ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Appreciation Thread

What is that you hope to accomplish with this back and forth?

A better understanding. The people that head to HR don't represent psu well at all. Trying to see if they are the outliers or if it is just typical of the fan base. Any insights on what has been said on HR to earn the ban hammer by posters?

A better understanding. The people that head to HR don't represent psu well at all. Trying to see if they are the outliers or if it is just typical of the fan base. Any insights on what has been said on HR to earn the ban hammer by posters?

What do the PSU fans do on the HR that arent representing PSU well? Do you have a copy and paste you could provide? I believe context is everything in this exercise, but lets see.

This has the feeling of million dollar federal study of why moths are attracted to light, but you have peaked my interest.

What do the PSU fans do on the HR that arent representing PSU well? Do you have a copy and paste you could provide? I believe context is everything in this exercise, but lets see.

This has the feeling of million dollar federal study of why moths are attracted to light, but you have peaked my interest.

To post in context would be difficult, too much stuff to move. I will keep my eyes open and see what I can find 'poison dwarfs' if reference to Brands might be one. I will find it because it may have been here rather than there. How is my spelling? Does it pass? Eye red hear dat HR iz a pour spelling bored.

To post in context would be difficult, too much stuff to move. I will keep my eyes open and see what I can find 'poison dwarfs' if reference to Brands might be one. I will find it because it may have been here rather than there. How is my spelling? Does it pass? Eye red hear dat HR iz a pour spelling bored.

poison dwarfs? Thats new, and I must have missed that one. That would appear to be rude on its face, but its hardly comparable to the easily accessible cael sanderson thread on the HR. You would agree, right?

As for the spelling thing, I hope your not directly that at me. Cuz it isnt this guy complaining about that. If your issue is with people complaining about spelling on the internet, thats not a psu/bwi vs hawk/HR thing that is rampant on the internet. Twitter, facebook, reddit, etc all have people that type fast and then have people that look past their argument for a punch down and use "spelling" to do it. its weak in my opinion, but its hardly a thing specific to this back and forth that your trying to understand.

Better understanding?

I look at folks as basically the same. From a wrestling standpoint, Iowa fans aren't overall unlike PSU fans, or Ohio State fans, or Okie State fans, or Minny fans, and on and on. Iowa fans, in wrestling, are used to winning championships, so that's different, but again, I look at people as basically the same. The dynamic that's new in the past decade is that PSU is winning championships. That places a target on our back, and causes many emotions from other team's fans. For the most mature fans, imo, it creates respect and a want for their team to improve. For the least mature, it causes vitriol and hate, accusations and false claims, to an extreme. All others are somewhere in between.

If the shoe was on the other foot for the next decade, let's say Iowa is winning championships, and Penn State wasn't, I believe the mood and the content on this board would turn for the worse.

Fortunately, the turn-for-the-worse is the result of only a handful of posters spitting their hate. I know a lot of Penn State fans, and have interacted a bunch with other fan bases, and it is refreshing and enjoyable to sit and talk wrestling with most. From an HR standpoint, the worst of Iowa posters control the board. Hateful posts against every aspect of the PSU program, or an attack on PSU posters, to the point where the name-calling is atrocious, gets "likes" galore, and then it becomes mob mentality and a feeding frenzy. To those, "class" is a foreign character trait, and classlessness reigns.

The HR board is a good board to me, as I apparently find it easier than most to ignore the worst of their posters, believing that each one has, for the world to see, shown their ignorance, immaturity, mindlessness, etc. by their posting, far better than I could verbalize (better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt). Penn State, Cael, the NLWC, and all, don't need me nor anyone else to come to their rescue, and preserve their honor. Again, hateful people say hateful things, and trying to talk about it with folks that are that full of hate is fruitless.

Therein lies part of the problem. In the itsy bitsy corner of the wrestling universe, called HR, some PSU poster are answering hate with hate, and it escalates from there. Believe me, in 45 years of going to PSU football games, wrestling matches, and many other sports events, and my involvement with the wrestling program, I've seen some horrible behaviors. If there's solace in seeing that, it's the knowledge that it's a minority.

First off, these boards are free, therefore, fans from any school can post on them. Iowa fans came here in droves back in 2011-12 to tell all of us what vile bastards we are. They were exceeded only by Pitt fans for worst overall.
Second, the attacks on Sanderson's integrity are ridiculous. The inferences to cheating, without proof, are a board staple on HR.
The attacks on Bo Nickal were stupid in light of your own wrestler Stoll's meltdown. Nobody on HR ever thought about why Bo went off in the specific way he did. Listening to, and reading the condescension heeped on PSU wrestlers in Cleveland, it is easy to see why Bo exploded after his pin of Martin. Saturday was going to be a coronation of Ahia State as king of wrestling. The Lions crashed the festivities.

Roar had the perfect overall analysis. Just to expand one part of it a little more. It's easier to be thicker skinned when your team is winning. Could you imagine the response on HR if an Iowa fan started a thread titled "Penn State Appreciation Thread"? I shudder at the thought.

Anyway, Iowa had a good tournament and has a great shot at having their 1st 4 time champ. (We'll get ours first though :rolleyes:)

Reactions: Gebmo
Roar had the perfect overall analysis. Just to expand one part of it a little more. It's easier to be thicker skinned when your team is winning. Could you imagine the response on HR if an Iowa fan started a thread titled "Penn State Appreciation Thread"? I shudder at the thought.

Anyway, Iowa had a good tournament and has a great shot at having their 1st 4 time champ. (We'll get ours first though :rolleyes:)
Your right, Iowa did have a very good tournament. Going into it, it looked like they would have a struggle to finish top 4, finished 3rd comfortably which is the best anyone could reasonably expect given the loaded teams PSU and tOSU had.

They also scored the most bonus points by 6 over tOSU and 7 over PSU and for the second year in a row they have wrestled above seed as a team which breaks a 5 year trend. Seems the Brands boys are adjusting to the new reality of college wrestling, bonus and peaking at the end of the season.

Throw-in that the only significant scorer they lose is Sorenson and he will be replaced by Lugo, plus adding Warner to the line-up along with a possible 4 time champion in Lee, things seem to be looking up for Iowa.

The Iowa fans should be more basking in their future trajectory which seems good and less concerned about pissing matches with PSU fans or bashing PSU. They can bash PSU all they want, Cael and company are not going anywhere for a while.

Strange that we have to defend ourselves to a Hawk fan in a thread titled 'Iowa Appreciation Thread'.

I don't go over there, but I'm guessing there aren't any similar threads on HR giving Cael and company their due.

Reactions: PSU Yinzer
Strange that we have to defend ourselves to a Hawk fan in a thread titled 'Iowa Appreciation Thread'.

I don't go over there, but I'm guessing there aren't any similar threads on HR giving Cael and company their due.
They do have a Cael appreciation thread going strong.

I took that comment as reference to HR's intentional misspelling of names?

I took that comment as reference to HR's intentional misspelling of names?

Actually it was in one of the threads when I stopped by here. Believe there was also a comment about in breeding in Iowa by the same poster. Very much in the minority over here it seems. As was mentioned it is easier to shrug things off when your team is dominant. I do find it interesting that nobody has addressed getting the ban hammer at HR and what it took to get that. It was said the mods over there are quick to ban but if you read that board it doesn't seem that way.

Actually it was in one of the threads when I stopped by here. Believe there was also a comment about in breeding in Iowa by the same poster. Very much in the minority over here it seems. As was mentioned it is easier to shrug things off when your team is dominant. I do find it interesting that nobody has addressed getting the ban hammer at HR and what it took to get that. It was said the mods over there are quick to ban but if you read that board it doesn't seem that way.

It might have changed over time. I think one of HR's mods got tired of the complaints so maybe there is a higher standard to get banned now. For example, I know JT got banned a couple of times for being just a little annoying a while back. That jackass Lumbee is far worse than JT and he's still on HR.

They do have a Cael appreciation thread going strong.

I just went over to check it out. I don't know if I would call it 'giving Cael, or is it Bael, his due'.

It's mostly passive-aggressive stuff with a few PSU fans defending Cael's honor.

Last edited:

I will go on the record and say this guy is NOT a poison dwarf. Nobody does marketing better than the brands

Reactions: WildTurk
Do the Hockeye people on HR represent the fan base well?

I just went over to check it out. I don't know if I would call it 'giving Cael, or is Bael, his due'.

It's mostly passive-aggressive stuff with a few PSU fans defending Cael's honor.
Cael "appreciation" was tongue in cheek.

Maybe a decade or two after Cael retires HR may then be capable of appreciating everything Cael accomplishes.

Last edited:
I'll give insight into the ban hammer here versus HR: I was banned there in almost no time for an apparent, "rules violation," yet all I did was defend myself from my opening post against attacks from those hyenas. I even posted one story in total error, apologized repeatedly for it, yet was continually attacked and questioned.

If you doubt me, feel free to search and read my posts over there and clue me in as to where I first attacked people and where exactly I broke forum rules.

With that said, I wouldn't go back over and try to talk with those hyenas if I was paid to do so. Disrespectful bunch of entitled goofs.
next time, I won't hold back.

Cue in Orangeman (or whatever his name is who runs the Wrestling for Life thing...NOW!).

I will go on the record and say this guy is NOT a poison dwarf. Nobody does marketing better than the brands

I agree he’s definitely NOT poison (rude!), and I was prepared to emphatically declare he’s not a dwarf, but google gave me this definition of “dwarf” and now I’m less sure:

dwarf
dwôrf/
noun
  1. 1.
    (in folklore or fantasy literature) a member of a mythical race of short, stocky humanlike creatures who are generally skilled in mining and metalworking.
    synonyms: gnome, goblin, hobgoblin, troll, imp, halfling, elf, brownie, leprechaun
  2. 2.
    ASTRONOMY
    a star of relatively small size and low luminosity, including the majority of main sequence stars

Last edited:
I find Jammenz to be a funny,strategic poster 90% of the time. He has a pretty good sense of timing. It kind of reminds me of the old Laverne and Shirley episodes when Lenny and Squiggy would show up. The terrible news is he will start having more to brag about in the coming few years as Minnesota is going to get better.

Yeah, try and work on that analogy. So, BWI posters are like undereducated bitches who only look better because equally uneducated goofy men enter into the scene...:rolleyes:o_O:confused:
@tgar (Punch in my time clock for me, OK?)

Reactions: jack66
Yeah, try and work on that analogy. So, BWI posters are like undereducated bitches who only look better because equally uneducated goofy men enter into the scene...:rolleyes:o_O:confused:
@tgar (Punch in my time clock for me, OK?)

Not much to work on as that sums it up pretty well. I would never belong to any club that would have me as a member.

From my experience on HR and Scarlet Nation, you can be banned for stating unpopular opinions, even if you don't engage in personal attacks, flaming,etc. Conversely, if you toe the company line, you are allowed to engage in all sorts of personal attacks, etc. There is a big premium placed on maintaining delusions by squelching debate.

Reactions: Ban Basketball
From my experience on HR and Scarlet Nation, you can be banned for stating unpopular opinions, even if you don't engage in personal attacks, flaming,etc. Conversely, if you toe the company line, you are allowed to engage in all sorts of personal attacks, etc. There is a big premium placed on maintaining delusions by squelching debate.

I am going to disagree on this one. Lum is still on that board and he is possibly one of the biggest jackwagons around, lion goes over and pokes with his Eddie Haskell 'who me?' Schtick. There is plenty of open discussion allowed, plenty of rules violations that are unchecked. Perhaps some of the issues and it either comes with being the dominant program or it is the Pleasantville there is no wrong in Happy Valley persona that seems to be prevalent. That there is nothing(and I rarely use absolutes) that could possibly be questioned about anything PSU. I know not all posters share that approach but it seems far more prevalent than elsewhere.

...the Pleasantville there is no wrong in Happy Valley persona that seems to be prevalent. That there is nothing(and I rarely use absolutes) that could possibly be questioned about anything PSU. I know not all posters share that approach but it seems far more prevalent than elsewhere.

I'm going to do the unpopular thing here, and agree with you to a degree on this. I've lived in State College for nearly my entire life, and I do think the town suffers en masse' from an inability to admit that everything isn't always perfect here. I love living here, it's a great place to live. To me, it simply doesn't matter one way or another if it's THE BEST place to live. But a lot of people here feel that way, and get very indignant if you point out a flaw. Yes, I am speaking in broad strokes, and there is a lot of variation. But I still think it's our private hubris at times.

PS--we have THE BEST wrestling team, full stop. ;)

Last edited:
I'm going to do the unpopular thing here, and agree with you to a degree on this. I've lived in State College for nearly my entire life, and I do think the town suffers en masse' from an inability to admit that everything isn't always perfect here. I love living here, it's a great place to live. To me, it simply doesn't matter one way or another if it's THE BEST place to live. But a lot of people here feel that way, and get very indignant if you point out a flaw. Yes, I am speaking in broad strokes, and there is a lot of variation. But I still think it's our private hubris at times.

PS--we have THE BEST wrestling team, full stop. ;)

There is no arguing the wrestling part. I spent The BIG tournament in IC next to the PSU team, seemed like a good group.

There is no arguing the wrestling part. I spent The BIG tournament in IC next to the PSU team, seemed like a good group.
...and vice-versa, all but one dude. We even shared a hotel with out-of-town Hawkeye fans, probably 50-50 in our hotel.

They were awesome...ate breakfast together, and stayed up late talking wrestling.

...and vice-versa, all but one dude. We even shared a hotel with out-of-town Hawkeye fans, probably 50-50 in our hotel.

They were awesome...ate breakfast together, and stayed up late talking wrestling.

Up late and up early talking with the same group and a great time was had by all. :D

I am going to disagree on this one. Lum is still on that board and he is possibly one of the biggest jackwagons around, lion goes over and pokes with his Eddie Haskell 'who me?' Schtick. There is plenty of open discussion allowed, plenty of rules violations that are unchecked. Perhaps some of the issues and it either comes with being the dominant program or it is the Pleasantville there is no wrong in Happy Valley persona that seems to be prevalent. That there is nothing(and I rarely use absolutes) that could possibly be questioned about anything PSU. I know not all posters share that approach but it seems far more prevalent than elsewhere.
First. Lum is still on the board, but that is his at least third board personality. The first 2 were more respectful than Lum, but were booted. I am guessing the moderators are just tired of listening to the whine.

As far as nothing may be questioned about PSU. If the thread conversation was about wrestling issues like so and so needs to open his offensive skill set up, or so and so rides below the waist too much or whatever the responses may not be agreeable. They probably would not be as disrespectful.

The huge push back is against the Penn State cheats posts, or Cael is a scumbag posts. Branding those responses as a generalized negative is ridiculous, but hey. There are reasons for the HR expectations.

Lum as your example shows your depth on this overall topic.

Two things-

Tom Brands' 2018 Hawkeyes out-bonused every one of Cael Sanderson's PSU squads at The Nationals except last year's 32.5.
125-2TF/2Falls
141-One Major
149-Three majors
157-Two pins
165-Two Pins
184-One maj, one TF
197-One Maj
HWY-Three pins and one maj
Bonus points are rolling in to Iowa city!

2nd thing. HR's dad would kick the crap out of BWI's dad anyday. Bet;) my life savings on it!

Two things-

Tom Brands' 2018 Hawkeyes out-bonused every one of Cael Sanderson's PSU squads at The Nationals except last year's 32.5.
125-2TF/2Falls
141-One Major
149-Three majors
157-Two pins
165-Two Pins
184-One maj, one TF
197-One Maj

2nd thing. HR's dad would kick the crap out of BWI's dad anyday. Bet;) my life savings on it!
One thing I’d like to see is the split between front side bonus and consy bonus. Lots of Hawkeyes went to consis early - hence more opportunities for bonus and they are wrestling some guys who might be dejected. That said, I have said a few of our guys lacked some pop this year at the tourney and 30 BPs is getting the job done regardless.

Just imagine a tourney where a bonus maniac like Nolf gets knocked into consis early and gets 2/3 extra matches.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Two things-

125-2TF/2Falls
141-One Major
149-Three majors
157-Two pins
165-Two Pins
184-One maj, one TF
197-One Maj

Soon to be wife with little guy coming behind that. Your life savings now belongs to them.

Two things-

125-2TF/2Falls
141-One Major
149-Three majors
157-Two pins
165-Two Pins
184-One maj, one TF
197-One Maj

Iowa had themselves a terrific tournament.

Two things-

125-2TF/2Falls
141-One Major
149-Three majors
157-Two pins
165-Two Pins
184-One maj, one TF
197-One Maj

Iowa had a great tournament, and a nice team. By the way, 197's Bonus Point win was a Fall. Maybe a bit too excited when you posted this :)?

Soon to be wife with little guy coming behind that. Your life savings now belongs to them.
That isn't a joke! I already knew in the thread about getting engaged but I am indeed going to be a father! It was early in the pregnancy so we didn't make it public. Now we are past the higher risk stage so it's ok to mention. Especially with a bunch of strangers on the internet

I bought a new handgun and working on a new truck(forsure need a Quad cab now:cool:) before the baby comes around September. Lord knows I won't be able to afterwards:D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT