ADVERTISEMENT

No WVU tix for me.

ednit

Jul 23, 2001
Just got an email from Athletics saying I will NOT be getting game tickets for WVU. As a season ticket holder for 25 years I have never been denied tickets to an away game I was trying to get. I guess the smaller size of their stadium compared with increased demand by PSU fans has left me on the outside looking in. I guess I’ll have to look at the secondary market, just don’t want to pay an arm and a leg.

I was informed though, that I will be getting my tickets that I requested for the USC game.

Their PSU game is as big a game as they've had in quite a while. Pitt is the big opponent for them but is recurring. PSU is their ultimate traditional rival and we may not play again unless we meet in a bowl. So this is a "bucket list" game for many mountaineers. It will NOT be an easy game for us.

Last edited:
Wow...right now, the cheapest seat on Tickpick is $339 per seat! I would imagine the ticket brokers bought up all they could with whatever connections they have.

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Wow...right now, the cheapest seat on Tickpick is $339 per seat! I would imagine the ticket brokers bought up all they could with whatever connections they have.
I want to go to the game, but not at that price.

Their PSU game is as big a game as they've had in quite a while. Pitt and ND are big for them but are recurring. PSU is their ultimate traditional rival and we may not play again unless we meet in a bowl. So this is a "bucket list" game for many mountaineers. It will NOT be an easy game for us.
I expect that this will be the third or fourth most difficult game for PSU to win after OSU, at USC, and perhaps Washington or at Wisconsin. I'd be impressed if PSU actually wins that game in that atmosphere; that will show me that Allar has progressed while playing in a very tough road environment.

On the other hand, I don't expect WVU to be any better than they were last season, and they did have a good record, and they struggled to beat a bad Pitt team at home in a night game when they went up against a Pitt qb who barely could complete a pass.

Last edited:
Their PSU game is as big a game as they've had in quite a while. Pitt and ND are big for them but are recurring. PSU is their ultimate traditional rival and we may not play again unless we meet in a bowl. So this is a "bucket list" game for many mountaineers. It will NOT be an easy game for us.
It will be an easy game for us. Can we stop making average at best teams scary?

Just got an email from Athletics saying I will NOT be getting game tickets for WVU. As a season ticket holder for 25 years I have never been denied tickets to an away game I was trying to get. I guess the smaller size of their stadium compared with increased demand by PSU fans has left me on the outside looking in. I guess I’ll have to look at the secondary market, just don’t want to pay an arm and a leg.

I was informed though, that I will be getting my tickets that I requested for the USC game.

Received the same email. Had my season tickets in EE since 1980. Very disappointing!

They lost two outstanding OL but little elsewhere. Their QB improved a lot. It is our very first game in a very hostile environment. First games are tough and prone to mistakes. They aren't tOSU but they are a very good football team. The first quarter will be key. It will be a great window into how far Drew Allar has come in terms of leadership and game management. A few turnovers and penalties would be a disaster. Last year, at home, we got lucky when Allar hit a long TD early.

They lost two outstanding OL but little elsewhere. Their QB improved a lot. It is our very first game in a very hostile environment. First games are tough and prone to mistakes. They aren't tOSU but they are a very good football team. The first quarter will be key. It will be a great window into how far Drew Allar has come in terms of leadership and game management. A few turnovers and penalties would be a disaster. Last year, at home, we got lucky when Allar hit a long TD early.
If we can control their running game, we’ll be okay, and that includes containing their qb, who runs well but isn’t the best passer.

Reactions: EMCLION
From what I found WVU has played ND only 4 times total, and one of those was in a bowl game (1989-bowl, 1997, 2000, 2001), and it's surprising that ND has played them at all in the regular season as ND likes to schedule nationally but usually picks teams that are located where it helps their recruiting and WV does not produce much talent. WVU's old rivals are Pitt and PSU. It's great for them that Pitt was interested in playing them regularly.

Reactions: Obliviax

Just last week I asked an old friend and WVU grad to try and round up 2 tickets to the game. I don't believe he still has season tickets any longer, but he said he'd get his son (WVU pharmacy grad) on it for me but from all the posts here I guess I can't be too optimistic..... :(

I agree with Lando on this one! No one is mentioning the two obvious (and huge) advantages PSU will have. A new OC and DC and no game tape of any of the new schemes. Okay, there is Kansas and IU tape out there, but who knows what T Allen and Andy have up their sleeves? I agree WVU is solid and Morgantown is a tough environment, but I think the Lions win this one easily. Hope they don't have to open the new playbook to do it, but either way they win this one.

Defensive game plan against PSU should seem simple to start the year. Stack the box, and make Allar and the wide receivers beat you.

WVU finished with one less win than PSU in 2023, and the Big 12 arguably was a deeper conference than the Big 10.

We thumped WVU last year. The game was mildly close early because our offense was not great,but the game was never in doubt.

The Big 12 was Texas and 5 others trading wins near the top. Curious which team you think could have been 3rd best in the Big 10. Heck, I'd say we would have finished 2nd in the B12, worst case scenario.

Defensive game plan against PSU should seem simple to start the year. Stack the box, and make Allar and the wide receivers beat you.
Yep, that's what they'll do (and what our opponents did last season). However, I have a lot of faith in Coach K. I think he'll have the O playing loose and fast, even with an unproven WR room.

Reactions: heckmans
We thumped WVU last year. The game was mildly close early because our offense was not great,but the game was never in doubt.

The Big 12 was Texas and 5 others trading wins near the top. Curious which team you think could have been 3rd best in the Big 10. Heck, I'd say we would have finished 2nd in the B12, worst case scenario.
It’s a close call because in both conferences, there was a precipitous drop after the first two to three teams, but I think that the drop may have been a little less in the Big 12.

Hopefully our running game starts out very strong..

Reactions: bison13
Yep, that's what they'll do (and what our opponents did last season). However, I have a lot of faith in Coach K. I think he'll have the O playing loose and fast, even with an unproven WR room.
In the end, it’s going to come down to whether our qb has matured into a real on-field leader and is mentally prepared to win a game in a tough road atmosphere. Last season, he was pretty bad on the road except for the Maryland game, which I believe was his best performance, and the MSU game. However, PSU playing at Maryland is like a de facto home game, and the MSU game was at a neutral site against a bad team.

The 2023 numbers demonstrate that WVU had one less win than PSU and only a slightly lower strength of schedule. Per ESPN PSU had a sos ranking of 22 and WVU had a 28. Per Sagarin PSU had a sos ranking of 43 and wvu a 49. The game at WVU will be a very tough one and if we win that game by more than 7 points we are likely pretty damn good in 2024 likely heading into the cfp.

The game at WVU will be a very tough one and if we win that game by more than 7 points we are likely pretty damn good in 2024 likely heading into the cfp.

We won by 23 last year. The game showed some early flaws with the team. The issue is that they remained all year. We can win by 37 and it won't matter if OSU stones us again.

Their QB is a joke. He relies on broken plays with his legs. Check out his completion percentage. If we dont win that game easily we can forget contending for a title.

WVU finished with one less win than PSU in 2023, and the Big 12 arguably was a deeper conference than the Big 10.
Okay...to we need to break down WVU's win again or discuss how they avoided everyone with a pulse in the conference aside from once when they were rooted.

People need to stop trying to make bad teams good thinking it makes us look better.

WVU is a layup.

Reactions: WaylonJ
No excuse to lose to WVU. C'mon! We should handle them easily. We won easily last year with superior talent and nothing has changed except their O-Line is worse and our offense should be better.

Reactions: christoph

Same for me

Same deal for me - got the email, no WVU tickets. I might try the secondary market. We'll see.

I did get tickets for Wisconsin. Looking forward to that trip.

Okay...to we need to break down WVU's win again or discuss how they avoided everyone with a pulse in the conference aside from once when they were rooted.

People need to stop trying to make bad teams good thinking it makes us look better.

WVU is a layup.

West Virginia is not a bad team, and this game is far from a lay-up. Yes, we'll be favored and rightly so, probably in the range of 10-14 points, but it's on the road in what will likely be a pretty wild atmosphere against a team coming off a successful season and entertaining high hopes for an encore this year.

They also bring back most of their productive players on offense though the D looks to be potentially vulnerable. All in all, it will be a good test for us right out of the gate.

West Virginia is not a bad team, and this game is far from a lay-up. Yes, we'll be favored and rightly so, probably in the range of 10-14 points, but it's on the road in what will likely be a pretty wild atmosphere against a team coming off a successful season and entertaining high hopes for an encore this year.

They also bring back most of their productive players on offense though the D looks to be potentially vulnerable. All in all, it will be a good test for us right out of the gate.
Yep. Not saying we should or will lose. What I am saying is that we face a good, physical team in a hostile environment. This is college kids and they get rattled. We should win, but anything can happen. Versus Kent or BG, you've got a lot more space to play in and still get the win. The better teams force you to play a better game. WVU is a good team, early and in a tough environment = not a lot of room for error.

Reactions: Jerry

They're not a good team. We're probably favored by 10-14 on the road. It's a game we should win easily. This isn't 5 years ago when Franklin mismanaged games against weaker opponents and lost--we've fixed that.

There's no vulnerability here at all. Greene completed 52% of his passes last. FIFTY TWO. They got lucky with their schedule last year and won more games than their talent predicted. It happens.

This is a layup. Even if close at the half, like last year, we run away in the second half. That's what great teams do. Stop making us worse than we are which is what you're doing by hyping up an average at best Big XII squad.

Yep. Not saying we should or will lose. What I am saying is that we face a good, physical team in a hostile environment. This is college kids and they get rattled. We should win, but anything can happen. Versus Kent or BG, you've got a lot more space to play in and still get the win. The better teams force you to play a better game. WVU is a good team, early and in a tough environment = not a lot of room for error.
Would Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, etc fans be concerned about WVU--we all know the answer is no.
Stop pretending this is the 80s and their isn't a huge gap between us and most teams.

Honestly, I think this is the problem
Many posters here falsely believe that saying "West Virginia is a good team and a tough opponent" somehow makes us better if we beat them. It doesn't. We all know we're supposed to beat West Virginia. The fact anyone has any concern about the game simply means you don't think we're actually good.
Upsets happen but very rarely to well-coached, top-tier teams. That's where we are at.
It's a good thing that we don't have to pretend WVU is a scary opener.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT