ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

Is it me or if true DT just doesn’t seem like a fit in Okie State no matter the $$$$. Iowa, maybe, but seems a bit uncomfortable in Stillwater especially if it’s all $$$ driven.
I’d have to argue the opposite, OK State has been underachieving but they do not seem to have anywhere near the drama or the toxic fan base. I also think David would be more excited for the state of Oklahoma as a whole compared to Iowa.

Reactions: Bob_Anderson
My best HS friend went to Cal and stayed in the Bay Area his entire adult life. When we hired “Dear Sandy” he told me that she spent huge dollars on the wrong things and basically ran the entire show into the ground. The Cal alums didn

No. Coleman walked the long way to become the top man at Okie St. If DT is hired, Okie State will man up and pay Coleman. The fans of course will be thrilled if it happens. Coleman will have a bit of a road rash, but, he’s got the bones to land upright and tight.

obviously I’ve seen no legal document that proves my point. Rather I rely on a ubiquitous practice in business, non-profits, and sports. If an organization seeks out a talent and asks him/her to uproot their family, give up a very good job, and step into the unknown, …… then the target almost always gets the gig put in writing with the help of a lawyer. Hell, I’ve seen even mid level Supply Chain dudes get assurances put in writing. Coleman is no dummy! You can bet he covered his bases when he moved west.
Wouldn't such a legal document easily be obtainable (to the public) at a public university, and moreover, why wouldn't that be publicized in the first place (that this is our "coach in waiting")?

If you are willing to pay your way out of it if a David Taylor becomes available, what downside is there to the school to hide it at all? The first FOIA down the road would reveal it anyway.

I always thought Jordan Oliver would make a great coach - based on very limited observation of him at a clinic. Just seems to have incredible wrestling IQ and seems to have the ability to communicate it. This was years ago and I was surprised how nice he came off - very engaged with the kids

I can’t say I love this but I’m not sure how much it hurts PSU. I know kids love DT and for good reason and some will absolutely jump to be coached by him but when it comes down to it PSU still has the best head coach and assistants in the country and it’s not really close. I think most kids will still look at Cael and PSU as the place they want to be. I do hope DT builds OSU into the second best program in the country though. If this true of course and I’m not sold on it happening

I can’t say I love this but I’m not sure how much it hurts PSU. I know kids love DT and for good reason and some will absolutely jump to be coached by him but when it comes down to it PSU still has the best head coach and assistants in the country and it’s not really close. I think most kids will still look at Cael and PSU as the place they want to be. I do hope DT builds OSU into the second best program in the country though. If this true of course and I’m not sold on it happening
Cael has raised the bar and now Okie State is indicating they want to reach for it. It hasn’t happened for Iowa or O$U so it’s Okie States turn using a PSU guy to get them there which no one else has done.

This is pretty much where I’m at with it too. One of the things that stands out about the PSU ecosystem is how loyal and insulated it has been from the rest. But it is only a matter of time before opportunity outweighs risk for someone close to the inner circle, and the “PSU way” starts to impact the broader sport culture to greater degrees and impact than the feeble attempts at copying we’ve seen to date.

But Cael is the ultimate unicorn, and it’s not just his prowess on the mat. His emotional intelligence is off the charts, and people don’t give him enough credit for what that brings to the team’s success.

DT might well utterly transform and improve a team like OK State, and I’d be happy for him, them, and the sport—but that is still a far cry from a real threat to the happy valley dominance.

lol keep going back to that one. Go for it. How many since then? Michael was out of the room for months and Iowa announced Swafford as the starter and even had him pick out an intro song. Glad it lit a fire and Kem “gutted through” and came back and finished out with that serious injury, did you not see him? …if you went to hold that on my neck go for it- ignore the hundreds of spot on takes over the years since then.

Not here to banter with an anonymous fool/ here to point out that coder once again is planting bad info in here, David and his family aren’t aware they accepted the job. So I guess maybe coder knows better than them.

We will see what happens…
Sorry; just trying to be funny. Enjoy your tweets a lot.

Reactions: PatMineo22
It’s a good stepping stone job for him. He’ll have some good experience when he takes the PSU job in 4-5 years.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
This is pretty much where I’m at with it too. One of the things that stands out about the PSU ecosystem is how loyal and insulated it has been from the rest. But it is only a matter of time before opportunity outweighs risk for someone close to the inner circle, and the “PSU way” starts to impact the broader sport culture to greater degrees and impact than the feeble attempts at copying we’ve seen to date.

But Cael is the ultimate unicorn, and it’s not just his prowess on the mat. His emotional intelligence is off the charts, and people don’t give him enough credit for what that brings to the team’s success.

DT might well utterly transform and improve a team like OK State, and I’d be happy for him, them, and the sport—but that is still a far cry from a real threat to the happy valley dominance.
I think that one factor is Cael isn't going anywhere soon. Don't blame anyone. Competition is good.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Why do people expect Cael Sanderson to be done before he turns 50?
And, in concert with that, WHATS THE GODDAMN ****ING RUSH?!!!!!!! Is he not winning enough for some people that we can’t wait to replace him with a mini-me? Shut the **** up and let him do his ****ing job - you cocksucking hoopleheads!

al-swearengen-featured.jpg

No idea. @smalls103 may know details.
i wouldn't share what was a confidential convo, but a couple of you guys eluded to it.

i got the impression that the road map wasn't as clear as it could have been and that the advent of NIL and willingness to allow / get on board with some things caused at least a little uncertainty.

of course it's all water under the bridge now and Cael is right where he's supposed to be. ;)

this past season it was such a joy/relief to see the new AD cheering on the wrestling team both home and on the road. as a fan and a proud supporter of what Cael has built in my home state, i want him to be happy and maintain the excellence they created and it seems like he and the admin are on the same page now.

additionally, i often take notice of AD's of other programs that are in attendance and supporting their wrestling teams. i guess it's the paranoia of working in a 'smaller' sport so when i see the support of the admin it's encouraging/relieving.

When DT takes the job, the biggest questions are what wrestlers follow, what coaches does he bring on with him. Does Coleman Scott stay or go.

Does Okla St become the only team that could give psu a run after 5-6 years of DT/PSU influence.

Spitballing-
DT tries to take Kasak, Levi, Perry, Jax with him. He brings McNugget and Jimmy Kennedy with him. He goes all in and lands Basset. He then starts to attract big recruits like Deion Sanders did. Do we have anything to worry about. The answer is NO, but he will be line to get Oklahoma State back in line to win the smaller ncaa trophies

I'm not saying it won't happen but kids tend to have a hard time leaving PSU if they're having a good time here period, let alone kids who are starting and having success. Barraclough waited until he graduated with an extra year to leave.

Tyler and Levi are PA kids and firmly entrenched on the team. Levi's GF goes to Lock Haven and his family lives less than 2 hours away.

Dalton Perry I don't think is getting a cent of scholarship from PSU, his mom works for the school so he is going basically for free and he previously said PSU is all he has ever wanted and he wouldn't have wrestled in college if he couldn't at PSU.

However, all bets all off for future top kids with DT recruiting for Ok State. Kids who are "jammed" at PSU might have Ok State as a top choice going forward.

When DT takes the job, the biggest questions are what wrestlers follow, what coaches does he bring on with him. Does Coleman Scott stay or go.

Does Okla St become the only team that could give psu a run after 5-6 years of DT/PSU influence.

Spitballing-
DT tries to take Kasak, Levi, Perry, Jax with him. He brings McNugget and Jimmy Kennedy with him. He goes all in and lands Basset. He then starts to attract big recruits like Deion Sanders did. Do we have anything to worry about. The answer is NO, but he will be line to get Oklahoma State back in line to win the smaller ncaa trophies
I would be shocked if Kasak and Levi left. Kasak maybe if he can’t make the lineup in a year or two but they have both had massive success being coached by Cael and Co. plus they are pA kids. I can’t see those 2 leaving. High school recruits are different and I could see him landing some big names. Still think PSU gets the pick of the litter however

I'm not saying it won't happen but kids tend to have a hard time leaving PSU if they're having a good time here period, let alone kids who are starting and having success. Barraclough waited until he graduated with an extra year to leave.

Tyler and Levi are PA kids and firmly entrenched on the team. Levi's GF goes to Lock Haven and his family lives less than 2 hours away.

Dalton Perry I don't think is getting a cent of scholarship from PSU, his mom works for the school so he is going basically for free and he previously said PSU is all he has ever wanted and he wouldn't have wrestled in college if he couldn't at PSU.

However, all bets all off for future top kids with DT recruiting for Ok State. Kids who are "jammed" at PSU might have Ok State as a top choice going forward.
Good post. The top Pa kids following DT hypothetical omits 2 things:

1. Being 1000 miles from home in what can charitably be described as a flat, ugly backwater
2. Troy Sunderland is not coaching at the flagship State U - some guy named Cael Sanderson is

We [will not be] doomed

Spitballing-
Well, Okie State was already thought to be the favorite for Jax (currently uncommitted), prior to the DT coaching rumors, so that one isn't crazy.

Haines has had pretty good success at PSU so far. Seems unlikely he would want to leave, unless he has some very strong connection to DT that I'm unaware of.

Kasak is a possibility, much more so if he eventually is squeezed out of a starting spot.

McNugget and Kennedy? I would guess not, but also guessing that DT would have no issue assembling a strong staff.

Bassett, who knows? But the chance to wrestle for DT would give him (and every other top recruit) something to think about. With or without Bassett, gotta believe Okie State recruiting (already usually pretty darn good) would get a real shot in the arm.

Actually Forrest's main connection to Oklahoma State is Coleman Scott, who his family has been close with for a while (he is a North Carolina kid) Obviously DT is someone he would look up to but DT going there if anything could help us, especially since I imagine his family would not look kindly on Coleman not getting the job.

Is there a concern that the RTC studs will relocate to Oklahoma? I have only been thru that state once and it was not particularly exciting. I am sure there are beautiful parts of Oklahoma but how is the campus area.

Is there a concern that the RTC studs will relocate to Oklahoma? I have only been thru that state once and it was not particularly exciting. I am sure there are beautiful parts of Oklahoma but how is the campus area.
I think they’ll get recruits, absolutely.

I don’t think they’ll bring Penn State back to the pack in any way. They’ll have to catch them then maintain consistent excellence to stay there.

Either way, it’s Iowa that should be worried here, not Penn State.

Considering that Taylor and the OKST AD first met 3 days ago, and there have been no reports of a site visit or an offer being extended ...

It does sound like Askren is guessing.
I imagine OKST's AD made a real pitch, and it is perhaps one of the three best jobs in wrestling coaching, jobs which are rarely available... but it would be odd for DT to accept the job before actually visiting Stillwater given how entrenched his entire family is in State College. Money could easily offset whatever's lost in the move, but only if you view what you're losing in purely monentary terms. I wouldn't begrudge DT making that decision, but I'd be surprised if he made it that quickly, or under pressure because the AD gave him a short deadline.

IMHO, there are 3 main jobs of a wrestling coach. In order of importance they are 1. Development, 2. Recruiting and 3. Administration (a distant third). DT has demonstrated developmental success at M2, and I am unaware of how much/little impact he has had with the PSU roster, but I assume at least some. DT is the ONLY person out there that immediately moves the needle on #2, and #3 is largely inconsequential if your coach is strong with the first 2.
I see NOBODY else out there, and if I were an AD at a historically strong wrestling program, and I was sufficiently motivated to get back to past glory, and I had the $$$ available - I’d talk/beg/plead/do whatever it takes to land DT. IOWA apparently didnt move aggressively enough. Maybe OKSt did.
Kinda sux for us if he leaves, but I’ll be happy for him, and root for him/his guys when not facing the Nits. And I bet Cael feels the same way.
I don’t THINK he would poach the current roster or commits, but the bench is deep and full at PSU. It might be best (for the wrestlers themselves) for one/two current/future wrestlers to go with any move DT might make, and I would expect that to be an open discussion between CS and DT.

Reactions: diggerpup
I imagine OKST's AD made a real pitch, and it is perhaps one of the three best jobs in wrestling coaching, jobs which are rarely available... but it would be odd for DT to accept the job before actually visiting Stillwater given how entrenched his entire family is in State College. Money could easily offset whatever's lost in the move, but only if you view what you're losing in purely monentary terms. I wouldn't begrudge DT making that decision, but I'd be surprised if he made it that quickly, or under pressure because the AD gave him a short deadline.
Also, IDK how OKST operates, but if this were PSU, no announcement would be possible before the Board of Trustees held a public meeting to approve the hiring and funding allocation -- even if much of the funding were external.

And that meeting would require some public notice beforehand. (PSU does not typically announce the agenda item in the public notice, but it's rarely a secret.)

All of which is to say that, even if an offer were extended and accepted so quickly (neither of which is certain), an announcement tomorrow seems extremely unlikely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT