ADVERTISEMENT

How Relevant Is Iowa Now?

How relevant will Iowa be regarding the top teams contending for a national title?

• Very Relevant

Votes: 44 28.0%
  • Somewhat Relevant

Votes: 45 28.7%
  • Slightly Relevant

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • Not Very Relevant

Votes: 18 11.5%
  • Totally Irrelevant

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Who Is Iowa?

Votes: 13 8.3%

• Total voters

AgSurfer

Aug 9, 2013
With DT taking over the reins at Oklahoma State, it appears likely that the competition for the top D1 wrestling program will now be between Penn State and Oklahoma State. In addition, Iowa State has broken back into the top 5, and schools like Cornell, Michigan and Arizona State are continuing to field strong programs. At the same time, Iowa seems to be getting pushed further and further back in the list of top teams. With these facts in mind, how relevant will Iowa be going forward with respect to the top teams contending for a national title?

With DT taking over the reins at Oklahoma State, it appears likely that the competition for the top D1 wrestling program will now be between Penn State and Oklahoma State. In addition, Iowa State has broken back into the top 5, and schools like Cornell, Michigan and Arizona State are continuing to field strong programs. At the same time, Iowa seems to be getting pushed further and further back in the list of top teams. With these facts in mind, how relevant will Iowa be going forward with respect to the top teams contending for a national title?
Iowa is trying to fill holes with single-year grad transfers, Parco, maybe Teemer and Buchanan. They could get 40-60 points there, so they are in the mix for second. Without recruiting people who aren’t even in the portal, they become competitive for 5th place.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Iowa is trying to fill holes with single-year grad transfers, Parco, maybe Teemer and Buchanan. They could get 40-60 points there, so they are in the mix for second. Without recruiting people who aren’t even in the portal, they become competitive for 5th place.
Without the portal Iowa is a 6-10 team. With the portal they were a 4th place team.
Their history makes them relevant. Their current competitive level much less so.
I am hoping Beth gives TnT a 10 year extension. I mean considering after AJ insulted Cassioppi's sister they finally found the backbone to tell AJ he wasn't welcome in the Hawk wrestling room they earned another 10 years, right?

When it comes to the NCAA tournament they are now completely irrelevant.

They are in good company when it comes to the team title. Nobody is relevant besides PSU.

They are also irrelevant though now when it comes to individual titles. This year will add to their streak of no champs. They've fallen behind multiple schools in addition to PSU when it comes to that.

Someone tell me I'm wrong.

Irrelevant is a strong word. They put 15,000 people in the seats for big duals. People talk about them all the time. They may not be a title threat every year, but they are still relevant. The top kids are interested to take a visit.

Would we say N C State or V Tech are irrelevant? Irrelevant means they do not matter. They matter.

Without the portal Iowa is a 6-10 team. With the portal they were a 4th place team.
Their history makes them relevant. Their current competitive level much less so.
I am hoping Beth gives TnT a 10 year extension. I mean considering after AJ insulted Cassioppi's sister they finally found the backbone to tell AJ he wasn't welcome in the Hawk wrestling room they earned another 10 years, right?
5th place team 105 points back. ISU was 4th.

Irrelevant is a strong word. They put 15,000 people in the seats for big duals. People talk about them all the time. They may not be a title threat every year, but they are still relevant. The top kids are interested to take a visit.

Would we say N C State or V Tech are irrelevant? Irrelevant means they do not matter. They matter.
VT had a national champ.

Sounds similar to Notre Dame in football…and everyone other than Irish fans would say they aren’t relevant..

As the OP on this topic, I voted Somewhat Relevant because I think there’s always the possibility of an Iowa wrestler pulling off an upset win and changing the seeding or scoring in the NCAA tournament.

One thing that probably gets lost in all of the current period discussion is that Iowa had a decent team under Kurdelmeier before Gable took over the program. So they have a history independent from the Gable/Zelesky/Brands era, and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that they will continue to produce AAs and an occasional finalist. That being said, if DT gets anywhere near the expectations everyone has for him and Cael continues to do what he is doing, I don’t see Iowa gaining the top of the podium any time soon.

With transfers somewhat. Without transfers, I do not see them making the stand. They will be somewhat relevant in who they beat. Could benefit some teams more than others.

About getting 15,000 into seats. Selling seats at a very low price helps. Season tickets are $85 I believe

With transfers somewhat. Without transfers, I do not see them making the stand. They will be somewhat relevant in who they beat. Could benefit some teams more than others.

About getting 15,000 into seats. Selling seats at a very low price helps. Season tickets are $85 I believe
Recently it hasn't been full for meets but the tickets are probably sold. I guess it will stay that way for a while before people just stop buying season tickets and transition to single dual meets with the big names. Eventually that will begin to wane and frankly I won't be disappointed.

Still VERY relevant.

Iowa still moves the needle almost regardless of the news. AJF, transfers, recruiting (or lack thereof) and almost always - a great regular season. This and next year are real back breakers though. Can't keep counting on transfers to plug holes, and we have to start winning some recruiting battles.

If we lose the Raney's to Illinois? Man. We're going to be a "top ten" team. Le sigh.

4540d5df-6c2c-4850-89bb-2aea4e7d8748_text.gif

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Can't keep counting on transfers to plug holes, and we have to start winning some recruiting battles...
Why not?

With The 9.9 gone, NIL and the portal, transfers are here to stay as part of a sound and necessary overall strategy. Iowa can still vie for #2 with a couple more, and probably will continue to compete for 2nd-3rd indefinitely. Will OSU overtake them anytime soon as the next favorite? Probably, but there is no way Iowa is on a path to irrelevancy anytime soon.

Of course they are relevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: lookleft goright
Why not?

With The 9.9 gone, NIL and the portal, transfers are here to stay as part of a sound and necessary overall strategy. Iowa can still vie for #2 with a couple more, and probably will continue to compete for 2-3 indefinitely. Will OSU overtake them anytime soon as the next favorite? Probably, but there is no way Iowa is on a path to irrelevancy anytime soon.

Of course they are relevant.

Because relevant guys aren't just going to be as available anymore. Covid - and guys being at a place 5 and 6 years is why we've seen so much movement, especially among top guys.

And. well. Let's look at the obvious. Even with stupid money being dangled in his face (Teemer) we might not even get him. That's a huge mark against going to wrestle for the Brands. (and the other guys we've lost in recruiting battles)

And even with 9.9 gone - we have to get top level guys. And more than just one a year. We're not in on any top 2025 kids and we HAVE to hit some 2026 kids. Raney's being #1. But holy fvk - we're in a battle with ILLINOIS???? Freaking ILLINOIS? Fvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvking kill me.

How many years has Iowa been a top 3 team, not to mention winning the whole thing a few years back? If they are not considered relevant, then who is? To talk about them as if they are irrelevant seems silly.

PSU is the big dog these days and it looks like they will be for a while, but ignoring Iowa reeks of someone trying to make their biggest fear disappear or arrogance. IMHO

Because relevant guys aren't just going to be as available anymore. Covid - and guys being at a place 5 and 6 years is why we've seen so much movement, especially among top guys.

And. well. Let's look at the obvious. Even with stupid money being dangled in his face (Teemer) we might not even get him. That's a huge mark against going to wrestle for the Brands. (and the other guys we've lost in recruiting battles)

And even with 9.9 gone - we have to get top level guys. And more than just one a year. We're not in on any top 2025 kids and we HAVE to hit some 2026 kids. Raney's being #1. But holy fvk - we're in a battle with ILLINOIS???? Freaking ILLINOIS? Fvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvking kill me.
96fbfd35-b309-490a-a0e7-bcb97fcf73f2_text.gif

Still VERY relevant.
3rd most relevant team from Iowa this past March. Probably less relevant than Little Rock if you think about it.

If we're talking roster fiascos as relevance, then yeah, you and Northern Colorado and maybe Cal Baptist now have something there.

If you're talking click-bait relevance from a couple of Midwestern fanboys and a nerd that grew up loving the Hawks then FLOs got you covered there.

I guess relevance is in the eye of the beholder. But nothing really matters except March.

Tell me I'm wrong.

3rd most relevant team from Iowa this past March. Probably less relevant than Little Rock if you think about it.

If we're talking roster fiascos as relevance, then yeah, you and Northern Colorado and maybe Cal Baptist now have something there.

If you're talking click-bait relevance from a couple of Midwestern fanboys and a nerd that grew up loving the Hawks then FLOs got you covered there.

I guess relevance is in the eye of the beholder. But nothing really matters except March.

Tell me I'm wrong.

You're wrong. Obviously March matters THE MOST. and an inordinately amount. Here we are talking about Iowa on a PSU message board.

How many Indiana Threads are there? Michigan State? Army? And how many threads do you have that are dissections of Iowa. As much fun as you'd like to have saying Iowa is irrelevant, we're not. And sure, we falter in March, but in this decade we've:

2020 - Big Ten champs, Favorites for title
2021 - Won NCAA title
2022 - NCAA 3rd
2023 - NCAA 2nd
2024 - NCAA 5th

PSU is the dynasty. Sure. But are you saying absolutely NO OTHER program is now relevant?

Iowa is playing a dangerous game here. Teemer, Buchanan, Ramos, Volk, and others before them received offers without being in the portal. That's illegal.

NCAA has chosen to ignore it for whatever reason. Which is empowering Slumlord Bob to be even more recklessly aggressive. It won't stop unless either Iowa Athletics stops it or NCAA does. If NCAA ever decides to pursue it, they'll have several years' of cases. And growing.

Also, since the violations are being performed by outside agents -- at least 2 non-employees that we know of -- that's the definition of "lack of institutional control." Iowa has real problems if NCAA pursues that.

IDK the motivations for individual athletes declining the Iowa offers, but maybe some don't want to be caught up in that game.

Related: this is for recruiting Cade McNamara while he was at Michigan but not in the portal. Across multiple sports is another justification for "lack of institutional control" charges.

Last edited:

Thanks for the candid opinion. I can almost feel your angst.

As for relevancy, we wouldn't have a thread asking this question if they were not somewhat relevant. As one who enjoys the dual season, I still tune in to the Hawks when they wrestle UM, OSU, tOSU, or other 'somewhat' relevant teams.

Last edited:

Don't post this on the Iowa board. Turk will ban you.

Interesting. I didn't think much of your recent content validated such a reaction, other than maybe a remark about HWC staff/roster being "inbred" which might justify a warning.

@WildTurk @IAChief32 - can you confirm? Is there something behind the scenes we're not seeing here? Otherwise, it seems like a rather knee jerk reaction to ban this guy.

You shouldn't have been booing Brooks Black when he was at Carver. That'll learn ya.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
You're wrong. Obviously March matters THE MOST. and an inordinately amount. Here we are talking about Iowa on a PSU message board.

How many Indiana Threads are there? Michigan State? Army? And how many threads do you have that are dissections of Iowa. As much fun as you'd like to have saying Iowa is irrelevant, we're not. And sure, we falter in March, but in this decade we've:

2020 - Big Ten champs, Favorites for title
2021 - Won NCAA title
2022 - NCAA 3rd
2023 - NCAA 2nd
2024 - NCAA 5th

PSU is the dynasty. Sure. But are you saying absolutely NO OTHER program is now relevant?
Excellent points. Iowa has a very important and relevant role to play in today's college wrestling. First as I mentioned, their history always makes them relevant. Just like Oklahoma State has been.
Second, without all those Hawk fans who the heck would we needle?

Interesting. I didn't think much of your recent content validated such a reaction, other than a remark about IA staff being "inbred" which might constitute a warning, if anything.

@WildTurk @IAChief32 - can you confirm? Is there something behind the scenes we're not seeing here? Otherwise, it seems like a rather petty, knee jerk reaction to ban this guy.

Doesnt look like he's banned. Profile is still searchable and shows that he was on there yesterday.

In regards to this thread:

Iowa isn't going anywhere. They aren't the big dog right now(clearly), but they aren't going to just fade away into obscurity any time soon.

No matter how loudly/often people will try to claim that it's the end of the Hawkeyes, Iowa will still be around.

5df349be-8f57-4801-812c-52157a038fbd_text.gif

Doesnt look like he's banned. Profile is still searchable and shows that he was on there yesterday.
I tried to login, but received this message:

You have been banned for the following reason: Trolling. Your ban will be lifted on Sep 27, 2024 at 12:00 AM.

In regards to this thread:

Iowa isn't going anywhere. They aren't the big dog right now(clearly), but they aren't going to just fade away into obscurity any time soon.

No matter how loudly/often people will try to claim that it's the end of the Hawkeyes, Iowa will still be around.
See my post above. Here is what I said:

"One thing that probably gets lost in all of the current period discussion is that Iowa had a decent team under Kurdelmeier before Gable took over the program. So they have a history independent from the Gable/Zelesky/Brands era, and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that they will continue to produce AAs and an occasional finalist."

So Iowa has always been a good program and they won't fade away into obscurity. This point is driven by the fact that Iowa has always supported wrestling, period. However, I think the current leaders of the program might want to do some honest self-assessment if they want to continue to be competitive.

User suspended due to his extensive history of "Trolling" that was previously allowed to slide.
Interesting. I didn't think much of your recent content validated such a reaction, other than maybe a remark about HWC staff/roster being "inbred" which might justify a warning.

@WildTurk @IAChief32 - can you confirm? Is there something behind the scenes we're not seeing here? Otherwise, it seems like a rather knee jerk reaction to ban this guy.
Is that how it's going to be? You need an explanation for every ban/warning for your buddies from here? Only one guy has been put in time-out for a week. There have been no bans yet.

We have our guidelines on how to clean up the cesspool. It's working great so far.

Reactions: vhsalum
When it comes to the NCAA tournament they are now completely irrelevant.

They are in good company when it comes to the team title. Nobody is relevant besides PSU.

They are also irrelevant though now when it comes to individual titles. This year will add to their streak of no champs. They've fallen behind multiple schools in addition to PSU when it comes to that.

Someone tell me I'm wrong.
You’re wrong. Even as a team chock full of waiver wire mercenaries, they’re relevant. Our arrogance and need to belittle them insures it. But I get it, especially when talking about athletic team support. Juggernaut-sized success achieved by other men is easy to flaunt or use as a club as if it were our own. I’m as guilty as any, when in conversations on western hiking trips based on my Lion wrestling apparel. But calling any team irrelevant implies that its wrestlers are as well. I have too much respect for any kid who wrestles in the NCAA to do that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT