ADVERTISEMENT

How Relevant Is Iowa Now?

How relevant will Iowa be regarding the top teams contending for a national title?

• Very Relevant

Votes: 44 28.0%
  • Somewhat Relevant

Votes: 45 28.7%
  • Slightly Relevant

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • Not Very Relevant

Votes: 18 11.5%
  • Totally Irrelevant

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Who Is Iowa?

Votes: 13 8.3%

• Total voters
It was his junior year, but point taken.

Kyle Snyder lost in his senior year, but as Ryan told us, that was due to a 60-lb weight difference.
I’ll always call a wrestler’s 4th year of NCAA competition his senior year, but, meh. Point is, though doubtful, Carter can lose. I’ll never underestimate any opponent’s heart, passion, skill, or luck going into a bout. Shayne one minute from dumping Yianni and Ramos flipping Spencer come to mind, Henson consecutively over Lovett and Gomez to a far lesser degree. I find guarantees disrespectful to everything a quality opponent like Keck has put into his effort, but that’s just me. I’m old, old-school, and, well . . . positively irrelevant.
Next lawn up!

I’ll always call a wrestler’s 4th year of NCAA competition his senior year, but, meh. Point is, though doubtful, Carter can lose. I’ll never underestimate any opponent’s heart, passion, skill, or luck going into a bout. Shayne one minute from dumping Yianni and Ramos flipping Spencer come to mind, Henson consecutively over Lovett and Gomez to a far lesser degree. I find guarantees disrespectful to everything a quality opponent like Keck has put into his effort, but that’s just me. I’m old, old-school, and, well . . . positively irrelevant.
Next lawn up!

"Next lawn up", I like that!

Reactions: HikeNatParks
Does seem silly for the reasons Willie stated. I bet you knew it, too, and were just looking to fill the off-season topic drought. Well, it worked. ;)
My own silliness? I tend to believe those most certain of Hawk irrelevance are those most worried about their ongoing significance. Not sure why, given our stronghold on the mountain top.
I meant to reply to you earlier but got distracted.
Well of course I thought this would be a good way to get some good discussion going. In retrospect, a better way of posting the poll would have been to ask “What do you think will be the average post season placement for Iowa in the next ten years?” That’s not questioning their relevancy, it’s asking everyone to rate their ability to compete.

I’m pretty sure that TnT are never going to be satisfied with anything less than #1 at the end of the season, but whether they can really get there is the real question. Should I post a new poll?

Reactions: danoftw
I meant to reply to you earlier but got distracted.
Well of course I thought this would be a good way to get some good discussion going. In retrospect, a better way of posting the poll would have been to ask “What do you think will be the average post season placement for Iowa in the next ten years?” That’s not questioning their relevancy, it’s asking everyone to rate their ability to compete.

I’m pretty sure that TnT are never going to be satisfied with anything less than #1 at the end of the season, but whether they can really get there is the real question. Should I post a new poll?
So you are posting a poll to see if you should start a new poll?

Anyone who says Iowa isn't very relevant smacks more of emotion than facts.

That said if a large proton of your team every year is high priced rentals, I can see how that strategy brings with it a lot of negatives. Team chemistry is not over overrated, and it's anyone's guess how loyal organic top recruits who got a 'smallish' bag, will handle a rotating door of 1 year mercenaries who get what seems like life-changing funds at 22 years old.

I acknowledge it is largely true in the real world as well. Often the best way to get a significant raise or a promotion is with a different company.

My expectation is that most high-dollar temporary hire bag men, on balance across the NCAA, slightly underperform expectations. It's that last 2-3% of hard work, motivation, and hunger that separates 1st from 4th. Few at this age can keep that fine edge honed razor-sharp with $500k sitting in their back pocket. Just my opinion.

PSU's own track record has been a bit spotty with only Dean and Kirk 'fully' delivering, and some could even criticize those two as underdelivering in their off years. They were pre-NIL as well. Hildebrandt, Bernie and Nagao were good but not great. Mitchell was a bit of a different situation and a different animal entirely, and his edge is permanent, not to mention money was not a factor.

Maybe DT, Iowa and tOSU pull a free most get guys away, but

Anyone who says Iowa isn't very relevant smacks more of emotion than facts.

That said if a large proton of your team every year is high priced rentals, I can see how that strategy brings with it a lot of negatives. Team chemistry is not over overrated, and it's anyone's guess how loyal organic top recruits who got a 'smallish' bag, will handle a rotating door of 1 year mercenaries who get what seems like life-changing funds at 22 years old.

I acknowledge it is largely true in the real world as well. Often the best way to get a significant raise or a promotion is with a different company.

My expectation is that most high-dollar temporary hire bag men, on balance across the NCAA, slightly underperform expectations. It's that last 2-3% of hard work, motivation, and hunger that separates 1st from 4th. Few at this age can keep that fine edge honed razor-sharp with $500k sitting in their back pocket. Just my opinion.

PSU's own track record has been a bit spotty with only Dean and Kirk 'fully' delivering, and some could even criticize those two as underdelivering in their off years. They were pre-NIL as well. Hildebrandt, Bernie and Nagao were good but not great. Mitchell was a bit of a different situation and a different animal entirely, and his edge is permanent, not to mention money was not a factor.

Maybe DT, Iowa and tOSU pull a free most get guys away, but
I think it's more than slightly. I also separate long term transfers (longer than two years) from short term transfers (usually one year but sometimes 2). Speaking only of short term transfers, I can only think of a few guys who produced to expectations. I haven't seen any studies on this, and it would be interesting to have one done in the NIL era.

They have by far the most attendance. They have top 2 history. They have a new state of the art practice facility. And they have top 2 NIL money. They are very relevant and will be for the foreseeable future.

TunnelsThey have by far the most attendance. They have top 2 history. They have a new state of the art practice facility. And they have top 2 NIL money. They are very relevant and will be for the foreseeable future.
Animation 3D GIF by Alejandro Pérez

You forgot- they have tunnels as well!

Where did I say that Iowa is not relevant? I posted a poll that asked what everyone thinks, and the results indicate that most people posting here believe Iowa is still pretty relevant.

I do think, however, that they are going to have a tougher time in the future getting into the top five teams when March comes around. That’s just my opinion. Time will tell whether or not I am correct.
I think most here knew where you were going with it. I'll say this about it, relevant...yes. Do I "fear" them as much? No I dont..

The question asks "How relevant will Iowa be regarding the top teams contending for a national title?"

I think as a program they will always be very relevant, but with the current coaching and recruiting, I do not see them winning a title in the near future. I think tOSU, OSU, Missouri and Michigan as moving in front of them. As for NIL, I think Michigan can out spend them and is a much higher ranked university.

Just one man's opinion

The question asks "How relevant will Iowa be regarding the top teams contending for a national title?"

I think as a program they will always be very relevant, but with the current coaching and recruiting, I do not see them winning a title in the near future. I think tOSU, OSU, Missouri and Michigan as moving in front of them. As for NIL, I think Michigan can out spend them and is a much higher ranked university.

Just one man's opinion
Michigan seems to have figured out how to effectively use the short term rental system.

Michigan seems to have figured out how to effectively use the short term rental system.
May be, but their last four NCAAs they finished 3rd, 6th, 2nd, and 5th. That's a lot of spending to only get two trophies. Doesn't seem like the ROI is very high. Developing and paying your long term recruits/wrestlers has a much higher ROI, but it seems like not every head coach can recruit and coach well.

I look at transfers similarly to hiring someone in your business. Do you want to hire someone young with little experience that is teachable, or do you hire someone with more experience but may come with bad habits from his prior jobs? I think quite a few transfers have their training regimen and culture that probably doesn't mesh that well with the rest of the team and what is being taught. Maybe that is why transfers don't usually level up that last year.

As we have seen very recently, the recruited guys who do well need to be paid commensurate with the transfers or everything starts to blow up.

Last edited:
Someone watching the NCAA championships from 82 trillion miles out would probably believe that is true.
Your math is prodigious. A television signal at a distance of 82 trillion miles is equal to 14.3 light years. 14 years ago 2010) Iowa did win a natty. Matt McDonough at 125 pounds, Brent Metcalf at 149 pounds, and Jay Borschel at 174 pounds are still livin large in outter space.

Reactions: Nitlion1986
May be, but their last four NCAAs they finished 3rd, 6th, 2nd, and 5th. That's a lot of spending to only get two trophies. Doesn't seem like the ROI is very high. Developing and paying your long term recruits/wrestlers has a much higher ROI, but it seems like not every head coach can recruit and coach well.

I look at transfers similarly to hiring someone in your business. Do you want to hire someone young with little experience that is teachable, or do you hire someone with more experience but may come with bad habits from his prior jobs? I think quite a few transfers have their training regimen and culture that probably doesn't mesh that well with the rest of the team and what is being taught. Maybe that is why transfers don't usually level up that last year.

As we have seen very recently, the recruited guys who do well need to be paid commensurate with the transfers or everything starts to blow up.
Michigan's rentals have typically been specifically to enable a recruited athlete to shirt. Where Iowa's are typically to supplant guys who haven't developed, or for major misses in recruiting.

It hasn't always worked out -- meaning that the recruited athletes haven't always developed. But that's the strategy.

Also helping Michigan: they have arguably the 2nd best training center in the world, with one of the best freestyle coaches in history. For those with post-college goals, this is a lot more attractive than Iowa.

125 Lilledahl dec Ayala 3-0
133 Nagao MD Petersen 7-0
141 Bartlett MD Schriever 11-0
149 SVN dec Parco 14-0
157 Haines dec Teemer 17-0
165 Mesenbrink MD Caliendo 21-0
174 Facundo dec Arnold 24-0
184 Barr dec Brands (2-1 TB2) 27-0
197 Starocci dec Buchanan 30-0
HWT Kerkvliet MD Kueter 34-0

I'm going with a NO on that one.

125 Lilledahl dec Ayala 3-0
133 Nagao MD Petersen 7-0
141 Bartlett MD Schriever 11-0
149 SVN dec Parco 14-0
157 Haines dec Teemer 17-0
165 Mesenbrink MD Caliendo 21-0
174 Facundo dec Arnold 24-0
184 Barr dec Brands (2-1 TB2) 27-0
197 Starocci dec Buchanan 30-0
HWT Kerkvliet MD Kueter 34-0

I'm going with a NO on that one.
Haines, if he wrestles this year isn't going to wrestle 157. Kasak is probably our 157 pounder this year. This should be a good match. The thing about Teemer wrestling at Iowa, his toughness and conditioning will be elevated making him pretty darn tough to beat. By seasons end he will probably be dinged up and worn out.

By the time we wrestle Iowa Barr should be close to ready to beat Brands. Guessing here, but Brands probably gets the first contest. By the time the NCAAs roll around Barr will have surpassed Brands.

I'd imagine if you are a die hard Iowa fan you'd be a little pissy about how they treated the dude who did everything asked of him..
It's not like he's a room guy either.

Reactions: Ski
I believe Ayala is going 133, it'll be Cruz or Petersen down at 125.

Nelson unless he was just joking on FloWrestling said he wants to go 174 (guessing individual title is a priority for him and he likes his chances there over at 184) If he loses the wrestleoff then he'll go 184, I would guess Nelson will certify at 174 obviously.

This was a funny prelude to one of the most on-point “this aged well” replies ever:

[IMG alt="T8KUDWN"]https://rivals-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/forums/iowa/data/avatars/m/13/13968.jpg?1483231001[/IMG]

T8KUDWN

HB MVP​

No, we'll fly Seibrecht and coaches to Europe to some obscure tournament for $15K plus sounds good to me? What a great investment with the resources 😜
Nothing wrong with investing time and money on a guy who will be scoring points for the Hawks this season.

ibahwkfan

HB All-American​

Gold Member
Nothing wrong with investing time and money on a guy who will be scoring points for the Hawks this season.
This aged well...

The "young AA" has to be Ayala. He and Jaws are the only homegrown AAs on the roster.

Since we all know the Brands boys would never recruit over any of their athletes what should we call this behavior? Rent over? Borrow over? I got it. Screw over!!!

Reactions: jack66
Homegrown AAs since 2020
9 .... (8 of them were on the 2020 roster)

Imported AAs since 2020
9 .... (7 were AAs before becoming a Hawk) If Cannon becomes a Hawk then it will be 10, with 8 already reaching AA status.

In other words, they would be up sH!tt creek without transfers. Ayala is the only homegrown AA from the last 5 recruiting classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski and matter7172
I am taking bets how old will aj be when he graduates I am guessing about 35 after 10 more transfers!
Good question. I'm not sure how many times someone is transferred between federal prisons before they finally "graduate."

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
Haines, if he wrestles this year isn't going to wrestle 157. Kasak is probably our 157 pounder this year. This should be a good match. The thing about Teemer wrestling at Iowa, his toughness and conditioning will be elevated making him pretty darn tough to beat. By seasons end he will probably be dinged up and worn out.

By the time we wrestle Iowa Barr should be close to ready to beat Brands. Guessing here, but Brands probably gets the first contest. By the time the NCAAs roll around Barr will have surpassed Brands.
This might have been discussed but I'm hearing that Starocci is likely to go 184 and if so who would go for PSU at 197?

Askren said on FRL a while back after a few months in the room, he expects Cael to ask Connor to not redshirt in order to preserve his own undefeated 4 timer status.
That kinda sounds like speculating and promoting his product more than factual.....im sure he's capable but to say undefeated 4 time is a big statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT