ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin presser

To be clear, now we're saying the media shouldn't ask questions that they have a right to?
I don't understand how anyone is blaming the media for this
If this happened at Georgia you'd be screaming about how Kirby has to explain how he let this happen
Do you agree that Harbaugh shouldn't have ever acknowledged any wrongdoing and no one should have asked him about the cheating since he said they weren't addressing it?
That's the media's job--we all know Franklin will be criticized nationally for it
All I wish is that he didn't cower in a corner for someone else to read the statement.
Obviously he was told not to comment on it. What’s so hard to understand about that. Once they were told all questions on it would be answered by them why did they ask Franklin again. Press has right to ask questions but they were instructed coach was not the person to answer them

Subliminally, he did. And in a more effective manner.

Subliminally, he said “If you idiots want to waste my time and everyone else’s time by asking stupid questions that have already been addressed in plain English by someone in authority over me, have at it. You can listen to the statement read over and over and over for a full ten minutes if you want and then I’m out of here. I have work to do.”
Completely disagree

It appeared scripted. It didn’t give me the vibe that he decided he would walk off stage. It appeared to me that JF was told exactly what to do if a question was asked and he did exactly as told.
Then people need fired that thought that would be well received or productive

Obviously he was told not to comment on it. What’s so hard to understand about that. Once they were told all questions on it would be answered by them why did they ask Franklin again. Press has right to ask questions but they were instructed coach was not the person to answer them
No one us struggling with that. The issue is he didn't answer it. That comes across as weak. There's absolutely no reason he can't say "please refer to our statement" and move on. It's another example of how Penn State mishandles everything with the media. It's like they actively try to create a negative narrative

Talk about awkward…..

Honestly, it strikes me as almost funny how he comes back to the podium a couple times with "Hi, guys!"

It's totally standard practice for the coach to not be at liberty to comment on what is obviously an ongoing criminal investigation.

It appears that the school decided to accentuate that point by having Franklin step away from the podium so some flunky could give the obvious canned answer to the media jackals.

As for the case itself, it's unfortunate that two guys chose to ruin their lives that way...and doubly unfortunate for the alleged victim...but the university handled the whole thing swiftly...and correctly.

Wisconsin...Wisconsin...Wisconsin.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Absolutely.

What is there to say? These two adults went off and, allegedly, drugged and raped a woman. Hundreds of kids come through the program and graduate. The school gives them every opportunity with millions in resources to become young men. A few don't. The quicker the program moves on the better.
The last thing Franklin wants to do is start to attempt to answer questions about this. He would be just going down a never ending rabbit hole. The media would never stop and then start twisting his answers and drawing false conclusions. Also if he made any comments it would get plastered all over ESPN, etc and volleyed about by every talking head coast to coast. Horrible PR. It is a legal matter. The two accused are no longer affiliated with the Penn State football program nor the university.

He backed away into a corner both times, yes or no?
The Unviersity did read a statement, something he's fully capable of doing or saying "please refer to the statement, next question"
They asked 2 questions--that's reasonable--the second one was literally about when they knew it would impact their playing time this year--good smart questions.

Again, did Franklin back away from the table to a corner and had someone else speak? That's going to be the takeaway--fair or not
He walked away to the side off camera. "Cowering in the corner". LOL. C'mon man. That is the take everyone will have? Really that is what you think. I can just hear on Sportscenter as they report about this and say "when asked about the situation, coach James Franklin went and cowered in the corner".

The media can ask anything they want. That is their job. I don't have a problem with that. Why don't they ask him..."Coach, you get paid almost $10 million a year, do you think with that salary you should beat Ohio State more than once every ten years?" LOL.

In fine with the head coach not addressing it, sometimes Franklin can be too literal and thin skinned, the walking off the podium seemed sort of petulant and insensitive. He could have simply said "i won't discuss ongoing legal matters" and optics would have been fine. Him shuffling off just looks unprofessional to me. Just my .02

The only thing I dislike is Franklin stepping away and having someone else read it--that's a real bad look
Exactly. All he needed to do was refer to the official statement. No need for further comment. He just made the story about him and his perceived inability to comment on alleged rape. Bad PR advice.

Subliminally, he did. And in a more effective manner.

Subliminally, he said “If you idiots want to waste my time and everyone else’s time by asking stupid questions that have already been addressed in plain English by someone in authority over me, have at it. You can listen to the statement read over and over and over for a full ten minutes if you want and then I’m out of here. I have work to do.”
Now THAT would have been even more awkward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT