ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State vs. Michigan

Some here are the same folks that constantly ripped on Ricky Rahne as OC. The dude was a fking genius regarding game planning. If you don't know that, it's on you. Ricky was legit and he knows his sh&t. He not only beat VA Tech this year, a joke of a program is now in 2nd place in the Sun Belt.
I wouldn't even call Rahne a "good" offensive coordinator, but in comparison to MY, yes, he is a genius.

• Wow
Reactions: GregInPitt
I wouldn't even call Rahne a "good" offensive coordinator, but in comparison to MY, yes, he is a genius.
Then you wouldn't know Rahne very well. His game planning was immaculate. Everything he tried worked. Watch his games. You knew exactly what he was doing and what he was exposing on defenses. Not only that, he was incredibly successful. MY absolute sucks and that’s very clear now. 1 pass to a rb, and one pass to a tight end. Pure genius.

If he would transfer because of sitting a quarter or whatever to learn and face some hard coaching, then good riddance. We need hard nosed players for a change
I don't think it would be a quarter. He would have to sit longer than that
The reality is kids don't stay if they're sitting in 2022 for any length of time.

So how will the season play out realistically?

Minny - Tossup, hope that the team can rally for a win in front of all the recruits
Oh-high-ya - Loss
Indiana - Win
MD - Tossup
Rutgers - Win (barely)
MSU - Win (hopefully the team sends Cliff out with a win and the embarassment of losing to MSU in the past gets the team motivated)

Maybe that is optimistic at predicting 9-3. It will take some soul searching and possibly some lineup and scheme changes to make 9-3 a reality. Once reality sets in after a likely loss to Oh-high-ya I hope Franklin goes heavy with the younger players. Start Carter. Start Shelton at Right OT, See who can replace Sutherland that can actually tackle (how about one of the young Safety's),....

Glad that Illinois is not on this year's schedule as they would probably pound this year's PSU defense into submission, along with their QB running and making plays.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: bison13

Minny - Tossup, hope that the team can rally for a win in front of all the recruits
Oh-high-ya - Loss
Indiana - Win
MD - Tossup
Rutgers - Win (barely)
MSU - Win (hopefully the team sends Cliff out with a win and the embarassment of losing to MSU in the past gets the team motivated)

Maybe that is optimistic at predicting 9-3. It will take some soul searching and possibly some lineup and scheme changes to make 9-3 a reality. Once reality sets in after a likely loss to Oh-high-ya I hope Franklin goes heavy with the younger players. Start Carter. Start Shelton at Right OT, See who can replace Sutherland that can actually tackle (how about one of the young Safety's),....

Glad that Illinois is not on this year's schedule as they would probably pound this year's PSU defense into submission, along with their QB running and making plays.

Any thoughts?
Your absolutely right, but i would put Indiana as a toss up as well. It’s an away game, PSU never plays well there, they were able to compete with Michigan a lot better than PSU

It's a loser mentality..
How about being good enough to not need calls. This LOS today is arguably worse than last year and that's saying something
Hard to believe how bad the line play was. We were lucky to not have 50 put up on us. This was 2016 all over. Absolutely no improvement in the trenches. Our D is super overrated. O just abysmal.

Reactions: scrivener

Oh-high-ya - Loss
Indiana - Win
MD - Tossup
Rutgers - Win (barely)

Any thoughts?
They still go 10-2. Our schedule is a joke

Oh-high-ya - Loss
Indiana - Win
MD - Tossup
Rutgers - Win (barely)

Any thoughts?
We could go 9-3 but the bigger picture here is we are back to the 70's in the B10 with O$U and scUM clearly way better than everyone else. We are an afterthought, irrelevant B10 program.

• Sad
1) Michigan kept our receivers out of the game.
2) PSU did not block for the run well at all.
3) Michigan did.

Are you dumb? You do know replays have different angles right?

and I’m not complaining about the refs. Was just wondering why there’s no replay.

Jesus Christ you are special

Just because they don't stop play to review doesn't mean it wasn't looked at. If Franklin thought it was a fumble he could have challenged or called timeout to give them more time to look and call for a review.

No it hasn't. Top player in the NFL is Parsons. We have a 5 star and another that will be all world.
2020 we got 4* Jacobs
2021 we got two 3* kids
That's not good enough

2022 we got 4* Carter
It's not good to rely on a true freshman

Hard to believe how bad the line play was. We were lucky to not have 50 put up on us. This was 2016 all over. Absolutely no improvement in the trenches. Our D is super overrated. O just abysmal.
The defense, unfortunately, has it's strength in the secondary and the front 7 is undersized, poor space eaters and bad tacklers. Our LB corps is beyond brutal and at DT, there isn't a single 'game wrecker' to use a JF term. Just a bunch of ok players. Hard way to win when JF whiffs annually up front

It's not that the DL is elite. They're not but the LBs were much worse. When they had space to make a room, which was often, they weren't in the right position because they took bad angles. That includes Jacobs. There's a lot of issues but it's odd you seem to be focused on the DL. The LBs are worse
Well…..Eldson thought it was a good idea to shoulder hit Corum rather than using his arms. Hard to know why anyone would think that’s a good idea. So….I’m not completely focused on the DL.

Well…..Eldson thought it was a good idea to shoulder hit Corum rather than using his arms. Hard to know why anyone would think that’s a good idea. So….I’m not completely focused on the DL.
Fair enough---Sutherland and Jacobs might have been the worst two players on the field for us today...at least defensively.

Reactions: tlbakernc
Do you need a blanket or a tissue or a hug?
Please accept reality that not all Penn State fans think beating Auburn (who lost again today) or Purdue is anything other than expected.
You are a Michigan fan. Again...worry about Stroud. That's an away game for u.

You are a Michigan fan. Again...worry about Stroud. That's an away game for u.
sorry far i think you've accused me of being a Michigan fan, a Pitt fan, an Ohio State fan and a Bama fan--who's next? Georgia since Smart is far superior as a coach than Franklin?

"2020 we got 4* Jacobs
2021 we got two 3* kids
That's not good enough"

Starting UM LB Michael Barrett was a three star 5-11, 208-pound Dual-Threat Quarterback.

Any questions? Can we stop this? It is scheme and development issues

Just good? Seriously?
Yeah. On the 35 yard punt he left them at their 30. If he drops them inside the 20 ( as he has done all year) maybe, just maybe we have a better chance at a stop. That was a missed opportunity.

He has been by far our most consistent player and he has exceeded all expectations. Today, their punter was better : )

We didn't win one aspect of today...punting included.

My question is at what point does this OL reach average. Good heavens they’re huge weak spots. Wallace is the the worst DI tackle I’ve seen in years. Possibly the worst OT I’ve ever seen at PSU. It’s embarrassing.

Yeah. On the 35 yard punt he left them at their 30. If he drops them inside the 20 ( as he has done all year) maybe, just maybe we have a better chance at a stop. That was a missed opportunity.

He has been by far our most consistent player and he has exceeded all expectations. Today, their punter was better : )

We didn't win one aspect of today...punting included.
Yeah, because a punter is always 100%. Good grief. Punting never affected today's game. Make sure you go on ESPN and the B1G Network and enlighten them on how our punting affected the game.

The defense, unfortunately, has it's strength in the secondary and the front 7 is undersized, poor space eaters and bad tacklers. Our LB corps is beyond brutal and at DT, there isn't a single 'game wrecker' to use a JF term. Just a bunch of ok players. Hard way to win when JF whiffs annually up front
The frustrating part is you see no sign of hope for the future with our line play. He can't develop the talent we do have.

Reactions: tlbakernc
OL has been a huge problem for so long that that should be reason enough to replace Franklin not extend him for an ungodly amount of years and money, with no realistic buyout provision. It would cost $63mm to buy him out after the season. He's here for the long haul.

Yeah, because a punter is always 100%. Good grief. Punting never affected today's game. Make sure you go on ESPN and the B1G Network and enlighten them on how our punting affected the game.
We lost in all facets of the game. Period. Nobody on our team exceeded their prior performances this year. We deservedly got slobberknocked. Punting was the last in a list of underperformance- I didn't say that is why we lost- but even he didn't have a great day. 43 yard average is a stat...but the key to his season has been placement inside the 20 and even 10. That has helped put our D in better pisitions to be successful. That didn't happen today.

How's that?

The frustrating part is you see no sign of hope for the future with our line play. He can't develop the talent we do have.
And, unless I'm mistaken, we don't have a single DT in the 23 class...ridiculous.

Galt. Needs to go. There I said it.
He did go. Retired after last season I believe........

But your point is well taken. PSU's lines do not look strong. The OL moves no one on a good defense and even the upper classmen LB's do not seem to be as strong at the point of contact as other teams.

PSU's RB's don't look as strong as the top teams. No one on PSU's team had guns like the UM starting RB, and he ran right through what seemed like a zillion tackles.......

And, unless I'm mistaken, we don't have a single DT in the 23 class...ridiculous.
Blanding from NY is the sole DT in the 2023 class so far. Only one DE as well.

Way too many scholarships used on WR's and DB's, who can actually come in and contribute relatively early, and too few used on the OL and at DT.

This PSU team, and the roster, does not look like it has the beef to sniff the B10 elite for years, sadly....

But your point is well taken. PSU's lines do not look strong. The OL moves no one on a good defense and even the upper classmen LB's do not seem to be as strong at the point of contact as other teams.

PSU's RB's don't look as strong as the top teams. No one on PSU's team had guns like the UM starting RB, and he ran right through what seemed like a zillion tackles.......
Exactly

Look at Singleton's arms. He's got no muscle definition. I don't know what it is, strength training, recruiting, practicing, whatever, but Franklin's teams have always lacked physical toughness. You can win against the Purdues and Rutgers of the world just by having superior athletes, but you will always lose to those who match your athletes like USC or to those who are more physical than you like Kentucky. I mean, how in the world does Kentucky have a better offensive line than Penn State? It's one thing to lose, but it's a whole different thing to lose allowing 400 rushing yards. 400 RUSHING YARDS!!!

Reactions: psu00
Blanding from NY is the sole DT in the 2023 class so far. Only one DE as well.

Way too many scholarships used on WR's and DB's, who can actually come in and contribute relatively early, and too few used on the OL and at DT.

This PSU team, and the roster, does not look like it has the beef to sniff the B10 elite for years, sadly....
ah, darn I forgot Blanding. ok one guy who probably won't matter. JF has whiffed on Christian Wilkins and others who would be the 'game wreckers' that he has labeled as a familiar term. DT and OL are the two positions he really hasn't had that "dude", that guy that just wreaks havoc. Hence, the two positions that dictate the LOS....go figure.

Reactions: PSUfiji
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT