ADVERTISEMENT

How would you feel about Temple to the Big 10?

Back when conferences looked at the "fit" of the academic institution along with the athletic department you could argue that both Temple and Pitt were not good fits. Both are not Flagship or Land Grant universities- more the Urban Public State Universities. The old AAC actually had that formula pretty well down with teams like Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Houston, UCF etc.

Many of my students end up choosing amongst Temple, Pitt and PSU. So there is commonality in that regards- prices are similar- they are "State Schools," and in the end often the choice is "do you want to be in the country or the city?"

BC is more closely profiled to NW, Vandy, Wake, Duke, Stanford, Tulane, Rice and someday may end up in some offshoot conference together. Amongst the 3 I'd probably pick them.

Temple to the Big Ten? While I like and appreciate Temple- I just wouldn't feel good about it. That may sound elitist, or could be that I'm still bitter about the way that I was treated by Temple folks during the Linc Beat Down/ "Sackenberg" Game. Either way- I'd vote NO.

Reactions: JerseyRon
Back when conferences looked at the "fit" of the academic institution along with the athletic department you could argue that both Temple and Pitt were not good fits. Both are not Flagship or Land Grant universities- more the Urban Public State Universities. The old AAC actually had that formula pretty well down with teams like Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Houston, UCF etc.

Many of my students end up choosing amongst Temple, Pitt and PSU. So there is commonality in that regards- prices are similar- they are "State Schools," and in the end often the choice is "do you want to be in the country or the city?"

BC is more closely profiled to NW, Vandy, Wake, Duke, Stanford, Tulane, Rice and someday may end up in some offshoot conference together. Amongst the 3 I'd probably pick them.

Temple to the Big Ten? While I like and appreciate Temple- I just wouldn't feel good about it. That may sound elitist, or could be that I'm still bitter about the way that I was treated by Temple folks during the Linc Beat Down/ "Sackenberg" Game. Either way- I'd vote NO.
EVERYONE at temple knew about Cosby in 2004. The temple cult turned their backs on cosbys 50+ victims so I will turn my back on temple. Temple had a serial rapist as a trustee until 2013. Cosby also gave commencement til 2013.

Last edited:
Basically the same as I'd feel about Pitt. Seriously, why is that thread still going?
This is a joke, why even consider. PSU already has the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh TV and recruiting markets. Go after the ACC, local papers talk about FSU wanting out, Miami as a package, not sure of geography but is Maryland the southernmost east coast big school. If limited on number of teams, trade Rutgers and Maryland for FSU and Miami

While I wouldn't invite them either, if the Big Ten were to invite any old eastern "rival", the most logical team would be Syracuse. but they aren't a great fit either.

A guy walked into a bar and asked the bartender if Temple would be a good fit in the Big ten. The bartender asks, "WTF is this, some kind of joke"

EVERYONE at temple knew about Cosby in 2004. The temple cult turned their backs on cosbys 50+ victims so I will turn my back on temple. Temple had a serial rapist as a trustee until 2013. Cosby also gave commencement til 2013.
Thanks for your “input” Sherlock.

While I wouldn't invite them either, if the Big Ten were to invite any old eastern "rival", the most logical team would be Syracuse. but they aren't a great fit either.
I dont think Syracuse makes sense for any conference. Even if the Big XII wasn't to get into the northeast I don't see them getting consideration. Maybe I'm wrong. Not anti-Syracuse but just don't see it.

I dont think Syracuse makes sense for any conference. Even if the Big XII wasn't to get into the northeast I don't see them getting consideration. Maybe I'm wrong. Not anti-Syracuse but just don't see it.
Big 12 is supposedly seriously considering UConn. If they’ve meet the criteria, I’m positive Syracuse does as well.

Big 12 is supposedly seriously considering UConn. If they’ve meet the criteria, I’m positive Syracuse does as well.
Supposedly...there's lot of rumors out there but I think they'd take UConn before Syracuse. The Big Ten certainly isn't even going to consider Syracuse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT