ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia boards saying Justin Fields told coaches he's transferring

I thought I saw he was being granted a waiver. Why transfer to OSU to sit out a year and play in 2020 when he could be the starting QB at UGA in 2020. It's a headscratcher.

IMO, you should be able to transfer without losing a year of eligibility but should still sit a year (unless for a very good reason). Once the floodgates open, it's going to be free agency every year for every player who doesn't like their PT, etc.

IMO, you should be able to transfer without losing a year of eligibility but should still sit a year (unless for a very good reason). Once the floodgates open, it's going to be free agency every year for every player who doesn't like their PT, etc.

Yeah God forbid kids get to decide where they play football

Yeah God forbid kids get to decide where they play football

They do get to decide - after that, there has to be some sort of rule to prevent absolute chaos. I'm all for paying players too - give them a contract. But, if every butthurt 5* player decides he wants to transfer to a better team, or the lowly 2 star who develops into a stud (think Josh Allen) does the same after a breakout season, what the F is the point? Just get rid of the 85 scholarship limit already too then. F it.

They do get to decide - after that, there has to be some sort of rule to prevent absolute chaos. I'm all for paying players too - give them a contract. But, if every butthurt 5* player decides he wants to transfer to a better team, or the lowly 2 star who develops into a stud (think Josh Allen) does the same after a breakout season, what the F is the point? Just get rid of the 85 scholarship limit already too then. F it.

You mean like the coaches who get paid and have a contract and get to change their mind whenever they get 'butthurt'? That kind of chaos?

You mean like the coaches who get paid and have a contract and get to change their mind whenever they get 'butthurt'? That kind of chaos?

IMO, if a coach leaves, any recruit on the roster should be eligible to transfer and any pending letters of intent should also be cancelled at the student's discretion. Conversely, do you believe a new HC should be able to boot kids off the roster because he didn't recruit them? There has to be some kind of balance/rule to protect players, coaches, and institutions. The 'sit a year' rule forces kids to think about whether or not a transfer is worth it. They can still transfer to 1AA if they're hellbent on playing right away. I also believe a student should be able to transfer and not lose a year of eligibility or have to have a 'release' from the losing school. Joe blocked transfers in his day and make an example out of some kids as a result. Again, balance.

IMO, if a coach leaves, any recruit on the roster should be eligible to transfer and any pending letters of intent should also be cancelled at the student's discretion. Conversely, do you believe a new HC should be able to boot kids off the roster because he didn't recruit them? There has to be some kind of balance/rule to protect players, coaches, and institutions. The 'sit a year' rule forces kids to think about whether or not a transfer is worth it. They can still transfer to 1AA if they're hellbent on playing right away. I also believe a student should be able to transfer and not lose a year of eligibility or have to have a 'release' from the losing school. Joe blocked transfers in his day and make an example out of some kids as a result. Again, balance.

Coaches and institutions don't need to be protected. Coaches are being paid a ton of money- if they don't want to deal with this new world they can go to the NFL or become a gym teacher. Kids shouldn't have to decide if its 'worth it'. If they want to go play someplace else, and that coach wants them, they should be able to go

I know change is scary, but it will be ok

Reactions: Raffycorn
Coaches and institutions don't need to be protected. Coaches are being paid a ton of money- if they don't want to deal with this new world they can go to the NFL or become a gym teacher. Kids shouldn't have to decide if its 'worth it'. If they want to go play someplace else, and that coach wants them, they should be able to go

I know change is scary, but it will be ok

Right, so rules are worthless and should be ignored. Awesome. Let's keep letting everyone do what they want when they want. Perfect. What could go wrong?

Some baseball guys have millions waiting for them when they leave college

Difference there is a baseball prospect can sign a pro contract pretty much whenever he wants, like A&M's Kyler Murray did. Sure, he can't play college baseball, but so what? He's $4.6mm richer.

Reactions: eidolon21
Difference there is a baseball prospect can sign a pro contract pretty much whenever he wants, like A&M's Kyler Murray did. Sure, he can't play college baseball, but so what? He's $4.6mm richer.
Not really. Once he shows up on a college campus he’s not eligible to be drafted for 3 years.

You asked what other sports do college players have multi-million dollar contracts waiting for them. Baseball.

Not really. Once he shows up on a college campus he’s not eligible to be drafted for 3 years.

You asked what other sports do college players have multi-million dollar contracts waiting for them. Baseball.

Ok. That doesn't refute my claim that a pro baseball prospect can be drafted/sign a contract pretty much whenever he wants. The difference is baseball has a farm system that doesn't require they play college baseball. The NFL doesn't. You will probably never be drafted/sign a pro contract in football if you don't go to college. Nowhere near the same thing in baseball. Seven of the top thirteen prospects taken in the 2018 draft were high schoolers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eidolon21
FWIW, I think the first black quarterback in UGA history immediately being called the n-word by a fellow student athlete is evidence enough of a hostile environment.

Fields was not UGA's first black Quarterback.

I may be far-fetched on this, but when those floodgates do open, what's to stop a group of highly-talented athletes from making it known they want to transfer to the same school? Like you state, it's free agency. Get 5-6 making it known early enough in the process and you start building a power house via transfers. You know there is a coach who will take the highly talented over the lower star recruits who have committed (say, processing).

OL

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I wonder if Penn State could have found a couple of disgruntled OT's when we didn't have the time to develop Paris Palmer. What about the year of the decimated LB corps . I bet we could have picked up a few LB's.
The more i look back at things Michigan & Ohio St. have really caused a lot of problems in CFB, they don't have the patience to develop a team and it's win at all costs .

Reactions: odshowtime
Yes, ones that are similar in nature to what is essentially free agency in college football. I'm sure there are many.

Free agency in the NFL
Free agency in the NBA
Free agency in the MLB
Free agency in the NHL
Free agency in every other professional sports league
No sitting out in 'non revenue' sports in college
Free transfers of 'regular' students

How many more you want?

Free agency in the NFL
Free agency in the NBA
Free agency in the MLB
Free agency in the NHL
Free agency in every other professional sports league
No sitting out in 'non revenue' sports in college
Free transfers of 'regular' students

How many more you want?

Well, those all have rules, contracts, labor agreements, and ‘franchise tags’ to deal with. Will we have those in college football? You suggested letting kids do whatever they want when they want. Can pro football players do that without consequence?

Reactions: WDLion
Well, those all have rules, contracts, labor agreements, and ‘franchise tags’ to deal with. Will we have those in college football? You suggested letting kids do whatever they want when they want. Can pro football players do that without consequence?

The transfer portal opens on X date
Players register for the portal
Players can reach out to coaches via the portal
Players may transfer when they find a fit they prefer
The transfer portal closes on Y date

Its really not hard. But you can keep pretending like it is, since you don't want it to happen, if you like

The transfer portal opens on X date
Players register for the portal
Players can reach out to coaches via the portal
Players may transfer when they find a fit they prefer
The transfer portal closes on Y date

Its really not hard. But you can keep pretending like it is, since you don't want it to happen, if you like

It will be when there are 100 or more players doing it. But keep pretending it won’t be since you’re an advocate for player’s rights above all.

Reactions: 81b&w

Ok. Imagine being Franklin and after our season having four juniors go pro, and let’s say Parsons, Shorter, Slade, Luketa, Wade, Clifford, and Hamler enter the transfer pool. Then imagine it at 25 or more schools. I’m all for paying these guys and letting them do what’s best for them, but there has to be a sensible system in place.

Ok. Imagine being Franklin and after our season having four juniors go pro, and let’s say Parsons, Shorter, Slade, Luketa, Wade, Clifford, and Hamler enter the transfer pool. Then imagine it at 25 or more schools. I’m all for paying these guys and letting them do what’s best for them, but there has to be a sensible system in place.

Ok last post on this: If 8 of his stud underclassmen want to transfer Franklin should probably be fired.

Take care

How about at halftime, if they are losing? Can they switch teams then?

Simple. Pay them and sign them to contracts that define terms of employment. Whether they unionize is TBD, but it makes life considerably easier.

Simple. Pay them and sign them to contracts that define terms of employment. Whether they unionize is TBD, but it makes life considerably easier.

Totally agree.

I've said this before and I guess I'll repeat it again. Remember when our entire roster was allowed to be free agents? And they let them play right away if they left? And they allowed schools to go over the limit to take our players? And our players were told our school was toxic? And our players weren't allowed to play in a bowl game?

How many guys left then? Or the next offseason when those same rules applied?

Seriously, the scholarship limit acts similar to the salary cap in pro sports with a cap. Could add a limit the number of transfers a school can take similar to the LOI limit and the total scholarship limit if things get out of hand. But I doubt they will.

Reactions: nittnee
But coaches often have to pay to buyout a leave. Are the players going to have to pay back their scholarship?

Last edited:
I've said this before and I guess I'll repeat it again. Remember when our entire roster was allowed to be free agents? And they let them play right away if they left? And they allowed schools to go over the limit to take our players? And our players were told our school was toxic? And our players weren't allowed to play in a bowl game?

How many guys left then? Or the next offseason when those same rules applied?

Seriously, the scholarship limit acts similar to the salary cap in pro sports with a cap. Could add a limit the number of transfers a school can take similar to the LOI limit and the total scholarship limit if things get out of hand. But I doubt they will.

I think something like fifteen total, not including the four recruits who bailed and signed with OSU.

Fortt, Redd, Nowicki, Haplea, Bolden, Brown, Fera, Kersey, Pollard, Thomas. Not to mention guys like Jones, Royer, and Graham who left the program at the same time for other reasons.

Yeah - that didn't hurt.

Fortt, Redd, Nowicki, Haplea, Bolden, Brown, Fera, Kersey, Pollard, Thomas. Not to mention guys like Jones, Royer, and Graham who left the program at the same time for other reasons.

Yeah - that didn't hurt.

Fortt, Redd, Brown and Fera were the only that hurt. Kersey? He left for personal reasons. Nowicki stunk. We didn't miss Haplea at all -- we had numerous better players at that position on the roster.

My point is that with all of those other things in play, above and beyond just "I'm not happy with my playing time or my coach", we still had a roster that went 8-4 and should have gone 10-2 (won the first two games).

Plus, in the current scenario, we'd be able to take in transfers from elsewhere as well. And nobody can go over the 85 to take players either.

Limit the number of transfers any school can take and the number leaving is limited as well, simply by having no place to go.

Reactions: odshowtime
Fortt, Redd, Brown and Fera were the only that hurt. Kersey? He left for personal reasons. Nowicki stunk. We didn't miss Haplea at all -- we had numerous better players at that position on the roster.

My point is that with all of those other things in play, above and beyond just "I'm not happy with my playing time or my coach", we still had a roster that went 8-4 and should have gone 10-2 (won the first two games).

Plus, in the current scenario, we'd be able to take in transfers from elsewhere as well. And nobody can go over the 85 to take players either.

Limit the number of transfers any school can take and the number leaving is limited as well, simply by having no place to go.

But, limiting the number of transfers a school can take denies players the right to do or go where they want. Let's say there are a dozen kids who want to go to Bama, or want to play for a new coach at a school they didn't previously consider. Can't Saban simply process 12 players to make room? What about those players? They now have to find new schools. And I don't know that I would use our situation in 2011/12 to predict how things would go if you allowed any player to enter the transfer pool at any time without consequence. You have to have some kind of rules in place to keep everything from becoming a free for all. Limiting the number of transfers a school can accept I don't think would work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT