ADVERTISEMENT

How Relevant Is Iowa Now?

How relevant will Iowa be regarding the top teams contending for a national title?

• Very Relevant

Votes: 44 28.0%
  • Somewhat Relevant

Votes: 45 28.7%
  • Slightly Relevant

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • Not Very Relevant

Votes: 18 11.5%
  • Totally Irrelevant

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Who Is Iowa?

Votes: 13 8.3%

• Total voters
He said that about Mitchell too.
And it was close. I have a hard time seeing him lose again. If he did take the Olympic shirt last year he very well could’ve matched Cael obviously with a lot less wins. Also, he has a lot of wrestling to do and everyone can lose but Mitchell just seems like he’s going to keep getting better. Not sure who I can see beating him

No way is Iowa irrelevant. They have a new multi million dollar facility. In fact here they are practicing in same just today.

Windows are in the 2025 upgrade budget.

Last edited:
And it was close. I have a hard time seeing him lose again. If he did take the Olympic shirt last year he very well could’ve matched Cael obviously with a lot less wins. Also, he has a lot of wrestling to do and everyone can lose but Mitchell just seems like he’s going to keep getting better. Not sure who I can see beating him

Caliendo!!!! Duh!

• Haha
Reactions: zzs006
I'm legitimately curious what HWC pays guys, obviously Spencer is well compensated but imagine it's a lot less when they can't add points to the college team directly. That being said, obviously a guy like Woods makes all the 133 to 157s better.

Reactions: Nitlion1986
I'm legitimately curious what HWC pays guys, obviously Spencer is well compensated but imagine it's a lot less when they can't add points to the college team directly. That being said, obviously a guy like Woods makes all the 133 to 157s better.
Maybe Woods insisted on teaching offense and scrambles. TnT just couldn't bring themselves to agree to such radical wrestling concepts. Push, push, stall or the highway.

Reactions: danoftw
Anyone who says Iowa isn't very relevant smacks more of emotion than facts.

That said if a large proton of your team every year is high priced rentals, I can see how that strategy brings with it a lot of negatives. Team chemistry is not over overrated, and it's anyone's guess how loyal organic top recruits who got a 'smallish' bag, will handle a rotating door of 1 year mercenaries who get what seems like life-changing funds at 22 years old.

I acknowledge it is largely true in the real world as well. Often the best way to get a significant raise or a promotion is with a different company.

My expectation is that most high-dollar temporary hire bag men, on balance across the NCAA, slightly underperform expectations. It's that last 2-3% of hard work, motivation, and hunger that separates 1st from 4th. Few at this age can keep that fine edge honed razor-sharp with $500k sitting in their back pocket. Just my opinion.

PSU's own track record has been a bit spotty with only Dean and Kirk 'fully' delivering, and some could even criticize those two as underdelivering in their off years. They were pre-NIL as well. Hildebrandt, Bernie and Nagao were good but not great. Mitchell was a bit of a different situation and a different animal entirely, and his edge is permanent, not to mention money was not a factor.

Maybe DT, Iowa and tOSU pull a free most get guys away, but
Not relevant and I'm not emotional lmfao.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT