ADVERTISEMENT

Junior Worlds

Gable gets pushed to edge, pummels and re-positions to center. Handfighting. Iran has yet to change levels... Pass-eve, red!

Another low single attempt, gets back up. Gets snapped down. Still handfighting. Period ends 3-0 Gable. 3-0 USA.

Iranian coach warned. Horns blowing like a cheap date after the superbowl. Guys pummel to over/under. Nothing. Iran lunges for pushout, Gable circles behind as Iran runs to edge, gets 2! 5-0 USA! 2min left.

Snapdown from Iran to over/under. Guys pummelling/handfighting. Gable warned for passivity, I believe. 1 min left. 5-1. Iran still pushing. 30secs left.

Gable hits the Mark Hall pose. All is well in the world. Democracy conquers all.
hqdefault.jpg

Just a head's up:
While I'm glad you guys enjoy the PBP a few of us have tried to provide, I won't be able to continue, this week. I leave for a fishing trip tomorrow (Who the hell schedules a fishing trip over major events? When did I start fishing? I don't know.).

Where you going, Crop?

In the entire last decade (2001 through 2010), the U.S. had three junior world finalists (Henry Cejudo in 2006, Bubba Jenkins in 2007, and Dom Bradley in 2010).

In the past 25 championships (going back to 1986, since they don't hold them every year), the six finalists this year is the best the U.S. has done.

The U.S. did have five finalists in 1998. That was the last time the event was held on U.S. soil, and there were 10 weight classes at that time instead of eight.

The U.S. has won two gold medals three times in the past 25 championships - 2016 (Spencer Lee and Mark Hall), 1998 (Stephen Abbas and Don Pritzlaff), and 1992 (Jeff McGuiness and Kerry McCoy). We have never won three in a year over the past 25 championships.

This team probably is already the best U.S. team in recent history. A team title or even just a pair of gold medals today would seal the deal.
USA HAS TAKEN OVER THE WORLD FOR REAL IN WRESTLING !!!!

Reactions: dwkeller
russia steals the election and now is trying to steal the UWW Jr world team championship...they know no shame ;):(:mad::confused::D

Word is, Russians didn't show up in Wisc or Mich either and also wrote off adequate coverage in PA and OH. ;)

OTOH, Russia perhaps did support continuing the mountains of failed Make America Weaker policies (and 20% uranium gift) that helped to doom the chances of a bad campaign. ;)

Gable Duster: Dad, why'd you name me after Dan Gable? He lost to Larry Owings...
Me: No, no... Gable Steveson. Bumped up an age group, won a Junior World Title, clinching the first Junior Freestyle World Team Title in 34 years with a win. Had he lost, the darn Russians would've won. THAT Gable.
GD: Oh, Thank Cael!

I find it somewhat amazing that 2 of the 3 were from the same high school! Has that ever happened before?
Dunno. But Zahid and Pico still have a chance to be high-school and world-champ teammates. Better than 1-in-a-million chance!

Reactions: tikk10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT