ADVERTISEMENT

Here's the thing. PSU is going to get even better. You could see the team growing...

I don't know. I feel like they lost more than we won. we can't expect a kid to drop three shotgun snaps in a half. that cost pitt, potentially, 13 points. Then add in the screwed up coin toss and 120 yards in penalties on a dreary, rainy night and Pitt totally collapses.

Yep, we show flashes at RB and WR. We are growing on the DL, LB and even in the defensive backfield. We are a very young and inexperienced team, for the most part. But what disturbs me about Pitt is that they beat themselves. That is more sad for Pitt fans than just getting beat. But it is a little disturbing to me. If Pitt had played a complete game, it would have been close IMHO>

I don't know. I feel like they lost more than we won. we can't expect a kid to drop three shotgun snaps in a half. that cost pitt, potentially, 13 points. Then add in the screwed up coin toss and 120 yards in penalties on a dreary, rainy night and Pitt totally collapses.

Yep, we show flashes at RB and WR. We are growing on the DL, LB and even in the defensive backfield. We are a very young and inexperienced team, for the most part. But what disturbs me about Pitt is that they beat themselves. That is more sad for Pitt fans than just getting beat. But it is a little disturbing to me. If Pitt had played a complete game, it would have been close IMHO>
I suppose you could say that about any losing team in any game. Sometimes teams don't play a complete game because of the opponent. Look, it was clear even when close that PSU had the better players. Some adjustments were made at half time, Pitt couldn't move the ball an inch and the rout was on. Give PSU credit. They beat a team they were favored by a TD over by 45 points. I'll add one more thing. We could play this Pitt team 10 times and likely win all 10.

The same logic could be applied to PSU as well. Take away a couple crucial penalties and multiple dropped passes, our guys could have scored 60. Also, the final score was 51-6. A team can't get blown out like that and claim they beat themselves.

It's a mistake to get too carried away with expectations after that game just like it was a mistake to do so after the App State game. That is a bad Pitt team and PSU had many fortunate breaks. The win was encouraging for sure, but it's safe to assume there will be struggles this season.

It's a mistake to get too carried away with expectations after that game just like it was a mistake to do so after the App State game. That is a bad Pitt team and PSU had many fortunate breaks. The win was encouraging for sure, but it's safe to assume there will be struggles this season.
It's even safer to assume that this team is going to be damn good sooner rather than later.

Wow, I am surprised at this post, Obli as you have a good pulse on the team. If you view the events that unfolded as the reason PS was able to walk-off, OK, I hear you, but the adjustments and talent were destined to take over the PS. This team is pretty damn good and as Howie said, only going to get better.

....throughout the Pitt game. When the young Nittany Lions gel, and it's already beginning to happen, this team is going to be one helluva tough out.

I believe that if PSU finds a way to beat OSU on 9/29, we will run the table, win the B1G and be in our first of hopefully many playoff births.
Agree the team showed improvement on D, but still a long way to go. Pitt’s passing game was non existent, so we were able to take advantage of them being one dimensional. We are pretty good on offense, but dropped way too many balls. Still very young and inexperienced on defense but improving. Pitt pretty much quit after the punt return for a TD.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I'm not sure how fast we grow at the Dline and Linebacker positions. It will be tough to beat OSU and Wisky without strong linebackers. Farmer has been disappointing. Parsons will be good but he's still a little lost out there. Fortunately we have two more games to get ready.

Hopefully we'll get our passing game going a little more. Our third down conversion percentage is pathetic. Staying off the field would really help our young front 7 on defense.

I'm not sure how fast we grow at the Dline and Linebacker positions. It will be tough to beat OSU and Wisky without strong linebackers. Farmer has been disappointing. Parsons will be good but he's still a little lost out there. Fortunately we have two more games to get ready.

Hopefully we'll get our passing game going a little more. Our third down conversion percentage is pathetic. Staying off the field would really help our young front 7 on defense.
Dropped passes will do that.

To paraphrase someone wise who once said something similar, “you’re not as good as you think you are when you blow out Pitt, and you’re not as bad as you think you are when you need OT against App State”.....
Very true. Nonetheless, I think this team is going to be stellar before the season is out and I think we're going to make some pretty good teams look bad. Just my gut.

Reactions: psuken and BBrown
....throughout the Pitt game. When the young Nittany Lions gel, and it's already beginning to happen, this team is going to be one helluva tough out.

I believe that if PSU finds a way to beat OSU on 9/29, we will run the table, win the B1G and be in our first of hopefully many playoff births.

Agree that we are going to be pretty good but
Pitt is really bad.

Nitpicking here but I didn't like the fact that when we were up a few scores that Rahne decided to throw on 1st, 2nd, downs a few times. Maybe that's just the RPO but I would have liked to see us pound the ball a little more to set up the pass and give our young D a little rest. JF has to recognize this and has said 3 and outs are brutal or something to that effect. Especially when your D is young and inexperienced. I don't want them on the field as much so that they can be fresh in the 4th.

I suppose you could say that about any losing team in any game. Sometimes teams don't play a complete game because of the opponent. Look, it was clear even when close that PSU had the better players. Some adjustments were made at half time, Pitt couldn't move the ball an inch and the rout was on. Give PSU credit. They beat a team they were favored by a TD over by 45 points. I'll add one more thing. We could play this Pitt team 10 times and likely win all 10.

There's no doubt that PSU had better players but Pitt was really bad. I don't think PSU had much to do with their fumbled shotgun snaps and personal foul penalties.

I agree 100% that PSU is going to get better. Hansard, Shelton, and Jordan are getting much needed reps at DT. Parson's, Matos, and Wade should improve, and the OL should start to gel. The return of Stevens and Simmons will also help. That said, I don't think we're as bad as a lot of people feared after the App State game and we're not as good as some people think after the Pitt game.

Agree that we are going to be pretty good but
Pitt is really bad.
I know. But NOW everyone is saying Pitt is bad, while before the game everyone was nervous about them. Good teams expose bad teams. We have a good team and we took it to them. If Pitt is bad, we did what we should do, i.e. beat them by 45.

Wow, I came away with a way different take than you did.
Yes their ST collapsed but they also couldn't move the ball at all after the staff "tweaked" the DE's.
You can't beat a team 51-6 and say the other team lost it more than we won it.

There's no doubt that PSU had better players but Pitt was really bad. I don't think PSU had much to do with their fumbled shotgun snaps and personal foul penalties.

I agree 100% that PSU is going to get better. Hansard, Shelton, and Jordan are getting much needed reps at DT. Parson's, Matos, and Wade should improve, and the OL should start to gel. The return of Stevens and Simmons will also help. That said, I don't think we're as bad as a lot of people feared after the App State game and we're not as good as some people think after the Pitt game.
Yeah, I just wonder where the multitudes were saying how bad Pitt was BEFORE the game. Could scarcely find someone.

Reactions: nittnee
Not sure what early departures will look like, if any, but we will be returning the vast majority of our starting depth chart next year.

Seniors:
Offensive starters - 3 (Trace, Wright, and Thompkins)
Defensive starters - 3 (Oruwariye, Farmer, and Scott)
Special starters - 1 (Thompkins on punt returns)

I know. But NOW everyone is saying Pitt is bad, while before the game everyone was nervous about them. Good teams expose bad teams. We have a good team and we took it to them. If Pitt is bad, we did what we should do, i.e. beat them by 45.

Hey I will fully admit I was nervous before the game. I hadn't seen pitt play since last year and they had a very Sr. heavy team. So I wasn't sure what we would get. I had no idea that pitt has that bad of talent. I mean it was akin to our Dark years teams but without the stellar defense we had.
At no point in the game did I think they could complete a pass for more than 10 yards.
They are bad but we made them look really, really bad.

Yeah, I just wonder where the multitudes were saying how bad Pitt was BEFORE the game. Could scarcely find someone.
We didn't know anything about them except for Albany which was meaningless. They have a lot of senior starters but several of those are CC transfers. Who knew how good or bad they were going to be?

Reactions: BBrown
Nitpicking here but I didn't like the fact that when we were up a few scores that Rahne decided to throw on 1st, 2nd, downs a few times. Maybe that's just the RPO but I would have liked to see us pound the ball a little more to set up the pass and give our young D a little rest. JF has to recognize this and has said 3 and outs are brutal or something to that effect. Especially when your D is young and inexperienced. I don't want them on the field as much so that they can be fresh in the 4th.

Yep, complementary football.

We didn't know anything about them except for Albany which was meaningless. They have a lot of senior starters but several of those are CC transfers. Who knew how good or bad they were going to be?
Nobody, but many were truly nervous about them.

Reactions: nittnee
To paraphrase someone wise who once said something similar, “you’re not as good as you think you are when you blow out Pitt, and you’re not as bad as you think you are when you need OT against App State”.....
I didn't think the App State win was "bad". To me it was the perfect opener- a tough grind it out win over a good team that was playing over their heads all day. Lots of teams quit under those circumstances, this team didn't.

The win over Pitt? Same as a win over Akron- and a win is a win.

I think we're 2-0.

Yes their ST collapsed but they also couldn't move the ball at all after the staff "tweaked" the DE's.

Pitt = Complete incompetence on special teams. The punter/holder killed them. They were unable to recover, and it led to poor coaching decisions by their head coach.

Reactions: indynittany
If Pitt had played a complete game, it would have been close IMHO

The preseason line was under two touchdowns. After week one it dropped into single digits. Yeah Pitt imploded some in the first half (they also were recipients of some questionable calls and non calls). But we made adjustments and were able to stop them the entire second half -- when it was still a close game and after it became a blowout.

They missed a FG, we missed a FG.

They should have taken advantage of the field position from the Slade fumble. They didn't. We stopped them. Win for us. I don't think Pitt got more than 100 yards total offense from that point forward.

Their punter dropping the snap was really the only huge break of the game. And the better team usually gets those. I'm not sweating this at all. Big win, I'll take it.

Pitt was going to lose the game long before the special teams gaffes. When they had played as well as they could in the 1st half and were still losing 14-6, you knew it wasn't going to end well for them.

The Pitt D quit in the 2nd half, no question, they gave it up pretty early. But the Pitt O was simply overwhelmed by bigger, stronger, faster players at every single position. It's an incredibly young D but an incredibly athletic D, you just can't deny that if you watch the 3rd quarter of this game. They just have waves of long, lanky, fast, explosive defenders; half the time they have no idea where to be, but when they do get there, they make plays.

I wasn't totally panicked by the 1st week and I'm not totally reassured by this week, but the week 1-week 2 delta is pretty darn good. Two more weeks to assess and 3 more weeks of practice and games for this young team to grow before they get a major test of strength.

Exactly why we shouldn’t play them. We hear about the rivalry, how bad they want to beat us, the game’s going to be close...then if it is, we pay for it in terms of the perception of our team, but if we blow them out, then it’s just because Pitt is really bad. It’s a no win situation for PSU.

Exactly why we shouldn’t play them. We hear about the rivalry, how bad they want to beat us, the game’s going to be close...then if it is, we pay for it in terms of the perception of our team, but if we blow them out, then it’s just because Pitt is really bad. It’s a no win situation for PSU.
You said it and yet a fair number of people don't seem to understand that fact.

I’m sure all the good teams on our schedule are also counting on their young players to get better. I am not ready to predict the playoffs even if we beat OSU. Too many tough games after that.

Reactions: step.eng69
If I were a Pitt fan or Narduzzi I wouldn’t be nearly as worried about the mistakes they made or the final margin but rather how abruptly they quit in the second half. That team doesn’t have a whole lot of heart. Every team Franklin has coached at Penn State has had heart even when the talent was on the thin side. They never quit. Even when we got our hats handed to us.

Agreed. He seems like he's trying way, way too hard to be a clever contrarian. Did Pitt ever cross mid-field in the 2nd half? IMHO, a dry track with both teams on their A games, we win by 2 or 3 TDs. We were and are a much better team than Pitt. Much better, in every phase.

If O'Neil's crew wasn't blind, Pitt would have had double the penalty yards. The blatant holding on both sides of the ball they got away with was just flat out ridiculous.

If O'Neil's crew wasn't blind, Pitt would have had double the penalty yards. The blatant holding on both sides of the ball they got away with was just flat out ridiculous.

It was disgraceful that they didn't even review the helmet hit on McSorley. That was a very clear targeting. It was supposed to be a point of emphasis for B1G crews -- don't let QBs get knocked out of the game. Trace is an incredibly tough dude but the refs have to do their part or he will not make it through the season and the B1G will lose one of their best players.

Reactions: m48tank

52-6 is more than Pitt beating themselves.

Yea Blackledge mentioned that so many times during the telecast you could have made a drinking game out of it!

If we're going to beat OSU and Wisky, the young DTs and LBs are going to have to grow up fast. Personally, even though we lose TM I think next year is when PSU can realistically challenge for a playoff spot. It could've have been this year, but I think the injuries to Buchholz and Brown were absolute killers. Personally, I don't think the game vs OSU is going to be that close. Game is too soon.

The thing that worries me the most about this squad is RB depth. Sanders looks great, but if he gets hurt, we've got a problem. Mark Allen just isn't good enough and am I the only one underwhelmed with Ricky Slade? He doesn't seem to have any moves or elusiveness and isn't big enough to be a power runner. He's bulked up a bit and maybe that hurts him. They say Journey Brown is being held out for academics and I hope he is able to return soon. Jon Thomas gets 0 PT at RB. This is the fault of the staff for not recruiting more players at this position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT