ADVERTISEMENT

Okie state vs hawks

The beer is Guinness. Nothing else.

I am good with Guinness and a home grown ribeye, cooked medium rare! I’ll throw in a good bourbon and some @hlstone cheesecake for dessert!

Is this anything like Flo giving free accts to senior athletes?

Senior posters gonna come out of the woodwork for this.

I don’t consider myself a senior poster, but I recognize a good deal when I see it!

Reactions: Hotshoe and hlstone
Lee getting pinned reminded me of IMar getting pinned. No fight from his back b/c unlike lesser wrestlers, he has no experience in that position and gives up once he's there. Gas tank might have had something to do with it as well, but still, it was only the second period.
I don't know about ... He was pushing off of his heels pushing/bridge like motion. Picc really locked it tight!

Reactions: Dogwelder
So you don’t believe anything is wrong or has been wrong with him this year? Excuses are a fan’s thing, the reason you don’t hear about Valencia is because you don’t hear about ASU or their wrestling team nor do you care to. I’ve read lots of people comment on the weight cut having an affect on Valencia this year, as he not only has had two losses but also a few closer wins than expected against inferior competition.
1. His health had nothing to do with today’s match period. He did a split and got cradled same thing happened to Megaludis a few years ago he lost the match but didn’t get stuck.
2. I hope he gets healthy as I hope to see him represent the US for many years to come.
3. HR has several posters that are clueless period. Lack of experience actually taking the mat is obvious.

Reactions: diggerpup
Maybe it was getting bounced R12 last year and having his last two matches of 2018 ending by Pin and TF but something is motivating Picc like no other .... he's literally a different animal this year.

He's well on pace to be a Hodge Finalist if he keeps this up (28-0, 80% + Bonus Rate, just packed the returning champ)

Spencer actual looked "ok" up until... He had looked much better the past few matches.

I think its a little bit of you live by the sword and you can die by it if you are not careful. I have seen, him, Austin and yes even Yianni hang out on that single leg split on Def. Yianni is the king, and the one thing you won't see him do is bring his head to his own knee. I've seen it elsewhere and wondered why the offensive wrestler doesn't try to just turn it into a cradle instantly. if you're hanging out in the splits it's a MUST that you keep the head high and Spencer didn't do that. I think I oponents should be looking for that for the rest of his career because he ends up in the splits 50% of the time someone gets a single on him.
usually the they have the wrist which prevents a cradle. Nico showed us how to do it!

5c7319bca2c9e.png

Please caption this photo.

Brokeback Mountain II ………..Lord.........I Apologize

Last edited:
I listened to the Hawkeye radio call today of the Okie St match. The announcer was very good, I think his last name was Glass. Very knowledgeable and discriptive. Not the homer like Ironhead, who is great if you're a Penn State fan, which I am.
Brands was interviewed afterwards and was very honest. Basically said they have to get in better condition and get better getting out from bottom. He said he warned his team that they were taking "shortcuts" because of there recent opponents. He also praised Okie St.
I assume you mean Steve Grace.

1. His health had nothing to do with today’s match period. He did a split and got cradled same thing happened to Megaludis a few years ago he lost the match but didn’t get stuck.
2. I hope he gets healthy as I hope to see him represent the US for many years to come.
3. HR has several posters that are clueless period. Lack of experience actually taking the mat is obvious.

1. I agree, I think he was gassed after the first but didn’t have any bearing on him getting cradled up. He’s been vulnerable quite a bit this year in that splits position. Picc had it locked up a couple times last year in the dual but couldn’t do anything with it.

2. Agreed

3. Agreed, the quality and knowledge of posters there has gone down over the last couple of years and is often unbearable to read.

Reactions: nitlion6
I was watching PSU match and flipped just in time for Lee's 2nd period. For the lumps Iowa took, I still think they wrestle tough. For Tom to say they need to get in better shape he's going to kill them because to a man it appeared they pushed to the end. AD wrestled tough, though Fix would have a td fest but was wrong. If you're going to wrestle a Hawkeye you better be ready to 7 min's IMO.

This match is gonna leave a mark on the intranet

SLee is no longer the baddest man at 125
ADs got Humbled and boooo'd. Kid is only a sophmore, what kind of heel will he be in 2 years.
Seems like Warnerov heard there was a russia investigation and went into WitPro
Stoll wrestling like Stoll did but now with a whole in his leg
TnT back on the must fire block without a single person that could take that job out there and do anymore with it

#202?isveryreal

For some of you HR guys, not all posters trolling your site are BWI people. You should realize how easy it is to create a handle and link at another site. You guys hate the trolling I get it, but for 30 years you were the DBs of wrestling. Now it comes back and your upset?

What happened to the pride of "We hate you too"....You guys are the evil empire. Suck it up, play the roll
On the plus side- Lugo a finalist again.

The bottom line is you guys have no idea whether he had mono or not.
He won ten matches between losses and looked fine. I agree SL is an all around better wrestler than most but it isn't out of the question that some of the 125 lbers are catching up to him .people are not wrestling scared like they used to .he is going to face some stiff challenges in the near future whether he's sick or nkt

Yeah, that’s the bottom line. The only “confirmation” is Ironside saying on the radio earlier in the season that he had a “mono-like illness.”

I don't know Lee or anyone on the Hawk program, so I'm not taking any position on this. However, I do remember about 20 years ago that Darrell Vasquez from CA and Cal Poly had a promising career ahead of him where he had already made it as an AA in college. Everything was cut short because he contracted a mono like illness that does not go away. I don't remember what it was called, but he eventually had to leave school and I don't think he ever competed again. Very sad story, and I sure hope that Lee isn't dealing with something similar.

How had Lee's match proceeded prior to the pin?

aaah, I see it now. Scoreless 1st; 2nd - Pic escapes, and gets td into fall

Last edited:
I listened to the Hawkeye radio call today of the Okie St match. The announcer was very good, I think his last name was Glass. Very knowledgeable and discriptive. Not the homer like Ironhead, who is great if you're a Penn State fan, which I am.
The guy who was on KXIC? Yeah, he can describe the action, but Cowbell nailed it, every match was the Poke "has our leg." Our leg.

The NBC Notre Dame crew thinks that guy is homertastic.

Spencer Lee isn't the only guy wrestling fans said would never lose again only to lose while #1 and then again by getting cradled and decked. The difference is that nobody is claiming Zahid Valencia must have mono. The excuses seem to be an HR thing.
Nobody claimed David Taylor had mono either when he put his head to close to his knee against Jenkins and paid for it.

I was watching PSU match and flipped just in time for Lee's 2nd period. For the lumps Iowa took, I still think they wrestle tough. For Tom to say they need to get in better shape he's going to kill them because to a man it appeared they pushed to the end. AD wrestled tough, though Fix would have a td fest but was wrong. If you're going to wrestle a Hawkeye you better be ready to 7 min's IMO.

Unless you pin them. *See 125 lb bout*

Reactions: Dogwelder
I don't know Lee or anyone on the Hawk program, so I'm not taking any position on this. However, I do remember about 20 years ago that Darrell Vasquez from CA and Cal Poly had a promising career ahead of him where he had already made it as an AA in college. Everything was cut short because he contracted a mono like illness that does not go away. I don't remember what it was called, but he eventually had to leave school and I don't think he ever competed again. Very sad story, and I sure hope that Lee isn't dealing with something similar.

Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), also known as human herpesvirus 4, is a member of the herpes virus family. It is one of the most common human viruses. EBV is found all over the world. Most people get infected with EBV at some point in their lives. EBV spreads most commonly through bodily fluids, primarily saliva. EBV can cause infectious mononucleosis, also called mono, and other illnesses.

Lee looks exhausted but the larger issue might be how limited he is offensively. He scores with his firemans/kelly action from neutral but struggles when an opponent won't give him a handle. He is the best at his tilt I have ever seen, but not much else on top. College wrestling can become cruel to guys who lack diversity in attacks. He will still maul 95% of college wrestlers at his weight, but imo will struggle with the best couple of guys because of lack of scoring in other ways. A guy like Bo or Nolf can create offense from so many different attacks you simply can't scout your way to a close match without deciding to run. Bull has some of the same issues- Good leg attack and a mean chin whip, but he isn't going to surprise you with a bunch of strong kung fu you weren't prepared to counter attack. Spencer could use a Casey Cunningham to open up additional scoring and so could the Bull.

Lee looks exhausted but the larger issue might be how limited he is offensively. He scores with his firemans/kelly action from neutral but struggles when an opponent won't give him a handle. He is the best at his tilt I have ever seen, but not much else on top. College wrestling can become cruel to guys who lack diversity in attacks. He will still maul 95% of college wrestlers at his weight, but imo will struggle with the best couple of guys because of lack of scoring in other ways. A guy like Bo or Nolf can create offense from so many different attacks you simply can't scout your way to a close match without deciding to run. Bull has some of the same issues- Good leg attack and a mean chin whip, but he isn't going to surprise you with a bunch of strong kung fu you weren't prepared to counter attack. Spencer could use a Casey Cunningham to open up additional scoring and so could the Bull.

This is exactly what I've been saying. If you sit down and say, "how do we game plan for Spencer Lee?" you can sit down and write down about three very specific things you need to do to beat him. And then if you go out there and execute your game plan you can beat him.

Then you take a guy like Jason Nolf. Try sitting down and writing down a game plan for beating him.

Whenever I say that Spencer Lee is not dynamic, this is what I mean. Jason Nolf is dynamic. He can wrestle you any way he wants and win.

That and the Casey Cunninghams of the world are scouting Lee...those scouting reports have greatly closed he gap on Lee for those who can take advantage of them. Big reason whey Joseph beat IMar.

This is exactly what I've been saying. If you sit down and say, "how do we game plan for Spencer Lee?" you can sit down and write down about three very specific things you need to do to beat him. And then if you go out there and execute your game plan you can beat him.

Then you take a guy like Jason Nolf. Try sitting down and writing down a game plan for beating him.

Whenever I say that Spencer Lee is not dynamic, this is what I mean. Jason Nolf is dynamic. He can wrestle you any way he wants and win.

Tom and Terry were great but certainly not diverse or dynamic or whatever word fits best. M* was not great and even less dynamic. Where would Spencer get help in this area? It will have to come from outside that cave.

Tom and Terry were great but certainly not diverse or dynamic or whatever word fits best. M* was not great and even less dynamic. Where would Spencer get help in this area? It will have to come from outside that cave.
Spencer may need to do the Snyder thing. When stuck, spend a week in State College with the PSU staff and learn.

Stieber is the closest college comparison to Lee style wise, and he wasn't exactly renowned for a dizzying array of attacks. Even his coach said his matches were "double, bar, pin." He did a few things extraordinarily well.

Zain also said he didn't care if everyone knew what he was going to do. because they couldn't stop him.

No need to over-think this to death. Usually the simplest solution is the best one. Don't put your head near your knee.

He won ten matches between losses and looked fine. I agree SL is an all around better wrestler than most but it isn't out of the question that some of the 125 lbers are catching up to him .people are not wrestling scared like they used to .he is going to face some stiff challenges in the near future whether he's sick or nkt
So he is no Jason Nolf?

Lee is an outdoors man and a hunter--could very well be Lyme disease--I hope not, he is one HECK OF A TALENT

Stieber is the closest college comparison to Lee style wise, and he wasn't exactly renowned for a dizzying array of attacks. Even his coach said his matches were "double, bar, pin." He did a few things extraordinarily well.

Zain also said he didn't care if everyone knew what he was going to do. because they couldn't stop him.

No need to over-think this to death. Usually the simplest solution is the best one. Don't put your head near your knee.
I agree with you Jefe, but.....

All of the best we have see developed a new set of tools as time went by. Taylor was a crab ride beast in year one, and by senior year, used it maybe a 3rd of the time. Zain, everyone knew what was coming....bow and arrow...which did not exist in his freshman year. Instead you got wrecked by a leg ride and a trip to the MRI booth from the accompanying power half. Joseph is definitely not the same wrestler today and neither was Tank from beginning to end. They all look different as they acquire new tools and gain mature muscle. It isn’t just the experience of wrestling. It’s what is applied applied from the experience.

If course wrestling is basic and foundational. It doesn’t matter what they expect if you execute and impart will but those athletes are the best because they can change their game.

When they don’t change....well, then we have a good array of examples I don’t really need to provide names.

Reactions: tikk10
I agree with you Jefe, but.....

All of the best we have see developed a new set of tools as time went by. Taylor was a crab ride beast in year one, and by senior year, used it maybe a 3rd of the time. Zain, everyone knew what was coming....bow and arrow...which did not exist in his freshman year. Instead you got wrecked by a leg ride and a trip to the MRI booth from the accompanying power half. Joseph is definitely not the same wrestler today and neither was Tank from beginning to end. They all look different as they acquire new tools and gain mature muscle. It isn’t just the experience of wrestling. It’s what is applied applied from the experience.

If course wrestling is basic and foundational. It doesn’t matter what they expect if you execute and impart will but those athletes are the best because they can change their game.

When they don’t change....well, then we have a good array of examples I don’t really need to provide names.

So you're saying Cael and his staff can coach? ;)

Reactions: KCLion
Or could be nothing other than he has not adjusted and other wrestlers have.
that is a very good possibility, everyone has a ceiling. it just seems to me that SL has had gas tank issues this year, and I do not recall him having these issues in the past. It could also be that SL is not thieving in his new environment, maybe the pressure is getting to him, maybe his training is not what it should be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT