ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Appreciation Thread

Just like to point out the inconsistencies. I can post my recap of the World Cup when it's done if you like.

Or.... how about you skip civility policing and just be a normal anonymous interweb poster?? Earn your keep......

Or.... how about you skip civility policing and just be a normal anonymous interweb poster?? Earn your keep......

Should I throw out the Bael or Carl references? The 'refs need to call stalling' or 'the bow and arrow is pd 90% of the time'
Was just trying to play nice while learning the board.

Careful, you are starting to type the same things you profess to loathe. That and you aren't being very accurate. Keep posting what you think you read, you know the stuff that fits your narrative. Vodka at least attempts to support his position, Lum? Well he's all yours and you can have him. If I follow your methods this when i should break out the 'that's right Iowa fans don't know about wrestling other than it was invented longer than 10 years ago' schtick. If you are going to bash the cesspool at least do so accurately. It doesn't befit a far superior, above reproach group such as this.

The fact that you are defending Vodka, who is as worthless a person as there is on HR, tells me that you are just like him, and you don't know jack shit about wrestling. If you did you wouldn't defend a delusional, worthless poster like him.

Again, I'm sure Iowa is filled with people who know wrestling, they just don't post on HR. HR is a cesspool of delusion. They are the worst posters you can find in the wrestling community. The only reasonable poster I've seen on HR is Nashville. If the rest of the lunatics there never used the internet again it wouldn't even make up for all the ridiculous conspiracy theories and downright disgusting things they've said over there.

Reactions: LumbeeIndian
Should I throw out the Bael or Carl references? The 'refs need to call stalling' or 'the bow and arrow is pd 90% of the time'
Was just trying to play nice while learning the board.
Hectoring is an interesting way of playing nice.

Maybe I should try it at my next customer mtg (US military) and see what happens.

Vodka at least attempts to support his position
I actually agree with you on this. I don't find him unreasonable, and, if the truth be told, his style reminds me a lot of ME. I was very passionate about my positions, would argue them until I was blue in the face, and was always deemed "difficult" or a "troll" (whatever that means) for all of the same reasons that Vodka is now.

I see nothing that he does as out of line; he's simply a guy who believes what he says and is willing to argue it to folks. Should never be threatening to anyone on a forum where folks share OPINIONS.

... Vodka at least attempts to support his position, Lum?...

This is his original position: "Zain is a beast on top, but he is definitely not exciting to watch on top. He's a master at legal "stalling" with his leg scissors and bow and arrow."

Everything since then has been spinning and backpedaling to get from there to "refs give Zain breaks, is what I meant to say."

This is his original position: "Zain is a beast on top, but he is definitely not exciting to watch on top. He's a master at legal "stalling" with his leg scissors and bow and arrow."

Everything since then has been spinning and backpedaling to get from there to "refs give Zain breaks, is what I meant to say."
Zain stalled his way to a lot of pins in his career.

I actually agree with you on this. I don't find him unreasonable, and, if the truth be told, his style reminds me a lot of ME. I was very passionate about my positions, would argue them until I was blue in the face, and was always deemed "difficult" or a "troll" (whatever that means) for all of the same reasons that Vodka is now.

I see nothing that he does as out of line; he's simply a guy who believes what he says and is willing to argue it to folks. Should never be threatening to anyone on a forum where folks share OPINIONS.

Whenever everyone thinks you are difficult, wrong, whatever, and only you and maybe a few others think you are being reasonable it's time to take a look in the mirror and discover your ARE difficult, wrong, a troll, whatever. Just saying.

Whenever everyone thinks you are difficult, wrong, whatever, and only you and maybe a few others think you are being reasonable it's time to take a look in the mirror and discover your ARE difficult, wrong, a troll, whatever. Just saying.
I disagree, because I knew my heart and my intent. Passionately arguing a point respectfully is not out of line on a forum where people discuss opinions. Attacking others is.

Anything you have to offer on the subject of wrestling would be a) welcome and b) a welcomed subject change.

I should have realized asking about inconsistencies or having a different point of view is not welcome in Pleasantville.

Thats
I should have realized asking about inconsistencies or having a different point of view is not welcome in Pleasantville.
That's hilarious. Posters here include Iowa, Ohio State, Rutgers, UNI, Minnesota, Nebraska and other fans, plus at least 5 or 6 industry professionals. But different points of view not welcome.

As far as pointing out inconsistencies goes: cue up Jim Gibbons, no sh**. What did you expect? When you met the parents, did you call her parents ugly?

Thats

That's hilarious. Posters here include Iowa, Ohio State, Rutgers, UNI, Minnesota, Nebraska and other fans, plus at least 5 or 6 industry professionals. But different points of view not welcome.

As far as pointing out inconsistencies goes: cue up Jim Gibbons, no sh**. What did you expect? When you met the parents, did you call her parents ugly?

I should re phrase, conflicting points of view aren't very welcome. Better? If someone wants to toe the company line or take shots than all is well. I have pointed out a few things and the snide comments are here. It isn't much different than other boards other than the comments are not as snarky but I have been fairly civil in my comments.

The inconsistencies are for you to determine . You don't need our help. This is your own little personal study. Hopefully you'll soon have all of your "data" collected, and return to your land of accusations and delusion. You're starting to sound like a whiny little girl. Have some pride.

Reactions: LumbeeIndian
I should re phrase, conflicting points of view aren't very welcome. Better? If someone wants to toe the company line or take shots than all is well. I have pointed out a few things and the snide comments are here. It isn't much different than other boards other than the comments are not as snarky but I have been fairly civil in my comments.
No, it's still a lie. Unless you actually believe it, in which case it's willful ignorance.

And "pointed out a few things" ... you may have been civil in your tone, but your approach is insulting. We do not need an outsider playing kindergarten cop.

Vodka does attempt to support his positions. But many of his positions are hopelessly flawed and when the flaws are pointed out, he is relentless in doubling and tripling down on said position in multiple threads. I think the incessency of it all frustrated people the most.

Unfortunately, it was only a matter of time for this thread to go sideways...

Reactions: pish69
I think after you made your point, had a chance to clarify, you should be done. Else you could argue with the internet of things for a lifetime. What are you trying to prove and what accomplishment is reached by the continuation of a (mute) point after a period of time? #underestimateselfsatisfaction or #IneedtobeheardandIamright . Unless your Spyker where I get to chuckle just seeing his name and in anticipation of the onslaught...

Reactions: pish69
Was over on hawkcentral.com for a minute and noticed they had 2 photo galleries from the NCAA tournament. Clicked through fully expecting to see some good pics of the Iowa wrestlers in action. And most were of the Iowa boys, but surprisingly there were quite a few pics of non-Iowa wrestlers and coaches … with one obvious exception. Of all the pics I managed to find just 1 that acknowledged the existence of PSU, and that was a pic of the Kem/Nolf match. LOL. Not saying they should’ve had any PSU pics, but the omission just struck me as funny. They didn’t even have a pic of Stoll beating Nevills. It’s almost like they are trying to wipe PSU from their collective memory.

Was over on hawkcentral.com for a minute and noticed they had 2 photo galleries from the NCAA tournament. Clicked through fully expecting to see some good pics of the Iowa wrestlers in action. And most were of the Iowa boys, but surprisingly there were quite a few pics of non-Iowa wrestlers and coaches … with one obvious exception. Of all the pics I managed to find just 1 that acknowledged the existence of PSU, and that was a pic of the Kem/Nolf match. LOL. Not saying they should’ve had any PSU pics, but the omission just struck me as funny. They didn’t even have a pic of Stoll beating Nevills. It’s almost like they are trying to wipe PSU from their collective memory.
PSU has been a nightmare for them.

No, it's still a lie. Unless you actually believe it, in which case it's willful ignorance.

And "pointed out a few things" ... you may have been civil in your tone, but your approach is insulting. We do not need an outsider playing kindergarten cop.

Paragraph 1 'it's all a lie'
Paragraph 2 Arguing against a conflicting opinion.

Where is this 'it is so much easier to have thick skin when your team is winning' mentality? Sorry for not participating in the group think process.

If it's just like other boards, then you can frequent them, and won't miss anything.

Where is this 'it is so much easier to have thick skin when your team is winning' mentality? Sorry for not participating in the group think process.

Oh my God how is this still a thing.

Try going on HR as an outsider and posting about Tom Brands' actual track record as a coach (as opposed to the HR fantasy version) in one of the many "TnT are the best coaches" threads and see how that goes.

Try going on HR as an outsider and posting about Tom Brands' actual track record as a coach (as opposed to the HR fantasy version) in one of the many "TnT are the best coaches" threads and see how that goes.
Tom and Terry are indeed some of the best coaches College wrestling has. No doubt about it

Reactions: minnhawkeye
Your sniveling never ends.

Tom and Terry are indeed some of the best coaches College wrestling has. No doubt about it

Remember when they were supposedly "THE best"? Good thing they had Gable holding their hands in the beginning, because since he's let go, the results have been extremely meager.

Remember when they were supposedly "THE best"? Good thing they had Gable holding their hands in the beginning, because since he's let go, the results have been extremely meager.

Sorry, I don't agree. The Brands brothers are excellent coaches that have generally been in the top five team rankings since their takeover of the program.

They can't help it they are competing against the greatest coach of the modern wrestling era. They are still great coaches.

Sorry, I don't agree. The Brands brothers are excellent coaches that have generally been in the top five team rankings since their takeover of the program.

They can't help it they are competing against the greatest coach of the modern wrestling era. They are still great coaches.

Wouldn't it be nice if this thread could end as it started ... on a positive note.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be nice if this thread could end as it started ... on a positive note.

How's this?

13200179.jpeg

Tom Brands stepped out of a 1-15 dual meet season at VT into the premier program in the country with Dan Gable on staff to transition. With Gable on staff (not to mention the double recruiting class), the program won 3 B1G and NCAA titles. Since Gable left the staff, Iowa, in 8 seasons, has won one share of a B1G crown and no NCAA titles.

Anyone can say anything, but I haven't seen the actual results to back up TnT's "greatness". To ignore the HUGE advantage TnT had coming in is head in the sand material. They had something like a 30 yard head start in a 100 yard dash with the Iowa program. If Zalesky had the track record of TnT, he would have been out on his keister a long time ago.

Reactions: Hartzie
A lot of what put Zalesky out-prematurely, I will add-was that he DIDN'T bow to the immortal Gable and didn't seek any of his advice. Gable was assistant AD at that time, and I recall reading an article where Gable was griping that Zalesky wasn't consulting with him.

So, obviously, that played big role in why he was shown the door.

Tom Brands stepped out of a 1-15 dual meet season at VT into the premier program in the country with Dan Gable on staff to transition. With Gable on staff (not to mention the double recruiting class), the program won 3 B1G and NCAA titles. Since Gable left the staff, Iowa, in 8 seasons, has won one share of a B1G crown and no NCAA titles.

Anyone can say anything, but I haven't seen the actual results to back up TnT's "greatness". To ignore the HUGE advantage TnT had coming in is head in the sand material. They had something like a 30 yard head start in a 100 yard dash with the Iowa program. If Zalesky had the track record of TnT, he would have been out on his keister a long time ago.

Except for Ryan winning a few extra BIGs and 1 NCAAs you can say the same thing about every other coaching staff in Division 1. I agree I wouldn't call TnT "great" coaches but they are very good. Better than all but Cael and staff and Ryan and staff in Division 1.

Reactions: lionlover
Except for Ryan winning a few extra BIGs and 1 NCAAs you can say the same thing about every other coaching staff in Division 1. I agree I wouldn't call TnT "great" coaches but they are very good. Better than all but Cael and staff and Ryan and staff in Division 1.

Not true at all. No one else had Dan Gable on their staff coming in, the established brand that Iowa had or the double recruiting class. Those things were a tremendous advantage - and they were pretty much squandered. I'd put Dresser's accomplishments at VT and Coach Pop at NC State above theirs without even doing any thinking. I'd give John Smith a slot before them, too.

TnT went into the best possible situation in NCAA wrestling. Cael went into a PSU program that had its worst year in a long while and had it on top in his second year. I'll give you top 10 among coaches, but can't see them any higher than 6th on the coaching list.

A lot of what put Zalesky out-prematurely, I will add-was that he DIDN'T bow to the immortal Gable and didn't seek any of his advice. Gable was assistant AD at that time, and I recall reading an article where Gable was griping that Zalesky wasn't consulting with him.

So, obviously, that played big role in why he was shown the door.

Zalesky clearly felt Gable undermined him at Iowa, and I don't see any reason to doubt it. The fact that he joined the staff with TnT only reinforces that impression.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT