ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Appreciation Thread

First of all, Iowa helped us big time in taking out several OSU threats.

Secondly, by Lee beating Suriano, this will help to shut Suriano up...in theory!

When he chose Iowa I thought I would be done with him as a fan, but the fact is he simply fell in love with another school and you gotta respect that. Kid has impressed the heck out of me every time he is interviewed. I will be stunned if he loses another match in college.

Those young guns dudes are pretty special. Spencer is one of my favorite wrestlers, no doubt.

Nutty fans aside, I like Iowa now. I sure didn't during the Gable years--which is how I understand all the salt out there with respect to our fine team.

Lee's story about body slamming his mom before wrestling practice in highschool, and the aftermath was hysterical. Kid is really likeable, besides being an outstanding talent. Iowa struck gold with this kid in more ways than on the mat.

Last edited:
Lee is elite and the next in line, along with Diakomaholis, to Retherford and Snyder. 4x champ is definitely a possibility. Hope he prospers. A great kid... great for wrestling. Can’t say that for the Jersey kid. I usually don’t cheer against someone but I did last night. I hope it works out for him, too, but not now.

Spencer is very likable. Not just because of what he did to Nick, but his personality just screams humble, gracious, respect and fearless. Iowa got a great one.

kid is a total class act. 180 degrees away from Gilman. It's hard to not be a fan and enjoy him wrestling...

Reactions: andegre and TangSoo
Love Lee, hate Suriano. But don't forget ol' Daton Fix will make his appearance next year. 125 is gonna be really fun to watch in the next 3-4 years.

What a topic.
Go spend an hour reading their forum.
There is a price to be paid for inbreeding.

Like termites from rotting woodwork, the worst posters on HR come in droves on the evening of the NCAA finals, with intense hate and bitterness toward PSU. Numerous references of "Ped State", PSU wrestlers on steroids and HGH, PSU wrestlers classless punks, typical hate on Sanderson, PSU wrestlers stalling, refs helping PSU, etc, etc.

HR turns into pretty much a cesspool on NCAA finals night, with usually a few threads that are absolutely shameful. Best just to stay away and don't waste the hour. Plus, you won't feel as dirty.

Last edited:
I echo the praise for Lee. Also want to recognize the high character and excellent wrestling skills of Michael Kemerer. He was nothing but classy toward Nolf before, during, and after their match. I saw him make choices during the match that seemed designed to not reinjure Nolf’s knee. And then there was the extra gesture of congratulations to him after losing. Very impressive young man.

I echo the praise for Lee. Also want to recognize the high character and excellent wrestling skills of Michael Kemerer. He was nothing but classy toward Nolf before, during, and after their match. I saw him make choices during the match that seemed designed to not reinjure Nolf’s knee. And then there was the extra gesture of congratulations to him after losing. Very impressive young man.
Yup. What happened to his elbow/shoulder?

Like termites from rotting woodwork, the worst posters on HR come in droves on the evening of the NCAA finals, with intense hate and bitterness toward PSU. Numerous references of "Ped State", PSU wrestlers on steroids and HGH, PSU wrestlers classless, typical hate on Sanderson, PSU wrestlers stalling, refs helping PSU, etc, etc.

HR turns into pretty much a cesspool on NCAA finals night, with usually a few threads that are absolutely shameful. Best just to stay away and don't waste the hour. Plus, you won't feel as dirty.

Let's not forget the ever-popular "He quit at ISU because he was a failure and couldn't get it done". The fact ISU won the Big 12 all three years and finished 2nd, 5th and 3rd at NCAA's under Sanderson is totally meaningless to them. All that matters is their bullshit narrative. What makes it hilarious is we're not talking about one or two lunatic posters. Crabby usually calls them out but he's the only one.

Last edited:
I hated seeing that happen to Kemdog. He is one of my favorites to watch and I was anticipating the beat down he was about to deliver to Berger. It was weird how it happened as it simply popped out. Very good medical people in Iowa City so he is in good hands.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Spencer Lee took out Tomasello and he beat Suriano which was great, but the reason I can root for Spencer even with that black singlet on is because he is just so much fun to watch wrestle. He is always wrestling to score and win.

Wait until HR fans realize that Lee is a Penn State plant, as an insurance policy to upset Oh St and help Penn State win another title...

Developing...

;)

Lee is very likeable. Stoll’s antics were awful. He needs to learn how to lose, hopefully TnT turn this weekend into a teaching moment for him. Marinelli’s actions this weekend also kind of bothered me but overall he seems like a tough and respectable kid. Tough tourney for BS, but he’s a 4x AA, nothing to be ashamed of. Kemerer hopefully isn’t hurt too bad, and I thought Turk wrestled his ass off. Iowa likely the closest competition next year. Should be fun!

Hey, guys. Hope you don't mind if a Hawk fan sneaks in. Since I got several likes from PSU fans over on HR, thought I would try out some conversation with y'all. (Don't worry. I don't just call out, I shame those relatively few Hawk fans who are fixated on the Sandusky story and go all "Ped State" on Lions fans. That shit is sick. Nor do I call your coach "Carl" or "Bael." Poor sports never give up an opportunity to name-call).

But, first things first. Congratulations! Your studs got it done...again. I am getting so stinking jealous of your success. Born and raised in Iowa, I don't have much to get behind (Cyclones? What school is that?). And, of course, there are no pro sports teams in our low-populated state. (But, hey, we have the blackest, richest topsoil in the world that helps put the finest steaks on your dinner table!)

I was drawn by this thread, started by Lionlover. He wrote a really nice piece over on HR, but I actually want to argue against his case, a bit. I actually don't think Sorensen was the tipping point for PSU. Sure, he beat Hayes in the wrestlebacks, but I think Hayes was over-rated. And he would have had to beat #7 Deakin, then #8 Lewallen, then a very scrappy #11 Kolodzik, and then #3 Leeth to make 3rd place. I don't think Hayes had the skill set to plow through that field. So, even if Sorensen was not his draw on the back side, I think Hayes only scores a couple more points, and not enough to change the final standings. I was just aching for Sorensen to have one more go at Zain, since he was about the only competitor to give the "Train" any challenge past two years.

That said, I think you guys won another crown simply because your top 5 got it done, just as last year (minus Hall, of course). Four champs and lots of bonus pts. will almost always put a team in contention, let alone give you a chance of winning it all.

But, I do add here that it's interesting that the top spot is more hotly contested, these days. We Iowans love the glory days of the 80s and 90s, when several tournaments were decided by Friday night, the Hawks scoring anywhere from 150-170 points, with a 50-point gap between 1st and 2nd. I think those days are mostly gone. Yeah, everyone wants to dominate. But let's all agree that tight races are fun, and actually help bring out the fans. That's all good for the sport.

Congrats, once again, to PSU. And long live college wrestling.

And, of course, there are no pro sports teams in our low-populated state.​

I had to dig deep for this:
636324524967191185-700x400-Barnstormers-logo.jpg

Hey, guys. Hope you don't mind if a Hawk fan sneaks in. Since I got several likes from PSU fans over on HR, thought I would try out some conversation with y'all. (Don't worry. I don't just call out, I shame those relatively few Hawk fans who are fixated on the Sandusky story and go all "Ped State" on Lions fans. That shit is sick. Nor do I call your coach "Carl" or "Bael." Poor sports never give up an opportunity to name-call).

But, first things first. Congratulations! Your studs got it done...again. I am getting so stinking jealous of your success. Born and raised in Iowa, I don't have much to get behind (Cyclones? What school is that?). And, of course, there are no pro sports teams in our low-populated state. (But, hey, we have the blackest, richest topsoil in the world that helps put the finest steaks on your dinner table!)

I was drawn by this thread, started by Lionlover. He wrote a really nice piece over on HR, but I actually want to argue against his case, a bit. I actually don't think Sorensen was the tipping point for PSU. Sure, he beat Hayes in the wrestlebacks, but I think Hayes was over-rated. And he would have had to beat #7 Deakin, then #8 Lewallen, then a very scrappy #11 Kolodzik, and then #3 Leeth to make 3rd place. I don't think Hayes had the skill set to plow through that field. So, even if Sorensen was not his draw on the back side, I think Hayes only scores a couple more points, and not enough to change the final standings. I was just aching for Sorensen to have one more go at Zain, since he was about the only competitor to give the "Train" any challenge past two years.

That said, I think you guys won another crown simply because your top 5 got it done, just as last year (minus Hall, of course). Four champs and lots of bonus pts. will almost always put a team in contention, let alone give you a chance of winning it all.

But, I do add here that it's interesting that the top spot is more hotly contested, these days. We Iowans love the glory days of the 80s and 90s, when several tournaments were decided by Friday night, the Hawks scoring anywhere from 150-170 points, with a 50-point gap between 1st and 2nd. I think those days are mostly gone. Yeah, everyone wants to dominate. But let's all agree that tight races are fun, and actually help bring out the fans. That's all good for the sport.

Congrats, once again, to PSU. And long live college wrestling.

All grounded Hawk fans like yourself are welcome. Thanks for the post and please do come back in the future!:)

Nice post OhioHawk. Always great to commune with fellow wrestling enthusiasts, regardless of their loyalties or favorite colors. I think you'll find the vast majority of regulars here are reasonable and rational folks. We are all very grateful for the help we got from Iowa in the NCAA tourney this year. I was happy to see you guys do better than many predicted. Congrats on a solid tournament. Do you have any intel on Kem's injury? Sure hope he's ok.

Spencer is very likable. Not just because of what he did to Nick, but his personality just screams humble, gracious, respect and fearless. Iowa got a great one.

Great kid! I wish he was ta PSU. I loved the story about how is Mom who was judo champion but him in submission hold and made him tap out in front of his friends after he threw her to the ground to hard!

There is some absolutely embarrassing stuff right now absolutely. Please realize that our HR board is spewing with people who haven't watched wrestling all year and then watch NCAA's on ESPN and wonder where PSU came from and why the Hawks would EVER finish 3rd. I think 80% of the ridiculousness (Sandusky crap, PED's, etc) I've seen is from posters I've never seen on our board before. Give it a few weeks and they'll take a break for about 345 days. The other 20% are the regulars who hate you guys...well because we should..you're the new dynasty. The inbred comment was a little funny. I've been to rural PA man...stop it.

Congrats on another great tourney guys! So many great wrestlers up and down your lineup. In my head I keep telling myself they'll graduate soon but then I see your next recruiting class and just kinda sigh. Hopefully we're there soon to make you guys have to wrestle well on Saturday night to win it instead of Ohio State :) Congrats again!

Hawkeyes had a great tournament. My only concern with Lee entering college was injuries. Glad to see him make it through year one without re-injuring his knee or shoulder. Good luck to him going forward.

And a big thanks for eliminating Suriano from the title. And, no, the blabbing from the banks of the Raritan will never stop. "That's what we do! We talk!". ;)

Reactions: nitlion6
There is some absolutely embarrassing stuff right now absolutely. Please realize that our HR board is spewing with people who haven't watched wrestling all year and then watch NCAA's on ESPN and wonder where PSU came from and why the Hawks would EVER finish 3rd. I think 80% of the ridiculousness (Sandusky crap, PED's, etc) I've seen is from posters I've never seen on our board before. Give it a few weeks and they'll take a break for about 345 days. The other 20% are the regulars who hate you guys...well because we should..you're the new dynasty. The inbred comment was a little funny. I've been to rural PA man...stop it.

Congrats on another great tourney guys! So many great wrestlers up and down your lineup. In my head I keep telling myself they'll graduate soon but then I see your next recruiting class and just kinda sigh. Hopefully we're there soon to make you guys have to wrestle well on Saturday night to win it instead of Ohio State :) Congrats again!

I wonder if HR's 'casual fans' lurk the wrestling board all year and see your regular posters predicting 5 finalists/3 champs/couple other AA's (blah, blah, blah) all year.
Then, when they see the final tourney results, your regular posters can't understand why 'those people' had such high expectations?? Think it thru.

It's about 10 years into PSU's run. The Gable excuse doesn't fly anymore.

And it's WAY more than 20% of regulars that hate PSU. IMO

BTW: I love seeing the PA influence nowadays on the Hawk roster. Root for 'em all [circumstances pending].

I really have no problem with optimistic predictions or excitement from any fan base (Heck I have a fellow former Cyclone friend who thinks we will be top five within 3 years lol). The problem is the weird fixation with a scandal that had zero to do with PSU wrestling and an ever growing jealousy of all things Cael. People post crazy things out of jealousy rage and very few even shun them for these actions. HR was once a very solid board, but it is now comprised of 30% blind rage idiots, 30% over the top optimists, and 40% good decent wrestling fans. I for one would love to see the guys we all respect re assert dominance on the board. There are still so many great Hawkeye fans it is just the actions of the few drown out the voices of the sane. PSU is suffering from the old "they hate us cause they ain't us" syndrome.

Hawkeyes had a great tournament. My only concern with Lee entering college was injuries. Glad to see him make it through year one without re-injuring his knee or shoulder. Good luck to him going forward.

And a big thanks for eliminating Suriano from the title. And, no, the blabbing from the banks of the Raritan will never stop. "That's what we do! We talk!". ;)
I also shared those physical concerns. However, he now looks like a very sturdy 125 pounder.

I really have no problem with optimistic predictions or excitement from any fan base (Heck I have a fellow former Cyclone friend who thinks we will be top five within 3 years lol). The problem is the weird fixation with a scandal that had zero to do with PSU wrestling and an ever growing jealousy of all things Cael. People post crazy things out of jealousy rage and very few even shun them for these actions. HR was once a very solid board, but it is now comprised of 30% blind rage idiots, 30% over the top optimists, and 40% good decent wrestling fans. I for one would love to see the guys we all respect re assert dominance on the board. There are still so many great Hawkeye fans it is just the actions of the few drown out the voices of the sane. PSU is suffering from the old "they hate us cause they ain't us" syndrome.
Just like here, judicious use of the "IGNORE" function takes care of most of the over-the-line BS.

I read these boards often but haven't posted in a long long time. I've told this story years ago.
My in-laws live in Iowa City, close to Dan Gable. In my younger days I use to run by his house when I was in town, usually in a Penn St shirt. He often gave me crap for it in passing. One day he was working in his yard by the road and I stopped for a chat. Back then he told me if Penn St gets the right coach they could dominate the sport like his teams did. Boy was he right!
I look for him often when I drive by and don't know if he still live there. Hope to run into him again soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT