ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

If DT takes the OSU job, it must be for an absurd amont of money. His wife just opens a restaurant in State College, it is going to be her "thing". Certainly the connection to DT helps. She would be starting from scratch in Stillwater with any business and DT won't be quite the draw there. To have his wife walk away from that, the offer would have to be too good to be true to turn down.

Reactions: diggerpup

Smart ass. ;) Personally, I think that we're likely to hear from David Taylor himself or someone "close to him" whether he's been offered (and will accept), offered and not accepting or not offered, not interested. We'll see. Mostly I feel like the guys who are middle of the road on this rumor. It's hard not to imagine David having lots of suitors moving forward, especially if he is intending to retire from freestyle wrestling. It's probably a good thing for David, since they'd probably have to offer a good bit of money, but on the other hand, it doesn't exactly work into his family plans and business plans. Probably doesn't hurt PSU (actually helps from the perspective of getting other PSU wrestlers into coaching), but does make recruiting certain kids a bit more interesting for a while.

The silence is deafening. If this was only a rumor I think DT or someone close to him would have said something by now. Aside from that, I have seen a few well connected people on multiple forums saying this is going to happen. The only question seems to be when the announcement will occur.

Considering that Taylor and the OKST AD first met 3 days ago, and there have been no reports of a site visit or an offer being extended ...

It does sound like Askren is guessing.
If so, I'd Imagine we lose Jimmy Kennedy too.

Reactions: 1AA
If DT takes the OSU job, it must be for an absurd amont of money. His wife just opens a restaurant in State College, it is going to be her "thing". Certainly the connection to DT helps. She would be starting from scratch in Stillwater with any business and DT won't be quite the draw there. To have his wife walk away from that, the offer would have to be too good to be true to turn down.
Props to OSU for at least making this interesting.

Reactions: railbirrd
The silence is deafening. If this was only a rumor I think DT or someone close to him would have said something by now. Aside from that, I have seen a few well connected people on multiple forums saying this is going to happen. The only question seems to be when the announcement will occur.
Has DT made a visit to Stillwater? Before accepting the job, you would think him and Kendra would want to check out possible homes, facilities, etc.

Has DT made a visit to Stillwater? Before accepting the job, you would think him and Kendra would want to check out possible homes, facilities, etc.
I would think any transition would be over 3-4 months, with DT primarily in OK and Kendra uprooting them from life in PA. Househunting would not be a priority this week if it was me. As for facilities, has DT been there in the past?

The silence could also be that nothing changed during a weekend.

Agreed. I imagine they gave him an offer on Friday, and the weekend to talk it over with his wife.
Green vs earth tone

Comfortable adulation vs skeptical alums and former wrestlers.

The ability to franchise M2 across the nation under the magic man brand vs tangling with university politics, NIL’s, and a highly demanding fan base.

Think about this a bit! My money says David and his family stay in the State College area.

I'd of course be sad to see DT go (I'd have to change my avatar!). But this would be a huge opportunity for him--and it'd be good for the sport.

On the other hand there are too many unknowns to us to know which way the wind is blowing. They are almost ready to open the Vitality Wellness Club on Garner w/ Dake. They just bought a farm. I have little doubt OK St is making it as attractive as possible.

One thing that bugs me about this: They're hitting him w/ this life-changing decision at a pretty vulnerable time. It can be hard to make rational decisions after your perspective on the world has shifted as dramatically as I'm guessing the OTT loss did.

One thing I'm confident in: DT has some incredible people in his life to ask for advice. If I was one of those people, I'd tell him to consider it all, and take as much time as they give him to decide. I believe Cael did this, and didn't actually make his final decision before one last late night/sleep in prayer. The news will break when it breaks--I tend to think it won't be today, but I've been wrong.

Last edited:
Green vs earth tone

Comfortable adulation vs skeptical alums and former wrestlers.

The ability to franchise M2 across the nation under the magic man brand vs tangling with university politics, NIL’s, and a highly demanding fan base.

Think about this a bit! My money says David and his family stay in the State College area.
How would you franchise such a thing as a wrestling club? The barrier to club entry is not high enough to warrant franchising costs. You pay franchising costs to gain skill in methodology and organizaton, neither of which is expensive to obtain through the school of hard knocks in a wrestling club environment. Just look around. Stellar Trained hit the ground running because of the coaching and not because of a particular methodology. All the others have as well.

Last edited:
While I hope they stay in PA, I still think that DT and his wife would be able to relocate and still remotely manage their businesses in the State College area. You just have to hire people you can trust to manage day-to-day operations.

Also, lots of people, especially college coaches, coach in one place and call their main home in another state/location. Friend of mine lives in PA and coaches college softball in NY. Not a great work-life balance with a young family, but it can be done with the right support system. Plus, DT still having a recruiting presence in the hotbed will be key to him being able to recruit PA, OH, NJ talent to OSU.

How would you franchise such a thing as a wrestling club? The barrier to club entry is not high enough to warrant franchising costs.
Barrier to entry is indeed very low, but, I would leverage the “DavidTaylor Brand”. Using M2 as a model, he could select site heads that align with his teaching methods and slowly expand his footprint. With a few willing investors he would not have to use the franchise model. Just a thought! If I were David (based on results to date), I’d bet on myself before betting on Okie State!

Barrier to entry is indeed very low, but, I would leverage the “DavidTaylor Brand”. Using M2 as a model, he could select site heads that align with his teaching methods and slowly expand his footprint. With a few willing investors he would not have to use the franchise model. Just a thought! If I were David (based on results to date), I’d bet on myself before betting on Okie State!
He would certainly be better off having regional M2 training centers owned and operated by him than to franchise. At first blush, not sure regional centers really work either. Adds to your facility costs, and dilutes the quality somewhat at all centers. Kids go to clubs for the results and not the name on the building. Just my pennies.

Last edited:
Reactions: baccafarmer
I understand that DT is upset about how the OTTs ended for him, but, I have to wonder if he's acting hastily and not thinking this through.

Oklahoma sucks, and packing up his family and moving from State College to Stillwater is going to be a huge adjustment. And, I really thought that he was going to be the next HC of Penn State, whenever Cael retires. Not so sure that would be the case now. OSU is a great opportunity for him but it's not Penn State.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
According to Pyles it was David who reached out to OkSt expressing interest in the position but he ended up declining.
Marlon Brando Movie GIF

I have seen David's home videos. He has 3 little girls. He has a farm. The family loves the animals. I do not see why this move makes sense for the Family, unless Coaching is what David needs/must to do now. The family seems so happy as is.

Guy will do anything to duck AB /s

In all seriousness, he should take it if he ever wants to coach in college. Won't be a better job open until Penn State opens up and we could be decades away from that.
i agree PSu can't be his first coaching experience.

I understand that DT is upset about how the OTTs ended for him, but, I have to wonder if he's acting hastily and not thinking this through.

Oklahoma sucks, and packing up his family and moving from State College to Stillwater is going to be a huge adjustment. And, I really thought that he was going to be the next HC of Penn State, whenever Cael retires. Not so sure that would be the case now. OSU is a great opportunity for him but it's not Penn State.
Stillwater is a pretty nice place. I used to travel there a lot for business and it had a PSU vibe. Large State University in a smaller town.

Mineo is reporting that AB failed a test at U23 Worlds for... Adderall. I don't believe this is an automatic suspension and the time between U23s and OTTs could be "time served" if there IS a suspension.

Theoretically, DT could be the rep in Paris if AB isn't cleared. I wonder if that played into any decision here.

Reactions: js8793
Mineo is reporting that AB failed a test at U23 Worlds for... Adderall. I don't believe this is an automatic suspension and the time between U23s and OTTs could be "time served" if there IS a suspension.

Theoretically, DT could be the rep in Paris if AB isn't cleared.
Wow that's surprising news.

I have seen David's home videos. He has 3 little girls. He has a farm. The family loves the animals. I do not see why this move makes sense for the Family, unless Coaching is what David needs/must to do now. The family seems so happy as is.
This may come as a surprise but those things are available in Stillwater. Also if you make enough any place can be good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT