ADVERTISEMENT

Death Threat to PSU Beta Members

Sorry, I missed that in the presentment. I do remember seeing that two other members mentioned calling 911. The only reason they aren't talked about in the media craze is because none of the brothers pushed them away and told them to shut up like the guy being protected by the DA.

If I'm the defense, I want video of when the brothers held him down and poured vodka down his mouth.
He was underage and the frat brothers provided the alcohol. Because of that, they are on the hook for what happened.

Older folks can definitely benefit from one floor living. Older drunks even more so.

Or put these in frats:

Bruno%20elan.jpg

Aren't hazing laws sort of like hate crime laws - covering unlawful acts that were already covered under the elebenty billion laws we already have?

Reactions: bjf1991
Aren't hazing laws sort of like hate crime laws - covering unlawful acts that were already covered under the elebenty billion laws we already have?

Hazing laws have been put in place because of the number of college students that have been killed or injured as a result of things that they were required to do in order to become a member of some group or club. It is in recognition of the heavy social pressure that initiates feel to comply with the behaviors required to join the group. Although many of these deaths resulted from fraternity hazing, fraternities are not the only type of organization that hazes. A young man was killed at Florida A&M university a few years ago after a hazing ritual to join the band that involves physical abuse.

If the Beta brothers had complied with the hazing laws they would not find themselves in the predicament that they are now in.

Hazing laws have been put in place because of the number of college students that have been killed or injured as a result of things that they were required to do in order to become a member of some group or club. It is in recognition of the heavy social pressure that initiates feel to comply with the behaviors required to join the group. Although many of these deaths resulted from fraternity hazing, fraternities are not the only type of organization that hazes. A young man was killed at Florida A&M university a few years ago after a hazing ritual to join the band that involves physical abuse.

If the Beta brothers had complied with the hazing laws they would not find themselves in the predicament that they are now in.
And let's be honest, if Piazza went to the party and refused to go through the Gauntlet, does anyone think that would have been acceptable to the frat? Hell no. That's the essence of the hazing law. Saying that the pledges were not forced to drink is absolutely ridiculous.

According to this definition psu weight training staff is hazing the players.
Any action or situation which recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student.

So please tell me how a certified strength coach along with a certified medical or training staff present for workouts are recklessly or intentionally endangering the health of players?

Reactions: getmyjive11
Any action or situation which recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student.

So please tell me how a certified strength coach along with a certified medical or training staff present for workouts are recklessly or intentionally endangering the health of players?
Some of these the excuses ITT are amazing. Not surpring, but amazing.

And let's be honest, if Piazza went to the party and refused to go through the Gauntlet, does anyone think that would have been acceptable to the frat? Hell no. That's the essence of the hazing law. Saying that the pledges were not forced to drink is absolutely ridiculous.
But that didn't happen. He did go to the party, knowing that there was going to be drinking, and he did participate. What would have happened if he refused to drink? Not sure, but I'm also not sure that the frat wouldn't have accommodated him in some way--perhaps he would have been doing quite a few pushups.

Reactions: jaylobi
But that didn't happen. He did go to the party, knowing that there was going to be drinking, and he did participate. What would have happened if he refused to drink? Not sure, but I'm also not sure that the frat wouldn't have accommodated him in some way--perhaps he would have been doing quite a few pushups.
The drinking event was allegedly part of the initiation of underage pledges. I understand the culture of college where that is accepted and commonplace, but how is that okay in the eyes of the law? If you willingly provide alcohol to minors and something bad happens, you are responsible. It doesn't matter if you "forced" them to drink or not (and I would argue that this is forcing them to drink).

If you willingly provide alcohol to minors and something bad happens, you are responsible. It doesn't matter if you "forced" them to drink or not (and I would argue that this is forcing them to drink).

Certainly you are at risk for some consequences. But, I have to ask, do you actually know anything about "the law", or are you just talking out your ass?

Reactions: humpydudas19
Certainly you are at risk for some consequences. But, I have to ask, do you actually know anything about "the law", or are you just talking out your ass?
People have been changed and convicted of involuntary manslaughter for the deaths of minors that they provided alcohol for.

What, you think that can't happen?

Google the name "Ted Agu."

Reactions: bjf1991
People have been changed and convicted of involuntary manslaughter for the deaths of minors that they provided alcohol for.
That's a little different than what you said before. BTW, Tim piazza wasn't a minor. In the eyes of the law, he was a grown-ass adult.

That's a little different than what you said before. BTW, Tim piazza wasn't a minor. In the eyes of the law, he was a grown-ass adult.
Piazza was under 21 - so the frat providing him with alcohol underage would be analogous, regardless of whether or not he was over 18. "Minor" in the alcohol context typically refers to anyone under the legal drinking age.

What, you think that can't happen?

Google the name "Ted Agu."
Did I say it can't happen? It has happened at other places but that doesn't mean Penn State coaches are hazing players every day according to PA law. There are protocol that Penn State coaches and medical staff follow to prevent it. The original post was imply Penn State training is hazing. Unless he is aware of something more then just physical training it is not hazing according to PA law.

Piazza was under 21 - so the frat providing him with alcohol underage would be analogous, regardless of whether or not he was over 18. "Minor" in the alcohol context typically refers to anyone under the legal drinking age.
Generally, adults are responsible for their voluntary decisions, but minors may not be. Putting aside issues of coercion, an adult who decides to drink should be responsible for his decision, just like someone who takes illegal drugs is responsible.

Generally, adults are responsible for their voluntary decisions, but minors may not be. Putting aside issues of coercion, an adult who decides to drink should be responsible for his decision, just like someone who takes illegal drugs is responsible.

To all the Beta defenders:

What level of culpability do you assign to these men? You keep complaining that they have been "overcharged". Which charges are warranted and which are unwarranted? I am not condoning SPM grandstanding and the Piazza family media tour both of which I think are inappropriate; however, based on what we know so far I am not aware of any of these charges that are not warranted.

What level of culpability do you assign to these men? You keep complaining that they have been "overcharged". Which charges are warranted and which are unwarranted? I am not condoning SPM grandstanding and the Piazza family media tour both of which I think are inappropriate; however, based on what we know so far I am not aware of any of these charges that are not warranted.
You probably also believe the "anal rape" myth.

Reactions: humpydudas19
A video that the prosecution has edited. How is that more reliable than the testimony of Mike mcqueary? Everyone believed Mike. He's a millionaire.
We'll have to see what the forensic investigators find -whether this SPM gal and her crew made minor, conforming edits or more nefarious edits to frame her case.

You can never overestimate the corruption inherent in public bodies in the Commonwealth - that's for certain.

Reactions: marshall23
We'll have to see what the forensic investigators find -whether this SPM gal and her crew made minor, conforming edits or more nefarious edits to frame her case.

You can never overestimate the corruption inherent in public bodies in the Commonwealth - that's for certain.
She seems like a particularly bad piece of rubbish. You can bet she removed every possible exculpatory bit of video.

She seems like a particularly bad piece of rubbish. You can bet she removed every possible exculpatory bit of video.
Like the parts where they called 911 when they should have, the parts where they didn't delete their text messages, the parts where they didn't ignore him after falling down the stairs? :rolleyes:

I would love to know what you think they could possibly have done to excuse their actions (or lack there of).

I would love to know what you think they could possibly have done to excuse their actions (or lack there of).
You mean what could overcome the charges? For starters, evidence that he was tripped down the stairs, consumed alcohol on his own , or continued partying after he fell the first time.

Unlike those on here that are holier than thou, I don't hold the frat boys guilty of providing alcohol to an underage student. We all asked someone to get us alcohol before we were 21. I do hold their lack of action reprehensible and should be held accountable.

I can tell by the crazy in the prosecutors eyes.

Again you fail to answer the question. You did not list one charge that you can make a cogent argument for how said charge was unreasonable or excessive given the known facts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT