ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Steen

I do my best work in the morning.
teeing up @amattaro
giphy.gif
lol, before your wife wakes up!

This is in itself the issue with Social Media nowadays. Kid has to re-live every loss on various messageboards and facebook pages by dudes that never would last a full practice in that room. Give the kid time to grow, and adapt. This is not HS wrestling. Most kids don't come 'Big 10' ready out of the box.
He does not have to. He has a choice. I have not been on Facebook and probably never will. I realize in today's world it is difficult to ignore all the BS that is out there. This place is my only vice.

I fail to see how declaring Robbie's career to be over based on no information whatsoever is going to help the situation at 125 moving forward.
It's the same as Beau to 133. We r going to hear/read each take until 3 or 4 matches into next season.

I am trying not to be an ass hat, but what does "just fine" mean? What's the standard?

If it is simply code for we are beyond blessed and don't criticize any of our kids, then I get it.

To be brutally honest the PSU standard is points at nationals, and a team championship. Every weight should strive to AA and have a realistic shot to do so.

Gary is undersized, he definitely has talent, but next year if he qualifies that would show significant development. The year after blood round at best? I don't see AA potential by a long shot

Sub .500 or much worse vs our top 5 Big 10 opponents in Duals isn't really doing just fine at any of the weights.

I love the heart and his effort. He works just a hard as our hammers, and his starting on the best program in the country is a lifetime achievement the rest of us could only fantasize about.

That said if excellence is the measure he will never be just fine. Critiquing our squad is what this group collective of has been couch potatoes does. Harsher critiques from our lot does not make them untrue, nor unpatriotic. I will continue to enjoy Gary's journey and cheer as loud as any when he delivers like he did in spades a couple of weeks ago. He isn't the long term answer. Just fine might be next session or several years out, wrestling in another man's shoes.
I'm thinking just fine is making nationals and scoring a few points. I know he is undersized and this isn't the year but he room to improve so I haven't given up on him yet but I also agree with your points as well

Reactions: ccdiver
He does not have to. He has a choice. I have not been on Facebook and probably never will. I realize in today's world it is difficult to ignore all the BS that is out there. This place is my only vice.
Nobody is knocking Gary. It's basically unanimous thar he is a damn good wrestler who is not YET big enough to wrestle 125. It's basically unanimous that he is a damn good 118 pounder who is wrestling up a weight and therefore has lost more matches than he has won. It's also unanimous that if and when he adds the good weight to become a true 125 pounder that he will indeed win more than he loses and not only qualify for nationals but also score points when he does. Don't put words in our mouths please.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
The problem with this logic is that now you're putting the onus on the 18-22 year old college students to ignore what's being said about them, instead of calling on adults to be mature enough to show the slightest restraint in their criticisms of those very same students for not living up to the adult's expectations.

I'm thinking just fine is making nationals and scoring a few points. I know he is undersized and this isn't the year but he room to improve so I haven't given up on him yet but I also agree with your points as well
"scoring a few points" at nationals typically means all-american. if steen ever qualifies, i think that would be a success.

The problem with this logic is that now you're putting the onus on the 18-22 year old college students to ignore what's being said about them, instead of calling on adults to be mature enough to show the slightest restraint in their criticisms of those very same students for not living up to the adult's expectations.
You're both right.

Adults need to act better. Clearly.

AND social media is a choice. Guys who are disciplined in so many facets required for D1 wrestling, can either manage their social media activity or be managed by it.

Unfortunately, it's far more realistic for 18-22 year old college athletes to manage their time and emotions, than for a much larger pool of adults to manage theirs.

In a new article on Flo about Greg K. Gary says he is 135 lbs. Kirk can do a pull up with Gary hanging onto his back. But wondering about that statement and if true~~~135 lbs

This article is 🔥 via @FloSports App
https://www.flowrestling.org/articl...vliet-adding-muscle-to-back-end-of-psu-lineup

In a new article on Flo about Greg K. Gary says he is 135 lbs. Kirk can do a pull up with Gary hanging onto his back. But wondering about that statement and if true~~~135 lbs

This article is 🔥 via @FloSports App
https://www.flowrestling.org/articl...vliet-adding-muscle-to-back-end-of-psu-lineup
Well there goes the undersized conversation.

PS - I don't believe it. He doesn't pass the eye test to me, but if true
he should gain 10 more and go for 133 on that frame.

• Haha
Reactions: LHavenlion

He is a pretty slapped-together kid when I've seen him in person. I don't think he is small for this weight. Just takes time to adjust to the B10 schedule and competition. I think he is a lifetime 125 IMO.

He is a pretty slapped-together kid when I've seen him in person. I don't think he is small for this weight. Just takes time to adjust to the B10 schedule and competition. I think he is a lifetime 125 IMO.
he doesn't look that small to me. he's just not a good big ten starter. it's not like he was a killer in high school too.

Maybe. I was at 126 for all my college years primarily because I wasn't trying to get any bigger. After graduating, I started hitting the weight room and eating more consistently along with adopting more longer duration aerobic exercise like cycling. When I was 47, I was a lean 157 lbs. (< 11% body fat) Gary might be able to accelerate some body growth if he follows the right plan.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

Believe it. 135 is not big for a D1 125 at all and probably below average. This is not HS. At the lighter weights, I think a lot of people on this board would be surprised at how much wrestlers pull on a regular basis - even at PSU.

There is a LOT of incentive to compete at the end of the bell curve - even if you have someone like Spencer in the weight class. And a lot of guys are able to manage it enough to justify the performance trade-off in terms of risk-reward.

Nobody is knocking Gary. It's basically unanimous thar he is a damn good wrestler who is not YET big enough to wrestle 125. It's basically unanimous that he is a damn good 118 pounder who is wrestling up a weight and therefore has lost more matches than he has won. It's also unanimous that if and when he adds the good weight to become a true 125 pounder that he will indeed win more than he loses and not only qualify for nationals but also score points when he does. Don't put words in our mouths please.
Good Lord man. No one is putting anything in your mouth. I simply said he has a choice. If he chooses to get on social media and see some of the BS that is his prerogative. My response was not even to you. You are not that important. Go get some fresh air, and that is just a suggestion not for your mouth.

Maybe. I was at 126 for all my college years primarily because I wasn't trying to get any bigger. After graduating, I started hitting the weight room and eating more consistently along with adopting more longer duration aerobic exercise like cycling. When I was 47, I was a lean 157 lbs. (< 11% body fat) Gary might be able to accelerate some body growth if he follows the right plan.

I'm glad to see that you fixed your avatar. Are you going to Bako for the States final?

Good Lord man. No one is putting anything in your mouth. I simply said he has a choice. If he chooses to get on social media and see some of the BS that is his prerogative. My response was not even to you. You are not that important. Go get some fresh air, and that is just a suggestion not for your mouth.
I wasn't responding to you actually...it was to whoever you were responding to...my mistake.

Well this is why you give the benefit of doubt to folks. My bad. I'm not usually this ornery, could be that salad i had for lunch.
I obviously don't know jack $hit myself because here I am calling Gary a 118 pounder while he's walking around at 135....I don't know. He's had rough career so far but this is a freaking dynasty so the facts are that not everyone can be great...in this case 9 out of 10 ain't bad lol 😉 😀 😜

I obviously don't know jack $hit myself because here I am calling Gary a 118 pounder while he's walking around at 135....I don't know. He's had rough career so far but this is a freaking dynasty so the facts are that not everyone can be great...in this case 9 out of 10 ain't bad lol 😉 😀 😜
Being a GOOD Big Ten wrestler is hard. A guy can be a very good wrestler, but you are talking about being competitive with the best wrestlers there are.

Everyone wants guys to be among the best, and I am sure many feel Penn State should be able to have a top 20 guy at every weight class. sometimes you just don't and maybe it takes a guy 4 years to learn to be an NCAA wrestler. Every jump in level is a huge jump.

Being a GOOD Big Ten wrestler is hard. A guy can be a very good wrestler, but you are talking about being competitive with the best wrestlers there are.

Everyone wants guys to be among the best, and I am sure many feel Penn State should be able to have a top 20 guy at every weight class. sometimes you just don't and maybe it takes a guy 4 years to learn to be an NCAA wrestler. Every jump in level is a huge jump.
And then there is this: Remember Gary is a back up. He is Robbies back up. Schriever is iowas backup and although he has fared better than Gary I would propose that he would score exactly the same number of points at nationals as Gary. Zero.

We are treating this as if Gary is the guy and he isn't...he is the back up.

And then there is this: Remember Gary is a back up. He is Robbies back up. Schriever is iowas backup and although he has fared better than Gary I would propose that he would score exactly the same number of points at nationals as Gary. Zero.

We are treating this as if Gary is the guy and he isn't...he is the back up.
Very few seem to remember that.

Reactions: Psugo823

Being a B1G wrestler AT ALL is hard AF. Steen is a two time PIAA state champ, and we're talking about him like he's the black sheep of PSU wrestling. TWO TIME STATE CHAMP and it doesn't translate to winning in this conference. There are 10 B1G wrestlers in the top 20 in the country at 125. We're splitting hairs about who is getting what points at nationals, but the discussion is all relative. I think everyone here recognizes that you're not even going out there on the mat in this conference unless you are really, really, REALLY good.

Being a B1G wrestler AT ALL is hard AF. Steen is a two time PIAA state champ, and we're talking about him like he's the black sheep of PSU wrestling. TWO TIME STATE CHAMP and it doesn't translate to winning in this conference. There are 10 B1G wrestlers in the top 20 in the country at 125. We're splitting hairs about who is getting what points at nationals, but the discussion is all relative. I think everyone here recognizes that you're not even going out there on the mat in this conference unless you are really, really, REALLY good.
To put it in perspective, Bordo and I were wrestling state champions from other states in the intramural tournament while at PSU in the early 80s.

Yeah, we are all judge, jury and executioner on these boards. I am guilty of as much. In my prime I was a really good baseball player and a pretty terrible wrestler. An honest critique of my wrestling career would not be kind, and I probably could do the same about baseball.

In most team sports the rest of the team can mask some individual limitations. In wrestling there is nothing but truth, going at it one on one. If the other guy is better, it's event and on display for all to see.

The NCAAs are the absolute pinnacle for Folkstyle, and the Big 10, the best of the best, and the PSU program maybe the best in history. There are a lot of multi-time state champs that never crack the starting lineup in the NCAA. At the end of the day Gary has accomplished far more than the rest of us, and is a damned good wrestler. The top 32 are just better, and it certainly doesn't help having the spotlight of being on the best program in decades, shining bright on each kid, expecting elite greatness from all.

I am sure Gary and others in the program will be the subject of criticism in the future from me and others. Unfair, maybe not. Purposeful and respectful, I don't think so.

What I can tell you, if I ever run into a PSU wrestling alum out in public, national champion or room guy, I will buy him a beer with total admiration in my heart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Random4598375
I'm glad to see that you fixed your avatar. Are you going to Bako for the States final?
Not sure yet. We're almost there - the season goes pretty fast when you aren't cutting weight! I have friends from San Diego who are always there, so it would be good to see them again. How about you?

To put it in perspective, Bordo and I were wrestling state champions from other states in the intramural tournament while at PSU in the early 80s.
Actually one PA State Champ (TKE) and one PA AAA State runner-up from Conestoga Valley. There was another State Champ from out of PA, but honestly we never really counted that.

Reactions: KCLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT