ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia boards saying Justin Fields told coaches he's transferring

Understand the initial "Hey, come back!" excitement...
but do not understand maintained excitement after actually considering the two most likely scenarios:
1. A transfer to a rival. (a net negative for PSU)
and
2. A transfer to a team that PSU does not play (which would be neutral)

but do not understand maintained excitement after actually considering the two most likely scenarios:
and
Going to a rival is worst case scenario. However, if he thinks he's walking into that OSU dressing room and becoming the starting QB, good luck. Might be a more difficult situation than staying at Georgia. UF, FSU or MSU seem like good spots for him.

and

I'm just interested to see what the guy does because it can greatly impact FBS over the next couple years. It's not just about Penn State

Going to a rival is worst case scenario. However, if he thinks he's walking into that OSU dressing room and becoming the starting QB, good luck. Might be a more difficult situation than staying at Georgia. UF, FSU or MSU seem like good spots for him.
Now that you mention MSU, there IS a connection there ironically.

And wherever he goes another big time QB will be transferring. Maybe not right away but in a year. Clifford would probably leave PSU if Fields beat him out, Martell would do the same. Domino effect.

Its all rumors at this point, the media just connecting dots and throwing mud in hopes they are right with one of their 5 options. PSU, sure he was committed. MSU, sure he knows Moorhead. FSU, sure he considered them to the end. OSU, sure opening at QB big time program, OU, same with big time offensive coach. This isn't rocket science to piece these rumors together. Even heard Colorado because UGA coaches are going there as DC got the HC job in Boulder. OSU fans getting so giddy are more than likely going to be very disappointed, I guess they don't think much of Martell.

Decision making is an essential part of being a good QB.

I'm wondering whether Fields is deficient in that area, both from his initial recruitment, and this latest saga.

I don't see how they could be a this stage, purely speculative this soon.

And it means Haskins is going pro and Martell would transfer so not even worried. Ask UGA fans about Fields and they said he wasn't that good when he was in there last year and shouldn't have ever been on the field. He was nowhere near ready but UGA promised him he would play so he had to.

Reactions: PennState_one
Decision making is an essential part of being a good QB.

I'm wondering whether Fields is deficient in that area, both from his initial recruitment, and this latest saga.

UGA fans say he had no idea how to read a defense this year when he got in game and wasn't as fast running as they thought.

Reactions: royboy
UGA fans say he had no idea how to read a defense this year when he got in game and wasn't as fast running as they thought.

Just because he was 5 stars in high school doesn't mean he will be 5 stars in college, rarely does that happen, often it doesn't come close.

Unless he shows dramatic improvement from what he showed this year he isn't ready to be OSU's day 1 starter in 2019, if he indeed goes there.

Probably true. I wouldn't be shocked if they eliminate the "sit out rule" sooner than later.

i keep thinking about no-compete clauses, competitive intelligence stuff. It works in the business world where you trade your soul for cash... presuming you want the job. How is it different here? He takes a job and gets paid (free R/B and education and all kinds of other perks).

If he can leave, say PSU, after one full year and go to osu the next and play, he brings with him an incredible amount of information not so easily gleaned from watching film. Perhpas in the old days when there was some sense of honor, coaches might not listen to anything he had to say... highly doubt it in today's CFB world.

[Maybe he knows so/so can't catch if they force him this way or that and pop him high... he's seen it in practice, no one has really seen it yet on film, and that receiver is starting this year... or a soon to be starting RB can be easily trash talked into doing really stupid stuff.. and so forth. Maybe he knows what the coaches know about osu and can provide info to osu coaches about tendencies we've spotted about them, etc.]

IMO, if they can enforce no-competes, i can't really see how this is different.

Kid wants to take a job at another company (school), he has to wait a year. Frankly, he shouldn't even be allowed to be part of the team where despite not playing he can still share information.. You can't go to a competitor in any capacity in business (where an agreement is in place) and just hang out there under the guise of 'well, i kept my mouth shut.'

So for me, this whole transfer thing is BS. A kid wants a change of venue, no problem. He sits out for a full year... and i mean he SITS OUT. No contact. Go get some good grades... go play school. See ya next season.

Yeah, I suspect a legal eagle will explain the difference to me.. :)

i keep thinking about no-compete clauses, competitive intelligence stuff. It works in the business world where you trade your soul for cash... presuming you want the job. How is it different here? He takes a job and gets paid (free R/B and education and all kinds of other perks).

If he can leave, say PSU, after one full year and go to osu the next and play, he brings with him an incredible amount of information not so easily gleaned from watching film. Perhpas in the old days when there was some sense of honor, coaches might not listen to anything he had to say... highly doubt it in today's CFB world.

[Maybe he knows so/so can't catch if they force him this way or that and pop him high... he's seen it in practice, no one has really seen it yet on film, and that receiver is starting this year... or a soon to be starting RB can be easily trash talked into doing really stupid stuff.. and so forth. Maybe he knows what the coaches know about osu and can provide info to osu coaches about tendencies we've spotted about them, etc.]

IMO, if they can enforce no-competes, i can't really see how this is different.

Kid wants to take a job at another company (school), he has to wait a year. Frankly, he shouldn't even be allowed to be part of the team where despite not playing he can still share information.. You can't go to a competitor in any capacity in business (where an agreement is in place) and just hang out there under the guise of 'well, i kept my mouth shut.'

So for me, this whole transfer thing is BS. A kid wants a change of venue, no problem. He sits out for a full year... and i mean he SITS OUT. No contact. Go get some good grades... go play school. See ya next season.

Yeah, I suspect a legal eagle will explain the difference to me.. :)

Problem is that the NCAA and the schools have always maintained before the courts that athletes are not employees, but "students." Probably not a good idea for them to switch course, though that might become moot in a few months.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I read late last night that he has retained Shea Patterson's lawyer and that the racial epitaph directed at him by a baseball player has impacted his ability to play baseball at UGA and that harms his potential to play pro baseball.

I read late last night that he has retained Shea Patterson's lawyer and that the racial epitaph directed at him by a baseball player has impacted his ability to play baseball at UGA and that harms his potential to play pro baseball.
I’m wondering if it would have had the same impact on his baseball career if he had won the starting QB job over Fromm. Would he still be looking to transfer due to that horrible, life changing racial comment?

Unbelievable that the NCAA doesn't block this type of transfer BS. The school of under-the-table money strikes again. They have - by far - the best bagmen in the country.

So he might be granted immediate eligibility because some goober (who has played for the Ohio Warhawks) apparently used a racial slur when he wanted Fields to be put into a game?

Delaney logic: It’s only fair that he be granted emediate elegibilty to balance out Patterson to Michigan. He wouldn’t want it to appear that he’s showing favoritism.

Reactions: odshowtime
When did transferring and not sitting become a thing? What are the exemptions?
An arbitrarily enforced rule that comes to the correct conclusion (in this case, immediate eligibility) is better than an arbitrarily enforced rule that does the opposite.

It’s clear that the NCAA is eventually going to (and should) get rid of the hardship exemption for football and basketball and make it so that athletes can transfer without losing eligibility, just like every other NCAA sport. It sucks that a player as good as Fields looks headed to play for our biggest on-field rival, but I don’t think it sucks if he gets immediate eligibility because it’s the only right thing to do by the players.

Fields will say he is no longer able to play baseball at UGA due to a hostile environment on the baseball team. No one will want to challenge that. Needs to transfer-no fault of his own.
Was he going to be on the baseball roster at UGA? If so, that adds an interesting wrinkle. FWIW, I think the first black quarterback in UGA history immediately being called the n-word by a fellow student athlete is evidence enough of a hostile environment. It’s inherent.

An arbitrarily enforced rule that comes to the correct conclusion (in this case, immediate eligibility) is better than an arbitrarily enforced rule that does the opposite.

It’s clear that the NCAA is eventually going to (and should) get rid of the hardship exemption for football and basketball and make it so that athletes can transfer without losing eligibility, just like every other NCAA sport. It sucks that a player as good as Fields looks headed to play for our biggest on-field rival, but I don’t think it sucks if he gets immediate eligibility because it’s the only right thing to do by the players.

That will be a total sh*tshow.

When did transferring and not sitting become a thing? What are the exemptions?

I thought I saw he was being granted a waiver. Why transfer to OSU to sit out a year and play in 2020 when he could be the starting QB at UGA in 2020. It's a headscratcher.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT