ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin presser

Right. If you talk, they parse every word and make a big deal out of your word usage. If you don't, they make a big deal that you don't talk.

I mean, if a coach came out and said "it is a bad situation. The kid has been accused of doing something off campus, apart from the team, and was dismissed." They will say the team was heartless and his lawyer will sue the school for not doing enough to help him and keep him out of trouble. If PSU says that they are doing everything they can to help him, the victim's family will sue.

You do what PSU did. You say we are aware of the situation and will have no further comment.
There is a accepted process for this these days from tiny organizations all the way up through Governmental leadership. Having Franklin, considering his position at the university, be the one to say that succinctly, would be immeasurably better than the dancing off stage right.

Reactions: psu00
Again, if Franklin simply says, "We're unable to discuss that please refer to the statement" there's no story--there's a story because he wouldn't even speak. He walked to a corner both times refusing to say a word--that become a story
Exactly. Sometimes it's okay to not feed the trolls.

There is a accepted process for this these days from tiny organizations all the way up through Governmental leadership. Having Franklin, considering his position at the university, be the one to say that succinctly, would be immeasurably better than the dancing off stage right.
He did. they chose to not show it.

He did. they chose to not show it.
Then keep pushing back! He's not a snowflake. He is compensated very well and he doesn't need some little insubordinate to fight his fight. I'm done, we could all argue about this all night, I thought he came across as weak and wholly unaccountable. He recruited the players, I don't blame him for their criminal acts, but if you are the leader of the program you can at least spar with the media a little. He's always been thin skinned and pavloved the PSU beat into weak little questions in his media scrums...."hey, how are you james" It's just weak to walk off and have some young team pr kid to keep banging the statement.

Ok, I can see that. It does seem overly orchestrated and unnecessary. I agree he should have just said no comment but someone probably told him to do it that way. Bad advice. He did not "cower in the corner", though, as Lando suggests.
I am Cowering in the corner for agreeing with Lando.

I am Cowering in the corner for agreeing with Lando.
Everyone eventually sees the light and agrees with me lol
I'm not even criticizing Franklin. I'm criticizing the PR group that came up with this idiotic approach. I'm just tired of us handling every issue that should be a nonstory so horribly wrong it gets blown out of proportion.

Everyone eventually sees the light and agrees with me lol
I'm not even criticizing Franklin. I'm criticizing the PR group that came up with this idiotic approach. I'm just tired of us handling every issue that should be a nonstory so horribly wrong it gets blown out of proportion.
Precisely what happened here and how I feel exactly.

Reactions: LandoComando
Then keep pushing back! He's not a snowflake. He is compensated very well and he doesn't need some little insubordinate to fight his fight. I'm done, we could all argue about this all night, I thought he came across as weak and wholly unaccountable. He recruited the players, I don't blame him for their criminal acts, but if you are the leader of the program you can at least spar with the media a little. He's always been thin skinned and pavloved the PSU beat into weak little questions in his media scrums...."hey, how are you james" It's just weak to walk off and have some young team pr kid to keep banging the statement.
Really bad take. There is no way Penn State legal counsel was going to let him “spar with the media a little” on this. They were protecting him and the University by not letting him speak. You follow the advice of your legal counsel.

I don't disagree about the journalists, I do disagree that it's a "nothing burger." Its a feature story on ESPIN and has subjected PSU and Franklin to a ton of ridicule on social media. "Who cares what they think?" Fine if that the prevailing opinion here, but I don't share it. Franklin has had more that a few of these moments and it continues to feed the trolls. Just get up there, say the university dealt with this swiftly and he will not have any more comment on a pending legal matter. Its not complicated, but I'm certain we have the worst PR advisors in the country, it was fully on display during the Sandusky scandal and nothing has changed.

Ram, I think you make a valid point and make it well as usual, but at the end of the day, I still think this qualifies as a non-story. In fact, it will be history by tomorrow though of course the case itself won't be...nor should it be.

I saw an ESPN piece -- not sure if it's the one you're referring to -- and the focus was Franklin's declining to comment and the facts of the police case. There was mention of the flunky coming out twice to address the reporters' questions but nothing much seemed to be made of that in the write-up.

In other words, the thrust of the item was not the flunky's role at all. Meanwhile, we both agree that there was never any way in hell that Franklin could have or should have commented on the former players or the case against them. I mean, they're long gone from both the team and the university.

As for social media, we all know it's a sewer. Franklin could have stood on his head and levitated to the ceiling. It wouldn't matter. The same people would say the same things regardless.

In sum, I tend to agree with you that it would have been better for Franklin to simply have given the necessary canned answer to the predictable question. Stepping away from the podium was an unnecessarily odd look. But I just don't think it matters much though I respect your opposing view of the question.

he did. he referred them to the spokesperson, as the school (his boss) told him to do. When they keep asking the same question you keep referring them to the comms director. He had no choice but to do what he was told to do.

Now, you may feel PSU was wrong. OK. But again, what are you supposed to say?

"The kids are rat bastards." Well, that would be considered callous and demeaning to them as well as assuming they are guilty. Then they could sue the university for slander should they get off or, even if they don't, that you influenced the jury pool.

"The kids are nice kids who did a dumb thing." That would be considered to be callous to the alleged victim and trying to influence other victims who are hesitant to come forward.

You can't win. You simply say that the university released a statement and there will be no other comment. That is exactly what they did before the clip and after the media edited the clip to get more clicks.

Reactions: doctornick
….. Its not complicated, but I'm certain we have the worst PR advisors in the country, it was fully on display during the Sandusky scandal and nothing has changed.

Honestly, I often do wonder if they are so isolated up there in their own little kingdom that they get blindsided by reality at times.

From the BoT who are controlled by only a few people with the rest just there to vote yes on everything, to Old Main and their media/PR folks who are very insular- they all live in an echo chamber. They’re the big fish in the little pond who are used to always getting their way.

Then issues like JS hit or an awkward press conference like yesterday and they get indignant and wrong footed when there’s push back.

They really need new blood from the BoT on down but they’ve created an insular atmosphere to prevent that. It would take the governor and legislature in Harrisburg to break that monopoly but they’re too busy running for higher office than to oversee issues with the state university. It’s so frustrating at times.

Reactions: ram2020
Really bad take. There is no way Penn State legal counsel was going to let him “spar with the media a little” on this. They were protecting him and the University by not letting him speak. You follow the advice of your legal counsel.
Oh my God, he can just say "I'm not going to address legal matters" he can even say, the university has asked me not to comment.....im criticizing the optics of him walking off stage. The little PR guy could have made his announcement 10 minutes earlier, and first question asked, Franklin leaves entirely. If you think I'm wrong, why is it that every other institution handles these things better? I agree it was blown up as a "gotcha" I don't blame Franklin personally, just from a PURE PR and optics standpoint it made him look weak.

Oh my God, he can just say "I'm not going to address legal matters" he can even say, the university has asked me not to comment.....im criticizing the optics of him walking off stage. The little PR guy could have made his announcement 10 minutes earlier, and first question asked, Franklin leaves entirely. If you think I'm wrong, why is it that every other institution handles these things better? I agree it was blown up as a "gotcha" I don't blame Franklin personally, just from a PURE PR and optics standpoint it made him look weak.
That is exactly what was said before the press conference. The reporters asked the question and CJF referred to the spokesperson who said "you saw the release. we will have no other comment". Then they asked again, and CJF stepped aside to give the spokesperson the mic.

It isn't that complicated. the media edited out the version where the media was told there would be no comment on that issue. They asked anyway and are now trying to blow it up. it appears, successfully.

That is exactly what was said before the press conference. The reporters asked the question and CJF referred to the spokesperson who said "you saw the release. we will have no other comment". Then they asked again, and CJF stepped aside to give the spokesperson the mic.

It isn't that complicated. the media edited out the version where the media was told there would be no comment on that issue. They asked anyway and are now trying to blow it up. it appears, successfully.
Okay, then I'll play ball. We have the single most sinister team media in the country(people have suggested as much) so all the more reason for Franklin to be a forceful leader and say, "i won't be taking questions on any pending legal matters and if I receive one, this press conference is OVER" Just not that hard and again, PSU is Alaways shocked and awed by how lousy the team beat is. Never able to head it off at the pass.

Reactions: Obliviax
Okay, then I'll play ball. We have the single most sinister team media in the country(people have suggested as much) so all the more reason for Franklin to be a forceful leader and say, "i won't be taking questions on any pending legal matters and if I receive one, this press conference is OVER" Just not that hard and again, PSU is Alaways shocked and awed by how lousy the team beat is. Never able to head it off at the pass.
That is, basically, what was said to the reporters before the press conference and the video they are releasing. So the media persisted in asking but instead of ending the presser, he had the comms guy refer to the press release and AGAIN, state that they would have no further comment.

By my count, that is THREE TIMES the media was told that they would not comment. Before the presser. After the first question. After the second question.

I am not sure how storming off the stage would have been a better look. Especially since the media would simply show the question being asked and Franklin storming off.

Reactions: mcpat
Anyone aware of the legal representation for the two players? Curious if local attorney?

That is, basically, what was said to the reporters before the press conference and the video they are releasing. So the media persisted in asking but instead of ending the presser, he had the comms guy refer to the press release and AGAIN, state that they would have no further comment.

By my count, that is THREE TIMES the media was told that they would not comment. Before the presser. After the first question. After the second question.

I am not sure how storming off the stage would have been a better look. Especially since the media would simply show the question being asked and Franklin storming off.
Then perhaps penn state needs to reconsider their media credentialing. This is the ONLY school media in the country that would do this after being warned repeatedly it wouldn't be addressed. Something needs to change and a little brow beating from the 28 year old PR twerp ain't it. There is a way for a forceful coach to push back without making it appear that the media has to be sycophantic. Saban would have threaded the needle.

it wasn’t just the questions. It’s also their tweets, to include the video one of them took, and his article.

The reporting should have been the statement and that CJF wouldn’t comment. Two reporters wanted it to be much bigger than that, and they made certain it was.

Then perhaps penn state needs to reconsider their media credentialing. This is the ONLY school media in the country that would do this after being warned repeatedly it wouldn't be addressed. Something needs to change and a little brow beating from the 28 year old PR twerp ain't it. There is a way for a forceful coach to push back without making it appear that the media has to be sycophantic. Saban would have threaded the needle.
I live in Ohio. You should see how the media fawns over the players and coaches. Interestingly, they are vicious on the Browns, Guardians, Cavs, Bengals, and Reds. But the blue jackets and tOSU can do no wrong.

Regardless, CJF is very gracious with the media. he always tells them that he appreciates them covering the team. Perhaps you are correct. I don't think they bring any value. The MSM is dead for all intents and purposes. Just play the games. Screw the mid-week pressers. What value do they bring PSU? Zero.

Joe did nothing right after the announcement just like Penn State didn't.
True. That is why Franklin said nothing.

I think just about everyone learned what not to do. That includes psu. Say nothing. Criminal law is not the football coach' area of expertise. If the reporter wants to go interview the DA or the police then fine. Go ahead.

I always thought the press should have been camped out in front of the police chiefs house, not joes.

Again, if Franklin simply says, "We're unable to discuss that please refer to the statement" there's no story--there's a story because he wouldn't even speak. He walked to a corner both times refusing to say a word--that become a story
They already issued the statement before the PC. Any legit reporter with a clue would know that. Only the clueless one's re-ask what they know won't get a response from Franklin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT