ADVERTISEMENT

How Relevant Is Iowa Now?

How relevant will Iowa be regarding the top teams contending for a national title?

• Very Relevant

Votes: 44 28.0%
  • Somewhat Relevant

Votes: 45 28.7%
  • Slightly Relevant

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • Not Very Relevant

Votes: 18 11.5%
  • Totally Irrelevant

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Who Is Iowa?

Votes: 13 8.3%

• Total voters
Depends on your definition of "relevant". The OP says "contending for a national title". In that context, really only PSU is relevant unless a lot of really strange things happen. "Relevant" more generally in the wrestling landscape? Absolutely, Iowa is.

Depends on your definition of "relevant". The OP says "contending for a national title". In that context, really only PSU is relevant unless a lot of really strange things happen. "Relevant" more generally in the wrestling landscape? Absolutely, Iowa is.
AgSurfers theory of Relativity helps explain how time bends reality. Out in deep space there is a zone where Iowa Wrestling is still #1

AgSurfers theory of Relativity helps explain how time bends reality. Out in deep space there is a zone where Iowa Wrestling is still #1
Terry Brands in deep space:

giphy.gif

Without the portal Iowa is a 6-10 team. With the portal they were a 4th place team.
Their history makes them relevant. Their current competitive level much less so.
I am hoping Beth gives TnT a 10 year extension. I mean considering after AJ insulted Cassioppi's sister they finally found the backbone to tell AJ he wasn't welcome in the Hawk wrestling room they earned another 10 years, right?
I do not go on THR much, what did AJ say about Cassioppi's sister?

May explain “no windows” in their new facility, too. When all lights are off, fluorescent plastic stars on the room’s ceiling simulate the deep space you describe, where news/light from the last 15 years of Lion dominance has yet to arrive . . . and the Hawks are reigning NCAA champs.
Teasing aside, their mercenaries should make for much more exciting dual.

Dude - you’re a genius! Now we can understand the Iowa strategy. Don’t forget that as you speed up, time slows down. So Iowa wrestlers do their best to slow down the match when they are ahead because that speeds up the clock. I never would have guessed that TnT understood Einstein well enough to develop a wrestling strategy around his Theory of Relativity.

I don't know. I am just assuming 197 because he is winning either weight, and he better fits a need at 197.
everyone is penciling in C Star for grand champ, what about Keck? Yes CS is early fav but come on just giving him auto champ status is a little much don't yeah think.

I'm not sure where you see any wins for the Hawks.
Ayla where is he going-whos going for us?
Parco- Van Ness health? I pick Van Ness
Teemer-good enough to question Kasak
84&97- where is Carter going?
And then there is 74 I truly believe Haines is going to win it all even over O'Toole but I am a homer. Where is Facundo in this line up he's, where and when does he fit in haven't seen him in folk for over a year.

I also look at our line up and see a possible 6 champs, near improbable but, WE ARE!

Last edited:
Speaking of Friday implosions, where is Drake Ayala wrestling next season? Iowa fans going off the deep end that the Sioux sent up a smoke signal that OSU was interested in Drake.

Someone watching the NCAA championships from 82 trillion miles out would probably believe that is true.

May explain “no windows” in their new facility, too. When all lights are off, fluorescent plastic stars on the room’s ceiling simulate the deep space you describe, where news/light from the last 15 years of Lion dominance has yet to arrive . . . and the Hawks are reigning NCAA champs.
Teasing aside, their mercenaries should make for much more exciting dual.
Probably as much as Caliendo did last year at 165.

Reactions: HikeNatParks
It's a good lineup on paper but they're relying on 3 6/7th year wrestlers who are in it for the bag, 2 of them with injury histories (Buchanan took a year off since he was injured and Teemer missed a year as well) I don't think total implosion or anything but that spells underachievement in Iowa.

That being said, I think Ayala improves at 133, Kueter will be a monster fully focused on wrestling and Caliendo impressed last year big time. Similarly the winner of their 174 wrestleoff I would definitely pick to AA though the one that has go to 184, I think is a tossup since they'll likely be small for the weight. Block is an intriguing prospect though I think he will be pulling a lot at 141 and he just missed a year and major ? at 125.

Of course if you ask HR, they have 8 finalists and Block and their 125 will probably sneak onto the podium and they'll score 173.

Reactions: Sullivan
everyone is penciling in C Star for grand champ, what about Keck? Yes CS is early fav but come on just giving him auto champ status is a little much don't yeah think.
No shade at Parker K obviously, fantastic wrestler and seems like a great person but the people picking him over Carter is reminscent of a lot of fans picking DT over Dake in 2013. Dake was the one going up and DT is the much more offensive wrestler. Not denying Parker will give Carter a new challenge but yeah ... I'm not picking against Carter here.

As for automatic champ status? There's almost no such thing but I would confident pick Carter over Parker.

It's a good lineup on paper but they're relying on 3 6/7th year wrestlers who are in it for the bag, 2 of them with injury histories (Buchanan took a year off since he was injured and Teemer missed a year as well) I don't think total implosion or anything but that spells underachievement in Iowa.

That being said, I think Ayala improves at 133, Kueter will be a monster fully focused on wrestling and Caliendo impressed last year big time. Similarly the winner of their 174 wrestleoff I would definitely pick to AA though the one that has go to 184, I think is a tossup since they'll likely be small for the weight. Block is an intriguing prospect though I think he will be pulling a lot at 141 and he just missed a year and major ? at 125.

Of course if you ask HR, they have 8 finalists and Block and their 125 will probably sneak onto the podium and they'll score 173.
174, 184: Kennedy, arnold, Brands. Who ya got?

No shade at Parker K obviously, fantastic wrestler and seems like a great person but the people picking him over Carter is reminscent of a lot of fans picking DT over Dake in 2013. Dake was the one going up and DT is the much more offensive wrestler. Not denying Parker will give Carter a new challenge but yeah ... I'm not picking against Carter here.

As for automatic champ status? There's almost no such thing but I would confident pick Carter over Parker.
We saw AB totally shut PK down. Starocci, like AB, is a brick wall defensively. I could see Carter just grind him down in a close but convincing win.

Reactions: hlstone

One-Legged Carter shut out two returning national champs in consecutive matches in March. But but but Keck!

Keckeisen is obviously a really good wrestler, and Carter can't have a bad day against him.

But Carter doesn't have bad days. His opponents do.

Ayla where is he going-whos going for us?
Parco- Van Ness health? I pick Van Ness
Teemer-good enough to question Kasak
84&97- where is Carter going?
And then there is 74 I truly believe Haines is going to win it all even over O'Toole but I am a homer. Where is Facundo in this line up he's, where and when does he fit in haven't seen him in folk for over a year.

I also look at our line up and see a possible 6 champs, near improbable but, WE ARE!
Ayala at 133 - yeah he could win. But I bet he doesn't go under Nagao.

Van Ness is handling Parco - again.

I think Kasak wears out Teemer if Teemer is at 157 (and if he makes it that far into the season).

Levi - Arnold. Are you friggin kidding me? Could end up 2-0 and it still wouldn't be close. No chance.

We will have CStar and Barr in the lineup and neither one is losing. I'm AOK saying Barr will beat Buchanan if that happens at 97. You heard it here first.

One-Legged Carter shut out two returning national champs in consecutive matches in March. But but but Keck!

Keckeisen is obviously a really good wrestler, and Carter can't have a bad day against him.

But Carter doesn't have bad days. His opponents do.
I don't know why this is even a discussion. Keck couldn't even get a sniff against AB and Carter is just as good as AB. Olympic trials Carter was wrestling up 22lbs in a week (after a failed attempt to make 74kg because of the injury) on a bum wheel.

Carter is one of the very greatest wrestlers in NCAA history. Keck isn't.

I can smell what you guys ate stepping in for sure and I agree with Carter winning against Keck but i just don't see it being as easy as you guys are saying, hope I'm wrong and you guys can throw it in my face you won't hear a peep out of me!

For what it's worth this is coming from a guy that would take Blaze over the Basset/Forest duo!

Although unofficially we have Blaze from what I hear so, full court press on the duo now.

Last edited:
Sounds like Glazier and few other Iowa guy may be on the way out.

That's the problem with the one year mercenary strategy, it can erode team chemistry and create some ill will that can affect recruiting going forward.

I know they are willing to make that trade off but a couple key injuries or under performance and there are going to be a
lot of unhappy people in Iowa.

I don't know why this is even a discussion. Keck couldn't even get a sniff against AB and Carter is just as good as AB. Olympic trials Carter was wrestling up 22lbs in a week (after a failed attempt to make 74kg because of the injury) on a bum wheel.

Carter is one of the very greatest wrestlers in NCAA history. Keck isn't.
It's a discussion for two reasons. One, this is a discussion board. Two, matches decide outcomes, not pre-bout boasts. Another “one of the very greatest wrestlers in NCAA history” lost a match to Marcus Coleman (who?) his senior year, so it’s reasonable to think a wrestler with champion Parker’s animal pace can contend and possibly beat Carter.
It’s a bout I hope we see. If we do, I’m with you. I think Carter wins it.

It's a discussion for two reasons. One, this is a discussion board. Two, matches decide outcomes, not pre-bout boasts. Another “one of the very greatest wrestlers in NCAA history” lost a match to Marcus Coleman (who?) his senior year, so it’s reasonable to think a wrestler with champion Parker’s animal pace can contend and possibly beat Carter.
It’s a bout I hope we see. If we do, I’m with you. I think Carter wins it.
It was his junior year, but point taken.

Kyle Snyder lost in his senior year, but as Ryan told us, that was due to a 60-lb weight difference.

If you look at recruiting results, it's hard not to think Iowa has lost relevance among elite HS wrestlers.

Somewhat relevant? Yeah, they still get 1 or 2 top-25 wrestlers per year, but they are struggling to keep pace with more schools than just PSU.

Surviving on 1-year rentals is not sustainable.

Last edited:
If you look at recruiting results, it's hard not to think Iowa has lost relevance among elite HS wrestlers.

Somewhat relevant? Yeah, they still get 1 or 2 top-25 wrestlers per year, but they are struggling to keep pace with more schools than just PSU.

Surviving on 1-year rentals is not sustainable.
Might not be sustainable, but TnT and Bob seemed determine to try. I am all for TnT continuing to provide the Hawk faithful false hope and even more AOK with the big mothed, lying turd named Bob foolishly parting with his money.

Just saying.

Sounds like Glazier and few other Iowa guy may be on the way out.

That's the problem with the one year mercenary strategy, it can erode team chemistry and create some ill will that can affect recruiting going forward.

I know they are willing to make that trade off but a couple key injuries or under performance and there are going to be a
lot of unhappy people in Iowa.
Do you know where Glazier is going?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT