ADVERTISEMENT

How does Old Main Location affect protest?

BisbeeMike

Jul 6, 2017
Saw this come up earlier. Just wondering out loud on this. What makes the Old Main setup location affective in controlling crowd behavior? Will this mean that people cannot attend? Is it an alcohol thing?

Lot less chance of massive #s of angry drunkards. I would love to have a gallon of skunk odor, though....

Lot less chance of massive #s of angry drunkards. I would love to have a gallon of skunk odor, though....
LOL.

Just curious though, is this normal "Gameday" procedure? Do they usually find a location that is similar to an Old Main on other campuses?

Where does it say they are afraid of negative reactions?

No where, but having it at Old Main rather than at the stadium would suggest that.
Considering all of their other Gameday games were done near the stadium.

It's s beautiful spot on campus to highlight during Gameday in the fall. This is probably the nicest campus shot you could think of and it's a big open area to accommodate hundreds of viewers. It's a wonderful backdrop. The stadium area at 10 am makes no sense for a 7:30 start. This is much more convenient for the students, most of whom will probably be asleep anyway, but I like it. Ps. Looks like they were in a similar location at JMU this week and it looked great.

Last edited:
It's s beautiful spot on campus to highlight during Gameday in the fall. The stadium area at 10 am makes no sense for a 7:30 start. This is much more convenient for the students who will probably be asleep anyway. I like it.
Students are going to show up asleep? Sort of confused by your post?

Reactions: gogolion
Great spot to control the signage behind the set because there wouldn’t be any as Old Main would be the back drop. Fans would all be in front. We’ll see how they set it up. At the stadium, fans are in the background like at most Gamedays.

Great spot to control the signage behind the set because there wouldn’t be any as Old Main would be the back drop. Fans would all be in front. We’ll see how they set it up. At the stadium, fans are in the background like at most Gamedays.

Bingo. They don't want signs on the TV.

Turning what could be a positive moment for the program on national tv into a pro-paterno/scandal protest for everyone to see is exactly what it needs. For everyone who wants to keep attracting top talent, projecting the fanbase as a bunch of lunatics and conspiracy theorists sounds like a great strategy. Something I'm sure Joe and Franklin would both be on board with.

Turning what could be a positive moment for the program on national tv into a pro-paterno/scandal protest for everyone to see is exactly what it needs. For everyone who wants to keep attracting top talent, projecting the fanbase as a bunch of lunatics and conspiracy theorists sounds like a great strategy. Something I'm sure Joe and Franklin would both be on board with.
I would pretty much agree with you. For the most part (not totally), Herbie has been very complimentary to Penn State (always says we have the best student section, interview last week with Saquon). Rece Davis is a class act. That said, Howard has been a total jerk (as I would expect a Michigan guy to be), and going back to the '90's, Corso said we never should be in the Big 10. But I get your point.

Of course there will be fans/signs behind their set. They can setup further down the lawn and get plenty of people in there.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
People hate ESPN everywhere. They put nets up behind the set, screen all the signs, and have several levels of barricades to sanitize the program. Volume of the crowd is minimized. Unless you fly a drone behind the active camera, nothing bad is going to show up on camera for more than 2 seconds.

People hate ESPN everywhere. They put nets up behind the set, screen all the signs, and have several levels of barricades to sanitize the program. Volume of the crowd is minimized. Unless you fly a drone behind the active camera, nothing bad is going to show up on camera for more than 2 seconds.

This ^^^^. They do what they can to sanitize the background of GameDay everywhere. That said, neither Sandy or anyone in the PSU administration can say a word if there are a few strongly worded anti ESPN/ BOT signs that do get on tv. They knew the issues surrounding ESPN returning to campus and did what they do best- ignored it.

Last edited:
Let's not pretend that this is the first time Gameday has chosen a non-stadium backdrop. It's quite common

People are going to show up no matter what. It's the "let's be on tv factor", it doesn't matter what it is. Game Day or Stefan Urkel live from Old Main on live tv would have the same attendance. It's all fake, cause people are going to be on tv, and the heel of the day will generate a response from the crowd, cause they'll pick against PSU (or wherever they are on any day) and they'll raise the crowd volume for the boos, and then they'll just do the same thing the next week. It's been happening for 20 years, and people keep showing up. It's the WWE, fully scripted, no talent, people picking both sides to generate a response. And PSU will show up in full effect, completely happy to have these peasants "choose" us as the place to be this weekend.

Let's not pretend that this is the first time Gameday has chosen a non-stadium backdrop. It's quite common

True....but it's the first time at Penn State (at least that I recall). They are usually at the BJC with the stadium and tailgaters behind them.

To suddenly switch to Old Main is noteworthy as they will likely get a lot less tailgating fans/ alumni and mostly just students looking to get on tv for 3 seconds. It probably is an attempt to move GameDay to a more sanitized spot.

And don’t think for a moment this hasn’t already been worked out, my friends. There is method to their madness. ESPN knows exactly what they are marching into. After 6 years there was no avoiding it.

Honestly, I doubt it's anything. Herbie really like Penn State fans and the PSU program - move on, they have. They picked a beautiful spot, some where a little bit different for their set-up this time. They have been doing more and more "away from a stadium" set-ups recently -- maybe to switch things up a bit for the viewers.

True....but it's the first time at Penn State (at least that I recall). They are usually at the BJC with the stadium and tailgaters behind them.

To suddenly switch to Old Main is noteworthy as they will likely get a lot less tailgating fans/ alumni and mostly just students looking to get on tv for 3 seconds. It probably is an attempt to move GameDay to a more sanitized spot.

To a better spot IMHO.

Gameday has never been at Old Main. I have been to every Gameday game and it has never been there.

They know how much we hate them and they are trying to limit the impact. Why they come at all is beyond me.
Uh - for ratings of course. We're the big ABC (ESPN) night game. Love or hate have nothing to do with it. $$$$$$$

Last edited:
I agree it's a more 'scenic' spot (but I suspect that was not the motivation behind the move. ;)).

Like I said before, this is so they can control the signs, anything pro-Paterno and quash anything negative with heavy police and rent a cop presence. Our BoT and their imbeciles are so predictable.

And don’t think for a moment this hasn’t already been worked out, my friends. There is method to their madness. ESPN knows exactly what they are marching into. After 6 years there was no avoiding it.
Fans around the country are enamored with the White Out. We originated it and do it bigger and better than any other venue. Against Michigan at night is special. This gives ESPN the ability to draw more attention to it and hype the game, our atmosphere, our Heisman candidate, our coach, and our #2 ranking. I think it's great they're coming. All this attention helps the program.

Fans around the country are enamored with the White Out. We originated it and do it bigger and better than any other venue. Against Michigan at night is special. This gives ESPN the ability to draw more attention to it and hype the game, our atmosphere, our Heisman candidate, our coach, and our #2 ranking. I think it's great they're coming. All this attention helps the program.

Buuuuut buuuuuut John Zieglar will pay me $1000 to put up a sign.
(payment to be made over the course of 10 years)

Reactions: mn78psu83
For those interested -- if you want to create a negative sign, make sure you also create a positive sign to paste in front of the negativity and then once you get past the censors at the gate (yes, they check the signs), then rip down the positive one.

My way of protesting is to do what I've been doing for most of the last 6 years -- not watching.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
Honestly, I doubt it's anything. Herbie really like Penn State fans and the PSU program - move on, they have. They picked a beautiful spot, some where a little bit different for their set-up this time. They have been doing more and more "away from a stadium" set-ups recently -- maybe to switch things up a bit for the viewers.

Did he "really like penn state" last year brah when he forced an inferior OSU team into the playoff with his platform? The hell is wrong with you?

Reactions: odshowtime and AJ65
It's s beautiful spot on campus to highlight during Gameday in the fall. This is probably the nicest campus shot you could think of and it's a big open area to accommodate hundreds of viewers. It's a wonderful backdrop. The stadium area at 10 am makes no sense for a 7:30 start. This is much more convenient for the students, most of whom will probably be asleep anyway, but I like it. Ps. Looks like they were in a similar location at JMU this week and it looked great.

Yep, and it's 1/2 mile from where they are at most other campus. i.e. at the stadium, broadcasting with the incoming crowd in the background....

Did he "really like penn state" last year brah when he forced an inferior OSU team into the playoff with his platform? The hell is wrong with you?

You give him credit for influence that doesn't exist.
Do you think those committee members changed their thinking to fall in line with a talking head?
Those people didn't get invited to join that committee by being a bunch a weenies.

Reactions: gogolion
What three peeps worked at Old Main, sorry two. Perfect back drop for their .B.S.

There’s nothing to say it can’t be “placed” on Thursday and “refreshed” Friday pm :)

I’m just the idea guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT