ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz complains about Referines (link)

While you may hang on FOX' every word when it supports your rants I couldn't care less. You blatantly did not answer the question about who gets the calls in "the game". I'll just assume that it was beyond your capabilities. As Clint would say, "a man's gotta know his limitations".

Only thing I've seen so far that is consistent in the whole discussion is your bitching and moaning about the whole landscape is tilted against poor PSU. When you can't find a way to win, always use an excuse.

That's a game that will be called fairly. If there is any bias it will go towards the home team. The refs need to make it back to their hotel.

So in this grand conspiracy that has the corrupt officials essentially paving the way for OSU and UM, who do they side with for "the game"? Coin flip? Better potential for conference success?

If you can't win you can always find blame somewhere else. That is one thing WE ARE good at.
Why do you find it hard to believe that there is bias and favoritism in officiating. It exists in life. People are human beings and are subject to pressure, both external and internal. However I believe that often it’s not intentional, just unintentionally following what in their perception should be the end result. That’s the best way I can explain it. But it happens more often than it should. Not just to PSU, but to multiple teams across conferences. Especially late in tightly contested games. At least in my opinion, you may reasonably have a different one.

However to honestly answer your question. When on the rare instances it does occur it’s out of either petty malice, or more often to ensure a conference placement in playoffs. On a lighter note. I would imagine who to favor in”The Game” maybe emotionally nerve racking for an official or two.

Why do you find it hard to believe that there is bias and favoritism in officiating. It exists in life. People are human beings and are subject to pressure, both external and internal. However I believe that often it’s not intentional, just unintentionally following what in their perception should be the end result. That’s the best way I can explain it. But it happens more often than it should. Not just to PSU, but to multiple teams across conferences. Especially late in tightly contested games. At least in my opinion, you may reasonably have a different one.

However to honestly answer your question. When on the rare instances it does occur it’s out of either petty malice, or more often to ensure a conference placement in playoffs. On a lighter note. I would imagine who to favor in”The Game” maybe emotionally nerve racking for an official or two.

Here's a good example LINK. Note, you have two separate Judges who have plead guilty to election fraud and bribery - let me guess, football officials are thought to have more "supposed" integrity and impartiality than State and Federal Judges???

Here's a good example LINK. Note, you have two separate Judges who have plead guilty to election fraud and bribery - let me guess, football officials are thought to have more "supposed" integrity and impartiality than State and Federal Judges???
If you ever want to see a perfect example of how officials intentionally made calls to favor one team, go back and watch the 2007 Pitt-WVU game. That was the game in which WVU was the second ranked team in the country and all they had to do was beat 4-7 Pitt to play for the national championship. The officials spent the whole game making calls to help WVU win, which they amazingly didn’t.

I very seldom blame the officials for losses, and usually PSU is one of the least penalized teams in the Big 10. However, it would be naive to believe that PSU wasn’t affected by biased officiating in this conference until replay came into existence. Since then, it’s gotten better because at least the objective mistaken calls can be corrected.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

If anyone thinks there’s no bias in officiating, watch Untold: Operation Flagrant Foul on Netflix. Officials know if they want to excel, there are certain teams and players you don’t make as many calls against. Also, every person has biases for or against certain teams and that comes into play when they’re officiating. Maybe not blatantly, but certainly subconsciously. It’s funny that Witvoet was accused of favoring UM and then we find out he has a whole room in his house dedicated to UM. That would be like me officiating PSU games. I wouldn’t cheat outright, but I’m sure I would see certain plays differently than fans of the team they’re playing .

If you ever want to see a perfect example of how officials intentionally made calls to favor one team, go back and watch the 2007 Pitt-WVU game. That was the game in which WVU was the second ranked team in the country and all they had to do was beat 4-7 Pitt to play for the national championship. The officials spent the whole game making calls to help WVU win, which they amazingly didn’t.

I very seldom blame the officials for losses, and usually PSU is one of the least penalized teams in the Big 10. However, it would be naive to believe that PSU wasn’t affected by biased officiating in this conference until replay came into existence. Since then, it’s gotten better because at least the objective mistaken calls can be corrected.

Avantes "toe-heel" clearly OB "catch" (which was actually very clearly an incompletion on video) was not reviewed by the b1g cheaters despite the Replay Rule being in place and all such plays under 2 minutes supposedly being subjected to Mandatory Review under the rule. That was PSU's only loss that year and almost certainly cost us a shot at an MNC that year. How do you explain that one?

Of course one of the most flagrant happened against OSU in our own stadium. Field goal permitted well after time had run out. Officials stopping the clock for OSU. Ball hits ground and somehow the official replay feed was not available despite replay showing on the stadium screen.

There were other truly bizarre calls. One was a call against us at the line defending a punt. Can't remember the specifics, but it was like a once in a century type of event.

Just truly amazing. I see our administrators as total wimps to let that stuff go without a serious protest.

We should have stayed independent. Hasn't hurt Notre Dame any. In fact it has worked to their advantage. Now we play these games in boring midwest locations that are not particularly attractive for alumni travel.

Of course one of the most flagrant happened against OSU in our own stadium. Field goal permitted well after time had run out. Officials stopping the clock for OSU. Ball hits ground and somehow the official replay feed was not available despite replay showing on the stadium screen.

There were other truly bizarre calls. One was a call against us at the line defending a punt. Can't remember the specifics, but it was like a once in a century type of event.

Just truly amazing. I see our administrators as total wimps to let that stuff go without a serious protest.

We should have stayed independent. Hasn't hurt Notre Dame any. In fact it has worked to their advantage. Now we play these games in boring midwest locations that are not particularly attractive for alumni travel.
Hartsock dropped catch, the TD called a fumble at the goal line vs Nebraska when we were considered pariahs in the college football world.

Hartsock dropped catch, the TD called a fumble at the goal line vs Nebraska when we were considered pariahs in the college football world.

Yep. It's not just what seems to be bias. It's the stuff clear as day on film that is inexplicable.

The Conspiracy LIVES!!!

310325778_10159191625393869_4671840445186036150_n.jpg

Last edited:

Yup. You could be looking forward to visits to Pitt, West Virginia, Syracuse, UConn and Rutgers as an indie. Beautiful and fascinating locations!

Last edited:
Reactions: wilbury
Definitely need more coaches and admins willing to go on record about the officiating bias.

Yes, other conferences do it. Alabama got help from SEC officials this year to narrowly escape Texas and SEC officials will protect Alabama, Georgia, and now Tennessee and Ole Miss if they can against upsets by teams with a few losses. But they often wait until a few teams shake out before protecting them. Maybe it's LSU getting help next year if they start off hot.

In the Big 10 they don't wait until it shakes out. 4-0 Michigan by many accounts was wrongly gifted 2 turnovers against 4-0 Maryland in a 1 score game. Was Maryland good enough to win in Ann arbor without referines? Maybe. But the bias is always towards 2 schools in the big 10 even before last year when Michigan perennially finished 3rd in our division. They still got help.

So yes, call them out. Hopefully some egregious calls are made this week and highlight the for Michigan bias so perhaps they are less bold in their bias in 2 weeks. But I doubt Michigan will need help against Indiana so they may call that straight up.

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24

That game convinced me that game fixing was a thing. I do not know why I thought it was not before. Maybe naïveté? FBI agents, judges, boards of directors, school boards etc have all been corrupted as our society declines. Why I believed that sports officials were above reproach is mind boggling.

I was at that game on the 40 yard line. O’Neil did not “miss” that call. What are the chances the replay technology malfunctioned at the same time as a call was deliberately blown? And in the same game a referee called a timeout for Urban Meyer and “missed” the play clock going to zero on a FG attempt?

If bias and corruption are not confronted they metastasize. The ship sailed on confronting it long ago.

That game convinced me that game fixing was a thing. I do not know why I thought it was not before. Maybe naïveté? FBI agents, judges, boards of directors, school boards etc have all been corrupted as our society declines. Why I believed that sports officials were above reproach is mind boggling.

I was at that game on the 40 yard line. O’Neil did not “miss” that call. What are the chances the replay technology malfunctioned at the same time as a call was deliberately blown? And in the same game a referee called a timeout for Urban Meyer and “missed” the play clock going to zero on a FG attempt?

If bias and corruption are not confronted they metastasize. The ship sailed on confronting it long ago.
Yes sadly people mostly go along with it. Referines have even gotten better at it where they can make calls that are impactful at critical juncture erasing or sustaining big plays that don't show in the stats. Then can even it out in the stats with other calls that weren't impactful but make the penalty stats look more even.

Unfortunately we live in an era where more and more, the biggest winners in both sport and life are chosen by the governing bodies. Someone mentioned congress trading on inside info but it goes well beyond that. When they sign trillion dollar bills, they are chosing who gets our tax dollars and often there are nice slices for themselves and their families and friends.

And they spent over 6 trillion in 2021 while bringing in only 4 trillion. So you and I are going to have to pony up more in the future. If you have kids and grandkids, pray for them because that trend does not end well. I suppose they believe they can inflate their way out of this drunken sailor spending spree but that hurts Americans as well. But we don't get to throw the flags on the play.

When stuff like that happens, maybe the opposing coach just should pull the plug and take his team off of the field to make a point. Nothing is going to change as long you play the lamb being led to the slaughter. I often thought that Paterno should have done that when it was really bad in the early 2000s.

Considering Ferentz's tenure as a Big 10 head coach and the fact that the calls in that game were so egregious regarding his team, maybe he should have pulled his team instead of playing along with this garbage. I know that that's unrealistic, so it's probably never going to change.

It's all about the $$$ and gravy train has been good to administrators and coaches at places like Penn State and Iowa. Sure, they'd really like to win those games and have them fairly refereed, but they don't want to go so far as to tip the apple cart. If a guy with the history and experience of Ferentz, won't pound the table hard, then nobody will. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that Iowa was on the cover of SI related to racial discrimination on his team. If the big ten wants to make him and his son go away, they can surly make that happen. Until someone actually calls out the 2 team bias in this league, by name, nothing will ever change and the fat cats can keep getting richer. Franklin and Ferentz apparently don't need to win games against Michigan and OSU to secure $85MM extensions, so why bother?

It's all about the $$$ and gravy train has been good to administrators and coaches at places like Penn State and Iowa. Sure, they'd really like to win those games and have them fairly refereed, but they don't want to go so far as to tip the apple cart. If a guy with the history and experience of Ferentz, won't pound the table hard, then nobody will. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that Iowa was on the cover of SI related to racial discrimination on his team. If the big ten wants to make him and his son go away, they can surly make that happen. Until someone actually calls out the 2 team bias in this league, by name, nothing will ever change and the fat cats can keep getting richer. Franklin and Ferentz apparently don't need to win games against Michigan and OSU to secure $85MM extensions, so why bother?
Geez break out the tin foil hat. Bad calls happen in football. Hard to believe the big 10 is involved in a plot to bring down the Iowa coaching staff.

Geez break out the tin foil hat. Bad calls happen in football. Hard to believe the big 10 is involved in a plot to bring down the Iowa coaching staff.
It's a big powerful rich entity. Nobody really steps out of line it seems. The OSU game referenced above was a good reason to throw a table and we didn't.

I missed it, did Ferrentz’s son coach two 1st Team All Big10 QBs - one who won Offensive MVP? Didn’t think so.
Good old JayPa - boy genius. Had a true offensive mind Galen Hall (SEC coach of the year and Barry Switzer’s OC during their glory years) babysitting him.

Maybe Kirk can hire someone competent to prop up his dipshit son too

Matt McGloin - who many people on here inexplicably hate - was the only one with actual guts to call the cheating out

Didn't read the Iowa article, but watched a lot of the game, those were some damn bad calls. Also, Iowa was down 20-7 and had the ball in a 4th and goal or 4th and short inside the 7 when the flag immediately came out during the play. Petras ended up throwing a horrendous pass to a wide open WR so it didn't matter, but there was no way Iowa was getting that TD.

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
The two seconds on the clock game at Michigan. I don't think we were really good enough to win an NC, but it would have meant going undefeated in the regular season.
And we would have had a good chance of getting into, if not winning, the national championship game that year.

Pretty much nobody outside of PSU fans thought we were good enough to win a NC in 1986, I bet. That's why they play the game.

When stuff like that happens, maybe the opposing coach just should pull the plug and take his team off of the field to make a point. Nothing is going to change as long you play the lamb being led to the slaughter. I often thought that Paterno should have done that when it was really bad in the early 2000s.

Considering Ferentz's tenure as a Big 10 head coach and the fact that the calls in that game were so egregious regarding his team, maybe he should have pulled his team instead of playing along with this garbage. I know that that's unrealistic, so it's probably never going to change.
I agree…pulling a team needs to happen - put the spotlight on the crookedness. It would be the talk of the sports world. Would require done real guts.

It might not help...BUT it might...Ferentz at least shined a spotlight on it BEFORE we play them...that's why I said it MAY help. The other thing that helps is that PSU is ALSO unbeaten going in, so the protection factor TECHNICALLY goes both ways...this all said were still getting screwed probably once per quarter so we will have to handle that too...

It might not help...BUT it might...Ferentz at least shined a spotlight on it BEFORE we play them...that's why I said it MAY help. The other thing that helps is that PSU is ALSO unbeaten going in, so the protection factor TECHNICALLY goes both ways...this all said were still getting screwed probably once per quarter so we will have to handle that too...

Wish I could see it that way, but there are two key headwinds:

1) OSU and Michigan are the conference darlings. PSU was not wanted by many in the conference..
2) OSU plays Michigan in the last game of the season. It will generate the interest of a playoff game.

If PSU beats Michigan it deflates THE GAME. Expect shenanigans when we play Michigan and OSU.

Other conferences protect the best teams so that they go to even higher bowls so that the conference earns more money and respect.

The Big 10 will protect Michigan and Ohio St regardless of record. They were screwing teams playing those two in years when they weren't the best teams. They apparently awarded Michigan 2 turnovers that should not have been against undefeated Maryland just 2 weeks ago in a one score game. Then followed that up by shafting Iowa against Michigan last week. It has nothing to do with Iowa's staff. They are shameless.

If Indiana magically plays well enough to win against Michigan this week or looks like they will, the referines will step in again. And they don't care that PSU is 5-0. It's Michigan.

Seriously? First, I can't stand Notre Dame and root against them in most of their games but the reason they can get away with being independent is because they have the largest NATIONAL (outside their state and region) following - period. Alabama, OSU, Georgia and yes, even PSU is nowhere close as most of those schools' fans and support come from within their states and region

Reactions: ND Heaven68

If bias and corruption are not confronted they metastasize. The ship sailed on confronting it l
I do not know how to post a picture from my computer, so I changed my avatar to the 2003 PSU vs OS game where on I believe 3rd down and 15 late in the fourth quarter these two refs called it a catch for a 1st down. Mind you they are both looking right at the play. OS scored on this drive to win 21-20. It has been going on a long time

I do not know how to post a picture from my computer, so I changed my avatar to the 2003 PSU vs OS game where on I believe 3rd down and 15 late in the fourth quarter these two refs called it a catch for a 1st down. Mind you they are both looking right at the play. OS scored on this drive to win 21-20. It has been going on a long time
Hartsock admitted on SiriusXM this morning that it was not a catch. He said that he short hopped it.

Wish I could see it that way, but there are two key headwinds:

1) OSU and Michigan are the conference darlings. PSU was not wanted by many in the conference..
2) OSU plays Michigan in the last game of the season. It will generate the interest of a playoff game.

If PSU beats Michigan it deflates THE GAME. Expect shenanigans when we play Michigan and OSU.
You can take that to the bank!

Michigan the least penalized team in the country at 2.8 penalties per game. Today vs Indiana they have 5 penalties for 54 yds., in the 1st half.
Are the BIG refs just getting the calls out of the way for next week when they won't call any?

Michigan the least penalized team in the country at 2.8 penalties per game. Today vs Indiana they have 5 penalties for 54 yds., in the 1st half.
Are the BIG refs just getting the calls out of the way for next week when they won't call any?
They have actually called more consequential penalties against Indiana. Heck, one of the calls took an Indiana TD off the board and was made way late after consulting the Michigan sideline then the flag was thrown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT