ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Lineup Question

It will be interesting to see where MM fits in weight-wise. Also where he stands in folkstyle.

I am probably most excited to see Berge and Verk.

This might not be the highest scoring team PSU has had but top to bottom it might be their most complete lineup.

It’s MM’s time to take over at 65... VJ bumping up and a MH redshirt seems logical as I suspect it was a challenge for Cenzo to make weight towards the end of the year. Sure looked like it against Marinelli and Lewis. The uppers redshirting also makes sense. Has there been any recent Conell sightings?

I don't really believe that MH will RS. I see him finishing up and training FS full time. Right now he doesn't have an Olympic weight to naturally slot into. Look how long it took Taylor to mature into the correct weight for him. MH has said in the past that he is done at 74kg so that pushes him to 86kg (190lbs) and it would appear that he would need to add a lot of strength and horsepower to be effective there against the likes of Taylor, Dake, Ringer, Valencia and maybe Bo and Cox. Seems like a tall test in only a year.

I have been wrong in the past and will likely be wrong again so...

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
I don't really believe that MH will RS. I see him finishing up and training FS full time. Right now he doesn't have an Olympic weight to naturally slot into. Look how long it took Taylor to mature into the correct weight for him. MH has said in the past that he is done at 74kg so that pushes him to 86kg (190lbs) and it would appear that he would need to add a lot of strength and horsepower to be effective there against the likes of Taylor, Dake, Ringer, Valencia and maybe Bo and Cox. Seems like a tall test in only a year.

I have been wrong in the past and will likely be wrong again so...

You may be wrong but I agree with you on this one.

I agree with Amattaro's prediction.

Interesting point: If Hall doesn't take ORS, and this lineup is accurate, then we have all 5 upperweights redshirting. Joe Lee at 65, Starocci at 74, Brooks at 84, Beard at 97, Big Snacks Nevills at Hvw. That's an incredible amount of talent redshirting, and then potentially all hitting the lineup together in 20-21 season.

#Hawksin2025

Plus, people will have totally forgotton how good those recruits are.

Do you feel Joe Lee at 65 and or Starocci at 65/74 would beat out a Mason Manville in 20-21? Just looking for thoughts

Good point. More first world problems. :D

Reactions: jschrantz
Do you feel Joe Lee at 65 and or Starocci at 65/74 would beat out a Mason Manville in 20-21? Just looking for thoughts

Here's my uneducated opinion, jschrantz. If there's an open spot this year at 65 or 74, Manville would be my clear favorite at either weight.

But, if there's no opening this year and JLee and Starocci spend a year red shirting..... then in 20-21 I'd see JLee or Starocci vs. Manville as a toss up.

Reactions: jschrantz
Reminder if we're talking about the upcoming season:

Manville has qualified for an Olympic shirt as a Senior World Team member in Greco.

And given how specialized Greco is, technique wise he stands to gain the most from an Olympic shirt.

That may or may not be his plan but shouldn't be forgotten.

Manville has qualified for an Olympic shirt as a Senior World Team member in Greco.

And given how specialized Greco is, technique wise he stands to gain the most from an Olympic shirt.

Great. Hopefully Mason and Carson end up teammates even if Mason is 28 years old when that happens.

Yes, agreed.

Just a complete guess, but perhaps, if Mason is on the fence, his decision is based on Hall's decision. I.e. Hall shirts, Manville does not, and vice versa.

Yes, agreed.

Just a complete guess, but perhaps, if Mason is on the fence, his decision is based on Hall's decision. I.e. Hall shirts, Manville does not, and vice versa.

And just to reiterate my original point. If Hall doesn't shirt, we could see 5 upper weight guys redshirting. That could also lead to all 5 hitting the lineup at the same time. And that would appear to be a scary prospect for our opponents in future years. :)

And just to reiterate my original point. If Hall doesn't shirt, we could see 5 upper weight guys redshirting. That could also lead to all 5 hitting the lineup at the same time. And that would appear to be a scary prospect for our opponents in future years. :)

Starrocci, Brooks,Beard,Snax.

Who am I missin?

Can’t see where it’s been posted on any other threads, but today on FRL they mentioned that Hall will be taking his ORS this year. It was kind of said in a matter of fact sort of way, but I didn’t catch if a source for the info was given. Did I miss something and now it’s just a given that Mark is ORSing next year???

Is manville going to oly shirt to focus on greco? A line up with him at 65 and joseph at 74 would not be bad

Can’t see where it’s been posted on any other threads, but today on FRL they mentioned that Hall will be taking his ORS this year. It was kind of said in a matter of fact sort of way, but I didn’t catch if a source for the info was given. Did I miss something and now it’s just a given that Mark is ORSing next year???
Those guys have sounded pretty convinced of the matter for most of the summer. No sources cited though, that I’ve heard.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Those guys have sounded pretty convinced of the matter for most of the summer. No sources cited though, that I’ve heard.
I just don't see where Hall taking an ORS makes sense. I think it makes more sense to complete his folkstyle career this year and to then focus on freestyle.

Last edited:
Reactions: tabenn and andegre
I just don't see where Hall taking a ORS makes sense. I think it makes more sense to complete his folkstyle career this year and to then focus on freestyle.
I for one 100% agree with you. 74 or 86kg will be a blood bath this next Olympics and think Hall would be competitive but not a contender to win either spot. But alas at the same time, in wrestling there is no professional league like other sports (with the exception of MMA, but still not a sole wrestling league). World & Olympics are the closest thing to the Professional Leagues as it comes, so at the end of the day I cant fault Mark for trying to live out his dream and pursue something more. Not everything makes sense but just enjoy the ride and watch the Master's (Cael) plan unfold before our very eyes.

I just don't see where Hall taking a ORS makes sense. I think it makes more sense to complete his folkstyle career this year and to then focus on freestyle.
Hall has recently posted how much he is enjoying college so don’t be surprised if he takes his RS. It makes sense so Joseph can bump up for his final year. 65 is open but I like Manville there.

does anyone know the rules for olympic redshirts? does the student need to unenroll in classes? are they still allowed to practice with the team?

Hall has recently posted how much he is enjoying college so don’t be surprised if he takes his RS. It makes sense so Joseph can bump up for his final year. 65 is open but I like Manville there.
I guess it depends on what weight he goes in an Olympic year. I see Hall being at 74kg. If that's his Olympic weight, I could see him wrestling 165 this year.

Nothing leaking from the PSU insiders either. Who knows what is going to happen.
Nothing to leak. Coaches are focused on Cadet (7/29 - 8/4 in Bulgaria), Junior (8/12-18 in Estonia), U23 (10/28 - 11/3 in Hungary), and Senior (9/14-22 in Kazakhstan) World Championships. Always in touch with the PSU wrestles, this is NLWC season. Plenty of time to deal with who's wrestling and at what weight class later.

Last edited:
If Mark does take his OR than I really hope Cenzo stays at 165 and Brooks steps in at 174. I’ve said before and I still believe that AB has the talent and drive to be the next uber elite 4 time finalist from PSU. I think a lineup with Cenzo at 165 and AB at 174 is stronger than a lineup with Manville at 165 and Cenzo at 174. Also, with Cenzo’s body type he is better suited for 165. I know the cut is difficult from all accounts but if he can still make it than he should because the team is strongest with him at 165. Plus I just really really can’t wait to see AB in the lineup. Kid is special and man is he going to be fun to watch!

Also, if AB does go this year at 174 I hope that Beard goes at 197 as well. I know that Conel is around and obviously he is a great option. His injuries scare me a bit but really I just think that Beard is better. I think Beard is an absolute AA this coming year and possibly a finalist. PSU has been blessed with otherworldly duos in Cael’s tenure and I’m pretty sure that Brooks and Beard will belong in the conversation with Taylor/Ruth and Nolf/Nickal. It’s unbelievable to have that much talent come through a program in such a short time. Cael is a true genius to put it all together.

Also, if AB does go this year at 174 I hope that Beard goes at 197 as well. I know that Conel is around and obviously he is a great option. His injuries scare me a bit but really I just think that Beard is better. I think Beard is an absolute AA this coming year and possibly a finalist. PSU has been blessed with otherworldly duos in Cael’s tenure and I’m pretty sure that Brooks and Beard will belong in the conversation with Taylor/Ruth and Nolf/Nickal. It’s unbelievable to have that much talent come through a program in such a short time. Cael is a true genius to put it all together.
I remember being very eager to see Nolf, Nickal, and Nevills debut as true freshman too--it turned out OK for all, methinks. Going to be a f*n year regardless.

I don't have any reason to doubt the Flo guys, but I am really curious who they're hearing that from.

I guess it depends on what weight he goes in an Olympic year. I see Hall being at 74kg. If that's his Olympic weight, I could see him wrestling 165 this year.
If 74 kg is is hard as Hall has made it out to be, then going 165 for an entire NCAA season does not make the cut easier due to frequent weigh-ins. His best option would be to take the ORS to change his body composition and manage the descent slowly.

Two weigh-ins at 163 lbs is much less difficult than 15-20 at 165 lbs, followed by the two at 163 two weeks after NCAA at the trials.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT