ADVERTISEMENT

Developing wrestlers

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
(*Mod - the first few posts below were moved here from the Jax thread)

As far as developing wrestlers: PSU is second to none. Who would you guys ranked, staff wise developing wrestlers
Top 5

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as developing wrestlers: PSU is second to none. Who would you guys ranked, staff wise developing wrestlers
Top 5
The core of Cael's first 4peat minus DT were guys he inherited

Frank Molinaro - Sunderland recruit
Quentin Wright - Sunderland recruit
Ed Ruth - Sunderland recruit who didn't know who Cael was

All really talented recruits obviously but guys Cael figured out how to get the best of.

All really talented recruits obviously but guys Cael figured out how to get the best of.
And I’m sure those 4 guys are more than thankful that cael came and made them who they are. Doubt they would have reached the top of the podium without him.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
And I’m sure those 4 guys are more than thankful that cael came and made them who they are. Doubt they would have reached the top of the podium without him.
I think Ed would have had success at many schools. Maybe not a three-timer, but a guy as gifted as him would have found a way to win at least one.

Reactions: hlstone

I suspect there's a bit of urban legend/tale telling involved here. (Not pointing the finger at McScoreley.)

Cael recruited Ed while at Iowa State. Perhaps Ed didn't know who Cael was before then. But he would've when Cael arrived at PSU.

(*Mod - the first few posts below were moved here from the Jax thread)

Top 5
The answer is probably just a matter of listing the top 5 head coaches in terms of All-Americans in the past however many years -- 5 years, 10 years, or max since 2010. Normalize by # years, to capture some coaching changes in the middle of the data set (such as Zeke at ASU and Robie at VT).

Obviously there's a recruiting impact too, but that's really hard to decouple, and lots of top recruits don't make the podium.

I suspect there's a bit of urban legend/tale telling involved here. (Not pointing the finger at McScoreley.)

Cael recruited Ed while at Iowa State. Perhaps Ed didn't know who Cael was before then. But he would've when Cael arrived at PSU.
I think there is a Flo video or something showing Ed saying "this guy just just shows up in the room and just starts killing me" quote is no were near exact but yeah something like that.

Willie can give a better take than me on this, but I don’t remember Ed being regarded as a superstar recruit prior to his senior season. Really good recruit, yes; but, not viewed as a potential all time great. Although he won NHSCA sophomore and junior nationals, Ed placed 5th at PIAAs as both a sophomore and junior. DNP at Fargo freestyle after his sophomore year. Actually lost to rising junior Mike Evans and won a tight match (something like 1-1, 3-3, 2-2) against Kolb at freestyle states after his junior year (did not wrestle at Fargo). But Ed beat #1 Chris Phillips at Ironman at beginning of senior season, had a dominant year at Blair, and beat highly ranked Ethan Lofthouse in finals at NHSCA Senior Nationals, which upped his stock. But there were still questions about upside/work ethic.

Ed may have been ranked in the 30s out of all seniors by Intermat. At that time, ISU had Jon Reader as their 174 so it’s not unreasonable to think that ISU didn’t recruit him hard. (Mizzou was more interested in Evans at that time.) Ed never struck me as a big fan of the sport so it doesn’t surprise me that he might not have known much about Cael prior to Cael being hired by PSU.

But Ed and PSU staff/team seemed to be a great fit. Can’t imagine him developing as well as he did anywhere else. Glad he was a Nittany Lion!

Willie can give a better take than me on this, but I don’t remember Ed being regarded as a superstar recruit prior to his senior season. Really good recruit, yes; but, not viewed as a potential all time great. Although he won NHSCA sophomore and junior nationals, Ed placed 5th at PIAAs as both a sophomore and junior. DNP at Fargo freestyle after his sophomore year. Actually lost to rising junior Mike Evans and won a tight match (something like 1-1, 3-3, 2-2) against Kolb at freestyle states after his junior year (did not wrestle at Fargo). But Ed beat #1 Chris Phillips at Ironman at beginning of senior season, had a dominant year at Blair, and beat highly ranked Ethan Lofthouse in finals at NHSCA Senior Nationals, which upped his stock. But there were still questions about upside/work ethic.

Ed may have been ranked in the 30s out of all seniors by Intermat. At that time, ISU had Jon Reader as their 174 so it’s not unreasonable to think that ISU didn’t recruit him hard. (Mizzou was more interested in Evans at that time.) Ed never struck me as a big fan of the sport so it doesn’t surprise me that he might not have known much about Cael prior to Cael being hired by PSU.

But Ed and PSU staff/team seemed to be a great fit. Can’t imagine him developing as well as he did anywhere else. Glad he was a Nittany Lion!
Ruth seemed like a kid that after 1 practice was beating everyone he wrestled,well minus Quentin!

I remember an interview with Ed asking about his plans for senior year. Ed says "I want to beat Casey in the room at least once before I leave". <==Not an exact quote, but pretty darn close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT