ADVERTISEMENT

Death Threat to PSU Beta Members

Earlier today, Lt. Robb of the State College Police Department contacted attorneys for the Beta members facing criminal charges in connection with Tim Piazza's death, and informed them that the University President's office received an anonymous telephone call yesterday in which the caller stated:

"If Penn State allows any of the Beta brothers involved in this case back onto campus, they will take them out."

This subject is mentioned briefly in an ABC News article posted in the "Beta Theta Pi hearing marathon" thread on this Board, but the news article is a bit vague, and indicates that State College Police Department "refused to comment."

Refused to comment?! For several months now, Stacy Parks Miller has been attempting to try these young men in the media, likely with an eye towards positioning herself as a "law and order" DA best suited for reelection to her office. She has refused to return to the Beta Housing Corporation (which she also persuaded the grand jury to indict) either the original or an unmodified (i.e., "forensic") copy of the video taken on Beta house cameras, all while making numerous incendiary statements about what it supposedly depicts. She is now reported to be appealing a court order directing her to do so and threatening to hold her in contempt of court.

Ms. Parks Miller's efforts to try these young men in the media have been abetted considerably by Jim and Evelyn Piazza, who have variously described the Beta brothers as having committed "murder" and "torture," among other inaccurate and overwrought assertions. Their grief is understandable and they deserve considerable sympathy, but the scorched earth campaign they have conducted against these young men has gone way over the top.

As the parent of a Beta member, albeit one who is not (to use the anonymous caller's words) "involved in this case" and not facing any criminal charges, my focus has now shifted a bit. My prior sympathy for the Piazzas (and my concern that the trial of these young men would be rendered a mockery by a deeply tainted jury pool), has now largely been replaced by concern for the physical safety of my son and his roommates and friends. The University and the State College Police may not want to discuss this death threat, but I certainly hope they will take it seriously.

And BTW, thank you, Stacy Parks Miller, Jim Piazza, and Evelyn Piazza.

LafayetteBear, I don't want to minimize what you and your son are now dealing with, so apologies if it comes across that way.

But isn't the Beta house shut down? So once school starts back up and I'm assuming it wont be open in the fall either how would they know where your son lives or if he was a Beta member?

Reactions: RobBliz
Moreover, video that shows Piazza drinking at the party (rather than in a pledging ceremony) runs counter to the media narrative that he was forced to drink voluminous quantities of booze in a hazing ceremony that ran well into the night. There are plenty of media reports that paint that exact picture. You would call that video evidence irrelevant?

Hm. Did Piazza sink his shot? Was he coherent enough to answer trivia questions?

Reporters who viewed the tape indicated it is clear that Piazza was in deep, deep trouble for hours before 911 was called. The people around him could clearly see that and dicked around doing nothing instead of getting him help.

Too bad they didn't read the texts, which indicate that there was a debate about whether Piazza had a concussion--not whether his spleen was ruptured or skull fractured. No one had a clue how serious his injuries were. It's not a crime to screw up.

It's irrelevant to the specific question you ask (how drunk can you get in 19 minutes). If you want better answers, ask better questions.
Many people (apparently including you) have assumed and opined, without evidence, that the bulk of Piazza's alcohol consumption was involuntary, and that it occurred during a hazing event.

I have pointed out that the "hazing" ceremony is reported to have lasted for all of nineteen minutes (rather than hours, as many media reports have suggested), and that it involved activities other than chugging hard alcohol. So my question (How much alcohol can you ingest in nineteen minutes?) was clearly rhetorical. (FYI, that means I was making a point rather than seeking an answer.)

The "hazing" ceremony was followed immediately by a party with a sorority (Trilogy), and there are apparently more than a few images of him drinking during that party (i.e., voluntarily). If you do not understand the relevance of that, it only confirms that you are in over your head here.

You, and others, have assumed and opined, without evidence, that all of Piazza's alcohol consumption was involuntary, and that it occurred during a hazing event.

I have pointed out that the "hazing" ceremony is reported to have lasted for all of nineteen minutes (rather than hours, as many media reports have suggested), and that it involved activities other than chugging hard alcohol. So my question (How much alcohol can you ingest in nineteen minutes?) was clearly rhetorical. (FYI, that means I was making a point rather than seeking an answer.)

The "hazing" ceremony was followed immediately by a party with a sorority (Trilogy), and there are apparently more than a few images of him drinking during that party (i.e., voluntarily). If you do not understand the relevance of that, it only confirms that you are in over your head here.

I haven't assumed anything, seems like you're only quoting part of my response. The only thing I know about the case is whats in the press and what's on here. But 19 minutes, even mixed with other activities is enough time to get someone royally messed up.

I haven't assumed anything, seems like you're only quoting part of my response. The only thing I know about the case is whats in the press and what's on here. But 19 minutes, even mixed with other activities is enough time to get someone royally messed up.
Fine. Let's see what actual testimony discloses. That is all I am asking for.

Too bad they didn't read the texts, which indicate that there was a debate about whether Piazza had a concussion--not whether his spleen was ruptured or skull fractured. No one had a clue how serious his injuries were. It's not a crime to screw up.

Legs stiff, arms outstretched, fists clenched. Breathing labored and felt cold, according to Rockwell. Yeah, he sounds fine. Probably could have gone out for a jog hour later.

Then let's be a little more specific. According to the Presentment, the Gauntlet for Piazza consisted of the following:

1. Vodka chug for 8 seconds or less
2. Shotgun a beer
3. Bat spin followed by drinking a beer
4. Drink a beer if he missed throwing his ball in a cup.

So, it's not like he was chugging grain for 19 minutes.

Fine. Let's see what actual testimony discloses. That is all I am asking for.
I have no issue with that, but what you've said about drinking voluntarily and getting really messed up during the gauntlet aren't mutually exclusive. Seems like if he got hammered during the gauntlet, drinks he had after that aren't really "voluntary". But I agree, the defendants should have their day untainted by SPM (if in fact that's true).

Legs stiff, arms outstretched, fists clenched. Breathing labored and felt cold, according to Rockwell. Yeah, he sounds fine. Probably could have gone out for a jog hour later.

I believe this was after the second fall.

Well, they certainly consider themselves a sorority.

True, but that seems a bit semantical to me. They operate as a "local" (rather than national) sorority that is not recognized or regulated by the University. I wonder how long that will continue, after this incident.
They are most likely under scrutiny.

Reactions: humpydudas19
Then let's be a little more specific. According to the Presentment, the Gauntlet for Piazza consisted of the following:

1. Vodka chug for 8 seconds or less
2. Shotgun a beer
3. Bat spin followed by drinking a beer
4. Drink a beer if he missed throwing his ball in a cup.

So, it's not like he was chugging grain for 19 minutes.
So, those are facts, and based solely on that I agree you wouldn't get a BAC of what Tim had. I just don't think it's fair to posit these questions, then say it was obviously rhetorical (because it isn't obvious) when you're presented with something that you don't agree with (instead of actually laying out facts like you did).

LafayetteBear, I don't want to minimize what you and your son are now dealing with, so apologies if it comes across that way.

But isn't the Beta house shut down? So once school starts back up and I'm assuming it wont be open in the fall either how would they know where your son lives or if he was a Beta member?
Yeah, the Beta house is essentially shut down, and he will be living in an apartment with a few friends. But in this age of social media, it seems increasingly easy to track someone down if you have their name, and my guess is that someone could procure a list of Beta members if they were diligent. I hope not, but am assuming the opposite..

Yeah, the Beta house is essentially shut down, and he will be living in an apartment with a few friends. But in this age of social media, it seems increasingly easy to track someone down if you have their name, and my guess is that someone could procure a list of Beta members if they were diligent. I hope not, but am assuming the opposite..

oh ok, I didn't realize there were lists of members.

Whether or not 100% of his alcohol consumption that night was part of the hazing ritual or at the party surrounding the hazing doesn't seem too relevant to me. Hazing is a crime. Furnishing alcohol to an underage minor is also a crime. It was still a crime to provide Piazza with alcohol regardless of whether he voluntarily drank it or whether it was part of the hazing.

The IM statute requires the prosecutor to prove that the defendants' reckless act(s) were the "direct cause" of the death. So, yeah, dead guy's own actions are always at issue if they undermine the prosecutor's case.

Next time, get a clue.
Actually, in PA, the "victims" actions and responsibility are not an element of defense for the IM charge (strange as that may seem)

The "direct cause" issue is, though, and I would expect that will be the key defense element for most of the individuals charged with IM

Hazing is a crime. Furnishing alcohol to an underage minor is also a crime. It was still a crime to provide Piazza with alcohol regardless of whether he voluntarily drank it or whether it was part of the hazing.
Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Whether or not 100% of his alcohol consumption that night was part of the hazing ritual or at the party surrounding the hazing doesn't seem too relevant to me. Hazing is a crime. Furnishing alcohol to an underage minor is also a crime. It was still a crime to provide Piazza with alcohol regardless of whether he voluntarily drank it or whether it was part of the hazing.
Then prosecute them for hazing, or for providing alcohol to an underage person, rather than for manslaughter. .

Actually, in PA, the "victims" actions and responsibility are not an element of defense for the IM charge (strange as that may seem)

The "direct cause" issue is, though, and I would expect that will be the key defense element for most of the individuals charged with IM
There's no "element of defense" here. We're just talking about negating the prosecution's argument that the forced drinking was the direct cause of the death. The argument will be that the dead guy's voluntary drinking and the girls texting on the stairs caused the fall that contributed to the death.

There's no "element of defense" here. We're just talking about negating the prosecution's argument that the forced drinking was the direct cause of the death. The argument will be that the dead guy's voluntary drinking and the girls texting on the stairs caused the fall that contributed to the death.

"The dead guy", huh?

Many people (apparently including you) have assumed and opined, without evidence, that the bulk of Piazza's alcohol consumption was involuntary, and that it occurred during a hazing event.

But it was supposed to be a dry Frat. The kid was underage and the frat supplied him with alcohol. And then when the kid was in serious trouble, the frat bros did less than nothing... they abused the kid. Forget about the hazing, that's not the real problem here.

But it was supposed to be a dry Frat. The kid was underage and the frat supplied him with alcohol. And then when the kid was in serious trouble, the frat bros did less than nothing... they abused the kid. Forget about the hazing, that's not the real problem here.
"Abused him?" We'll see if that narrative holds up at trial.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Earlier today, Lt. Robb of the State College Police Department contacted attorneys for the Beta members facing criminal charges in connection with Tim Piazza's death, and informed them that the University President's office received an anonymous telephone call yesterday in which the caller stated:

"If Penn State allows any of the Beta brothers involved in this case back onto campus, they will take them out."

This subject is mentioned briefly in an ABC News article posted in the "Beta Theta Pi hearing marathon" thread on this Board, but the news article is a bit vague, and indicates that State College Police Department "refused to comment."

Refused to comment?! For several months now, Stacy Parks Miller has been attempting to try these young men in the media, likely with an eye towards positioning herself as a "law and order" DA best suited for reelection to her office. She has refused to return to the Beta Housing Corporation (which she also persuaded the grand jury to indict) either the original or an unmodified (i.e., "forensic") copy of the video taken on Beta house cameras, all while making numerous incendiary statements about what it supposedly depicts. She is now reported to be appealing a court order directing her to do so and threatening to hold her in contempt of court.

Ms. Parks Miller's efforts to try these young men in the media have been abetted considerably by Jim and Evelyn Piazza, who have variously described the Beta brothers as having committed "murder" and "torture," among other inaccurate and overwrought assertions. Their grief is understandable and they deserve considerable sympathy, but the scorched earth campaign they have conducted against these young men has gone way over the top.

As the parent of a Beta member, albeit one who is not (to use the anonymous caller's words) "involved in this case" and not facing any criminal charges, my focus has now shifted a bit. My prior sympathy for the Piazzas (and my concern that the trial of these young men would be rendered a mockery by a deeply tainted jury pool), has now largely been replaced by concern for the physical safety of my son and his roommates and friends. The University and the State College Police may not want to discuss this death threat, but I certainly hope they will take it seriously.

Stacy Parks Miller lost by 70% of democrats and 80% of write-in republican ballots in the May primaries.

Centre County said no to her corruption and overcharging.

Reports are that it was, in fact, a nineteen (19) minute event. (Recall that there were girls from Trilogy waiting upstairs for a party with these boys.)

Just how much booze could he have ingested in nineteen minutes?
Well the guy looked to be about 200 pounds. If he had ten drinks, 1.25 oz 80% booze, a 12 oz. beer, or 5 oz. of wine, gives him a BAC of about .19. His BAC appears to be well over .19, not going to argue the .4, but that is still well over ten drinks to get over 2. Piazza slammed a lot of alcohol.

While I don't condone the death threats why not teach your kid a lesson instead of tying to start a pity party? He chose to pay to be a member of this organization that hazed members to join and who had a house manager who was selling drugs out of the house. Are you going to pretend he didn't know what was going on? Perhaps you should tell him to choose his friends and what organizations he joins better. If you are worried about his safety there is a simple solution, transfer. Instead of blaming others why not tell him to take personal responsibility for being part of a terrible organization. The Piazzas and the DA didn't force him to become a beta. Instead of personal responsibility you want to turn your son and his "brothers" as victims.

Your post is Nuts! This is a very sad situation but telling his son who could be a model student to leave Penn State is simply out of line.............

Last edited:
Regarding the person making the threats, wouldn't they likely have a Greek affiliation ? Betas actions caused further scrutiny on Greek life, and a possible end on Greek life at PSU. GDI's are not really affected.

Question for Laf Bear.

Did your son regard the gauntlet as hazing?

Based on the reports I've read, I'm not sure that this was hazing, but instead was a challenge, to show how much of a man, how tough you were. I think I read somewhere that young Piazza texted that he was looking forward to the drinking that night.

I'm not saying for a second that ability to drink alcohol is equivalent to toughness. But I am saying that this ide is quite common amongst adolescent males. My stepson is in the Marines. Guess what. They have drinking competitions.

To my mind, hazing involves demeaning acts. Forcing a kid to drink urine, or vomit. Or run naked through the street. Or physical abuse. Is asking a kid to drink to excess, to show how much of a man he is, truly hazing?

Question for Laf Bear.

Based on the reports I've read, I'm not sure that this was hazing, but instead was a challenge, to show how much of a man, how tough you were. I think I read somewhere that young Piazza texted that he was looking forward to the drinking that night.

I'm not saying for a second that ability to drink alcohol is equivalent to toughness. But I am saying that this ide is quite common amongst adolescent males. My stepson is in the Marines. Guess what. They have drinking competitions.

To my mind, hazing involves demeaning acts. Forcing a kid to drink urine, or vomit. Or run naked through the street. Or physical abuse. Is asking a kid to drink to excess, to show how much of a man he is, truly hazing?
C'mon. We all know what happened here. Piazza did this voluntarily, and had a great time right up until he fell. If he hadn't fallen, he would have woken up the next morning with a hangover and told stories about what a great night he had. A large number of other kids on campus probably drank similar amounts of alcohol. Piazza wasn't forced to do anything he didn't want to do. Yet, the "hazing" statute in Pennsylvania is so overbroad that it criminalizes this event, and gives the prosecutor and her fan boys a great talking point to use to try to taint the jury pool.

Question for Laf Bear.

Yes. But so is yelling at him, calling him names and forcing him to clean your room. Very broad definition now. The kids are definitely in trouble but it does not sound as malicious as the Media narrative.

Not sure if this is true, but I heard that one fraternity that was cited for hazing in the past had as one example (there were others more egregious I'm sure) that they "hazed" their pledges by making them study at the library for 2 hours as a group. Per the university, this was hazing due to other brothers not being required to do this....

I have continually spoken out in this thread, and others, about rushing to judgment, but some of the posts here which attempt to explain away excessive alcohol consumption (e.g. "it was voluntary") and hazing astound me. I have limited time today so I will leave it at that.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Not sure if this is true, but I heard that one fraternity that was cited for hazing in the past had as one example (there were others more egregious I'm sure) that they "hazed" their pledges by making them study at the library for 2 hours as a group. Per the university, this was hazing due to other brothers not being required to do this....
That would be funny if true. I have said this before, but fraternity hazing is borrowed from various groups such as the masons and the military. Ideally, the goal is to encourage teamwork and a bond among the pledges which will make them better brothers. The tragedies occur because you have 20ish kids running the show.

Not defending hazing because I thought it was stupid when I did it, but it is not innately evil either. Tragedies occur during military training also--I can't believe what SEALS go through, which is not just training but there is an element of hazing to prove you belong mentally and physically. When a SEAL graduates, he refers to his "brothers" and how he would do anything for them and they would do anything for him. I know, this is an awful analogy, but a lot of groups beside fraternities use this line of thinking.

Again. I am not defending anyone for this tragedy. However, the original story created a really evil and malicious storyline instead of just a bunch of stupid kids doing stupid kid things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT