ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Illinois Game Thread

The Good: Pry makes great halftime adjustments
The Bad: seems like Pry only makes adjustments at halftime
The Ugly: Illini running for 9ypc doesn't bode well for next week.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
Speed is important but d-ends are to small at this point, light in weight and not physical. They are running everywhere but are killing us on the corner. D end getting kicked out play after play. why did we get away from running Miles? I am frustrated

Reactions: Ski and Novalions
I remember when Penn State was known for its defense. Not so much anymore. Illinois scored 10 unanswered points at the end of the second quarter.
Trite to say, but you win championships with defense. This team's going nowhere with this defense.

Reactions: Ski
Robert Smith is right. Our defense looks very slow and out of position. OSU is locking their chops. This could be ugly next week.

Oh, by the way, Illinois gets the ball to start the 2nd half.

Game reminds me a lot of when Cuse best Clemson early in year and on a Friday night too.

Looks like our LB’s are not making their reads most of the time.
Even when they appear to be in position, they can’t get off blocks. Bad angles, bad tackling, slow reaction.

There is a lack of talent on defense and it’s becoming painfully obvious. Recruiting misses at LB and DT combined with injuries at DE have left the defense with marginal talent overall.

As for coaching, these prolonged meltdowns on defense are now a trend. It’s not like we’re running into a hot offense over and over. The system is breaking down and costing the team games. Is it time to question Pry’s job security?

Reactions: ralphster
Looks like our LB’s are not making their reads most of the time.
Even when they appear to be in position, they can’t get off blocks. Bad angles, bad tackling, slow reaction.

Yep. And the DL has done nothing.

So now PSU is a Friday night feature , do you all still make fun of teams that stoop so low to play on this night ? You all wouldn't be hypocrites would you ?
Yes, you dumba$$....Illinois decided to play on Friday....PSU had no say in this decision! Typical clueless Pitt fan....did you get your free beverage 2 weeks ago or did you bail with the rst of your fan base during the beat down

They will load the box and use run blitzes to blow things up. That formula worked against Pitt. These guys have speed though, so we could see them break a couple.

We have some physical talent that has risen above the sloppiness and inconsistency but the holes on our Defense and lack of a consistent WR is now out there
We got away with poor execution and sloppiness against the DII team and Kent State but it almost cost us against App State and its gonna cost us tonight

Out back seven on defense is most concerning.

Let’s run Sanders and work maybe one TE and let’s see what a few new WR can bring

Bad decision and bad pass, but even worse decision by the coach(es) to throw in the first place. Run three safe plays and punt. Big Franklin fan, but that was a bad coaching decision.

You send everyone deep and throw a pass out in the flat to Sanders and let him go. (He was all along out there, Trace was looking deep right the entire time. Look deep right, throw short left.....you’d have 20 yds easy on a no risk play.)

Reactions: Novalions
That’s TOTALLY on Franklin.

After the penalty on the return, YOU TAKE A FXXKING KNEE and go to the locker room.

that is totally correct. 37 seconds on your 15 yd line......just run the ball and go to halftime. no need for the INT to have ever happened. the odds of success are so small it is not worth it.

Reactions: psuno1 and Pride
Stop worrying about WHO get's the ball to start the 2nd half!
What are you talking about? Illinois has all the momentum and they get the ball to start 2nd half. They are going to continue to pound the ground game and hit passes over the middle. Defense has lots of issues that will carry over the rest of this year. This team will be in lots of shoot outs the entire BIG season.

I think the DTs were being stood up and pushed around. When you give up leverage it does not matter how big you are. Those guys are the real problem for this defense.
No doubt this has been a major problem. Our linebackers can’t get off blocks and are constantly picking the wrong holes.

Speed is important but d-ends are to small at this point, light in weight and not physical. They are running everywhere but are killing us on the corner. D end getting kicked out play after play. why did we get away from running Miles? I am frustrated

you are seeing the impact of Bucholtz and Brown retiring. Miller and YGM are in that category but falls off after that.

halftime analysts saying Illinois much faster than PSU.

Reactions: psualt
You really just need to stack the box on us. It's our WR's that are the problem....we are woefully lacking receivers that can get any separation whatsoever. Not much speed there either. Smalling is our best, but he has the dropsies. Our second best receiver is our TE, Pat Dorsey, but he was suspended for the first three games and I have not even seen him out there. That's about it for us.

I think the DTs were being stood up and pushed around. When you give up leverage it does not matter how big you are. Those guys are the real problem for this defense.
Welcome to Franklin’s version of Vanderbilt football.

You really just need to stack the box on us. It's our WR's that are the problem....we are woefully lacking receivers that can get any separation whatsoever. Not much speed there either. Smalling is our best, but he has the dropsies. Our second best receiver is our TE, Pat Dorsey, but he was suspended for the first three games and I have not even seen him out there. That's about it for us.
Can you coach our D?

you are seeing the impact of Bucholtz and Brown retiring. Miller and YGM are in that category but falls off after that.

halftime analysts saying Illinois much faster than PSU.

They aren’t faster.....but their O is making the PSU D look like they’re wearing boots, not shoes.

To be fair, the offense is close to "reloading" state. The defense is definitely in "rebuild" mode. How long will the rebuild take? Anyone's guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT