ADVERTISEMENT

My God Tennessee, what happened?

Tennessee...is run by idiots, the University, the state, the county and local government..... lead poisoned zombies from birth.
They are great drivers, though. They just line up their hood ornaments with the center stripe and zoom away. I have stayed alive by driving 2 inches from the ever-present ditches.

EDWGlbuUEAAFIAQ

Hey, take it easy on “Route 61 and the Coal Mountains” — I live two blocks from 61 And a Coal Mountain

My wife is from Hamburg. My in-laws are from Orwigsburg and my Grandfather was from Shenindoah .... So I am speaking from a "home-boy" perspective...

Just saying that for those people who wanted to rip parts of TN for being backwoods .... let's just say that the drive from Hamburg/Port Clinton up Rte. 61 to about Shenindoah is not ever going to be confused with Park Avenue.

I hate the fanbase of U. of Tenn as much as anyone else ... But let's stop at judging other people based on where they live and specifically drawing in-correct assumptions about 99% of them.

My wife is from Hamburg. My in-laws are from Orwigsburg and my Grandfather was from Shenindoah .... So I am speaking from a "home-boy" perspective...

Just saying that for those people who wanted to rip parts of TN for being backwoods .... let's just say that the drive from Hamburg/Port Clinton up Rte. 61 to about Shenindoah is not ever going to be confused with Park Avenue.

I hate the fanbase of U. of Tenn as much as anyone else ... But let's stop at judging other people based on where they live and specifically drawing in-correct assumptions about 99% of them.
Hey @Kiber, I’m a coal cracker from Mt. Carmel, too like @colt21, but now live in Southern York County, 30 minutes from the Baltimore beltway. Your posts about driving thru many parts of Pa really resonated with me. Where did you grow up and where did you go to high school?

I get it - I was just bustin a bit.

It was kind of funny to me because my commute every day is route 61 from MC to Hamburg and then 662 for 10 miles.

I’m not a big fan of UT fans because we attended the 2007 Outback Bowl and they were not very nice at all. I mean they wouldn’t even say Hi or even nod at you in the hotel elevator. In the parking lot for the game same way

Just an odd lot all the way around.

But the sad truth is that the Coal Region is a total mess. There are a lot of second and third generation “locals” that were raised after Coal was king and they don’t do so well. AND there are a lot of “out of towners” who certainly aren’t coming here because they are the best of the best.

I know everyone says this a lot but it truly “isn’t like when I grew up”.

Back to the point of your post - I agree, that even though I’m not a fan of the Rocky Top fans judging people that way is inappropriate. I mean, hey, just look at some of the folks who post on this board!:cool::(:eek::rolleyes:;)

If he was smart, he'd monetize this phenomenon he constantly witnesses. In Lancaster County they have tour buses going through Amish country. Why can't we have armored tour buses going through Tennessee nazi country? Get a box lunch. Take some photos for your instagram account. Etc.

Glad you’re back and keeping things apolitical as usual.

Reactions: 83wuzme
Seriously, what the hell happened to Tennessee? Fired Fulmer and then they drop off, ..............

somethings amiss. Such a strong tradition and history. Seems like the Golden Opportunity for the right coach to make a name.

Kiffin, Dooley & Jones happened. I agree though that it would be a potentially great job for the right head coach.

Seriously, what the hell happened to Tennessee? Fired Fulmer and then they drop off, ..............

somethings amiss. Such a strong tradition and history. Seems like the Golden Opportunity for the right coach to make a name.
They should have hired Schiano. Proven head coaching experience. Unfortunately they let the fans and boosters run the show down there.

Hey @Kiber, I’m a coal cracker from Mt. Carmel, too like @colt21, but now live in Southern York County, 30 minutes from the Baltimore beltway. Your posts about driving thru many parts of Pa really resonated with me. Where did you grow up and where did you go to high school?

Exeter. Our family moved out of Reading to Exeter when I was 5 yrs old.

My Dad had a business in Orwigsburg so I spent plenty of time on Rte. 61

TN, Florida St., Texas, USC ..... these are all power programs that I point too when arguing with the anti-Franklin people who want to run James Franklin out of town because we missed out on another NY6 Bowl last year and "only" went to the Citrus Bowl. IMO, when compared to how long those power programs have been down ...... for no reason other than they changed/lost coaches ...... it's amazing what Franklin (and OB) have done. Considering that we burst back into relevance in 2016, just 4 seasons after getting hit with "Walking Death Penalties". TN, FSU, Nebraska, USC... those programs have been down for more than 4 years, and why???

Reactions: PoquosonLion
most of you aren't old enough to remember 1971 and what assholes their fans were at that game

if they are down another 100 years it won't be long enough

Many penn state fans, Kentucky fans, and VATech fans, and WVU fans are back woodsy types and fiercely loyal to the school in their region. Just like the Vols. Yet a representative group of Vols fans are levels below in class. Why is that? They are overhyped typically. Is it SEC entitlement and bitterness they never live up to the hype? You would think with a similar demographic that they would be more humble and friendly. It is a shame a few can ruin the perspective others have of a fan base.

I was at both Tennessee games. My brother is a graduate and lives in Knoxville. Tennessee fans are obnoxious as most opponent’s fans. My favorite memory is the last two bowl games against TN. The Holiday Bowl when we came back to win big and the Outback Bowl in the rain. After both games, Smokey was running out of the stadium with his tail between his tail between his legs.

Reactions: step.eng69
I joined this discussion on page three so sorry if this has been covered already. TN's schedule shows at most five should-win games in the next eleven. A losing season is a real possibility. I wonder if Mordecai McDaniel sticks with his commitment, especially if a losing season forces a coaching change?

Reactions: PoquosonLion
I was at both Tennessee games. My brother is a graduate and lives in Knoxville. Tennessee fans are obnoxious as most opponent’s fans. My favorite memory is the last two bowl games against TN. The Holiday Bowl when we came back to win big and the Outback Bowl in the rain. After both games, Smokey was running out of the stadium with his tail between his tail between his legs.

Holiday Bowl? We’ve never played them in the Holiday Bowl. We played them in the Citrus Bowl in 94, and beat the crap out of them a couple years earlier in the Fiesta Bowl.

I joined this discussion on page three so sorry if this has been covered already. TN's schedule shows at most five should-win games in the next eleven. A losing season is a real possibility. I wonder if Mordecai McDaniel sticks with his commitment, especially if a losing season forces a coaching change?

Not just a losing season, but what comes with it in terms of a real ugly & nasty fanbase. I heard the boos and cat-calls during the 2nd half yesterday were loud and clear. Imagine a recruit watching a UT game on TV, or visiting during a big weekend, and he hears all the boos from the home-team crowd and sees a half-empty stadium. If they do not turn it around very quickly, things could get real ugly in Knoxville.

In a weird way, FSU is in a little better situation because their fans will just get apothetic and stay away. IMO, it's a little better having quit & absent fans, then fans who will show up just to yell & boo.

Holiday Bowl? We’ve never played them in the Holiday Bowl. We played them in the Citrus Bowl in 94, and beat the crap out of them a couple years earlier in the Fiesta Bowl.

1992 Fiesta - PSU 42 - UT 17
1994 Citrus - PSU 31 - UT 13
2007 Outback - PSU 20 - UT 10

UT has been very good to us in bowl games. :)

1992 Fiesta - PSU 42 - UT 17
1994 Citrus - PSU 31 - UT 13
2007 Outback - PSU 20 - UT 10

UT has been very good to us in bowl games. :)

We were actually losing at halftime of that Fiesta Bowl. Then we scored 35 points in the 3rd quarter.

Reactions: BBrown
OK. Then you take a drive from Erie down to Pittsburgh. Or take a drive from Reading up thru the coal mountains up Rte 61. Or how about take a drive from Scranton over to Altoona........

Hey ahole. Don't put Reading in the same sentence with coal country and disrespect us with that piece of shit city.

As a fellow destroyerman I got a kick out of that. Strong back and weak mind is all you need to make BMC.

At the same time, much respect to the deck apes. Tough job that somebody has to do.

What ever happened to Shoop and the lawsuit from Penn St?

Very confused by all of the people defending Clay Travis. What’s up with that
I used to like TC. He was difference in a field of homogeneous, boring Sports Talk people. Enjoyed how he bashed ESPN on a regular basis, pointed out their PC BS. I haven't listened to him since his moronic attack on Sciano. He and the rest of the idiot Vols fanbase deserve exactly what they are getting. What reasonably promising would ever take a job at that mess of a place?

Tennessee fans got what they unintentionally wanted when the stopped the Schiano hiring.

Despite not many high quality games today there were some interesting things starting with Florida State should fire Taggart immediately. They should have never hired him but they definitely need to fire him. Hunter Johnson was a huge disappointment for Northwestern. Iowa State is highly overrated and I admit I bought into that hype.
I'm not sure about Iowa State yet. It didn't look good, but UNI has consistently been a good FCS team. They tend to play well against good opponents. In 2009 Iowa had to block a UNI field goal twice on back-to-back plays to preserve a win 17-16. That Hawkeye team was 9-0 until the QB got hurt against Northwestern and ended up 11-2 with an Orange Bowl win and #7 ranking. Iowa State may have been looking ahead to this week. And that defense may have been better than most they'll see in the Big 12.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT