ADVERTISEMENT

Is CF criticism valid…

Again, stop talking about the past. We're dealing with today. He got us here--now he has to build on that or he won't be here.
He better do it this year. Next year we will be without most of the star players from the 6th ranked recruiting class of 2022. Allar, Allen, Singleton, Sutton, Shelton, Carter, Winston, etc. We haven't been in the top 12 recruiting since then.

Last edited:
Reactions: scrivener
No it isn't, and it never has been at any university. You're out of your realm and have zero clue how this program works, nor do you know the parameters the program works under. Next you'll tell the board, Franklin was responsible for the horrific law the Pennsylvania legislature passed regarding NIL. Meanwhile, dozens of schools had free reign on NIL. But hey, it's all on Franklin. Lmao.
100% his job
Franklin has nothing do with any laws passed. His responsiblity is to convince donors to support them. If he doesn't and we don't contend he'll be gone. You can argue all you want but I'm dealing with what as opposed to you living in the past.

He better do it this year. Next year we will be without most of the star players from the 6th ranked recruiting class of 2022. Allar, Allen, Singleton, Sutton, Shelton, Carter, Winston, etc. We haven't been in the top 12 since then.
There's zero excuse, with our schedule, to miss the playoffs this year. We all know that. Some just want to create excuses if it happens.
And the portal needs to fill any gaps next year--fair or not that's football in this era. There's no rebuilding.

The 4th & 5 run didn't cost us the game against Ohio State--no one play ever does but no team should be running on 4th & 5 regardless of what they see from the defense. Never. Run/pass option for the QB on a rollout would be the most logical, even if predictable, option.

The excuse making for Franklin is ridiculous. He has had plenty of resources and support to make at least one, again ONE playoff appearance and he has come up empty.

Lando is right that he needs to show progression over the next 4 years or so otherwise he could very well be canned. Make the playoffs this year. He has to do this. Next year win a playoff game. The year after that or 2 years after that win 2 playoff games. It won't be good enough to just slip into the playoffs every year then fizzle out. We need to make the final 4 one of these years and yes can you believe it...actually compete for a NC.

Joe Paterno set the standard and built the program now it is Franklin's job to keep that tradition going. That doesn't mean losing to Ohio State every freaking year. And I don't want to hear about Joe's last 15 years. He was old and should have retired in the late 90's. Joe won two NCs through his first 21 years. Franklin is entering year 11 which is equivalent to the 1976 season for Joe. So can Franklin match Joe's record from 1976-1986? No way but at least get us into the playoffs and make some noise in the playoffs.

Finally on NIL. Franklin has to be able to fundraise and get money for NIL. He can recruit and is a big talker so you would think he would be pretty good at this aspect of his job. We all know he is lousy in coaching in big games but I sure hope that changes starting this year.

Finally on NIL. Franklin has to be able to fundraise and get money for NIL. He can recruit and is a big talker so you would think he would be pretty good at this aspect of his job.

I don't understand how anyone could argue this in a sincere manner. It's arguably now the most important aspect of his job.

The excuse making for Franklin is ridiculous. He has had plenty of resources and support to make at least one, again ONE playoff appearance and he has come up empty.

Lando is right that he needs to show progression over the next 4 years or so otherwise he could very well be canned. Make the playoffs this year. He has to do this. Next year win a playoff game. The year after that or 2 years after that win 2 playoff games. It won't be good enough to just slip into the playoffs every year then fizzle out. We need to make the final 4 one of these years and yes can you believe it...actually compete for a NC.

Joe Paterno set the standard and built the program now it is Franklin's job to keep that tradition going. That doesn't mean losing to Ohio State every freaking year. And I don't want to hear about Joe's last 15 years. He was old and should have retired in the late 90's. Joe won two NCs through his first 21 years. Franklin is entering year 11 which is equivalent to the 1976 season for Joe. So can Franklin match Joe's record from 1976-1986? No way but at least get us into the playoffs and make some noise in the playoffs.

Finally on NIL. Franklin has to be able to fundraise and get money for NIL. He can recruit and is a big talker so you would think he would be pretty good at this aspect of his job. We all know he is lousy in coaching in big games but I sure hope that changes starting this year.
You say that Paterno set the standard yet you're all over Franklin because he hasn't won a championship in his first 11 years. Neither did Joe. Is the standard to win one in year 18?

I really don't get the hatred for Franklin. I'm not a huge Franklin supporter but he is as good as we could have done when we hired him and he's not leaving any time soon. Urban Meyer is not walking through that door. I do agree that we need to make the playoffs most years and win some playoffs games. I think we will and are on track to do that.

Reactions: saturdaysarebetter2
You say that Paterno set the standard yet you're all over Franklin because he hasn't won a championship in his first 11 years. Neither did Joe. Is the standard to win one in year 18?

I really don't get the hatred for Franklin. I'm not a huge Franklin supporter but he is as good as we could have done when we hired him and he's not leaving any time soon. Urban Meyer is not walking through that door. I do agree that we need to make the playoffs most years and win some playoffs games. I think we will and are on track to do that.
This can’t be a serious post. 11-0 twice in a row within 5 years and there wasn’t a “championship” game for a number of years due to the conference tie-ins that often prevented 1v2.

I don't think there is "hatred" for Franklin. People simply are aware of the shortcoming in results.

You might want to keep in mind that Paterno turned a regional "farm school" into a national contender. Franklin adopted it. Scenario's are a bit different.

Franklin has a couple more years left to show progress. Replacing him can be just as risky as not replacing him.

I don't see "hatred"--I see people wanting continued growth with the program. He may or may not provide that but that's expected.

I think everyone hopes that Franklin is "the guy"--he just hasn't proven it yet. The next 6 games will show us a lot. Must win at least 4--hopefully 5 of them. USC/Illinois should be wins on paper--we're the better team.

There's zero excuse, with our schedule, to miss the playoffs this year. We all know that. Some just want to create excuses if it happens.
And the portal needs to fill any gaps next year--fair or not that's football in this era. There's no rebuilding.
JF could be here 15-20 yrs and Hotshoe and others will pardon JF because of what he stepped into. It's incredible.

Reactions: blair10 and ryoder1
It is has been two decades since OSU has surpassed us. We were pretty competitive until 2004-ish. Even that 2002 title, I remember OSU was down to a horrible Purdue team with 1m left and Krenzel throws bomb for TD late. That is difference - OSU is clutch. I don't know formula but they do it time and time again. Outside of 2016 OSU game, we have been opposite of clutch.

I often don't know what people mean by better resources? Do Cincy, MSU, UW, TCU, Oregon, even Clemson have "better resources" since Franklin took over PSU? All made the CFP at least once. I agree with most of statement but simply put, Franklin has the support, recruits and facilities to build a program capable of multiple CFP appearances. It all comes down to coaching. He gets out-coached. He is not elite when it matters. We have all witnessed the painful calls that led to 1 point, 3 pts and 7 pts differential through the big games. It is like clockwork. He can't outsmart other quality coaches. That is ok if we only care to get 10w and pat ourselves on back. We have been happy with this for years
^^^^THIS^^^^

He does everything a CFB head coach is supposed to do really well, except the actual football coaching. He's about as bad as Nick Sirianni with his analytics nonsense.

He needs to do something better than he has done in the next 5 years. Does not have to be a NC but making the playoffs and winning some playoff games. Joe played for the title in year 13 ('78) and won it in year 17 ('82). I doubt Franklin will achieve those results. Joe also could have staked claim to NCs in '68 (year 3).,'69 (year 4) and '73 (year 8) with undefeated seasons. Franklin has not done that in his first 11. But Joe did not win it until his second decade so we will see what Franklin can do.

I think everyone hopes that Franklin is "the guy"--he just hasn't proven it yet. The next 6 games will show us a lot. Must win at least 4--hopefully 5 of them. USC/Illinois should be wins on paper--we're the better team.
If we lose to both USC and OSU but make the playoffs then of course I will be happy. However, I still will be very nervous and skeptical about our first round playoff game because Franklin still will not have demonstrated he can win a big game.

I don't understand how anyone could argue this in a sincere manner. It's arguably now the most important aspect of his job.
Pretty straightforward formula for Franklin..lead/direct fundraising efforts for NIL money means acquiring high end talent means winning more games. Note: This assumes competent coaching and player development.

Franklin is not solely responsible for generating NIL $ for the football program but he is accountable for it just like wins and losses.

Yes, exactly Mike. That’s what I’m thinking. For example, as noted he is 3 & 17 vs top ten teams. In those 20 games, we were the dog in how many? I don’t know the answer but I would guess all but 2 or 3, maybe 4. How many coaches in ANY program have a good record vs top ten teams when they are the dog going in? I’ll answer very very few, if any.

Franklin is the dog going in because he sucks against teams with equal or better talent.

Get over the scandal it's long gone and can't continue to be used as an excuse
Stop living in the past, we're dealing with 2024. Blaming the scandal for anything today is ignorant, disingenuous and ridiculous--to use your "ridiculous" words.
So, you have nothing but bullsh&t yiu can't provide a single detail regarding recruiting, NIL, or a frking thing regarding the program.

This is the bullsh&t you constantly do to posters. You have nothing, then gaslight with complete bullsh&t. It's precisely why you're a joke. You have zero knowledge of recruiting, NIL, or what Franklin has faced on the recruiting trail. Just another dude with a paper a&&hole that states, just get it done. Lmao.

For the record, I don't live in the past. You on the other hand, are absolutely clueless regarding the program. You're just another ignorant fool who believes, he just knows, get it done, and that's all that matters. Hey, oh great one. Penn State was literally told, we wouldn't get another 4 or 5 star for 10 years. You should probably call Franklin. Better yet, meet him on the recruiting trail.

So, you have nothing but bullsh&t yiu can't provide a single detail regarding recruiting, NIL, or a frking thing regarding the program.

This is the bullsh&t you constantly do to posters. You have nothing, then gaslight with complete bullsh&t. It's precisely why you're a joke. You have zero knowledge of recruiting, NIL, or what Franklin has faced on the recruiting trail. Just another dude with a paper a&&hole that states, just get it done. Lmao.

For the record, I don't live in the past. You on the other hand, are absolutely clueless regarding the program. You're just another ignorant fool who believes, he just knows, get it done, and that's all that matters. Hey, oh great one. Penn State was literally told, we wouldn't get another 4 or 5 star for 10 years. You should probably call Franklin. Better yet, meet him on the recruiting trail.
lol--you're absolutely living in the past. If you don't think I understand NIL or the program you're wrong but as disliked as I am here no one's agreeing with your nonsense but it's exactly that. NONSENSE.

This quote shows you're still living in the past "Penn State was literally told, we wouldn't get another 4 or 5 star for 10 years." and not moving on from it to what has to happen now because to you what he's already done is enough--that's the problem. Join us in 2024 with a 12 team playoff and accept realistic expectations--you won't though. You'll just keep rambling nonsense

And if you want to swear then swear. Be an adult and say bullshit instead of using a & since you clearly lack the intelligence to have a discussion without throwing a temper tantrum.

100% his job
Franklin has nothing do with any laws passed. His responsiblity is to convince donors to support them. If he doesn't and we don't contend he'll be gone. You can argue all you want but I'm dealing with what as opposed to you living in the past.
You are so disingenuous, it's a joke. It is not Franklin's job, and you're completely fos. It is the job of the AD to raise funds. Franklin is the icing. I'm sorry, what team does the AD coach? I'll be waiting.

lol--you're absolutely living in the past. If you don't think I understand NIL or the program you're wrong but as disliked as I am here no one's agreeing with your nonsense but it's exactly that. NONSENSE.

This quote shows you're still living in the past "Penn State was literally told, we wouldn't get another 4 or 5 star for 10 years." and not moving on from it to what has to happen now because to you what he's already done is enough--that's the problem. Join us in 2024 with a 12 team playoff and accept realistic expectations--you won't though. You'll just keep rambling nonsense

And if you want to swear then swear. Be an adult and say bullshit instead of using a & since you clearly lack the intelligence to have a discussion without throwing a temper tantrum.
You should probably call up and advise Lincoln Riley on how to run a program. Your ego has no bounds, and you're absolutely clueless regarding what coaches go through.

Dude, I'm done with you. You have nothing. You never do. You just go forward with complete bullsh&t. It's precisely why no one can stand you, and you have to change names.
Done with aka lack the intelligence to discuss it
I've never changed names...you're confused.
I love the "no one can stand you"...I'm not here to make fiends nor do I need your validation. The games continually prove me right
Oh being right is when what you say actually transpires...you may have that feeling someday kiddo

Ironic that don't want excuses yet you make excuses for joes last 15 years.

Done with aka lack the intelligence to discuss it
I've never changed names...you're confused.
I love the "no one can stand you"...I'm not here to make fiends nor do I need your validation. The games continually prove me right
Oh being right is when what you say actually transpires...you may have that feeling someday kiddo
He can't discuss intelligently without cursing and CAPS LOCK -- that's the sign of someone who can't debate intelligently. The argument about what people said about our program or the sanctions, at this point, is just empty calorie garbage. JF at least had BOB gobble up two of the immediate yrs after the scandal....you always want to be the guy who replaces the guy who followed the legend, right? But, regardless. What happens on the field, whether it be our wins or losses, in present day, has ZERO to do with the fallout. Of course, in JF's initial few years, no doubt, it made a difference. But, now, it's just soft BS excuses.

If we are in a barn burner vs USC, and then fall as usual in games like that because we couldn't run the ball to control clock, or the secondary coughs it up, is that b/c the scandal made that happen? Or is it that, to date, JF is an excellent CEO and face of the program who has brought us into the 21st century, but is strictly an average big game coach? Yes.

Again, I'll use the hyperbolic example, if JF is here at least 15 years and either misses the playoffs completely or has an appearance here and there, and then we are one and done and continue to have zero legitimate title contention, Hotshoe will blame it on the fallout from the scandal and all the unbelievable obstacles that JF had to overcome. Either Hotshoe is a JF relative or just way too intense about the subject -- like its ok for your golden boy to not be so shiny, we all have tarnish and blemishes. He needs some herbal tea and to just relax.

Last edited:

So the "standard" that is expected and needs to be lived up to is one that existed for a tiny portion of time, a number of decades ago, and which even the creator of that standard couldn't maintain, despite living in a far more advantageous environment for the program (comparatively more fertile recruiting grounds, not living post-scandal, etc.)?

That is silly fantasyland stuff.

BINGO. This blanket 'facilities or NIL' statement is just excuse city.
NIL is definitely a problem. 11 Fortune 500 companies are headquartered in Columbus so they have much greater opportunities for NIL donors. How can PSU compete with that?

Don't get me wrong, PSU isn't poor. In fact they are probably #15-#20 in NIL money. But it's going to be difficult for PSU to compete with $15m when their biggest rivals have $20m-$25m

You left out a comparison. Rhule, Schiano and Golden combined have ZERO win sfor their career vs the top 10.

The field vs the top 10 us usually about 10-110 during the regular season vs the top 10. What do you expect a coach to do vs the top 10?

The top 10 Vs the top 10 are only .500 for any season and it is usually the top 3 that have winning records.

The top 10 are currently 35-0. 0-35 for the field.
PSU isn't "the field"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT