ADVERTISEMENT

Ironhead at MSG

Will someone please tell him to advise us of mat selection MORE FREQUENTLY.
Randy, if you aren't going, watch all the rounds on ESPN3...you can log on with your cable or dish provider no problem for free, if you have a problem, get with someone and get their ID code and password to get on. Then, every mat, during the match, they will show you who is on deck on that mat...if you have all the mats, you'll know ahead of time what mat our guys will be on. There might be those rare occasions when we have two guys going at once...that actually happened in the B1G's when everyone was watching Morelli's match, while Nickal was pinning that kid from Ohio State.

Will someone please tell him to advise us of mat selection MORE FREQUENTLY.

At past NCAAs, he has been inconsistent on this. However, it's not exactly his job to broadcast what mat a PSUer will be on next, so that those watching the video stream can full screen that mat. He's providing audio play-by-play, for those not at the event, and if they're not watching the video stream (which is likely the case for many), it's not like the mat where the match is taking place, or where it will be upcoming, is a critical piece of info that the radio listeners need to know.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing Session Threads again this year, at least on Thursday and Friday, and I do make it a point to post that info as soon as I'm aware of it. It can be a little crazy running 4 ESPN3 windows to watch the mats, as well as TrackWrestling in another window so that I can identify which mat to focus on.

Reactions: T J
At past NCAAs, he has been inconsistent on this. However, it's not exactly his job to broadcast what mat a PSUer will be on next, so that those watching the video stream can full screen that mat. He's providing audio play-by-play, for those not at the event, and if they're not watching the video stream (which is likely the case for many), it's not like the mat where the match is taking place, or where it will be upcoming, is a critical piece of info that the radio listeners need to know.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing Session Threads again this year, at least on Thursday and Friday, and I do make it a point to post that info as soon as I'm aware of it. It can be a little crazy running 4 ESPN3 windows to watch the mats, as well as TrackWrestling in another window so that I can identify which mat to focus on.

But, it's fun trying to juggle it all.

Posters often add their inputs on upcoming matches on various mats. It is inconsistent, but much appreciated, when posters indicate that say McIntosh on Mat 3, with two ahead of him. That sort of thing.

Of course delays like Blood timeouts and injuries alter the timing, just like quicker matches with Falls and Tech Falls quicken the pace on some mats.

Trying to recall if they wait until all matches at one weight are finished before they start the next round. Iirc, they may do that, but only in the very late stages that may be on TV.

As I recall, this is when thread view was very handy. It is helpful to have a new thread title for each upcoming wrestler. That way posters can quickly scan the titles to get to the highlights of each wrestler's match.

Thread view was VERY handy, because a session thread could be created, with a sub category for each wrestler within a session. We will have to see what works best now that that very useful and convenient format is not available.

No doubt Tom McA will use a format that is easiest for him, as he is juggling multiple screens and providing info on matches. Whatever works best for those providing inputs is fine. We will adjust. It's all appreciated.

Last edited:
Depending on what's going on with my work day, I'll probably jump in to help Tom like I did with the Big Ten Tournament. Tom's right, it can get really hectic during the tournament. However, having the chance to watch all eight mats is the most glorious thing I think of for a wrestling fan.

Reactions: T J
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT