ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Minnesota

Iowa has 24 national titles and is the next ego trip (to pass them).

Iowa is one of the few schools still left that the average sports fan associates more with wrestling than Penn State.

Iowa is still the closest competitor for recruits that has anywhere near Penn State’s historical success in the B10.

Shall I keep going? Again, sit down and think about how mad you’d be if we treated you with kid gloves like you’re at the kiddie table. Want that? Should thank us for not being so arrogant to do that.
So you are saying Iowa is still a successful program and the closest to Penn St right now? Yet I read day after day on this board how the program is imploding and are barely relevant. Which is it?

Reactions: WildTurk
So you are saying Iowa is still a successful program and the closest to Penn St right now? Yet I read day after day on this board how the program is imploding and are barely relevant. Which is it?
No kidding. This is so true

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

What’s the perspective of the comment? Iowa is definitely still successful compared to everyone except Penn State relevant in the chase for #2. Iowa is also imploding and sinking fast relative to Ironturd’s predictions every day.

I had positive feelings about Iowa's performance after the Nebraska dual, but the MN dual showed the same old Iowa Iowa style. They never pushed their advantage to go after multiple TDs in a period. Wrestling to win by 1 TD is a bad strategy and Franeks loss is example #1.
If we're being honest, our Beau (and Bernie?) seems to do that a lot, as well. As a true strategy, it's ripe to fail, and may on Beau, too. What's true enough is that not everyone has an attack mode like Mesenbrink, Nolf, or Vito. One thought I had from the little I saw . . Ayala looked real good against the always crafty McKee.

What’s the perspective of the comment? Iowa is definitely still successful compared to everyone except Penn State relevant in the chase for #2. Iowa is also imploding and sinking fast relative to Ironturd’s predictions every day.
Is Ironbird the only spokesperson for Iowa wrestling? You guys latch on to the loudest minority of the Iowa fan base and paint the picture that this is how the entire fan base thinks? Who else is relevant in the chase for #2?

Well it’s a Penn State board. What do you expect (seriously)?

Again, I’m not sure what your Iowa folks want here? To be lauded endlessly? To be ridiculed? Feels like everyone is respectful enough to you all individually until you run back to your own board like giddy coeds.

Is Ironbird the only spokesperson for Iowa wrestling? You guys latch on to the loudest minority of the Iowa fan base and paint the picture that this is how the entire fan base thinks? Who else is relevant in the chase for #2?
Cornell, Ok St, Missouri, possibly others like NC St or tOSU if the overachieve a little.

Reactions: SJP80
You should view them through the same lens as Ohio St and Michigan. Yet Iowa is dissected and discussed 100 times more than either program. Why is that? This is a serious question. I really want to know the difference between Iowa and the other top 5 or 6 programs.
You and your Gia folks are the main reason, it's like kindergarten lunch time little kids fighting and arguing making things up and saying "it's fact".

Honestly Its like listening to a bunch of new mothers bicker that they are right and nobody else knows what they are doing, you guys are honestly pathetic!

It's not the team, the wrestlers, some what the coaches, but it is 98% you and the rest of you turds! Although there is some descent posters over there it's the ones like you who ruin it for iowa.

Reactions: NittanyLion84

Again, I’m not sure what your Iowa folks want here? To be lauded endlessly? To be ridiculed? Feels like everyone is respectful enough to you all individually until you run back to your own board like giddy coeds.
Nobody else watching?

Real Woods hard to score on, but not impressive.
Have to laugh.

I started this thread when I was watching the Iowa-Minnesota dual meet and was up to the 141 bout when I noticed there was not yet a thread on the match, which is a traditional rivalry with some great history.

So I see now what a thread involving the Hawkeyes turns into. :rolleyes:

Of course he's not. Grip, Mitchell, and We H8 State Hawk share the load. And they're hardly alone.

And their worst comments typically have a flood of likes with little/no dissent.

Mainly was just wondering why the most hate for Iowa. From the responses, the majority dislike/despise the Iowa fanbase. I’m guessing it’s because too many Iowa fans either insult PSU with the Sandusky crap or diminish Cael’s success claiming it’s all because of one big donor. Personally, both are borish and childish. I watch every March and see young PSU wrestlers seemingly not feeling the same pressure as other schools youngsters. And older wrestlers rarely underperforming and beating who they are supposed to beat. Why is this? My opinion is PSU wrestlers are better trained physically and mentally. I hate to say it and I wish it weren’t as obvious, but the proof is in the results.

You and your Gia folks are the main reason, it's like kindergarten lunch time little kids fighting and arguing making things up and saying "it's fact".

Honestly Its like listening to a bunch of new mothers bicker that they are right and nobody else knows what they are doing, you guys are honestly pathetic!

It's not the team, the wrestlers, some what the coaches, but it is 98% you and the rest of you turds! Although there is some descent posters over there it's the ones like you who ruin it for iowa.
What have I said that offends you so much?

Reactions: mcpat
Mainly was just wondering why the most hate for Iowa. From the responses, the majority dislike/despise the Iowa fanbase. I’m guessing it’s because too many Iowa fans either insult PSU with the Sandusky crap or diminish Cael’s success claiming it’s all because of one big donor. Personally, both are borish and childish. I watch every March and see young PSU wrestlers seemingly not feeling the same pressure as other schools youngsters. And older wrestlers rarely underperforming and beating who they are supposed to beat. Why is this? My opinion is PSU wrestlers are better trained physically and mentally. I hate to say it and I wish it weren’t as obvious, but the proof is in the results.
Max Greenfield Reaction GIF by CBS

Surprised how small Keuter looks, especially after a full football season of lifting.

Not sure he is really a step up from Hill at this point; needs to redshirt imo, don't think he will score many more points.

Kirk would destroy him right now.

Worse than small, skinny. The Dean Hamiti physique works up to 165, but at 285 no.

He's obviously a talented kid and if football doesn't preoccupy/injure him or he doesn't end up languishing under TnT, I seem him doing really well if he adds another 20-25 pounds, but you are right. Kirk would destroy him. I'd also see other elite heavies (Davison, Hendrickson) beating him soundly as well.

Right now, he's not even Mason Parris as a freshman. Parris had 26 matches under his belt when he wrestled Cassar and Cassar majored him with ease-under the three point TD, that was a TF.

Monday night might be have been his Desi minute.

A a couple other things, the OW thing was ridiculous. Blockhus deserved that. Also, if they are going to keep cutting over to his red faced ol' man, I'm going to miss the gratuitous Moriah shots.

Last edited:
I just finished rewatching the Iowa-Minnesota dual. During the final match, at 1:24:14, the advertising board behind the two heavyweights lights up for "988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline There is Hope. Get Confidential Support. Call, Text or Chat 988" Love the gentle humor and recognition that Iowa wrestling fans are in for a tough year.
Mental Health Support GIF by INTO ACTION

Iowa is still successful because of the brand. Not because of the Brands brothers. The day they get canned and a coach from the 21st century takes over, Iowa will be more than a once-a-decade threat again.

Look at the rankings from the start of the 21-22 season. Iowa was expected to win based on returning points but utterly imploded.

Iowa is still successful because of the brand. Not because of the Brands brothers. The day they get canned and a coach from the 21st century takes over, Iowa will be more than a once-a-decade threat again.

Look at the rankings from the start of the 21-22 season. Iowa was expected to win based on returning points but utterly imploded.

Always will remember Marinelli's March swoons (dude really should have done Greco) and Kemmerer looking like he snuck out from an orthopedic hospital.

All fair and if it stopped at that, I don’t think folks would get on you and the other idiot Iowans too much personally. They’re rivals and there’s going to be ribbing though. Go to an Alabama message board and search Auburn. It is just how it is.

I think it goes beyond that when a person is on a rival’s message board playing the “hey just here to talk shop” game with the rival, then goes back and talks s*** to their own. Makes them phony and 2 faced.

Look, if anything, we’re light on Iowa here. It’s a shell of itself, and everyone not an Iowa fan knows it. It’s a laughingstock that you all not only put up with the Brands show but seem to still think he’s an answer to the problems. They’re bullies, not good people, and your fans at CHA show themselves to be asses over and over again. If you really want to know what everyone thinks, we can operate like that too.

All fair and if it stopped at that, I don’t think folks would get on you and the other idiot Iowans too much personally. They’re rivals and there’s going to be ribbing though. Go to an Alabama message board and search Auburn. It is just how it is.

I think it goes beyond that when a person is on a rival’s message board playing the “hey just here to talk shop” game with the rival, then goes back and talks s*** to their own. Makes them phony and 2 faced.

Look, if anything, we’re light on Iowa here. It’s a shell of itself, and everyone not an Iowa fan knows it. It’s a laughingstock that you all not only put up with the Brands show but seem to still think he’s an answer to the problems. They’re bullies, not good people, and your fans at CHA show themselves to be asses over and over again. If you really want to know what everyone thinks, we can operate like that too.
You're 100% full of crap

Not to be overly critical, but how many teams have overachieved at Nationals in the last ten years, even a little?
I did the math on this in 2020, but have not updated since.

In the 2010-2019 decade:
1. PSU +21.6 pts/year
2. Ohio State +9.9
3. Minny +9.5
4. Iowa +8.2
5. Cornell +7.5
6. Nebraska +6.5
7. Oklahoma +3.6
8. Iowa State +3.5
9. Edinboro +3.4
10. VT +2.9

These are (team points) - (expected points from seeds), per year. Expected points includes bonus.

Note also: PSU had 41 top-3 seeds in that period. (Next was Iowa with 28.) So PSU got the most high seeds AND still outperformed by 21.6 pts/year. Captain Obvious says this might lead to success.

Some other notes:
- 25 schools outperformed (>0.0 pts/yr).
- OKST had more qualifiers (95) than PSU (86), with many lower seeded or unseeded, but was only +0.9/yr.
- Some very surprising schools in the bottom 10: Missouri -3.9/yr (6th worst), Pitt -4.36/yr (4th worst), NC State -4.38/yr (3rd worst)

A newbie who visits both sites, I find you quite reasonable. My own petty goal in GIA was to blowtorch all who wanted AJ on their team. I softened in time, even looked forward to his matches with AB, now a pipedream. No psychologist, but some of what you see here as “hate” may just be fear. Not much, mind you (not with Cael, his pitch-perfect staff, our team and a hopper full of blue-chip recruits seemingly willing to wait a turn), but some. Iowa alone is the threat to continued Lion dominance. Period. Even on Feb 9, five Hawk wins doesn’t seem impossible (Ayala, Woods, Rathjen, Franek, Caliendo), just unlikely. You’ll always catch heat, snark, and arrogance here (like I do in GIA, even here at times), but stay the course. The “devil’s advocate” insights you offer are good stuff, like your take above. It’s pathetically easy for us in Cael’s camp to act superior, much harder to show grace in tougher circumstances.

If you can show us any other time that a high schooler called out a multi-time college national champ, it would help your argument.
There was Yianni's little brother calling out Bo Nickal after losing to J'den Cox and promptly being put in his place by J'den.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski and AgSurfer
A newbie who visits both sites, I find you quite reasonable. My own petty goal in GIA was to blowtorch all who wanted AJ on their team. I softened in time, even looked forward to his matches with AB, now a pipedream. No psychologist, but some of what you see here as “hate” may just be fear. Not much, mind you (not with Cael, his pitch-perfect staff, our team and a hopper full of blue-chip recruits seemingly willing to wait a turn), but some. Iowa alone is the threat to continued Lion dominance. Period. Even on Feb 9, five Hawk wins doesn’t seem impossible (Ayala, Woods, Rathjen, Franek, Caliendo), just unlikely. You’ll always catch heat, snark, and arrogance here (like I do in GIA, even here at times), but stay the course. The “devil’s advocate” insights you offer are good stuff, like your take above. It’s pathetically easy for us in Cael’s camp to act superior, much harder to show grace in tougher circumstances.
giphy.gif

You mentioned the mental part of the training for PSU. Over the years, with the multiple pictures of PSU winning the national title, you always see an older lady in the pictures. Many have commented that she has something to do with the mental aspect of the wrestlers.

Question @jmadden1998 does Iowa have an individual that helps the wrestlers deal with the mental part of life and is truly a big part of the team as this woman appears to be.

You mentioned the mental part of the training for PSU. Over the years, with the multiple pictures of PSU winning the national title, you always see an older lady in the pictures. Many have commented that she has something to do with the mental aspect of the wrestlers.

Question @jmadden1998 does Iowa have an individual that helps the wrestlers deal with the mental part of life and is truly a big part of the team as this woman appears to be.
I don’t know as I’m just a fan. No inside knowledge. Maybe it’s Terry and Tom’s mom who is their mental coach.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT