ADVERTISEMENT

Game 11: PSU @ Ohio State, Columbus OH, Nov 23, 12pm Fox

I think the spread from Vegas is far too high and is easy money at -18. With that said I'm obviously a fan of my team and expect them to win. I really do believe this is the best team OSU has had since the 2014 team. I think it will be tight through most of the game and even into the 4th and it will end something like 31-17 or about that. I think PSU has a very good football team but they are playing on the road and it will be a factor. I also think OSU is simply more balanced, they have shown the ability to throw the ball when needed, PSU hasn't always done that. Chase Young (I know you don't want to hear this) will absolutely impact this game.

I think the spread from Vegas is far too high and is easy money at -18. With that said I'm obviously a fan of my team and expect them to win. I really do believe this is the best team OSU has had since the 2014 team. I think it will be tight through most of the game and even into the 4th and it will end something like 31-17 or about that. I think PSU has a very good football team but they are playing on the road and it will be a factor. I also think OSU is simply more balanced, they have shown the ability to throw the ball when needed, PSU hasn't always done that. Chase Young (I know you don't want to hear this) will absolutely impact this game.

Spent some time rewatching Wisconsin - OSU game and it was a decent game for nearly 3 qtrs. Bucks held scoreless in 1st qtr, then got a 50 yd FG early in second then TD with 40 secs to half. Wisconson got block punt deep in OSU territory and scored to make it 10-7. Game shifted middle of 3rd when Dobbins and Fields started killing them with their feet. Started scoring in bunches then Chase Young started teeing off. OSU got a TO turned TD to put game out of reach 24 - 7. Overall, this game will be on Robert Windsor and Shelton. If you generate pass rush up the middle then you can pressure Fields and maybe throw his timing off. We will need some TOs from pressure so Pry has to dial it up. They are a juggernaut when Fields hits those crossing routes, followed by Dobbins up the middle. Just hard to stop and requires complete defensive team work. I think we are better than Wisconsin on offense but this will be really tough to win.

That's pretty accurate. Special teams, turnovers and injuries will probably decide this game. I hope.

PS has a real WR problem right now. Dotson is number one. Beyond that, there are no proven threats. This game could get ugly due to this reason alone. Open speculation on Keystone Sports that Shorter could consider the portal. Not sure why this position group is lagging so badly.

Spent some time rewatching Wisconsin - OSU game and it was a decent game for nearly 3 qtrs. Bucks held scoreless in 1st qtr, then got a 50 yd FG early in second then TD with 40 secs to half. Wisconson got block punt deep in OSU territory and scored to make it 10-7. Game shifted middle of 3rd when Dobbins and Fields started killing them with their feet. Started scoring in bunches then Chase Young started teeing off. OSU got a TO turned TD to put game out of reach 24 - 7. Overall, this game will be on Robert Windsor and Shelton. If you generate pass rush up the middle then you can pressure Fields and maybe throw his timing off. We will need some TOs from pressure so Pry has to dial it up. They are a juggernaut when Fields hits those crossing routes, followed by Dobbins up the middle. Just hard to stop and requires complete defensive team work. I think we are better than Wisconsin on offense but this will be really tough to win.

What struck me watching that game was how slow Wisconsin looked on defense. Maybe PSU's speed on D keeps it close to the end. We shall see.

Reactions: bmw199

"so Pry has to dial it up"

Have you been watching this team when Pry tries to "dial it up"? Whether it be the linebackers or secondary, our blitzers never get pressure on the qb - they either get stoned at the line or take their blitzes too wide to be effective. The QB simply steps up and hits receivers in the vacated area. Pry would probably be better off rushing 3 and dropping 8 into coverage and seeing if Fields gets happy feet waiting for a receiver to get open. Let Parsons spy Fields and jump him when he tries to scramble.

But, our coaches have forgotten more than I will ever know about football and I am sure they will do what they think is best - whether it works or not - we'll see.

Open speculation on Keystone Sports that Shorter could consider the portal.
He can go slap catch some where else. That was a laughable effort in Minnesota. Any recruit that looks at that and thinks we have a developmental issue is nuts. Not even a RB coach who is coaching WRs would teach that. Idk what university would want him right now, and it looks a lot like the George Campbell situation. All that said, he could get back in good graces by making plays.

PS has a real WR problem right now. Dotson is number one. Beyond that, there are no proven threats. This game could get ugly due to this reason alone. Open speculation on Keystone Sports that Shorter could consider the portal. Not sure why this position group is lagging so badly.

Daesean Hamilton went through a very rough stretch in his PSU career before he put it together his senior year. NFL receiver now. Shorter is still young, just a RS Freshman. Everyone overreacts to a single game. While he was terrible in the Minnesota game, he wasn't dropping passes in previous games and even made some tough (albeit short) catches. He wasn't targeted much, understood. People need to forget about the star rankings once they get on campus. All that is done. He's a very good athlete, big body, who needs to improve. Not every player has the same trajectory to becoming a good player. And those on a slower trajectory don't need to be rushed into the portal. I hate dumb shit like that.

Is Hamler looking like a game time decision? There are a lot of comments out there about not passing concussion protocol thus far in the week.

The preview you've been waiting for.

Judge laid out a solid blue print. Have to stop the run, and pressure Fields to throw and hope our secondary is up to the task. Need to keep hitting Fields too. If we can keep it close and hang around, might be that one turnover is the difference. OSU has great depth on O though and they can flood the field with capable and experienced WRs. It's a tall order with zero margin for error.

Reactions: RU31trap
He can go slap catch some where else. That was a laughable effort in Minnesota. Any recruit that looks at that and thinks we have a developmental issue is nuts. Not even a RB coach who is coaching WRs would teach that. Idk what university would want him right now, and it looks a lot like the George Campbell situation. All that said, he could get back in good graces by making plays.
Any program would take a chance on the #1 WR recruit with 3 years of eligibility

Judge laid out a solid blue print. Have to stop the run, and pressure Fields to throw and hope our secondary is up to the task. Need to keep hitting Fields too. If we can keep it close and hang around, might be that one turnover is the difference. OSU has great depth on O though and they can flood the field with capable and experienced WRs. It's a tall order with zero margin for error.

Minnesota hung on to beat us at the end and they were +2 in turnovers.

If we can be +2 in turnovers this game, we have a good shot to win.

Agree. Turnovers are the great equalizer. Hopefully the wet and cold impact Fields and he puts the ball on the ground once or twice and throws a couple picks.

I think we need to be +3 though....

This defense has dropped a lot of interceptions this year. Hanging on to them this week could swing the game. I could see 11 swinging Stormbreaker in the end zone this week

This defense has dropped a lot of interceptions this year. Hanging on to them this week could swing the game. I could see 11 swinging Stormbreaker in the end zone this week

fad7a21e5c75824c5e4a1489058fbb5d.gif

I think a lot of us here are downplaying our chances so as not to end up disappointed. For example, we’re talking up how poorly we played against Minnesota and Indiana, without giving the mitigating circumstances. The Minnesota game was away against an undefeated team, psyched up for their largest game in eons. Indiana was a natural trap game, right before the biggest game of our season. In neither of them did we have Cain playing. Given those circumstances, it’s not unreasonable to think that our poor play in those games was an outlier and that our true form was better reflected in, say, the Iowa or Michigan State games.

If we are as good as the team we thought we were the first eight weeks, there is reason to believe that we could win this game without any flukes or luck involved.

Here’s the most likely way we can outplay Ohio State: first, our defense holds OSU’s rushing in check enough that they feel the need to pass. This is doable, since run defense is arguably Penn State’s greatest strength. Then we hope that Fields doesn’t have a good day passing. Being put in obvious passing downs, under nasty weather conditions, during the pressure of a close game, and against an athletic defense, would make for more difficulty than he has faced all year. He may come up big, but given those obstacles, it’s not a crazy thought that he does not.

On offense, we get enough points to keep up with Ohio State and eat up enough clock to keep the defense fresh and stout for the whole game. Short passes to Freiermuth and grinding runs with Cain are two tactics for methodically moving the ball downfield. Hamler can make big plays to keep the defense from selling out against the run, and Brown can spell Cain if necessary. Clifford can scramble if all else is covered, and two TE sets would give us both an extra blocker and an extra set of sure hands. It’s my understanding that Wisconsin was overconfident in its OL’s ability to block Chase Young and therefore didn’t give it any help in stopping him. The extra TE might be our way of avoiding that mistake. Speaking of the Wisconsin game, that was the only game where OSU’s defense faced a team with a legitimate offensive weapon: Jonathan Taylor. Without other weapons to worry about, they did a fine job of stifling him. Let’s see what they do this time, when they will face three weapons: Cain, Freiermuth, and Hamler. They can certainly blank us and make Clifford nervous, but then again, they might not.

In summary, assuming Rahne is not a complete idiot, we can win this game without luck or turnovers by winning two matchups: 1) Our run defense beats their run offense. 2) Clifford outplays Fields. If those two things happen, and all else goes according to chalk, we win.

Last edited:
I think a lot of us here are downplaying our chances so as not to end up disappointed. For example, we’re talking up how poorly we played against Minnesota and Indiana, without giving the mitigating circumstances. The Minnesota game was away against an undefeated team, psyched up for their largest game in eons. Indiana was a natural trap game, right before the biggest game of our season. In neither of them did we have Cain playing. Given those circumstances, it’s not unreasonable to think that our poor play in those games was an outlier and that our true form was better reflected in, say, the Iowa or Michigan State games.

If we are as good as the team we thought we were the first eight weeks, there is reason to believe that we could win this game without any flukes or luck involved.

Here’s the most likely way we can outplay Ohio State: first, our defense holds OSU’s rushing in check enough that they feel the need to pass. This is doable, since run defense is arguably Penn State’s greatest strength. Then we hope that Fields doesn’t have a good day passing. Being put in obvious passing downs, under nasty weather conditions, during the pressure of a close game, and against an athletic defense, would make for more difficulty than he has faced all year. He may come up big, but given those obstacles, it’s not a crazy thought that he does not.

On offense, we get enough points to keep up with Ohio State and eat up enough clock to keep the defense fresh and stout for the whole game. Short passes to Freiermuth and grinding runs with Cain are two tactics for methodically moving the ball downfield. Hamler can make big plays to keep the defense from selling out against the run, and Brown can spell Cain if necessary. Clifford can scramble if all else is covered, and two TE sets would give us both an extra blocker and an extra set of sure hands. It’s my understanding that Wisconsin was overconfident in its OL’s ability to block Chase Young and therefore didn’t give it any help in stopping him. The extra TE might be our way of avoiding that mistake. Speaking of the Wisconsin game, that was the only game where OSU’s defense faced a team with a legitimate offensive weapon: Jonathan Taylor. Without other weapons to worry about, they did a fine job of stifling him. Let’s see what they do this time, when they will face three weapons: Cain, Freiermuth, and Hamler. They can certainly blank us and make Clifford nervous, but then again, they might not.

In summary, assuming Rahne is not a complete idiot, we can win this game without luck or turnovers by winning two matchups: 1) Our run defense beats their run offense. 2) Clifford outplays Fields. If those two things happen, and all else goes according to chalk, we win.

This is one of the best posts I think I've ever read on BWI. lol. Nice.

Reactions: Football79Dude
9-1 and ranked in the Top 10. Imagine how they would have been when Joe had 4 losing seasons in 5 years back in the early 2000s. Or maybe that was ok because it was Joe.
Leave Joe out of this. It gets old hearing only about that five year period. What about the other 40 years? Well in those 40 years Joe's teams lost 0, 1 or 2 games 20 times. Still amazing to think about.

Reactions: Madsol
Per his social media, Ricky Slade is back in State College and didn’t make the trip. He bitched about PT on his social media earlier in the season , blocked like a pussy on one INT in the Minny game, took a terrible angle on 2pt conversion try that might have cost them the game (he gets in and they are kicking game tying FG at the end of regulation), and then only played a handful of snaps last week. Portal speculation is legit here. Two more blue chip RBs coming in 2020 class. Survival of the fittest.

Per his social media, Ricky Slade is back in State College and didn’t make the trip. He bitched about PT on his social media earlier in the season , blocked like a pussy on one INT in the Minny game, took a terrible angle on 2pt conversion try that might have cost them the game (he gets in and they are kicking game tying FG at the end of regulation), and then only played a handful of snaps last week. Portal speculation is legit here. Two more blue chip RBs coming in 2020 class. Survival of the fittest.

Yeah, he’s gonna be gone. Wasn’t recruited by Seider either.

Candidly, I've seen enough of him to last a lifetime. I can tolerate a lot but I've noticed a direct lack of effort and want from him this year.

Had high hopes for Slade but seems he was a camp warrior. Despite his obvious issues here, he probably starts for nearly every other Big Ten team. Fresh start might be a good thing for him. Ford, Cain, Brown and the incoming RBs are more than enough for PSU.

Had high hopes for Slade but seems he was a camp warrior. Despite his obvious issues here, he probably starts for nearly every other Big Ten team. Fresh start might be a good thing for him. Ford, Cain, Brown and the incoming RBs are more than enough for PSU.

Hang on, you think Slade starts for every other big ten team? That is a joke right?

No way, maybe 2 or 3 big ten teams, max.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT