ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin presser

Because the accused are no longer members of the football program, CJF should not be commenting in any manner if but for no other reason to insulate himself from personal legal repercussions. There are people in the university who are paid to comment on university matters outside of athletics and they should be the ones doing it.
And he's the one that needs to say "refer to the statement" like everyone else does. Not his fault but again Penn State's PR department being clueless

Again, Franklin got bad advice. I'm not blaming Franklin. That's not how any sane program would handle this

Franklin is 100% responsible for what happens with players on the program which is why every takeaway is "he walked away". That's not leadership. It's not his fault, but that of the PR depth

The media did nothing wrong here. They asked basic questions.
Again, it's not advice. It's PSU's decision on how to handle it.

The media clearly knew that Franklin would not address the legal issues and clearly went ahead. Just a couple morons, but it ended up putting a damper on the PC and wasted an opportunity for football questions.

The media clearly knew that Franklin would not address the legal issues and clearly went ahead. Just a couple morons, but it ended up putting a damper on the PC and wasted an opportunity for football questions.
It absolutely is advice. He has plenty of opportunity to discuss it and alter it but that's not the point. The entirelsituation was handled poorly by the PR department and Franklin will take heat for that. Fair or not...it happened. People, not Franklin, need fired for that decision.
There's not a reporter alive that wouldn't try to ask a question about it. Not one.

It absolutely is advice. He has plenty of opportunity to discuss it and alter it but that's not the point. The entirelsituation was handled poorly by the PR department and Franklin will take heat for that. Fair or not...it happened. People, not Franklin, need fired for that decision.
There's not a reporter alive that wouldn't try to ask a question about it. Not one.
It's not "advice". Franklin has a boss and a responsibility to follow the legal advice PSU pays to get.

The most poorly handled thing was the 2nd moron knowingly asking a question that 10 seconds earlier it was made known wouldn't be entertained or answerd.

Yes, there are reporters, many of which are alive", that realize a midweek pre game PC is about football.

Pay no attention to HandjoCommando - he specializes in being dead wrong and a childish poser-troll. You don't get "advice" from your employer in this situation - you get instructions which you are contractually obligated to follow.

And he's the one that needs to say "refer to the statement" like everyone else does. Not his fault but again Penn State's PR department being clueless
Well if CJF is asked for a comment in his presser on a question that no one anticipated being asked because the accused are no longer in the program, what would you have him say? In all fairness to the University PR people, why would they preventively say anything if there is no indication that the topic is even going to be brought up?

It's not "advice". Franklin has a boss and a responsibility to follow the legal advice PSU pays to get.

The most poorly handled thing was the 2nd moron knowingly asking a question that 10 seconds earlier it was made known wouldn't be entertained or answerd.

Yes, there are reporters, many of which are alive", that realize a midweek pre game PC is about football.
It's not advice then you refer to it as "legal advice"--well done
Aubrey did nothing wrong with her question--you just don't like it

Well if CJF is asked for a comment in his presser on a question that no one anticipated being asked because the accused are no longer in the program, what would you have him say? In all fairness to the University PR people, why would they preventively say anything if there is no indication that the topic is even going to be brought up?
It was brought up because of the statement that was released yesterday

That’s right. And the incident has nothing to do with Penn State. It’s like fingering Amazon because an employee sold drugs on his own after work. The media makes it about Penn State because that sells.

Always be Closing. Then they wonder why they are going away
ABC Always be closing. Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross.

Reactions: Obliviax
She only asked it so she could put it out there that he “refused” to answer it and get her name out there - a bullsh$t move when she was already told in writing that he wouldn't answer it.

Reactions: GSPMax and Hotshoe
It was brought up because of the statement that was released yesterday
Still there was little degree of certainty that the topic was going to resurface in CJFs presser until it actually did. Accordingly, no need for the PR people to say anything unless it resurfaced which it subsequently did and just happened to be aimed at CJF.

She only asked it so she could put it out there that he “refused” to answer it and get her name out there - a bullsh$t move when she was already told in writing that he wouldn't answer it.
She has the right to ask the question and they can refuse to answer it
Again, if Georgia or Ohio State released a statement like this and no reporter asked (they would ask) people would flip out for them not asking to force them to comment.

Still there was little degree of certainty that the topic was going to resurface in CJFs presser until it actually did. Accordingly, no need for the PR people to say anything unless it resurfaced which it subsequently did and just happened to be aimed at CJF.
I don't buy that for a second. That's why they did what they did--they planned for it
Not a single person is naive enough to believe a question would be asked
If our PR department wasn't expecting a question they're worse than even I think

WrongoCommodo, don’t you ever tire of being wrong? You’re wrong more often than a broken clock. Oh, Minnesota was onside.
I'm not even remotely wrong here. I told you all it would be an issue before the mainstream media even ran with it. A HC can not walk away from the podium and have someone else speak for him. It's not Franklin's fault--our PR department handled it correctly.

I love that people can't ever accept that Penn State did something wrong--this was obvious but you'd rather blame a reporter for asking a question instead of how the obvious questions was handled

Yes he was cowering in the corner of thr stage likely due to a directive he was given. That's going to be the takeaway of most. A head coach shouldn't need someone else to control the reporters for him or refer to a statement

This isn't about James. This is about our media relations being incompetent and making him appear weak.
Well if your boss tells you not to comment and defer to the SID, then that’s what you do. If the reporter really gave a royal rat’s you know what about when Franklin learned about the charges do a little work and get the arrest record and criminal dockets and compare that to when the players were on kicked off the team.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I'm not even remotely wrong here. I told you all it would be an issue before the mainstream media even ran with it. A HC can not walk away from the podium and have someone else speak for him. It's not Franklin's fault--our PR department handled it correctly.

I love that people can't ever accept that Penn State did something wrong--this was obvious but you'd rather blame a reporter for asking a question instead of how the obvious questions was handled
PSU did nothing wrong. It’s not their fault that reporters are too stupid and obnoxious and keep asking questions after being told several times there would be no further comment beyond the press release.

Reactions: mcpat
Well if your boss tells you not to comment and defer to the SID, then that’s what you do. If the reporter really gave a royal rat’s you know what about when Franklin learned about the charges do a little work and get the arrest record and criminal dockets and compare that to when the players were on kicked off the team.
And, this is why I'm not blaming Franklin--but I understand he'll take heat nationally for it

PSU did nothing wrong. It’s not their fault that reporters are too stupid and obnoxious and keep asking questions after being told several times there would be no further comment beyond the press release.
Yes, we handled it incorrectly. The reporters weren't stupid--they asked simple and obvious questions. Who wouldn't expect that? When don't reporters do that?
It's their job to be prepared for it and, if they weren't, that's worse than the bad plan it appears they came up with

Reactions: ram2020

You’re just as dumb as the two dunces who asked the questions by after being told not to do so.

Reactions: GregInPitt
She did nothing wrong, except acting like a moron and setting a very poor tone for the rest of the PC that was supposed to be about football, which she should know as a member of the PSU FOOTBALL media.

You're defending her like she's your sister. Yep she acted childishly. And she'll have to live with the loss of respect that she will have from Franklin and likely some other media members going forwar.

About the only thing I agree with you on is that no, I don't like it. As lots of others that are football fans don't like the fact that she derailed what is normally a mid week PC on the PSU football team and their upcoming game.

Reactions: mcpat and Hotshoe
You’re just as dumb as the two dunces who asked the questions by after being told not to do so.
lol because I understand reporters are going to ask questions even when they're told not to? Yes, that's dumb. Have you never seen a press conference before?
It's okay to admit our PR department messed up here--they handled it poorly--don't believe me--see that national take on it.
We continually do this to ourselves

She did nothing wrong, except acting like a moron and setting a very poor tone for the rest of the PC that was supposed to be about football, which she should know as a member of the PSU FOOTBALL media.

You're defending her like she's your sister. Yep she acted childishly. And she'll have to live with the loss of respect that she will have from Franklin and likely some other media members going forwar.

About the only thing I agree with you on is that no, I don't like it. As lots of others that are football fans don't like the fact that she derailed what is normally a mid week PC on the PSU football team and their upcoming game.
You claiming she's a moron for asking a legit question is emotion based and lacks logic
How is it childish to ask how early the knew about it? Franklin says "Please refer to the statement" and they move on but we handled it poorly
You're trying to blame her for this when if she didn't ask someone else would have. The next reporter, no matter who they called on, was going to do it.
We handled it poorly as a program. Someone needs to be fired for that.

This is a huge nothing burger, and you're calling for someone to be fired. Lmao. This isn't going on and on anywhere.

Reactions: GSPMax
2 former players, brought into the program, and the university, by Franklin are charged with rape and people actually think reporters won’t ask Franklin about it. It’s not the smallest amount reasonable to think that this would not come up. That PSU didn’t have a better response is negligence. You may not like the reporters or that they asked about it. That’s fine. But to not be prepared for probably the most obvious question asked all year is an indicator of total PR incompetence. As for Franklin, when you make $7m per year, you should be prepared for the question, even if the response is to refer to the university statement. That is all he needed to say. Not too hard.

Ian Rapport today--but yeah no one cares

"Face of the football program. Most recognizable person associated with Penn St. Demands athletes be held accountable. Paid millions, some of it taxpayer money. Yet refuses to stand up and deliver a statement or face important questions from reporters doing their jobs".

Franklin looks bad today and it's not his fault

How many of those do you want? Search James Franklin right now--he's being destroyed because we have idiots in Public Relations

Stewart Mandel
"A master class in how NOT to handle a negative story, by Franklin and Penn St's PR folks.
Try to dictate what reporters can ask? Check.
Performative walk off in a huff? Check.
Create far more viral attention than if he'd just said "I can't comment on that." Check."

Dan Wolken
"Penn St really Streisand Effected the hell out of this one. The goal in these situations should be for people like me to not notice this story. Instead, they guaranteed that everyone in the media - and even beyond the sports media - is asking “What the hell is up with Penn St?”"

lol because I understand reporters are going to ask questions even when they're told not to? Yes, that's dumb. Have you never seen a press conference before?
It's okay to admit our PR department messed up here--they handled it poorly--don't believe me--see that national take on it.
We continually do this to ourselves
No means no, Wrongi. No means no.

CBS's Jonathan Jones--I'll keep going while I watch the NFL
"Legitimately not sure this could have been handled more poorly"
Maybe the more you all see every sane person knows this was a disaster you'll accept it

No means no, Wrongi. No means no.
"Please refer to the statement"--read what everyone else is saying
Pretend I'm an idiot--everyone agrees here aside from about 5 of you that can't accept this was a PR disaster
The media has no obligation to honor that request--they don't dictate what questions are asked

2 former players, brought into the program, and the university, by Franklin are charged with rape and people actually think reporters won’t ask Franklin about it. It’s not the smallest amount reasonable to think that this would not come up. That PSU didn’t have a better response is negligence. You may not like the reporters or that they asked about it. That’s fine. But to not be prepared for probably the most obvious question asked all year is an indicator of total PR incompetence. As for Franklin, when you make $7m per year, you should be prepared for the question, even if the response is to refer to the university statement. That is all he needed to say. Not too hard.
They were free to ask. They did. Franklin referred them to comms. Story over

"Please refer to the statement"--read what everyone else is saying
Pretend I'm an idiot--everyone agrees here aside from about 5 of you that can't accept this was a PR disaster
The media has no obligation to honor that request--they don't dictate what questions are asked
I don’t let stupid individuals influence my thoughts.

Those clowns would never be at another press conference if I had a say.

I don’t let stupid individuals influence my thoughts.

Those clowns would never be at another press conference if I had a say.
But you don't have a say--and Penn State would look even worse if they banned a reporter for asking about a dismissed player that was charged with rape. Again, media relations can request questions are not asked but it's only that--a request.

Ian Rapport today--but yeah no one cares

"Face of the football program. Most recognizable person associated with Penn St. Demands athletes be held accountable. Paid millions, some of it taxpayer money. Yet refuses to stand up and deliver a statement or face important questions from reporters doing their jobs".

Franklin looks bad today and it's not his fault

How many of those do you want? Search James Franklin right now--he's being destroyed because we have idiots in Public Relations
Dude, he got blasted, and rightfully so. It was a total setup, and no one is getting fired. All reporters were notified, they would not be taking questions. Period. Franklin owes no one anything. It's a legal matter, the kids haven't been on the team for months. They never played for Penn State.

They were free to ask. They did. Franklin referred them to comms. Story over
But he didn’t. He hid in the corner like a coward. Admit the obvious. Now I know what a cult looks and acts like. Jim
Jones and Charles Manson would be proud of you. Just drink the cool-aid.

In the real world, healthy organizations admit they are wrong, seek to improve and move on. In the US government and Penn State football, highly paid individuals can’t admit the obvious, evade and make the situation worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT