have seemed to be a great idea.

Still, something’s amiss here (unless they changed leadership in athletics). They put together a school-approved succession plan then got cold feet? Based on what I wonder. By all accounts, Scott has been what he was expected to be. Leadership woke up one day and decided to shoot its shot with “Better”? I would like to be a fly on the wall when the discussion of better options came up in the first place.

Again, not saying the school wasn’t involved, and I don’t know financial status of moving jobs, but it just seems so weird to just pull the rug out a year after it would have seemed to be a great idea.
OSU insiders say a prominent booster got involved last minute. If so, that explains the "Keystone Cops" look to the transition. It also means they are batting for the fences with the booster carrying all the freight of any package.

OSU insiders say a prominent booster got involved last minute. If so, that explains the "Keystone Cops" look to the transition. It also means they are batting for the fences with the booster carrying all the freight of any package.
Yeah. That makes sense to an extent.

This just feels to me that Smith brought a guy over hoping/personally intending on him to be the successor but not with some connection beyond that.

Folks who say, “Well why would Scott leave
UNC with no guarantee or promise?” Reason is that the rewards of leaving can be asymmetrical to the risk: you’re leaving a job you can likely get down the road again if something falls through, but if you get the OSU job you’ve landed your dream job. On top of that, let’s face it he didn’t take a paycut to do it. Keep in mind we’re in an era where a P5 football coach left voluntarily to DC in the NFL. This isn’t our Father’s landscape. Unless you’re a blue blood in any sport, you’re constantly prey to NIL and portal hell. Sometimes are even as one.

The booster thing makes sense in that regard because the booster had/has no real concern at all with what Scott wants.

Cold feet? No, opportunity. I don’t doubt the Iowa wanted to talk to DT rumors. When David lost it left open the obvious possibility that he’d consider hanging up his shoes. Now, if you know there are only a few blue bloods that could interest him, you have somebody say you have the $$$, and you know another blue blood may go knocking …

For one, she required coaches to submit weekly reports for review of the programs. Russ Rose spent an entire flight from Philly to Atlanta sitting next to my best friend explaining how he spends more time explaining his program's needs and goals to Sandy than he did coaching and recruiting combined.

There was the one summer he would not sign his contract until the negotiations for his assistant coaches' pay was taken out of the AD's hands and negotiated to Cael's satisfaction at a level way above Sandy's pay scale.

Sandy wasn't the vaccine problem, but the closest I was ever aware that PSU might lose Cael was over the vaccine.
Such a bada$$ on every level, a man to truly admire

Reactions: osuja
If DT is gone, who is his “David Taylor” follow-your-idol athlete? Jax I guess. Levi probably wouldn’t leave PA. Kasak maybe? Just spitballing.

Last edited:
Cold feet? No, opportunity. I don’t doubt the Iowa wanted to talk to DT rumors. When David lost it left open the obvious possibility that he’d consider hanging up his shoes. Now, if you know there are only a few blue bloods that could interest him, you have somebody say you have the $$$, and you know another blue blood may go knocking …
When the PSU job opened, Cael was interested because it was one of the few places where he could create a dynasty. He also considered that the job may come open once every 10 to 20 years.

DT losing to Brooks is essentially the changing of the guard. Reality for DT is that he was most likely hanging up the shoes in a few years. Blue blood program comes calling, he has to listen if he has any interest at all in college coaching. Cael is not leaving PSU anytime soon.

If DT took the OSU job, it does not prevent him from returning to PSU when Cael is done coaching.

Do we think there could be a culture issue? I don't really think that exists so much in Wrestling anymore. I think a coach will have to work to instill what they want to accomplish, but I see that as less an issue than the actual location culture issue and that might not be that big a deal for most kids anymore.

If DT is gone, who is his “David Taylor” follow your idol athlete? Jax I guess. Levi probably wouldn’t leave PA. Kasak maybe? Just spitballing.
I'm just hoping DT wouldn't poach kids from PSU'S roster. Nothing to stop him, but recruiting kids from M2 would be completely different as they're fair game to anyone.

Awe little fatty patty didn't get the news 1st?
Brian, you outweigh me by 100 lbs… that’s not an exaggeration. Very weird flex to call someone fat when they weigh 165 and you weigh 265 dude. Seek help.

Also “the news” isn’t official. David Taylor hasn’t accepted anything yet, you want to ask him yourself?

• Haha
Reactions: Str8DBLz
Brian, you outweigh me by 100 lbs… that’s not an exaggeration. Very weird flex to call someone fat when they weigh 165 and you weigh 265 dude. Seek help.

Also “the news” isn’t official. David Taylor hasn’t accepted anything yet, you want to ask him yourself?
HaHaHa. ;)

Literally the last 5 statements you have made like this on here have all been fa

We will all wait for the big announcement today Brian- since he accepted according to you- that would be news to David & his wife: so I guess you knew before them, wow!

The last 5 things you posted on here like this have all been completely false. David did not accept any job as of now. The scramble needs better sources…

Reactions: donboy6499
Happy for DT and family, sad for Penn State Nation.

I think he has all the tools to be a great coach. With NIL and the Portal, OSU may be nipping at PSU's heels sooner rather than later. :-/
DT and his family weren’t aware they accepted the job last night/ I guess Brian knows more than them lol

For how long was Mike Kemerer retired?
lol keep going back to that one. Go for it. How many since then? Michael was out of the room for months and Iowa announced Swafford as the starter and even had him pick out an intro song. Glad it lit a fire and Kem “gutted through” and came back and finished out with that serious injury, did you not see him? …if you went to hold that on my neck go for it- ignore the hundreds of spot on takes over the years since then.

Not here to banter with an anonymous fool/ here to point out that coder once again is planting bad info in here, David and his family aren’t aware they accepted the job. So I guess maybe coder knows better than them.

We will see what happens…

Reactions: mcpat
How long was Koll on staff at PSU?
lol. Did Coleman grow up in the Okie state wrestling room with his dad a legendary Okie State coach? Did Scott have an actual offer that he accepted?

We got a good one in Cael, but Koll ended up getting crapped on in a way none of should.

Beating the dead horse here the 100th time but what angered Cael also was he was seeing roster damage. The Evan Wick fiasco was awful, him getting into Cal Poly no issues made it worse. Sandy didn’t lift a finger to helps him. Sandy being completely behind the 8 ball for NIL also cost PSU Suriano. Both of those pieces at the time looked like it could tangibly cost them the 2022 national championship. Similarly RBY’s “I’m done” statement related to his frustrations with not being allowed to even participate in his own deals for NIL but luckily that was fixed in time.
My best HS friend went to Cal and stayed in the Bay Area his entire adult life. When we hired “Dear Sandy” he told me that she spent huge dollars on the wrong things and basically ran the entire show into the ground. The Cal alums didn
You think the fans would be pissed if they hired DT instead?
No. Coleman walked the long way to become the top man at Okie St. If DT is hired, Okie State will man up and pay Coleman. The fans of course will be thrilled if it happens. Coleman will have a bit of a road rash, but, he’s got the bones to land upright and tight.
why are you 'sure' of that?

what document do you know of that contractually stipulated he was coach-in-waiting?
obviously I’ve seen no legal document that proves my point. Rather I rely on a ubiquitous practice in business, non-profits, and sports. If an organization seeks out a talent and asks him/her to uproot their family, give up a very good job, and step into the unknown, …… then the target almost always gets the gig put in writing with the help of a lawyer. Hell, I’ve seen even mid level Supply Chain dudes get assurances put in writing. Coleman is no dummy! You can bet he covered his bases when he moved west.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT