ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Lineup Question

Ernst

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2001
I'm an avid Penn State wrestling fan...but this is my first ever wrestling post. Can someone give me their best guesses on next years line up? I know there are questions surrounding Rasheed's and Cassar's status. Thanks.

125 Teske
133 RBY or Gross
141 Nlee or Gross
149 Verk
157 Berge or JoeLee
165 Cenzo and Manville ORS
174 hall or Starrocci if Hall O-RS
184 rasheed if 6th year (Aaron brooks RS)
197 Conel and Beard RS
285 Cassar and Seth nevills rs

Wouldn't suprise me if Hall and Cenzo flip flop weights.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin310
I'm an avid Penn State wrestling fan...but this is my first ever wrestling post. Can someone give me their best guesses on next years line up? I know there are questions surrounding Rasheed's and Cassar's status. Thanks.

125-Teske
133-RBY
141-N. Lee
149-Verk
157-Berge
165-Manville
174-Cenzo
184-Marky
197-Conel
285-Cassar

I gave my rundown in the thread “a little bit of everything”. I think it is now on the second page

125 Teske
133 RBY
141 Nick Lee
149 Verkleeren
157 Berge
165 Cenzo
174 Hall
184 Rasheed
197 Conel
HWT Cassar

125 through 174 is relatively uncontroversial, though it could be tweaked.

184 - is contingent on Rasheed getting an additional year of eligibility; the wild card would be Aaron Brooks, who is grey-shirting now and could redshirt or start next year.

197 - could be Kyle Conel, transferring from Kent State (and who took 3rd last year, which finish was a surprise) or incoming true freshman Michael Beard, who some feel could be better than Conel. Conel has only one year of eligibility remaining so could buy Beard some time to develop.

HWT - like 184, is also contingent on Cassar getting an additional year and wanting to continue in school. Incoming freshman Seth Nevills is a possibility.

Brooks with an extra year in the room will just mean 4 better years later. He looks more than ready from neutral, but top and bottom wrerstling could be the difference down the road. Mr. Brooks already mentioned Aaron would not be upset to have Shak around for a year. I think guys like Brooks,Hall,Nolf,Bo, etc. are big picture guys. The dreams are bigger than any decision about who wrestles which year.

Question? There are 15 of them.
Who knows if Rasheed or Cassar return.
I counted 14 guys that can possibly redshirt in 2019-20.
ORS candidates are Berge, Verklereen, Hall, Joseph, and Manville.
RS candidates are RBY, NLee, Hall, JLee, Starocci, Brooks, Beard, Ball, Nevills.
Throw in possible transfers and you have incredible uncertainty all around. No weight is set.

Should be fun.

Seth Gross may transfer to PSU. Or may not. Also cenzo might move up. Or not. Mark might move up, or redshirt, or both, or neither. Conel could go at 197, or Beard. Rby might redshirt, or might not. Teske might be at 125, but what if schnupp beats him out? Bo Pipher could be in there and so could Manville. Cassar might go and might not. Same for shak.

Clear as mud.

Iowa, on the other hand, looking like the preseason 1...at least according to their fans.

Reactions: garw
I'm not sold on berge beating out Pipher yet. Sorry, but until the improvement happens all bets off.

125 - meredith/schnupp
133 - Teske
141 - RBY
149 - N. lee
157 - Berge/Verk
165 - Manville
174 - Joseph
184 - Brooks
197 - Beard
285 - Nevills

(Excluding potential Medical shirts, but Hall taking his shirt.)

Bragging rights for a week to the man, woman, or child that gets next year's line-up correct, three days after winning the National Championship ;):).

Kidding, sort of...good fun to mention, once again, the talent (especially the young not-yet-realized talent) that is here and coming in.

Already mentioned are some of the variables; redshirts, OLY redshirts, 6th years, and wrestlers moving weight classes. I see six weight classes that could have a different wrestler than several days ago, and an outside chance it's seven. Regardless which way I put it on paper, each line-up looks solid.

Reactions: garw and matter7172
RS candidates are RBY, NLee, Hall, JLee, Starocci, Brooks, Beard, Ball, Nevills.
Throw in possible transfers and you have incredible uncertainty all around. No weight is set.

Should be fun.
If Anthony Cassar doesn't return would Nick Nevills have a year of eligibility left?

Seth Gross may transfer to PSU. Or may not. Also cenzo might move up. Or not. Mark might move up, or redshirt, or both, or neither. Conel could go at 197, or Beard. Rby might redshirt, or might not. Teske might be at 125, but what if schnupp beats him out? Bo Pipher could be in there and so could Manville. Cassar might go and might not. Same for shak.

Clear as mud.

Iowa, on the other hand, looking like the preseason 1...at least according to their fans.
Other than 197, this is possibly the most fact free post ever on BWI. Including Spyker's.

Zero evidence of Gross coming to PSU, just one exceptionally flimsy speculation article.

Hall is absolutely not going 184. His Olympic weight is 163.

RBY is not shirting unless Cael punts the year. There is no backfill until Robbie Howard arrives in Fall 2020.

Teske is the 125. He's already done something Devin never has: he beat an NCAA qualifier.

I have to stop there. There's only so much time in the day.

I'm not sold on berge beating out Pipher yet. Sorry, but until the improvement happens all bets off.

I am, and no improvement is necessary. Berge was beating top 149s this past season, and was, IMO, already better than Pipher. With time in the room and the ability to wrestle at a more comfortable weight (if, in fact, he goes at 157), he should only improve and widen the gap.

125 - meredith/schnupp
133 - Teske
141 - RBY
149 - N. lee
157 - Berge/Verk
165 - Manville
174 - Joseph
184 - Brooks
197 - Beard
285 - Nevills

(Excluding potential Medical shirts, but Hall taking his shirt.)

giphy32.gif

Other than 197, this is possibly the most fact free post ever on BWI. Including Spyker's.

Zero evidence of Gross coming to PSU, just one exceptionally flimsy speculation article.

RBY is not shirting unless Cael punts the year. There is no backfill until Robbie Howard arrives in Fall 2020.

Teske is the 125. He's already done something Devin never has: he beat an NCAA qualifier.

I wish I shared your confidence on Hall making 163 with 2 hour weigh ins. Otherwise, yeah.

I am, and no improvement is necessary. Berge was beating top 149s this past season, and was, IMO, already better than Pipher. With time in the room and the ability to wrestle at a more comfortable weight (if, in fact, he goes at 157), he should only improve and widen the gap.
I would greatly savor Ohio State's upcoming Avoid Pipher Wrestle-Off.

Otherwise, Berge every time.

Reactions: bman1313
2020 Lineup:

125 Cassar loses 110lbs so he can make Olympic weight at 125. They don't teach the metric system anymore. He makes the best of it.
133: Seth Gross.....because he wants to win a NC ( I know he did....and would have won the Hodge if he didn't lose to Bryce )
141: Yanni....because Seth is coming and he wants to win a NC
149: Ashnault gets a 9th year and comes in as a Graduate Transfer
157: T. Berger...…...just so he can get a Bobbin-head will roll
165: Obi Wan....."These aren't the droids you are looking for" Works for takedowns as well.....he goes undefeated and unscored upon. No one ever throws a brick either.
174: Askren…….Because he can after winning UFC title
184: Shak...…….because he read the criticism on this board and is pissed.
197: Wanerov… Nobody whose name ends in ov ever loses in Eastern Europe. We just need to fly in those Olympic refs
285: Cenzo: When they go low.....he goes.....well he has no choice.....he goes lower

My take on 2020 ( hopefully humorous ).... I surmise the accuracy will be equivalent to some of the previous posts. :)

Last edited:

OP did say 'give me your best guesses' ....

Reactions: El-Jefe
2020 Lineup:

125 Cassar loses 110lbs so he can make Olympic weight at 125. They don't teach the metric system anymore. He makes the best of it.
133: Seth Gross.....because he wants to win a NC ( I know he did....and would have won the Hodge if he didn't lose to Bryce )
141: Yanni....because Seth is coming and he wants to win a NC
149: Ashnault gets a 9th year and comes in as a Graduate Transfer
157: T. Berger...…...just so he can get a Bobbin-head will roll
165: Obi Wan....."These aren't the droids you are looking for" Works for takedowns as well.....he goes undefeated and unscored upon. No one ever throws a brick either.
174: Askren…….Because he can after winning UFC title
184: Shak...…….because he read the criticism on this board and is pissed.
197: Wanerov… Nobody whose name ends in ov ever loses in Eastern Europe. We just need to fly in those Olympic refs
285: Cenzo: When they go low.....he goes.....well he has no choice.....he goes lower

My take on 2020 ( hopefully humorous ).... I surmise the accuracy will be equivalent to some of the previous posts. :)
That reads like an April HR post to Iowa's 2020 and beyond lineup.

Reactions: danoftw
Just a thought i had and would like to know others opinions but if Cassar decides it is time to move on, does anyone see Seth RS and having Conel move up to Heavyweight. If that’s so the lineup could look like:
157 berge
165 manville
174 Cenzo
184 hall
197 Shak/Beard
285 Conel
A little unorthodox and different but don’t think it’s impossible to see Conel as a Heavyweight

Reactions: Cenosillicaphobia

Should be fun.

Joseph has not qualified for an ORS yet, but Brooks has.

https://onwardstate.com/2019/01/16/...ble-for-olympic-redshirt-year-for-2020-games/

Reactions: lionlover
Criteria 3: Top 3 at 2019 NCAA Championship lol
He just qualified as of Friday Night when he won his Semi putting him nothing short of top 2

No he didn't. Here is the criteria you think he qualified under.
  1. Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both)

Reactions: rmg78
No he didn't. Here is the criteria you think he qualified under.
  1. Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both)
I was under the impression the must accomplish both was for a previous year NCAA champion. Meaning had Cenzo finished 4th this year he would need to be top 2 at U23 WTT. but that makes sense. I was thrown off with punctuation and interpretation

I was under the impression the must accomplish both was for a previous year NCAA champion. Meaning had Cenzo finished 4th this year he would need to be top 2 at U23 WTT. but that makes sense. I was thrown off with punctuation and interpretation

i'm with you on this one

(Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship)
OR
(NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials)

the "must accomplish both" could only reasonably be applied to an AND statement

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT