ADVERTISEMENT

MBB @ Rutgers

bdgan

May 29, 2008
8-3 Rutgers early. Omoruri owning Njie.

Early rebounds 7-2 Rutgers.

Pickett struggling to get into paint.

This is looking like a problem…they just keep feeding it inside.

Rutgers just keeps feeding it inside…I’m not sure why we never play a zone. Make them beat us from outside.

Reactions: nitlion93
He has got to learn to stop doing that. Where’s Dorsey?
In fairness the first foul was Omoruri going over his back. Bad call IMO. But yes, he has to learn.

Don't know where Dorsey is. Dread seems to be best option. It's a mismatch and working so hard hurts his shooting.

Reactions: Online Persona
In fairness the first foul was Omoruri going over his back. Bad call IMO. But yes, he has to learn.

Don't know where Dorsey is. Dread seems to be best option.
Dorsey in now and you’re right, that was a terrible call.

It would help if each and every game PSU doesn't miss easy ones down low. Happened twice already and was a crusher vs Wisky. It's truly amazing how rinse and repeat the problems are annually. But, it should be something we are immune to by now.

Exactly right as the broadcaster said... So much is predicated on Penn state hitting threes. we have very little 2 pt offense and a bunch of our players are nothing's on offense if they don't hit 3 point shots….. that's a tough way to survive in this conference

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Exactly right as the broadcaster said... So much is predicated on Penn state hitting threes. we have very little 2 pt offense and a bunch of our players are nothing's on offense if they don't hit 3 point shots….. that's a tough way to survive in this conference
It's just not consistent. When they hit the 3, they can beat anyone. When they don't, they don't have much else to get the W.

It's just not consistent. When they hit the 3, they can beat anyone. When they don't, they don't have much else to get the W.
No question but that is the issue. You have to find a way to get points in the paint and some easy ones to have any shot to win these games... and like 80% of our personnel are duds if they don't hit the long ball.

It does seem pretty frequently though that when our guys draw contact on a shot (like the last one of the half after the rebound) there is no foul called. They were talking about Clary not getting the call when he was tripped while driving to the hoop because he's a freshman. Sorry but why does that matter? It was obvious the defender stepped on his foot tripping him while driving. That's a foul. Call it.

Reactions: johnmpsu
It does seem pretty frequently though that when our guys draw contact on a shot (like the last one of the half after the rebound) there is no foul called. They were talking about Clary not getting the call when he was tripped while driving to the hoop because he's a freshman. Sorry but why does that matter? It was obvious the defender stepped on his foot tripping him while driving. That's a foul. Call it.
And when the Rutgers guy climbed up PSU’s back and they called the foul on PSU? Or the foul on the floor where the Rutgers guy wasn’t even close to shooting and they called it a shooting foul. Just some pathetic calls this game.

Dread...jeepers.
Dread's shooting suffers when he has to spend his energy defending a man 7" taller than him.

Also when Pickett can't get into the paint and kick it out to the shooters.

If we shoot better we have a shot and stop making the Rutgers center look like Olajuwon. Double him, don't let him be so comfortable.

Dread's shooting suffers when he has to spend his energy defending a man 7" taller than him.

Also when Pickett can't get into the paint and kick it out to the shooters.
So then Dread needs to switch or have Mahaffey, Dorsey, etc take some minutes.

Rutgers leads rebounds 22-14. I bet they lead points in the paint by 20.

PSU is one decent big man short of being a very good team.

Players like Edey, Dickenson, Crowl, and Omoruri totally dominate us.

Mahaffey had 2 fouls in 2 minutes. Dorsey gets owned too but I agree he might be our best choice.
And I agree with u... It's difficult on dread when he has to guard bigger guys… but frankly most of our team is undersized and smaller than our opponent each night… at some point you can't let it affect both sides of your game

Reactions: bdgan
Really curious to see how these 1st 4 or 5 minutes goes since we have established a very bad habit of starting slow throughout this big 10 season

It's a long season still to go and I hope I'm wrong, but it just looks like this team will be a couple of games short of making the dance ....and I don't want to begin to think what next year will look like unless we get some portal help.

For the oldest team in the country and a squad that has 5 different 1000 point scores we sure struggle to score and lack poise in big moments

Some will say that the problem is PSU not shooting well from 3. Funk 1-5, Dread 0-5, Wynter 0-2. But it's not that easy. Those guys are mostly spot up shooters. They have to be square to the basket and receive the ball in the shooting pocket.

I saw a couple of times where Pickett saw an open shooter but had to lob the ball high over taller defender arms. The shooter had to work to receive the pass and the defender had time to close out and get a hand up.

Reactions: bison13
For the oldest team in the country and a squad that has 5 different 1000 point scores we sure struggle to score and lack poise in big moments
Players like Wynter didn't score their points against BiG defenses.

Players like Wynter didn't score their points against BiG defenses.
I'm Quite confident there are literally hundreds of transfers playing all over the country and not all of them came from high conference basketball that don't have this many dry nights…. I agree with your premise but the point still stands that we are very old and experienced with basketball in general and it sure doesn't show most nights. As a counter to that… dread has scored all of his 1000 as a Big 10 guy, and yet it looks like hes never played basketball some nights

Last edited:
I'm Quite confident there are literally hundreds of transfers playing all over the country and not all of them came from high conference basketball…. I agree with your premise but the point still stands that we are very old and experienced with basketball in general and it sure doesn't show most nights. As a counter to that… dread has scored all of his 1000 as a Big 10 guy, and yet it looks like hes never played basketball some nights
Dread has never been able to create his own shot. He sets up on the perimeter and waits for someone else to create for him.

D. Johnson is a good shooter but he's too soft for this level. Opponents are too fast and too strong for Wynter. Clary might have a chance but he's still young.

Dread has never been able to create his own shot. He sets up on the perimeter and waits for someone else to create for him.

D. Johnson is a good shooter but he's too soft for this level. Opponents are too fast and too strong for Wynter. Clary might have a chance but he's still young.
Yes, Wynter has become an absolute non-factor. Clary at least takes the ball to the hoop. I continue to be confused as to why we try to match up man to man against teams that can eat us up inside. Make them beat us from outside. I would also like to see us press a little to quit giving teams the full shot clock to work it inside. Shorten up their game a little.

Rutgers wins rebounding 43-26.
Rutgers wins blocked shots 5-1.
Rutgers made 15 FTs vs 5 for PSU.
Rutgers probably had 20 more points in the paint.

Pickett, Lundy, and Funk can play at this level. Dread is a good utility player.

Clary, Njie, and Mahaffey might be good in a couple of years but not now.

Wynter struggles at this level. D. Johnson has had plenty of time but still seems overmatched.

Reactions: scrivener

Pickett, Lundy, and Funk can play at this level. Dread is a good utility player.

Wynter struggles at this level. D. Johnson has had plenty of time but still seems overmatched.
I’m not seeing it from Njie….I know he’s a freshman, but he has terrible hands and he gets way too many shots blocked. I hope he can develop, but to me it doesn’t look like a development issue, it looks like a lack of basketball ability issue.

Reactions: scrivener
I continue to be confused as to why we try to match up man to man against teams that can eat us up inside. Make them beat us from outside. I would also like to see us press a little to quit giving teams the full shot clock
Both excellent points IMO. Try the 2-3 zone that Syracuse has had so much success with over the years.

Reactions: AWS1022

Sobering post...but agreed. We just don't have enough high quality, or quality B1G players. Pretty darn frustrating.

I’m not seeing it from Njie….I know he’s a freshman, but he has terrible hands and he gets way too many shots blocked. I hope he can develop, but to me it doesn’t look like a development issue, it looks like a lack of basketball ability issue.
Yes! His hands are awful....and wasn't he like the 2nd highest rated recruit in program history?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT