ADVERTISEMENT

Lee's Letter

So who did Nevills have to beat out for the job last year? He was the only hvy on the roster and Cael had to recruit a footballer just to fill the spot.

Dang...should have let him keep walking the plank. Who did MM have to beat for 197 this year?

Better leave it be. 21guns will get wound up and start finishing all his comments with "FACT"!

So who did Nevills have to beat out for the job last year? He was the only hvy on the roster and Cael had to recruit a footballer just to fill the spot.
He beat out Jan Johnson, and another heavyweight, in the room, when he became healthy.

And...Iowa was a no name wrestling program (relative to winning national championships) before they begged that ISU wrestler named Dan Gable to coach them! At least Penn State had one national championship before we got Cael to come to PSU!:)
Iowa's first 2 championships were 1975 and 76. Gary Kurdelmeier was the Hawkeye head coach of those two teams.

Nah...he's got to write 9 or 10 paragraphs to convince himself.
I'm convinced based on results. Nah.. Truth is... I was convinced before I came up with the 2 minute write up, with facts, expert opinion about the state of NCAA wrestling from a wrestling legend who I've met and consider a foremost authority on collegiate wrestling. So dispute him or me... but don't dispute the results he speaks of.

Nick Suriano = Spencer Lee
Zain Retherford = Brandon Sorensen's David Taylor
Jason Nolf = David Taylor
Bo Nickal = Ed Ruth
Cenzo Joseph = Sky's the limit at 165
Mark Hall = The Stratosphere is his limit

I have a great sense of knowing that Penn State's future teams will negate Spencer Lee. But I do appreciate the uptick in Iowa recruiting as detailed by WildBoy. It will make beating Iowa... more pleasurable.

I feel enthused that the rivalry has some intrigue with Spencer choosing to go to Iowa. Something doesn't pass the sniff test on his decision NOT to go to Penn State. I don't have any more than that. It's not worth knowing at this point. But I will go with Dunke's assertion... that Penn State wanted Spencer Lee... but they didn't need him to dominate for the forthcoming future. Cael and coaches were well aware of that. And with 9.9 schollies... not every superstar or top 50 recruit out of PA is coming to Penn State as chronicled by WildThings astute analysis of PA kids who are going else where. Yes... some fairly good to great Pennsylvania prospects will go to other schools when there are only 9.9 scholarships to hand out to any one team. Thanks for that intellectual bone thrown our way... WildDog. We had no idea we could get Nick Suriano, Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, Cenzo Joseph, and Mark Hall all on one team, but we wouldn't be getting their understudies also. Thanks... for the buzz kill... bud. o_O

Amalone has been holding that in for awhile. All Amalone ever talked about was how Iowa couldn't recruit. Aaron Bradley, Mike Kemmerer, Kaleb Young, Gavin Teasdale, Spencer Lee. .. That's just in PA. How about saying congrats to Iowa on the good recruiting lately and look forward to the future battles.. Nope not happening.
Amalone doesn't have a humble bone in his body. Nothing but anger and hate inside him! Must be rough going through life like that.
I'll say congrats when those recruits pan out. Having your top 3 guys on the team (Iowa) not score a take down in the first three finals matches at the NCAA's makes me a tad gun shy to start handing out Brody Grothus, Savior Awards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21Guns
Is this the part where you start calling this "your" board again?
This is the part... where you face reality. Iowa hasn't been that good in the near term and needs to do much better or Terry and Tom will be doing more movies, but not on the side.

Rivalries are more interesting when they aren't so lopsided. The results, coaching awards speak for themselves. Penn State is creating a modern day collegiate dynasty and Iowa is looking to compete. Programs at completely different levels currently.

Iowa's first 2 championships were 1975 and 76. Gary Kurdelmeier was the Hawkeye head coach of those two teams.

I stand corrected. So what you are saying is that Penn State recorded a national Championship more than 20 years before Iowa did? So who has come to the party late? ;)

Reactions: nitlion6
What the world needs is another "Hud Samson"...because "Hud Samson" might be one of the coolest wrestling names in the history of wrestling.

Are you referring to JRob's unbeaten 5-0-1 dual record vs Cael's PSU team? Or to Minny's 93 B1G individual champs, 10 B1G team titles and JRob's 8 B1G Coach of the Years awards?
Still seeing those "Minnesota National Champions"shirts from a couple years ago when I visit Bermuda and Jamaica.

And Gable was an assistant coach for those teams so he was already at Iowa for I believe, 2 seasons, before they won their first team title.

Wrong year Jammenz. That was Nevills freshman year. I don't know why Lawson and Gingrich are not on that list. Here are links to stats from 2014-15 and the actual 2015-2016 roster which includes Jan Johnson.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/psu/sports/m-wrestl/auto_pdf/2014-15/stats/season_stats.pdf
http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-wrestl/archive/psu-m-wrestl-mtt-2015.html
But Johnson was not on the team to start the year, so as much as this pains me to say jammenz is right in saying that Neville did not have to beat anyone to get the starting role.

But Johnson was not on the team to start the year, so as much as this pains me to say jammenz is right in saying that Neville did not have to beat anyone to get the starting role.

He wasn't the starter, he got hurt. Jimmy Lawson went to the Nationals and finished 5th.

He's right, but as usual he has no point worth considering.

I was listening to Spencer on one of the Iowa talk shows and he expounded that they just felt at home within the Iowa campus. Pure speculation and I am not insinuating anything, but maybe he just didn't feel as comfortable within the culture at PSU. If you listen to most all of the PSU interviews over the past couple of years, each of those kids constantly spout out how grateful they are, etc., etc. Meaning there is a definitely a defined culture at PSU (aside from winning). Spencer may not have bought into that culture (yet) and simply felt more comfortable in the Iowa culture... Just saying.. Certainly hope he changes his mind!

I was listening to Spencer on one of the Iowa talk shows and he expounded that they just felt at home within the Iowa campus. Pure speculation and I am not insinuating anything, but maybe he just didn't feel as comfortable within the culture at PSU. If you listen to most all of the PSU interviews over the past couple of years, each of those kids constantly spout out how grateful they are, etc., etc. Meaning there is a definitely a defined culture at PSU (aside from winning). Spencer may not have bought into that culture (yet) and simply felt more comfortable in the Iowa culture... Just saying.. Certainly hope he changes his mind!
And Bo Jordan thought our practices weren't intense enough. Different strokes for different folks. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

Reactions: a_mshaffer

Culture smulture. Say what you really mean.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT