ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Steen

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
Well here is a shout-out to Gary for the best match of his career. I think I might have seen him get the Ridge Riley award, let's hope so, he deserved it.

I have been a critic, but I can also tell you the pride welled up inside of me watching him with such a solid performance.

A+ on the day for such an outstanding match!

Last edited:
Week here is a shout-out to Gary for the best match of his career. I think I might have seen him get the Ridge Riley award, let's hope so, he deserved it.

I have been a critic, but I can also tell you the pride welled up inside of me watching him with such a solid performance.

A+ on the day for such an outstanding match!
Loved it. He did get the Ridge Riley award.

I enjoyed his post match interview. It's not the size of the dog in the fight...I'd love to see him deny Lee a pin on Friday..

He’s going to be a pretty good college wrestler someday. Glad to see some of that potential come out today.

But no reason to think he won’t have a very good career.

Reactions: mean15
This is in itself the issue with Social Media nowadays. Kid has to re-live every loss on various messageboards and facebook pages by dudes that never would last a full practice in that room. Give the kid time to grow, and adapt. This is not HS wrestling. Most kids don't come 'Big 10' ready out of the box.

This is in itself the issue with Social Media nowadays. Kid has to re-live every loss on various messageboards and facebook pages by dudes that never would last a full practice in that room. Give the kid time to grow, and adapt. This is not HS wrestling. Most kids don't come 'Big 10' ready out of the box.
Let me first say that I have never been with those that have criticized his wrestling or “not being Big10 ready”.

Most on here have said that he is a great wrestler that hasn’t yet filled out to the weight class and think if the 118 class still existed, he would be in the hunt for AA.

I was by no means as talented as these kids are today (We also didn’t have the coaching or the year round commitment to the sport), but even now nearly 50 years later I remember the distinctly different feel of the guys I was wrestling when I made the jump from 112/119 to 126. A lot of those guys were just much better filled out and far stronger than the lighter weights.

Reactions: wrestlingmind
He’s going to be a pretty good college wrestler someday. Glad to see some of that potential come out today.

But no reason to think he won’t have a very good career.
When will that day come? He's a junior right?

I like Steen and always have. He has great potential and I the coaches know it. Once Gary buys into what they are selling and adds some more muscle he's going to do just fine

What I have seen of Gary ,he needs to get stronger and allows opponents get his legs too much.

I like Steen and always have. He has great potential and I the coaches know it. Once Gary buys into what they are selling and adds some more muscle he's going to do just fine
I am trying not to be an ass hat, but what does "just fine" mean? What's the standard?

If it is simply code for we are beyond blessed and don't criticize any of our kids, then I get it.

To be brutally honest the PSU standard is points at nationals, and a team championship. Every weight should strive to AA and have a realistic shot to do so.

Gary is undersized, he definitely has talent, but next year if he qualifies that would show significant development. The year after blood round at best? I don't see AA potential by a long shot

Sub .500 or much worse vs our top 5 Big 10 opponents in Duals isn't really doing just fine at any of the weights.

I love the heart and his effort. He works just a hard as our hammers, and his starting on the best program in the country is a lifetime achievement the rest of us could only fantasize about.

That said if excellence is the measure he will never be just fine. Critiquing our squad is what this group collective of has been couch potatoes does. Harsher critiques from our lot does not make them untrue, nor unpatriotic. I will continue to enjoy Gary's journey and cheer as loud as any when he delivers like he did in spades a couple of weeks ago. He isn't the long term answer. Just fine might be next session or several years out, wrestling in another man's shoes.

I am trying not to be an ass hat, but what does "just fine" mean? What's the standard?

If it is simply code for we are beyond blessed and don't criticize any of our kids, then I get it.

To be brutally honest the PSU standard is points at nationals, and a team championship. Every weight should strive to AA and have a realistic shot to do so.

Gary is undersized, he definitely has talent, but next year if he qualifies that would show significant development. The year after blood round at best? I don't see AA potential by a long shot

Sub .500 or much worse vs our top 5 Big 10 opponents in Duals isn't really doing just fine at any of the weights.

I love the heart and his effort. He works just a hard as our hammers, and his starting on the best program in the country is a lifetime achievement the rest of us could only fantasize about.

That said if excellence is the measure he will never be just fine. Critiquing our squad is what this group collective of has been couch potatoes does. Harsher critiques from our lot does not make them untrue, nor unpatriotic. I will continue to enjoy Gary's journey and cheer as loud as any when he delivers like he did in spades a couple of weeks ago. He isn't the long term answer. Just fine might be next session or several years out, wrestling in another man's shoes.
It is what it is. He is currently a very good solid 118 pounder. Unfortunately there is no 118 weight class so he is forced to wrestle up a weight. If and when he can add 7 good pounds to become a 125 pounder, then look out. That'll take 2 years though.

It is what it is. He is currently a very good solid 118 pounder. Unfortunately there is no 118 weight class so he is forced to wrestle up a weight. If and when he can add 7 good pounds to become a 125 pounder, then look out. That'll take 2 years though.
Agreed.

Fandom can be as difficult as competing sometimes. If we love our current program because our team competes at a high level, is grateful for our blessings, and has fun doing it, shouldn't we hold those same values as fans?
If we don't, we are just hypocrites, no? An organization will last as long as its culture. If we don't, the minute we fail to reach the expected level of success on the mat, we will become another cesspool.
If we believe in our coaches and our team, lets be fans that our coaches and team is proud of. That should be our collective goal.

Fandom can be as difficult as competing sometimes. If we love our current program because our team competes at a high level, is grateful for our blessings, and has fun doing it, shouldn't we hold those same values as fans?
If we don't, we are just hypocrites, no? An organization will last as long as its culture. If we don't, the minute we fail to reach the expected level of success on the mat, we will become another cesspool.
If we believe in our coaches and our team, lets be fans that our coaches and team is proud of. That should be our collective goal.
You wrote this at 5? Fantastic !!!

You wrote this at 5? Fantastic !!!
I do my best work in the morning.
teeing up @amattaro
giphy.gif

What I have seen of Gary ,he needs to get stronger and allows opponents get his legs too much.
I agree, but those two issues are garden variety goals that I believe all wrestlers need to focus on. Wrestling 101 if you will. With the coaching staff we have, my guess is it has been addressed, but not yet accomplished.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
I agree, but those two issues are garden variety goals that I believe all wrestlers need to focus on. Wrestling 101 if you will. With the coaching staff we have, my guess is it has been addressed, but not yet accomplished.
Weight lifting and nutrition with growth in good weight. That's the only way and it's time consuming. 2 years most likely but we might see improvement by next January or so 🤔.
This is if the new recruit doesn't pan out next season or if they want to redshirt him.

Robbie is done unfortunately...some guys are simply injury prone.

POTY candidate

Reactions: KCLion and hlstone
I wonder how many years it will take for Steen to put on enough good size to compete at a high level at 125. Does anyone have an estimate?

If he quits wrestling and sits on his can, it will come naturally and quickly. Don't ask how I know.
I like your response, but I was fishing for someone else.

Weight lifting and nutrition with growth in good weight. That's the only way and it's time consuming. 2 years most likely but we might see improvement by next January or so 🤔.
This is if the new recruit doesn't pan out next season or if they want to redshirt him.

Robbie is done unfortunately...some guys are simply injury prone.
A shoulder injury and wrestling is a bad combination. I'm recovering from a clavicle broken in 3 pieces and a shoulder joint issue.
It is a very nasty injury. It doesn't help that I'm 61.😒

You could turn this into a nice Mission Statement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT