ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin statement on current events...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, imo, policing should be treated like the military in that service should be of a limited time and not orientated toward a career of 20 years or more as in days past. Feel free to offer your own formula but here's mine off the top of my head; no more than 3 years in uniform in high crime areas. Finish those 3 years with 2 years in an administrative capacity or as a detective if aptitude is shown. At the end of 5 years, a prorated pension of sorts could be offered, similar to what our military receives (tuition assistance, health care?). Police career tracks for those wanting to continue more than 5 years would be available to some, but not in nose-to-nose, radio car policing. Also, pay cops enough to make a living. Moonlighting after working a tour of duty just adds additional stress to an already stressful situation.

PS: Does anyone know the backstory about both the involved cop and George Floyd working as security guards at a local strip club? What the heck??

Along the lines of what you said ... I good buddy of mine has an interesting theory along the same lines. His belief is that these positions that are "unionized" (for lack of a better term) such as police, teachers... tend to "protect their own". It's a "code of police", "loyal to blue", "code of teachers"... where they stick together no matter what. For example, he says these cops all hang out together, they'll ride together, they'll eat together, they'll go to bars together... In other words they get to see each other a lot. Typically, when you are around someone a long time, you pick up on their personal feelings & beliefs. A cop could start saying things to other cops that are racist & sinister and hint that he is turning a "bad corner" ... but the code of being a cop is that the other cops would never report him. The code of being a cop is that you could never report another cop or else you'd be targeted by your fellow cops. Same with teachers. If you had a male teacher and when he was with other male teachers if he made comments about the 15-16 year old female students, chances are the other teachers would never report that creep. They'd never go to the school board and say "XXXX, makes comments about the a$$ or the boobs of the female students". The code of teachers is that you do not report other teachers. There are certain professions such as teachers & cops where there is more of a loyalty to that professional group than the overall "right & wrong". I'd be willing to bet that sometime over the past year or two when this cop in MN was hanging out having beers with fellow cops at a backyard BBQ or a local cop bar that he made a few sinister type racial comments or stereotypes. But his fellow officers would never think of crossing that "blue line" and report him.

Along the lines of what you said ... I good buddy of mine has an interesting theory along the same lines. His belief is that these positions that are "unionized" (for lack of a better term) such as police, teachers... tend to "protect their own". It's a "code of police", "loyal to blue", "code of teachers"... where they stick together no matter what. For example, he says these cops all hang out together, they'll ride together, they'll eat together, they'll go to bars together... In other words they get to see each other a lot. Typically, when you are around someone a long time, you pick up on their personal feelings & beliefs. A cop could start saying things to other cops that are racist & sinister and hint that he is turning a "bad corner" ... but the code of being a cop is that the other cops would never report him. The code of being a cop is that you could never report another cop or else you'd be targeted by your fellow cops. Same with teachers. If you had a male teacher and when he was with other male teachers if he made comments about the 15-16 year old female students, chances are the other teachers would never report that creep. They'd never go to the school board and say "XXXX, makes comments about the a$$ or the boobs of the female students". The code of teachers is that you do not report other teachers. There are certain professions such as teachers & cops where there is more of a loyalty to that professional group than the overall "right & wrong". I'd be willing to bet that sometime over the past year or two when this cop in MN was hanging out having beers with fellow cops at a backyard BBQ or a local cop bar that he made a few sinister type racial comments or stereotypes. But his fellow officers would never think of crossing that "blue line" and report him.
It’s called “union mentality” and there’s a lot of truth to your buddy’s theory.

This is the most valuable post in the thread. I see a lot of the problem as exactly what you stated. Professions refuse to “police themselves” for lack of a better term. I think it is exacerbated by public employee unions. Unions are necessary. I have seen enough really bad business owners to know that without a union some people would never even remotely be fair to workers. Public employee unions are a huge problem. They negotiate against the tax payer. They protect the inept who are working against the public interest from being fired.

Specific to police, we need to give a great deal of thought to how we hire police officers. Giving ex-military a hiring advantage is something we should re-examine. Having unions which make it nearly impossible to fire bad cops unless they are caught on tape needs to be studied too. It might be an issue which can never be resolved because one half of our political parties is completely dependent on their campaign donations, but if we want to solve these issues we need to think outside of the usual political boxes.

This is the most valuable post in the thread. I see a lot of the problem as exactly what you stated. Professions refuse to “police themselves” for lack of a better term. I think it is exacerbated by public employee unions. Unions are necessary. I have seen enough really bad business owners to know that without a union some people would never even remotely be fair to workers. Public employee unions are a huge problem. They negotiate against the tax payer. They protect the inept who are working against the public interest from being fired.

Specific to police, we need to give a great deal of thought to how we hire police officers. Giving ex-military a hiring advantage is something we should re-examine. Having unions which make it nearly impossible to fire bad cops unless they are caught on tape needs to be studied too. It might be an issue which can never be resolved because one half of our political parties is completely dependent on their campaign donations, but if we want to solve these issues we need to think outside of the usual political boxes.
Unions at one time were vitally important, I’m not sure they are anymore. With all the laws in place, avenues of recourse employees can take, HR departments that control most corporations, and the political directives of most unions these days, I think unions may have outlasted their usefulness and actually do very little for good employees any more.

Has there been any evidence yet that this was racially motivated? Or by virtue of the cop being white and victim being black, then that alone makes it racially motivated?

Wouldn't it be great if we had a few Frank Serpico's in congress?

Oh you’re waiting for the cops to admit it, brilliant as usual.
Equally as brilliant as just assuming it was racially motivated. Apparently it’s okay to be wrong as long as you’re wrong on the right side of things.

Um, no. For as easily as dirt on people gets dug up by crowd sourcing, there's been absolutely nothing about any of those cops being racist. If this was racially motivated, you'd think there'd be tons of stuff out there by now. Yet, nothing.

Dozens of cities have been attacked because this was supposed to be a racist incident. Yet, nothing suggests that it was.

Of course they wouldn't admit it but there might be evidence of racial profiling in the past. My guess is that this officer was just an undisciplined redneck.

Um, no. For as easily as dirt on people gets dug up by crowd sourcing, there's been absolutely nothing about any of those cops being racist. If this was racially motivated, you'd think there'd be tons of stuff out there by now. Yet, nothing.

Dozens of cities have been attacked because this was supposed to be a racist incident. Yet, nothing suggests that it was.
How many years have you walked around as a minority? You seem to be a real expert with this stuff.

How many years have you walked around as a minority? You seem to be a real expert with this stuff.
Really, he just asked a question and it seemed like an innocent question. Has there been anything to come out showing racial motivation to this either in the moment or in past actions of Chauvin (if I have that right)?

Reactions: AWS1022

He did not say it was 'not" racist, he just simply stated that so far to date there is nothing out there on this Chauvin's social media fingerprint to suggest he's a racist. You know as soon as this happened his entire social media fingerprint was examined looking for racist remarks. As Interrobang simply stated, so far there have not been any of those things surface. For example, a few years ago some young guy shot up a predominantly black church in Charleston, I think the guys name was Dylan (??), anyhow, within about 5 minutes after he was identified as the shooter we had facebook, twitter... posts from him with racist connotations. Maybe you have seen those on this Chauvin guy? All interrobang was saying is that so far that stuff has not surfaced, and you know CNN, NBC, MSNBC, CBA, NYTimes... have all been spending non-stop resources all looking for that smoking gun tweet or facebook or picture.

Reactions: CbusLion10
He did not say it was 'not" racist, he just simply stated that so far to date there is nothing out there on this Chauvin's social media fingerprint to suggest he's a racist. You know as soon as this happened his entire social media fingerprint was examined looking for racist remarks. As Interrobang simply stated, so far there have not been any of those things surface. For example, a few years ago some young guy shot up a predominantly black church in Charleston, I think the guys name was Dylan (??), anyhow, within about 5 minutes after he was identified as the shooter we had facebook, twitter... posts from him with racist connotations. Maybe you have seen those on this Chauvin guy? All interrobang was saying is that so far that stuff has not surfaced, and you know CNN, NBC, MSNBC, CBA, NYTimes... have all been spending non-stop resources all looking for that smoking gun tweet or facebook or picture.
So in your opinion the police advertise their racism on social media? I mean he has a history that isn’t pretty when it comes to minorities, but since he didn’t say it was due to racism, so it clearly wasn’t. Ok, listen to CJ Thorpes’s speech from today, maybe try and hear a different perspective than your own? I get some people are uncomfortable with the topic but maybe listening to others who are effected by racism will let people start to understand. Look at what happened to Aneas Hawkins last week. I have yet to see any cops saying this was how to do things, in fact they all said it went against all their training, but 3 others stood by and watched. They had no problem with how he was treated....wonder why?

Reactions: smealpsu2005

There were at least 2 threads on here this morning where this would have fit but they're long gone.
Glad he put out a statement. I believe it was on point, forceful but not overbearing and had no sense of finger pointing. James Franklin is a uniter, not a divider. Glad he is the HC @ PSU. Just like JOEPA, the young men who have played for or will play for him should be thankful they have a HC who cares about them in every respect while they are playing and into their future.

I have not had a cop treat me belligerently. Not this week.

I have not had a cop ask me for identification once when he had no reason to stop me. No, I have had that done many times.

I was never questioned as though I was a suspect in a homicide. Oh, yes I was.

Methinks you have to walk in another mans shoes before you go and judge how he has been treated.

Reactions: PSUHarry33
So in your opinion the police advertise their racism on social media? I mean he has a history that isn’t pretty when it comes to minorities, but since he didn’t say it was due to racism, so it clearly wasn’t. Ok, listen to CJ Thorpes’s speech from today, maybe try and hear a different perspective than your own? I get some people are uncomfortable with the topic but maybe listening to others who are effected by racism will let people start to understand. Look at what happened to Aneas Hawkins last week. I have yet to see any cops saying this was how to do things, in fact they all said it went against all their training, but 3 others stood by and watched. They had no problem with how he was treated....wonder why?

No, he's saying how do we know this guy isn't just a d*ckhead that shouldn't have been wearing a police uniform? Is there any reason to believe he wouldn't put his knee on a white person's neck? He very well could be racist but there's no evidence right now.

Reactions: CbusLion10
No, he's saying how do we know this guy isn't just a d*ckhead that shouldn't have been wearing a police uniform? Is there any reason to believe he wouldn't put his knee on a white person's neck? He very well could be racist but there's no evidence right now.
How many cops or public officials openly say they are racist? Maybe he isn’t but his checkered history with minorities sure doesn’t paint him out to be just some guy. Then you had 3 others sit there and watch him and never speak up. Almost like this was ok, but every law enforcement officer I have seen speak out have said it was outrageously wrong. There are systemic issues in our country and some people don’t want to admit or see it. I’m sure those tapes of him killing white people over counterfeit bills will be produced soon enough, so I’ll apologize for not giving a POS his due process on a spot message board.

I appreciate him speaking up but it means little if not nothing. This cycle has played out again and again. People had good words then too. Fact is we all need to take account and hold other accountable for their actions.

I appreciate him speaking up but it means little if not nothing. This cycle has played out again and again. People had good words then too. Fact is we all need to take account and hold other accountable for their actions.
That I also agree with.

And I'd go as far as to say the people involved with these things over the past few weeks are not even "far left or far right". They are simply terrible human beings, "far right and far left" does not have to have anything to do with being a terrible person ... how about you are a terrible person because you are a terrible person.

> It reminds me of an old Chris Rock bit in which he talks about "just fu*#ing crazy". Chris Rock has this bit where he says how we all want to call people certain names, but when he grew up we all just called that person "fu*#ing crazy... what happened to just plane old fu*#king crazy" .... Of coarse you have to imagine Chris Rock and his voice inflections.

But anyhow. Those two guys who killed the kid in GA, that horrible person who was hitting the old guy up in MI, this low life cop in MN.... IMO, I don't see political affiliations with these people. I don't see them as "far right or far left", I see them as criminal thugs who do not represent 99% of society. As Chris Rock would say "what about just horrible fu*#ing human beings".
Well written and expressed, and I agree with you. I was more referencing aspects of the "divide" in our nation due to all the noise coming from the far right and the far left while no one represents the majority us who are neither, but I prefer your point
of view. There are too many labels, when a simple "crazy f**king people" says it much better.

Last edited:

I’ve been so heartbroken by the scenes in the streets of US cities (and abroad) this week. It is senselessness born out of senselessness...two wrongs, predictably, making things worse. I want to help but I feel...helpless. It’s as if we need to have a very public salting of our wounds every generation or so. You’d think we’d all have come together to figure some of this shit out by now, but damn the wheels keep spinning. Why?

Do I think the cop is racist? It sure seems like it. Of course he deserves his day in court, but that better be one helluva day if I’m to change my mind.

I haven’t been able to shake a lyric from an old Sinead O’Connor song all week -
These are dangerous days
To say what you feel is to dig your own grave
Remember what I told you
If you were of the world they would love you
England's not the mythical land of Madame George and roses
It's the home of police who kill blacks boys on mopeds
And I love my boy and that's why I'm leaving
I don't want him to be aware that there's
Any such thing as grieving

A lot of interesting theories on this thread about how systemic racism is within our public and private institutions. I’m heartened by this, since I’m old fashioned enough to believe in the power of constructive dialogue. As for our coach’s comments - I’ll just add that I’m so proud that he offers more than just “coach speak” in these times, that his anguish does not extinguish his optimism, and that he’s one of us.

Unions at one time were vitally important, I’m not sure they are anymore. With all the laws in place, avenues of recourse employees can take, HR departments that control most corporations, and the political directives of most unions these days, I think unions may have outlasted their usefulness and actually do very little for good employees any more.
You are wrong. The problem is the Mandatory arbitration system for grievances. Arbitrators are picked by the parties and want to keep working. They do not like to make hard decisions such as upholding a dismissal. They put the employee back to work without back pay and mandate anger management training. Neither management or labor is happy with the decision but neither is so upset with the decision enough to not use the same arbitrator again.

The system which allows police to go unpunished creates the frustration. People demonstrate to air their frustration. The anarchist “on both sides” fuel the mob mentality and lead the mob to destructive behavior. Frustration is felt on both sides. We are in of need counseling for cooler hears to prevail.

There is no way white people could ever handle being treated the way they treat minorities. White Americans simply don’t have the strength of spine to deal with all the subtle and systemic acts of racism that minorities have dealt with for generations.
As the Irish about that one some day. Or the Italians. It's not that way now, of course. But it once was.

No. But just about every single person these days has a digital foot-print.: emails, your amazon account, your browsing website, facebook, twitter, social media boards like this... Cops are human beings, and they do much of the same stuff as we do in our off time.

You do realize that two statements can be true simultaneously:
Statement 1: What Chauvin did was horrible, over the line and racist ... true statement
Statement 2: To date no agency has been able to find a racist background on Chauvin's digital foot print ... true statement

Reactions: RU31trap
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT