ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Appreciation Thread

2 weeks ago I would have skipped over this thread and not even read it. After the performance this weekend, most of Iowa's guys showed up to wrestle. Lee was like an un-caged animal without the knee brace and Marinelli came out to score points in the early rounds like I've never seen him do before. There is a really good chance that Kemerer makes the finals if he's on the opposite side of Nolf (biggest joke of the tournament was 157 seeding debacle and quarterfinal match-ups). Marinelli had more offense in his first two round at NCAA's than he did all year up to that. Kuddos to Tom and the coaching staff getting them ready and essentially having a polar opposite showing from the B1G's to NCAA's. All in all it was an impressive performance considering they almost/should have lost to Illinois in a dual meet earlier this year. Congrats to the true Iowa fans and I like reading different takes on here so by all means, keep posting.

P.S. HR is still unreadable unfortunately

I read these boards often but haven't posted in a long long time. I've told this story years ago.
My in-laws live in Iowa City, close to Dan Gable. In my younger days I use to run by his house when I was in town, usually in a Penn St shirt. He often gave me crap for it in passing. One day he was working in his yard by the road and I stopped for a chat. Back then he told me if Penn St gets the right coach they could dominate the sport like his teams did. Boy was he right!
I look for him often when I drive by and don't know if he still live there. Hope to run into him again soon.

Long time. Thanks for the story.

Hope you are well G in Omaha!

Let's not forget the ever-popular "He quit at ISU because he was a failure and couldn't get it done". The fact ISU won the Big 12 all three years and finished 2nd, 5th and 3rd at NCAA's under Sanderson is totally meaningless to them. All that matters is their bullshit narrative. What makes it hilarious is we're not talking about one or two lunatic posters. Crabby usually calls them out but he's the only one.
Careful. You're in danger of making false generalizations! There are many of us Hawk fans who call out invectives directed toward Sanderson and that whole damn "Ped State" story line. From the other direction, there will always be those who think posters from other fan bases are trolls, no matter what good things they have to say. I'm here to try to present a better example. I just think we wrestling fans deserve good wrestling boards.

Iowa had a great NCAA- IMO--all of their wrestlers showed that Iowa is alive and well in the wrestling ranks--their kids have grit!
Going into it I figured Turk would have 3 matched total at NCAA--what a tourny he had.
I feel bad for Sorenson--tough break for a senior--I enjoyed watching Brandon career he was always a fighter and seemed to be a great young man.

it is my believe that if not for Zain, Brandon would have 2 to 3 titles.

Reactions: smealpsu2005
I really have no problem with optimistic predictions or excitement from any fan base (Heck I have a fellow former Cyclone friend who thinks we will be top five within 3 years lol). The problem is the weird fixation with a scandal that had zero to do with PSU wrestling and an ever growing jealousy of all things Cael. People post crazy things out of jealousy rage and very few even shun them for these actions. HR was once a very solid board, but it is now comprised of 30% blind rage idiots, 30% over the top optimists, and 40% good decent wrestling fans. I for one would love to see the guys we all respect re assert dominance on the board. There are still so many great Hawkeye fans it is just the actions of the few drown out the voices of the sane. PSU is suffering from the old "they hate us cause they ain't us" syndrome.
Yeah, James, I know all about the hate. I wear a few of my Iowa Wrestling T-shirts around here (Cleveland, Ohio area) and I get guys coming up to me to tell me they "hate Iowa." I get dirty looks at our Fitness 19 gym. One wrestler that goes to our church always calls me a "Iowa homer." Well, duh, dude. (So I nail him with the fact that tOSU has beat Iowa in duals only twice in the past 35 years.) People do hate winners, unfortunately. I try to avoid that crap. I have no problem congratulating champions. And one of my proudest recent memories was when the Iowa section joined in the standing ovation for David Taylor's last match.

Wrestling is such an amazing sport, though, isnt' it? It's near violence on the mat. But it has such potential to humanize people. If fans could only go into "the room" just once and see how hard all these guys work (note to Nickal...ALL wrestlers work hard every day!) then maybe their appreciation for other teams athletes would overcome their knee-jerk jealousy-hate.

Long time. Thanks for the story.

Hope you are well G in Omaha!
All is well here! Still trying to keep these husker fans in line. Took some crap about our Vball team this year but we'll get them soon, I hope.

Reactions: T J
Has anyone ever looked at the Iowa Roster picture on the website? It is interesting that Lee is the only one with a natural smile(Moody Joking?)...it looks like him and Moody did not get the don't smile Memo. I do understand that is the thing often to look tough in a sports picture, its just an observation that Lee is very different from the rest of the team in that picture. I never really bought into the Iowa does not have fun narrative so maybe lee will have that entire team smiling in the photo by the time he is a senior...lol?...I really enjoyed watching him wrestle at the tourney...he is awesome!!

Reactions: EPC FAN
Spencer Lee took out Tomasello and he beat Suriano which was great, but the reason I can root for Spencer even with that black singlet on is because he is just so much fun to watch wrestle. He is always wrestling to score and win.
He's from the Keystone state PERIOD. I wish him losses only to Penn State wrestlers. I have my limits, which some say are limitless.

Careful. You're in danger of making false generalizations! There are many of us Hawk fans who call out invectives directed toward Sanderson and that whole damn "Ped State" story line. From the other direction, there will always be those who think posters from other fan bases are trolls, no matter what good things they have to say. I'm here to try to present a better example. I just think we wrestling fans deserve good wrestling boards.

I gave you a like for using the word "invectives.":)

Reactions: RandyL
First visit to this board, good stuff here. Some venom directed towards the HR board. Is there a way that the PSU faithful could police their own that visit that board? It can go off the tracks at times but there is usually a little nudge that pushes it that way. That nudge has a tendency to have a PSU flavor to it. In reading this board today I get the feeling that the consensus would be that your fans are above that and would never stoop to that level. Perhaps looking at what is posted there by the PSU supporters in an objective manner would help in that process. It would help clean up that board and help with building the sport that your team is dominating

First visit to this board, good stuff here. Some venom directed towards the HR board. Is there a way that the PSU faithful could police their own that visit that board? It can go off the tracks at times but there is usually a little nudge that pushes it that way. That nudge has a tendency to have a PSU flavor to it. In reading this board today I get the feeling that the consensus would be that your fans are above that and would never stoop to that level. Perhaps looking at what is posted there by the PSU supporters in an objective manner would help in that process. It would help clean up that board and help with building the sport that your team is dominating
My objective opinion saw a thread at the top of the board titled "Cael Sanderson" and it wasn't complementary things. There was another called attacking Bo Nickal. Here there is a thread complementing Iowa and congratulating Spencer Lee... If HR has threads attacking PSU, expect PSU fans to speaks up.

As stated before and many times over, PSU must have won if the HR board goes off on Cael, slush fund, steroids, ped State, etc.... I suspect it’s a very small faction of their nation who can’t move on from Gable.

Wrestling is different today. Much more competitive. Much more talent. Gable was to Wrestling as Wooden was to Basketball. Now, Cael is the Saban of Wrestling. It is what it is....

One thread recently on HR is how the Hawks can get to 150-165 points next year. Fortunately, so more level headed contributors are so inclined.

Love the banter and respect all programs, coaches, and competitors. It’s a sport where you can not hide for long. No quarter asked and no quarter given.

Love Lee, hate Suriano. But don't forget ol' Daton Fix will make his appearance next year. 125 is gonna be really fun to watch in the next 3-4 years.

I think Fix goes 133 and trashes Surriano's dream yet again. Both are moving up in weight next year IMO

Worst sport the entire weekend:
1. Desanto vs Micic
2. Stoll multiple times...embarrassing

Not sure how HR glosses over Stoll's embarrassing reactions to getting stuck but bitch and moan about Bo's excitement and straight truth after winning an individual and team title.

Reactions: diggerpup
HR has been talking Stoll up as top dog next year.... not much mention about his poor sportsmanship act that I saw. We saw it at the BJC during the dual. Dude has to chill.

Our tickets were in the middle of the Hawkeye nation. Had 3 Ohio State guys to the left and the rest Hawkeyes. Had some great chats with both groups before during and after the matches. I commented during the first round that Turk was looking good from pigtail to I think blood round. I felt like as a whole the Iowa guys were out hustling their opponents. I watched the tOSU guys cheer Conel when he jacked up Moore and tossed him. He said there is the team race. We were sitting next to each other during the medal round when Conel again out wrestled Moore. I don't think I am alone when I say I thought the body lock was a bit of a fluke and Moore would be ready for it the second time. All in all it was a great weekend. Good fans as we were all celebrating great wrestling. I stood in applause for both Kem and Sorensen. Quality guys. I stood and cheered on Synder as he won. I'm biased to PSU as I watched Cael as a HS kid beating the field at Wasatch. But that doesn't diminish my love of quality wrestling.

Had to take a break from the HR for a bit. Guys are a little over zealous. Even when I suggested that Spencer Lee should have been in consideration for OW I was tarred and feathered with hawk down.

HR has been talking Stoll up as top dog next year.... not much mention about his poor sportsmanship act that I saw. We saw it at the BJC during the dual. Dude has to chill.

People did crack on Stoll, it is unacceptable. Lee should have been OW. For those thinking that PSU posters don't contribute significantly to how PSU is treated on HR than they aren't being objective. Those posters enjoy jabbing and then throwing their proverbial hands up and saying 'see how they are' it's amusing and some take the bait. Police your own and it won't percolate so much.

People did crack on Stoll, it is unacceptable. Lee should have been OW. For those thinking that PSU posters don't contribute significantly to how PSU is treated on HR than they aren't being objective. Those posters enjoy jabbing and then throwing their proverbial hands up and saying 'see how they are' it's amusing and some take the bait. Police your own and it won't percolate so much.
You have a point that some PSU fans or "fans" eye poke over there.

But that's an excuse. HR could ban every single PSU poster and still go completely ape crap on more threads than not.

Jammen comes over here to eye poke routinely, and we handle him far better than HR handles even non-controversial comments from outsiders.

As far as "police your own" goes: first, takes a lot of gall to say it more than once here as a visitor. Second, I'm old enough to remember when an HR mod told the board that it was too hair-trigger offended, and the board immediately set out to prove him right and then spike the football.

You have a point that some PSU fans or "fans" eye poke over there.

But that's an excuse. HR could ban every single PSU poster and still go completely ape crap on more threads than not.

Jammen comes over here to eye poke routinely, and we handle him far better than HR handles even non-controversial comments from outsiders.

As far as "police your own" goes: first, takes a lot of gall to say it more than once here as a visitor. Second, I'm old enough to remember when an HR mod told the board that it was too hair-trigger offended, and the board immediately set out to prove him right and then spike the football.

So you guys can handle Jammen, one poster that comes over here to eye poke, bravo. Here is a question, you seem to be knowledgeable about the HR board. Do you think that it is one poster that eye pokes over there? Do you think that the 'eye poking' that goes on over there would be tolerated by the mods here? Or would the ban hammer fall on them here?

Reactions: lionlover
This entire board is way thicker skinned. The ban hammer drops very quickly on HR. People here simply are not nearly as defensive. It probably helps that PSU is dominating college wrestling while Iowa is trying to tread water. I have never heard Jammenz break out the PED State stuff or call Cael A scumbag and the like. That is so routine on HR you probably don't even notice it anymore. You will be treated as a guest here as long as you stay somewhat civil.

So you guys can handle Jammen, one poster that comes over here to eye poke, bravo. Here is a question, you seem to be knowledgeable about the HR board. Do you think that it is one poster that eye pokes over there? Do you think that the 'eye poking' that goes on over there would be tolerated by the mods here? Or would the ban hammer fall on them here?

I guess you weren't here when 'vodka' was puking all over every thread.

To get banned here you either have to go Sandusky or just scream gibberish in thread after thread and even then you have to do it for a fairly prolonged period of time.

As far as poking eyes on HR. If HR is discussing wrestling I have joined in. My opinion is not always welcome. For example 2 years ago after Zain beat Sorenson in the finals by 10 - 1 or 2 and half of HR was carrying on whinning that Zain won because he stalled. I pointed out it is rather silly to bytch about a guy stalling who scored 10 points and majored your guy. Now as soon as I got a bunch of "jackass BWI poster" responses I responded with a similar lack of respect.

When you guys have one of your silly "I hate Cael" threads - other than poking fun at the simply stupid nonsense that is being posted without much if any pushback I am uncertain exactly what kind of responses you would expect from Penn State fans who end up reading that crap.

I find Jammenz to be a funny,strategic poster 90% of the time. He has a pretty good sense of timing. It kind of reminds me of the old Laverne and Shirley episodes when Lenny and Squiggy would show up. The terrible news is he will start having more to brag about in the coming few years as Minnesota is going to get better.

I do believe we handled you, heck we even let you start your Everything Gophers thread. Didn’t take too long for you run out of your little tidbits.;)
It only ended when the majority of your "fans" voted no to the online poll.

This has been discussed here several times, but since this is your first visit you missed those discussions. There are some of our fans that do go there and stir the pot, and many of us would prefer they didn't. I read there quite often (more in the past due to the state of things) and have never made a post. I'll use Iowa and tOSU boards mainly to keep my own expectations grounded.
Being objective can be difficult, you should give it a shot. Before any shots are fired in a thread check out the spelling issues many of your fans have. It's not just what a fan base posts either, I've seen some seemingly good guys at HR "like" derogatory posts.
Also take notice that as of yet, nobody has told you to leave, or hinted that you have your own forum. Although, admittedly, I haven't read this whole thread.
When Iowa was top dog your fan base became quite obnoxious. Part of the eye poking is guys that were around then coming full circle. The other is just a growing fan base on our way to being equally obnoxious.

This has been discussed here several times, but since this is your first visit you missed those discussions. There are some of our fans that do go there and stir the pot, and many of us would prefer they didn't. I read there quite often (more in the past due to the state of things) and have never made a post. I'll use Iowa and tOSU boards mainly to keep my own expectations grounded.
Being objective can be difficult, you should give it a shot. Before any shots are fired in a thread check out the spelling issues many of your fans have. It's not just what a fan base posts either, I've seen some seemingly good guys at HR "like" derogatory posts.
Also take notice that as of yet, nobody has told you to leave, or hinted that you have your own forum. Although, admittedly, I haven't read this whole thread.
When Iowa was top dog your fan base became quite obnoxious. Part of the eye poking is guys that were around then coming full circle. The other is just a growing fan base on our way to being equally obnoxious.

Fairly certain that I haven't done anything to warrant the 'own forum' admonishment. You should send some of your thicker skinned folks over there. It's a pretty quick trigger if people question how it's being done at PSU or points out negative actions by people associated with PSU. It would be interesting to read the posts that have earned the ban hammer there. Care to share the stories?

Fairly certain that I haven't done anything to warrant the 'own forum' admonishment. You should send some of your thicker skinned folks over there. It's a pretty quick trigger if people question how it's being done at PSU or points out negative actions by people associated with PSU. It would be interesting to read the posts that have earned the ban hammer there. Care to share the stories?

What is that you hope to accomplish with this back and forth?

Reactions: diggerpup
I prefer to appreciate the tOSU guys who lost to Iowa guys instead.

Might come as a surprise to people but I’m not a big fan of anything Iowa Hawkeyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT